Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: El Goonish Shive

/raises hand

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

*raises hand*

Turns out I'm not very observant either.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Halfling in the Playground

*Handraise*

He... Could have made it more blatant in the comic... Though I'm not really sure how...

Frecus
    The glade wanderer
    Madwarrior
    Temporary ponytar is temporary

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

*raises hand*

the sign of a good writer is being able to slip details right before your eyes…without even attempting to hide them, and then being able to continue the story on until you point it out and reveal that its happening.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Creepy punch! Creepy punch! AAAAHHHHHHH!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

is Diane magical? is one of them a cultist? what is happening….

if she isn't responsible, then why does someone want Diane to be obeyed? why?
    she is a teenager who can now command a few other teenagers, what plot is our mastermind up to?

is this Chaos's doing? this is probably Chaos's doing….
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    is Diane magical? is one of them a cultist? what is happening….

if she isn't responsible, then why does someone want Diane to be obeyed? why?
    she is a teenager who can now command a few other teenagers, what plot is our mastermind up to?

is this Chaos's doing? this is probably Chaos's doing….
    My guess is that the punch makes its victims obey anyone not dosed by it, and that whoever put that effect on the punch assumed everybody at the party would be drinking, allowing them to swoop in and take over later in the evening. Meaning that Diane, Ellen, Nanase, and Charlotte are going to be viewed by the caster as a problem.

Note that's the caster. Mme. Raven may be manipulating events from further up, and she may want those undosed folks there, but there's no evidence of that at this point.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by theNater View Post
    My guess is that the punch makes its victims obey anyone not dosed by it, and that whoever put that effect on the punch assumed everybody at the party would be drinking, allowing them to swoop in and take over later in the evening.
    Wait a minute. The guy who caught Diane trying to sneak some of the punch was a Male (!) teenage (!) caster. The punch turns everyone who drinks it into highly obedient females. Horrific implications ho!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Wait a minute. The guy who caught Diane trying to sneak some of the punch was a Male (!) teenage (!) caster. The punch turns everyone who drinks it into highly obedient females. Horrific implications ho!
    Correction: he was male. We don't know whether he was teenaged or a caster or not.

And maybe they only make her obedient to Diane. She is their lord, after all. We can't really know until we have further evidence.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Barbarian in the Playground

Male. Owes a favor to her sister. Knows (maybe) about magic. Would love to let her drink and see what it does to her. Could this be Jerry, who owes a debt to Susan? After all, this sister-speculation has been in-comic for a while. (I haven't been following this thread closely, so this may or may not have been suggested before.)
    My first character was a first edition thief.

Evidence that MS Paint is still a valid avataring tool:
    Spoiler
    Show

1st commemorative BEAST award, for displaying BEASTLY qualities in overcoming tricksy obstacles.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, it has already been suggested that the guy who caught Diane sneaking around is Jerry's reincarnation.

Speaking of which, I wonder how Tedd & Elliot's party is going, and when we will get to see it. I mean, Susan is going to be there. I'm far more interested in Susan than clucking chicks.
    I use black for sarcasm.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    I'm right there with you on the horrific implications, but I suspect the caster is someone else. It seems awkward to target the party Diane is attending and warn Diane away; targeting a different party would likely be simpler.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    And maybe they only make her obedient to Diane. She is their lord, after all. We can't really know until we have further evidence.
    We can't be sure, but I'm inclined to think Diane is not the intended beneficiary here. I'd guess a straight male, given that the victims are turned female and use "my lord" rather than "my lady".

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

If that was Jerry (and there's a lot to support the theory), I would assume this was a prank in good fun. So far the spiked punch has had only three visible effects: turn everyone who drinks it female, makes everyone okay (or ignorant) of that, and renders them very suggestible.

If you look at it from the angle of a prank, it seems like an ultimate one. Everyone is having fun, nobody is panicking, if they remember any of it they will probably think it was a dream, and in they are controllable enough that you can keep them from doing something they'd regret. This is all in keeping with the guy who thought inventing a readily summonable non-lethal magic hammer was the best way to punish (and therefore propagate) sexist jokes - whimsical, mischievous, and yet generally harmless.

Or, looked at from a darker perspective, Jerry might not be behind it at all, but aware of the threat and is simply there to protect Diane without actually interfering with the threat (which, as an immortal, he can't do). Could it be another stunt to break the Masquerade by Pandora? Could it be a trick on Charlotte's part to test how resourceful and resilient her knights are (if Ellen and Nanase were chess pieces, they'd be knights: moving in odd ways. Or bishops...)? We will have to wait and see.

That said, I still vote for this being an elaborate prank by an immature immortal who wants to screw with people's heads without doing actual permanent damage.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

At any rate, there's something strange in the neighborhood. Who's Diane gonna call?

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    At any rate, there's something strange in the neighborhood. Who's Diane gonna call?
    Is it wrong that my first instinct was to yell "Busty Casters!"?
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I was going for "Ghostbusters!" but "Busty Casters" mostly fits the beat, and definitely fits the story...

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    If that was Jerry (and there's a lot to support the theory), I would assume this was a prank in good fun. So far the spiked punch has had only three visible effects: turn everyone who drinks it female, makes everyone okay (or ignorant) of that, and renders them very suggestible.
    It has also rendered Rhea sober. Sobering up the targets should be sufficient to keep things from getting out of hand; making them obedient is unnecessarily creepy.

Between that and the fact that Jerry would presumably need an accomplice, due to the same restrictions that prevent him from directly intervening if it's a threat, I'm really skeptical about the idea of it being a prank by Jerry.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Firbolg in the Playground

Stuff is happening, and is happening into an unforeseen and fast way! These are the best days for me as a reader since who-knows-when.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Hopefully this doesn't go on for as long as the last party we saw. I still want to see the delicious Susan / Elliot / Justin / Sarah / Tedd / Grace love hexagon.
    I use black for sarcasm.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

The plot continues to thicken. I think he might have added some cornstarch to the comic or something.

Also, I'm highly amused by Dan's comments on railing height, as I've been to many, many houses with such a thing, and they rarely get much above three feet.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

I was wondering when that strip would be referenced! Clearly, Moperville is totally fine with magic existing, so I'm not even sure why they try to hide it from the populace.
    I use black for sarcasm.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Hopefully this doesn't go on for as long as the last party we saw. I still want to see the delicious Susan / Elliot / Justin / Sarah / Tedd / Grace love hexagon.
    Why don't Nanase and Ellen get to be in that polygon?
    I was wondering when that strip would be referenced! Clearly, Moperville is totally fine with magic existing, so I'm not even sure why they try to hide it from the populace.
    Moperville is fine with magic existing, but it's not clear how fine they'd be with magic being ubiquitous. Magic seems to be incredibly easy to acquire in EGS, and keeping it secret is likely the best way to keep it uncommon enough to be manageable.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Why don't Nanase and Ellen get to be in that polygon?
    Because they are not in that party, duh.

Moperville is fine with magic existing, but it's not clear how fine they'd be with magic being ubiquitous. Magic seems to be incredibly easy to acquire in EGS, and keeping it secret is likely the best way to keep it uncommon enough to be manageable.
    Well, they are doing a terrible job of both, then.
    I use black for sarcasm.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Because they are not in that party, duh.
    I didn't realize you were specifically referring to the party. Thank you for clearing that up.
    Well, they are doing a terrible job of both, then.
    They seemed to be doing okay until Mme. Raven started actively working against them. With the secrecy, at least.

25. - Top - End - #175

They seemed to be doing okay until Mme. Raven started actively working against them. With the secrecy, at least.
    Bear in mind, this is a world where bug-eyed, antennae-sporting extraterrestrials are treated just like any minority so long as they wear their "I <3 Being Human!" T-shirts. Really, it looks like people will accept anything so long as you provide a token explanation. Pandora's a game-changer because she's too terrifying to sweep under the rug; before that, magic was more of an elephant in the room.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

They pointed out before, the secret isn't magic, its how easy magic is to get. A girl floating through the hallways is perfectly acceptable, as long as it is seen as strange, unexplainable, and something unique to that weirdo. She floats. It what she does. Maybe she was born that way. Even if she says how she got the powers "an immortal gifted me with magic" people aren't able to really replicate it. Physics teachers just get annoyed.

What is not okay is learning that you can get well on your way to getting magic by anime style martial arts.

P.S. On a side note, if you saw a bug eyed alien walking down the street I doubt very few of you would go proclaim the existence of aliens. That would get you locked up in the funny farm.
    Last edited by Lamech; 2013-06-27 at 04:06 PM.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

27. - Top - End - #177

OldWizardGuy

people don't get locked up for proclaiming aliens exist.

They mostly get ignored.
    "You want to see how a Human dies? at ramming speed."

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

Saying the clouds are actually an alien spaceship or area 51 has aliens in it doesn't get you locked up. Your a conspiracy wingnut. Everyone has at least one conspiracy they believe in. (I swear America is a mason plot.) Claiming you saw an alien walking down the street... that gets you in trouble.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

29. - Top - End - #179

OldWizardGuy

Depends on who you say it to, how loud you say it, and how often you repeat yourself.
    "You want to see how a Human dies? at ramming speed."

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

So, how much did Susan tell Nanase about Jerry? Specifically, about what he looks like? Because when I'm telling someone about someone else I know or met, the last thing I'm thinking of is their looks.
    I use black for sarcasm.