New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Why doesn't Vaarsuvius use a wizard's staff?

Given that Vaarsuvius is so dedicated to arcane power, why doesn't he have a wizard's staff? Other wizards have been seen with them. Malack makes very good use of his cleric's staff. Heck, how do you get to level 15 without finding one in loot at the very least?

I know that Vaarsuvius has a quarterstaff in his inventory that has never been seen, but I mean a magical staff.
    How to turn off these annoying .sigs:

1. Edit your profile options.
    2. Scroll down to "Visible Post Elements".
    3. Uncheck "Show Signatures".
    4. Save changes.
    5. Enjoy a much less cluttered and noisy forum.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Why doesn't Vaarsuvius use a wizard's staff?

IMO D&D has devalued the idea of magical items to the point that people think it's abnormal if characters don't have a Walmart worth of stuff by the time they're level 15.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

It's about V's ego and outlook that everything can be solved with arcane power, remember? It's all about the power of V's mind. A staff isn't arcane power, it's a physical object.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    It's about V's ego and outlook that everything can be solved with arcane power, remember? It's all about the power of V's mind. A staff isn't arcane power, it's a physical object.
    Probably about as good an explanation that is possible. V would view the staff as casting the spell, not him. He also tends to fly a lot which would result in him needing to carry it. Given his recent change of mind concerning arcane power, it is possible that we may see him using a wand in the future since it is easier to carry.
    FTDWIR

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Because he couldn't get his hands on one. Or he couldn't afford it. Sometimes it's that simple.
    Last edited by Morty; 2013-03-23 at 06:32 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

wink Re: Why doesn't Vaarsuvius use a wizard's staff?

Staves also have a certain masculine inplication ... for the sake of ambiguity, I don't think we will ever see V's hands around one.
    Great custom avatar by ... Assassin89 ... thanks!

... I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams ...

Official Kosh of the Vorlon in the dark fan club

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

V does use a ring of wizardry.

The simplest explanation is that they never encountered one. The things aren't mass-produced, after all.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverionmox View Post
    IMO D&D has devalued the idea of magical items to the point that people think it's abnormal if characters don't have a Walmart worth of stuff by the time they're level 15.
    We've seen other characters make regular use of multiple magical items. Nale and Tarquin in particular. Kabuto had magical armor and a ring as well. Xykon has multiple items granting him immunities to positive energy and his favorite area of effect spells.

I'd go with the explanation that V just doesn't believe in using a staff. A ring of wizardry increases your spell slots. A staff is saying "I can't cast this spell myself, so I'll use a staff to do it for me." To V, one increases your own power, the other shows a weakness.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I'd say it's precisely because it would be useful, and V seems to have set himself up to be as useless as possible most of the time.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by NerdyKris View Post
    We've seen other characters make regular use of multiple magical items. Nale and Tarquin in particular. Kabuto had magical armor and a ring as well. Xykon has multiple items granting him immunities to positive energy and his favorite area of effect spells.
    The one thing all those people have in common is that they're the antagonists. There's never been an instance of any member of the Order being shown to have a dozen useful magical items on their person.

11. - Top - End - #11

PirateGuy

Xykon has an ass load of magical items because he has actually lamented that he is only allowed 8 hours a day to make magical items. Most people don't have that much time or XP to spare.
    Quote Originally Posted by theinsulabot;
    so before roland shows up and six guns us all, i would just like to say.....

six guns is not actually a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude;
    Sheriff: Six-gunned!
    all night guard of the fan club

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    But a soul splice with three of the most evil and powerful casters to have ever lived, that's real power.

13. - Top - End - #13

HalflingRangerGuy

Because it's not necessary. Rich already has to write V out of half the fight scenes so that V doesn't utterly dominate them in 1-2 rounds. V can solo entire encounters that would wipe the floor with the rest of the order combined excepting maybe Durkon. Malack? Quickened Dispel Magic, Sunburst, take 32d6 (16d6 for being undead, x 2 for being a sunlight-vulnerable creature after QDM removes Protection from Sunlight.), and chances are that's that. Note Durkon had to get into touch range and make an attack roll to do significantly less damage. V would take one round (to reduce Malack to gaseous, anyhow; obviously a little extra work goes into actually destroying a vampire.)

All it would require is V preparing Sunburst itself, since a QDM is useful enough to expect s/he'd have at least one available anyhow. Sunburst is an Evocation so I see no reason unspliced V wouldn't have it (we've only seen it used spliced) and knowing they're expecting to run into Xykon at some point while there, V could well have it prepared.

Spoiler
    Show
    V is in fact likely to save the Order's bacon pretty soon - most spell slots should still be sitting there unused as soon as V stops guilt-tripping. I imagine you're about to see exactly how unnecessary it is to give V any more magic items.
    Last edited by FlawedParadigm; 2013-03-23 at 01:19 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I really would rather Tarquin finally just went all George R. R. Martin on Nale.
    That's right - George R. R. Martin; a writer so ruthless, his name is a verb akin to Samuel L. Jackson. Valar morghulis.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    The only thing worse than the usual irrelevant rules pedantry is incorrect irrelevant rules pedantry.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

I like the explanation of it not fitting in with V's personality.

I also find it likely that the Giant prefers the look of V not having a staff.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Oh, right. I forgot that it's too difficult to come up with challenges so constant party-splitting is the only remaining alternative. Not like Silence or tanglefoot bags or anything else like that.

4. Save changes.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

That is the context of the question, yes.

High level stuff seems to be relatively rare in this story. The random encounters have mostly been with with relatively low-CR foes unlikely to have powerful magic items, I think. Certainly I find that preferable to "Your characters are capable of plowing through loads of low-level mooks, but that doesn't matter, because encounters are going to be proportionate to party level regardless of whether that makes sense. Might as well not be leveling up at all really, so far as winning fights is concerned."
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
    Oh, right. I forgot that it's too difficult to come up with challenges so constant party-splitting is the only remaining alternative. Not like Silence or tanglefoot bags or anything else like that.
    That's a failure of imagination. Blame yourself for that one. Just because The Giant doesn't cater to your specific way of playing the game doesn't mean he's original.
    Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway.

18. - Top - End - #18

MindFlayer

Magic staves seem rare.

Leeky activates a staff here http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0344.html . Given his surname, he's probably earned a reputation in the world for "that guy who uses the staff," which suggests staff ownership might be something unusual.

Malack activates a staff, but it's been established he custom made the thing himself an he's one of the most powerful casters in the world.

Have we seen anyone else activate a magic staff? I can't recall. Others have been shown carrying them, but those might be nonmagical walking sticks or +1 quarterstaves or something.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Staves are for old bearded men too lazy to walk and too lazy to cast on their own strengths!

... Honestly, given V's attitude towards the concept of even a familiar, it might well just be a matter of taste. Moreover, I think Rich probably doesn't want to bog down the story with too much obsession over -stuff-.

Yeah, it's D&D based, and thus an element of "stuff" will always be there, and it honestly should be, but I think the real question isn't so much "why doesn't V have a staff?" or "what staff would be good for V?", but more "would having a staff benefit V in a way that enhances the story?"

Roy's sword is a central plot device. Elan's sword was part of a major character arc. Haley's Bow was the same. When we get back around to focusing on something V-centric, maybe a staff will work its way in.

20. - Top - End - #20

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Magdela View Post
    That's a failure of imagination. Blame yourself for that one. Just because The Giant doesn't cater to your specific way of playing the game doesn't mean he's original.
    Well the funnier thing is he's complaining about V having to be written out of fights and...suggesting other ways that would write V out of fights. It's not V's physical presence that needs to be curbed to keep challenges to the Order as challenges, it's V's (and to some extent, Durkon's) spells. I mean, you saw not too long ago what a single Holy Word did to the ENTIRE LINEAR GUILD, barring Tarquin, and him only for being higher level. When you can accomplish that kind of upheaval of an engagement in a single standard action, you're a fearsome beast in your own right.

Consider Fireball: a third level spell, and yet by tenth level, even hitting a lousy three creatures, it can do more damage (30d6 total between all three targets) it can do more damage than some melee builds will do in Epic levels. V can throw 20-odd spells of that or better power level around per day. While flying completely out of bow or melee range, if outdoors. http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Fireball
    Spoiler
    Show
    I really would rather Tarquin finally just went all George R. R. Martin on Nale.
    That's right - George R. R. Martin; a writer so ruthless, his name is a verb akin to Samuel L. Jackson. Valar morghulis.

The only thing worse than the usual irrelevant rules pedantry is incorrect irrelevant rules pedantry.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Necris Omega View Post
    Staves are for old bearded men too lazy to walk and too lazy to cast on their own strengths!

... Honestly, given V's attitude towards the concept of even a familiar, it might well just be a matter of taste. Moreover, I think Rich probably doesn't want to bog down the story with too much obsession over -stuff-.

Yeah, it's D&D based, and thus an element of "stuff" will always be there, and it honestly should be, but I think the real question isn't so much "why doesn't V have a staff?" or "what staff would be good for V?", but more "would having a staff benefit V in a way that enhances the story?"

Roy's sword is a central plot device. Elan's sword was part of a major character arc. Haley's Bow was the same. When we get back around to focusing on something V-centric, maybe a staff will work its way in.
    That's the best way to put it, really. What would the story gain if V started using a staff? Other than satisfying those readers who can't stop reading the comic as if it was a D&D campaign?
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Being "written out of a fight" and being neutralized by the enemy's combat tactics are two different things. I just find it bizarre that in the entire realm of possible thought, there can not exist a situation, contrived just for such a purpose, that a wizard can't finish off in 1-2 rounds. No, let's just split the party, again, because that never gets old.

4. Save changes.

23. - Top - End - #23

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
    Being "written out of a fight" and being neutralized by the enemy's combat tactics are two different things. I just find it bizarre that in the entire realm of possible thought, there can not exist a situation, contrived just for such a purpose, that a wizard can't finish off in 1-2 rounds. No, let's just split the party, again, because that never gets old.
    No, for the purposes of effect on difficulty/plot challenges, being neutralised or physically removed are not at all different. So long as the caster can't cast, the result is the same. Consider the Miko fights - V had to be written as to barely get any spells off, because otherwise a single failed save on Miko's part would most likely have lost her the fight. Which, if this were tabletop D&D and not a story in a webcomic, could have ruined the entire plot. The Order would have had no particular reason to go looking for Azure City, would never have found out about the Gates and Miko might not have been around to destroy the Azure City Gate. The comic might be over by now and the world doomed if V had won that fight.

Also, if you find it difficult to imagine situations that Wizards can't finish off in 1-2 rounds, then you lack vast amounts of familiarity with the Wizard spell list. Mind you, this is the kind of power V has as one of the LEAST efficient possible Wizard builds. If V were a powergamed Wizard, s/he would have utterly ruined Team Evil single-handedly (barring MAYBE whatever MitD is) while s/he was spliced.

Any time you think you can out-write Rich though, I'll be glad to read your work and see how it stands up though. 'Cause you know what else never gets old? Complaining.
    Last edited by FlawedParadigm; 2013-03-23 at 04:35 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

It is kind of odd that V is seemingly the poorest member of the order. I suppose she blew some money on researching spells to find Haley, but even so, you'd expect more magical items than just a single ring. Everyone else has at least a couple, barring maybe Durkon who has had to spend crazy amounts on diamonds and such.

I mean, look at Halley. Magic bow (what is that thing, effectively +7 or something? +5 icy burst is crazy) magic dagger, magic boots, potions... oh and a giant sack of gold. Roy has a similarly overpowered weapon, and previously had the bag of tricks, and now a belt of giant strength. Belkar had the ring of jumping and those daggers have got to be magical. Looking at the geekery thread I'm forgetting a ton of stuff too. But all V has is the ring and a headband of intellect (which she doesn't seem to wear any more and was only inferred by casting too many spells for an 18 int character.)

But yeah, if V had a staff to cast stuff for him, he'd be even more overpowered. Even some scrolls would pretty much just ruin the plot. Can you imagine if V got her hands on a scroll of Shapechange? Let alone a Staff of Passage to teleport the order around all day long.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground

Plottity plot.

I think it is because of narrative reasons. If you have a character having to use too often a magic item, the item becomes boring. In the end, it's just as if he cast the spell, but with a longer, boring procedure.
    It's like with the reserve feats: I read of people who hate them, because they actually reduce character options and make them prevedible and boring.

Also, if the protagonists don't have many magic items, opponents become quickly much stronger if they have some. The fights become much more difficult and suspence is increased. And opponents don't get so much screen time, thus not becoming prevedible.

I mean, if Rich wanted to make things easier for the Order, he could have had a pure neutral cleric, a wizard who could teleport and a ranger able at tracking and not crazy evil, a beguiler instead of a bard... If you have a disfunctional party, things get much more interesting for a bystander.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

26. - Top - End - #26
    Halfling in the Playground

Why doesn't Belkar wear Armor?, Why doesn't Vaarsuvius use a wizard's staff?
    Why doesn't Roy wear helmet?
    Kickass avatar made by Kymme

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AngryHobbit View Post
    Why doesn't Roy wear helmet?
    http://www.goblinscomic.com/11182005/
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Stormlock View Post
    But all V has is the ring and a headband of intellect (which she doesn't seem to wear any more and was only inferred by casting too many spells for an 18 int character.)
    It's still there, it's just serving as a hair tie now. Where it went during the whole soul splice episode is another question entirely...

29. - Top - End - #29
    Colossus in the Playground

It's not that "people think" it's abnormal. It is abnormal, because the system requires magic items to function as intended, and is very explicit about the fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by FlawedParadigm View Post
    Because it's not necessary. Rich already has to write V out of half the fight scenes so that V doesn't utterly dominate them in 1-2 rounds. V can solo entire encounters that would wipe the floor with the rest of the order combined excepting maybe Durkon. Malack? Quickened Dispel Magic, Sunburst, take 32d6 (16d6 for being undead, x 2 for being a sunlight-vulnerable creature after QDM removes Protection from Sunlight.), and chances are that's that. Note Durkon had to get into touch range and make an attack roll to do significantly less damage. V would take one round (to reduce Malack to gaseous, anyhow; obviously a little extra work goes into actually destroying a vampire.)

All it would require is V preparing Sunburst itself, since a QDM is useful enough to expect s/he'd have at least one available anyhow. Sunburst is an Evocation so I see no reason unspliced V wouldn't have it (we've only seen it used spliced) and knowing they're expecting to run into Xykon at some point while there, V could well have it prepared.

Spoiler
    Show
    V is in fact likely to save the Order's bacon pretty soon - most spell slots should still be sitting there unused as soon as V stops guilt-tripping. I imagine you're about to see exactly how unnecessary it is to give V any more magic items.
    I don't know about that. dispel magic caps at +10 to dispel check, so it would be unlikely to have an effect against malack. And even if it works, if malack succeeds in the saving throw (and i think he should have quite strong bonuses here, I'm no expert but a template giving +8 to cr should give some boost to saves too) he will survive and heal himself the next round. And V is equally vulnerable to a cleric wide selection of save or die spells targeting his weak fortitude.

Anyway, I never understood one thing about staffs. wizards are supposed to do gestures with their hands when they cast a spell, so how the hell do they manage to cast a spell whiole wielding a weapon? seems to me they would have to let it fall every time they want to cast, and retrieve it after casting. bloody annoying.
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert