New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default The Goddess Liberators (IC)

Located at the center of the great continent of Talviria, the ancient city-state of Brixham has stood untouched for uncounted years. The great conflicts that enveloped the lands around the city have somehow never touched it, resulting in its status as something of a peaceful melting pot where all are welcome, so long as they do not do anything to disturb its peace.
    It is in this city that six well-traveled adventurers find themselves, standing before an age-old temple to a goddess they are unfamiliar with. They have come here from all across Talviria, with little in common except the faintly glowing white symbol that had recently appeared on the back of each of their hands, as well as the disembodied voice that urged them to come to Brixham immediately, or risk near-certain death. They each have also experienced repeated close calls with assassins on their way to the city, with no knowledge of why these people wanted them dead.
    As they stand before the temple, which seems to be little more than a tourist attraction, an enthusiastic woman in green robes bearing the symbol upon the backs of their hands rushes up to them.
    Oh, thank Rauha! You're all here and alive! Come, quickly!
    She leads the confused adventurers to an unobtrusive door in the wall of the temple and down a spiral staircase to the main chamber of the temple's surprisingly well-kept catacombs. In the main chamber, there is a great mural depicting a calm-looking figure holding back a black-armored legion from a city that looks very much like central Brixham. Beneath it stands a halfling man in elaborate white robes who looks at you with appraising eyes. He raises his hand towards the six in greeting.
    Well met, chosen ones. You may be wondering why we have brought you here, and why you have been attacked on your way. Perhaps it would be best to start from the beginning.
    You see, this temple is dedicated to Rauha, goddess of peace and protection. What we now know as Brixham was once her holy city. However, soon after the city was built, she was lost in the battle against the primordials, not dead but exiled to a distant dimension. Our goal is to free her so that she can bring peace to this land once more. Just think... the conflicts between elves and dwarves, between dragonborn and tieflings, between various human kingdoms, all fixed! We shall save untold lives!
    But we need a certain artifact to free her, known the Plane Key. After years of searching and scrying, I found it, located in the Ulvran Mountains. I hired a party of six adventurers to find it, but it never got here. As it turns out, each of the adventurers, except for their young sorceress, decided to take a part of the Key when they parted ways. Its potent energies have corrupted them over time, transforming them into powerful, influential individuals that are dangerous to go up against. I used a ritual of my own to seek out those strong and skilled enough to recover the Key and identified you. Unfortunately, I used a bit too much energy in casting the ritual and accidentally identified you to those in the service of the ones with the Key pieces, as well as others who would rather not have her freed. So I hastily contacted you and told you to come here as quickly as you could.
    The halfling sighs and sits in an ancient, ornate chair.
    Well, that's why you're here. Any questions?
    I am a:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Two-handed martial reach weapon. I do d10 weapon dice, weigh 12 pounds, and belong to the Axe group.

Many, many thanks to kpenguin for the amazing avatar.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Goddess Liberators (IC)

The tall Paladin speaks first, his voice echoing loudly from behind his silvery, winged helm. "A long lost goddess? Her powers of peace would be amazingly beneficial towards spreading civilization across the world. What good is peace if it does not bring salvation and progress to those who enjoy it?" He brushed aside his thick blue cloak as he made grand hand movements. His hand started to glow a soft blue, and he held it aloft. "If she is the spark to bring about peace and salvation, then I'll carry her torch to the halls of Erathis, where it will illuminate the world with the glorious peace that civilization can bring."

His armor is remarkably shiny, polished to a honed sheen, even in the soft light of the chamber. Covered head to toe, he looks as implacable as the stone walls of the city or the great pillars that were holding the temple aloft. A symbol of Erathis hung from his neck, made of platinum and gold, beaten into the shape of a castle's crenelations. A second symbol hung from his right wrist as a bracelet. The symbol was also adorned his large shield. A soft blue undershirt was visible through his armor's side openings. His large boots were made of heavy metal fitted over large leather boots. At his side hung an old looking sword, fitted snugly into a sheath of steel and dark brown wood.

It is hard to see any physical features of the paladin. His armor obscures any attempt to see his face or his body, though it is clear he must be quite strong to wear such armor so openly and so freely. His voice is deep and clear, and it holds a strong metallic echo thanks to his helmet. His standing posture is very professional and straight, like someone almost holding their breath. When he moves, he takes bold, powerful movements.

Eliyos stopped shining his hand like a torch, waving off the blue light the same way one would shake off some dirt. "I am Ser Eliyos, knight of Erathis and of the law. It is her that I represent. With her guiding hand of compassion and her steadfast support, we can accomplish anything. I am honored to meet you, your Holiness. Might I inquire your name?"
    Currently Playing:
    Rikard Loghaine in [4E] Grandpre Academy

Antivian Qualinyr in [4E] Keep on the Shadowfell

Avatar by the talented and generous Grinner!!!!

Check out this awesome website for D&D, MTG, Anime, Music, Movies, and more!!!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

The halfling nods.
    I am glad to have you on my side, Eliyos. I am Frederick Bekaeron, High Priest of Rauha. Anyone else?
    I am a:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Two-handed martial reach weapon. I do d10 weapon dice, weigh 12 pounds, and belong to the Axe group.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

Zel'phir is dressed from head to toe in dark clothing that hides his features. Always ready for battle, he carries his jagged blade in his left hand, and a crossbow in his right.

Spoiler
    Show

As the halfling reveals the source of the mark that has caused his recent trouble, a hand reflexively moves towards his chest. The last time he was marked it spared his life, but when it was removed he was in greater peril than ever. With this new branding, it appears that the danger has only increased.

He addresses the halfling in a raspy whisper.

"Where I come from, those who need protection are slaves to their protectors and those who wish peace are only rewarded with strife and violence. Your carelessness has put us all in danger. But I suspect we will need your cooperation to undo what has been done. Tell us where we should begin our search for the key so that I might be done with it."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

"You're saying is only half right, elf. Those who wish for peace should prepare for war." Eliyos's gauntleted fist clenched around his blade's hilt to accentuate his point.
    Currently Playing:

6. - Top - End - #6

Kobold

"Hrmph. When war fights war, war wins. Peace always loses."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Sarena, Scion of Arkhosia
    Sarena had been sitting there, listening, to the halfling's story about how he got her in this mess that she is in currently. It is a good thing that she is an awesome shot, or those that were hunting her would still be behind her.....instead they are dead in the forest.

Sarena had stood at the back of the room so that she could unfurl her wings, at least a little bit. She didn't mind keeping them close to her, but it felt good to stretch them out from time to time. She also been watching the Tiefling that had been summoned here eying the back of his head. "If what you say is true, little caster, then I should smack you around for a bit until I am satisfied. However, like the elf says we are now forced to work together to not only rid ourselves of your fool actions, but also to get back this "key" of yours to do so. However, working with someone like him," Sarena motions her head towards the Tiefling, "will be a test of my patience and control as not to shoot him through the eye. But I will go withe group and keep my eye on him."
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

"You speak like a Banite. If war for war's sake is your only purpose, then you've already lost. War is not a living, breathing thing. Conflict is an extension of a person's will and desire. War always ends in peace, no matter how short lived at times. If done correctly, then war will end in a long, stable peace. If done poorly, it ends with chaos, death, and eventually more war. So yes, we must be prepared to fight and kill, but it is not for the sake of war, but for the sake of peace that we must make war."
    Currently Playing:

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

The journey here had been... tiresome. Niyah usually preferred to travel but at her own pace. Getting told by a voice with no mouth that you must arrive at Brixham or die, only to then be attacked by assassins at almost every turn, is bound to annoy even the most optimistic. She didn't yet know if the people sent to kill her were doing so because of the mark on the back of her hand or because the people she hunted were keen to stop her in her tracks.

Either way, this business in Brixham hopefully wasn't going to take long. She had places to be and people to kill.

"Is this really the time to be arguing philosophy?" Niyah interjected, turning to the halfling, "This all sounds very familiar. Even though I never met the client personally, I assume it was you? I've been searching for the bastards that screwed me over. If you know where they are, I'll take care of them myself."
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGuy

The elf leans against his spear as he listens to the others having a philosophical discussion. He is of slightly higher than average height for an elf, with light brown hair and dark green eyes.

He grins wryly and says, "Everywhere I go, it's the same thing. People bickering over their perceived differences. I agree with her. We're all elves here and we need to work together to try to find these key pieces."
    Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live to serve. Our lives are yours.

Awesome Richard avatar by kpenguin!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Eliyos nodded in agreement at the actual elf. "I might not call myself an "elf", but your message is true. We all depend on each other in this world. Its why civilization and comradery are our greatest gifts." Eliyos took his hand off his sword, and saluted him with respect. He then turned to young woman, and made a private note about her beauty. "You're a wise one, enchantress." Giving her a polite bow, he turns back to the halfling. "Who are we going after first and what can we expect?"
    Currently Playing:

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Frederick smiles calmly.
    Ah, debates over the nature of peace. This takes me back to when I was younger... But, as these two suggest, we should get to the matter at hand.
    He turns to Zel'phir.
    You wanted to know where to begin your search, correct? Well, the nearest of the five pieces belongs to the dwarven cleric Talgrim, currently located in the canyon city of Kortun. It's to the west of here, near the dwarves' contentious border with the elven lands. I have a map with his location and those of the others right here, in fact.
    The high priest pulls out a large scroll of paper from a pocket in his robes and hands it to Niyah.
    And yes, you do seem to match the description of the sorceress I hired, come to think of it. It could have very well been you. If that's so, be warned that these people will be far more competent than the ones you remember. The Key's power has made them quite dangerous indeed. Their physical forms have been altered in various ways, making them stronger, faster. Their magic has been enhanced by their piece, giving them a potent source of raw energy. They have all gained considerable influence and wealth as well, allowing them to control a decent-sized group of servants. Above all, they have all become quite mad with power, and may do the unexpected or the unspeakable with as much conviction as you or I have that the ground is made of dirt. Be wary.
    Last edited by Halberd; 2013-05-06 at 04:58 PM.
    I am a:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGuy

The elf says, "Ah, I have been to Kortun, albeit under less than friendly circumstances. Matrim Wildleaf at your service, veteran of the Dwarf War. I'd be pleased to accompany you fine folk to the city of our short, bearded brethren."
    Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live to serve. Our lives are yours.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

"I don't care how much stronger they are now," Niyah said, "By the time I'm through with them..."

Her voice trailed off and, for just a moment, it felt as if a storm was brewing in the room. Regaining her composure, Niyah took the map with thanks. She didn't try to hide the fact she wasn't interested in the Goddess or the Plane Key, mostly because she had already held the Key once. Revenge was all she cared about and this map, these people, could help her get it. If, in the process, they happened to free a Goddess and bring peace to the world, then that would just be convenient.

"Anything we need to know before we leave?" Niyah said, visibly eager to get to Kortun and pay a certain dwarf a visit he'd never forget.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Frederick shrugs.
    I can't think of anything else. If you wish to leave, you may. May the protecting arms of Rauha reach from her prison to guard you on your journey.
    With that, he turns and leaves through a nearby door, leaving you alone in the great chamber.
    I am a:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

After having pulled off her glove to inspect the glowing circle, Sarena pulls it back on again. "Well let us be off then. The sooner we can rid ourselves of this damned target on our hands, the better. Niyah is it? Why don't you take the map, you seem to know the players in the game more than the rest of us so you can point them out to us when the time comes. Anybody else need anything before we go? No? Then lets MOVE OUT!!!" Sarena pulls her wings back into her body and steps back out of the chambers, waiting for the others to take their leave.

Spoiler
    Show
    History on this goddess, see if she has turned up in Sarena's research
    (1d20+19)[19](38)

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Davion

The tiefling watches the entire discussion without saying a word, taking in all the information - said and unsaid. His right arm is propped upon the head of a bust nearby, probably depicting a saint, Davion couldn't tell.
    He is clad in a deep purple vest worn over a poet's shirt, white and embroidered with vines of gold. His tight green pants are tucked into a huge pair of boots that are shined so well they almost seem to glow.
    Nice.. fanatical knights, vengeful sorcerers, drow.. this is going to be fun.

With a flowing movement, he throws his colorful striped cloak over his back and asks in a high, almost melodic voice:

"So, we are to hunt down five supercharged, probably mad, definitely dangerous adventurers; well, that sounds entertaining, but.. what's in it for us?"

His red eyes dart between all the people present in the room, his eyebrows raised.
    Last edited by Ascy; 2013-05-07 at 07:24 AM.
    Currently playing:
    Davion, Tiefling Illusionist - The Goddess Liberators
    Ewin, Tiefling Paladin - The Five of the Realm (FR)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGuy

Matrim regards the fashionable man who just spoke carefully. He says, "Ending the petty conflicts that plague the world isn't sufficient motivation for you? I've known good elves that aren't motivated by grand ideals so I can't say I'll hold it against you."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

"At least by sticking with us you might live a little longer," Niyah smiled earnestly, "We're all marked for death, remember. They won't stop coming for us, so why not hunt them down and kick their probably-mad teeth in?"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

"Even more so, if you must require a reward, I imagine the gratitude of a recently freed goddess would go a long way towards filling whatever void exists in your heart. We're wasting time. The longer we wait in one place, the more time our enemies have to hem us in a trap. We should depart." Eliyos walked out the door after the dragonborn, hand once again resting on his sword.
    Currently Playing:

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Davion

After throwing a short glance at the faintly glowing rune on his hand, Davion can only shrug at the given answers.
    He lays his hand on his chest, as if mortally hit by an arrow.
    "A void in my heart? Ser Knight, you wound me. There is plenty of joy to be found in my heart. However I must admit, I mostly do enjoy being alive.. fair enough, let us travel then."
    Davion gives the paladin a short nod and can't help himself to roll his eyes after the armored figure turns around. With a smirk, he innocently adds:
    "Would you like me to play a cheerful song on my lute?"
    Currently playing:
    Davion, Tiefling Illusionist - The Goddess Liberators
    Ewin, Tiefling Paladin - The Five of the Realm (FR)

22. - Top - End - #22

Kobold

Zel'phir has already ceased taking and headed for the door. As always, he sticks to the shadows wherever possible.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGuy

Matrim goes to leave along with the others. He says, "Here's to the success of our mission, and to ending conflict among all the different kinds of elves all over the world." Turning to the well dressed man with the lute, he says, "A cheery marching tunes always helps the miles roll by faster. By all means, my good man."
    Last edited by Master_Rahl22; 2013-05-07 at 04:22 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

"We're better off getting horses and traveling swiftly and quietly. Our attackers already know who we are and why we are traveling together. Speed is likely to be our greatest ally right now, until we can be reasonably sure we aren't being followed. Then stealth will be equally important."
    Currently Playing:

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Sarena lets out a jovial laugh and winks at Eliyos, "Silly human, I don't need a horse to travel. My wings can take me over the land faster than those four-legged animals! I shall scout from above us to make sure we don't walk into any traps or ambushes. Get the steeds you shall need. You keep your eyes peeled from the road and I will keep watch over us from above." Once outside with the others, Sarena stretches out her wings to their full width before folding them up again, just not hugging her this time. Merely sitting like they would a dragon. She lets out a large yawn that almost seems like a roar, but not quite as intense, looking around the town, watching the people mill around.
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2013-05-08 at 01:07 PM.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

"Your ability to fly might be useful to you, but if the rest of us are left walking, then it isn't really that useful to the group. A battlion is only as strong as its weakest soldier."

Eliyos bowed to dragonborn and then walked off to the stables to arrange for horses so the rest of the party could keep up with the dragonborn.
    Last edited by Arq Kujos; 2013-05-08 at 01:15 PM.
    Currently Playing:

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGuy

When Sarena makes her jest, Matrim's ears perk up visibly. He says, "There are humans here? Where? I think I prefer my own two legs, but if the consensus is to get horses I suppose I'll live."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

After buying some horses, you set off from Brixham, heading west through the plains towards the dwarven lands. The first day of the journey is surprisingly assassin-free, perhaps because you are traveling together for the first time and they dare not attack a group. As you ride across the fields, you notice a few black, scorched lines scattered across the land, as though some absentminded, titanic being had scratched its pencil along the grass. You don't know their source, but you stay away from them just in case.
    As you begin to make camp for the night, a brilliant streak of light arcs towards you across the darkening sky. It splits into five upon getting close to you, and the five resolve themselves into glowing, winged angels, each with a different symbol on their chests. The gods represented are apparently Moradin, Kord, Avandra, Bahamut, and Erathis. As they stand watching you, you notice that something is definitely wrong with them. Their wings are bent at odd angles, their expressions are blank, and their eyes crackle with a dull red energy.
    The largest, the one with Moradin's symbol on its chest, steps forward and addresses you in broken, halting Common.
    You six... Have glow hands... Moradin say-
    The angel is cut off by a jerking, seizure-like spasm that leaves its head hanging as if its neck has been broken. Its expression remains blank.
    Talgrim say... you not take key piece... Kill now...
    With that, it draws its giant hammer and charges toward you, as do the other four angels.
    I am a:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

"So he knows we're coming?" Niyah smiled wolfishly, as if her prey had stuck out its neck, "Good."

Initiative: (1d20+12)[14]

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Sarena immediately drew her bow, knowing that angels weren't always on the side of "good". She also noticed they were acting quite strange, and her suspicions came to fruition when the thing charged at her. "Everyone at the ready!!" was all she could get out in time.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative - (1d20+13)[8](21) with the +5 is 26, Everyone gets a +2 +5 to initiative from Arq
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2013-05-09 at 11:39 AM.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally