New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 4: Friends in Need

I'm kind of glad we're not focusing on Paz and Kat.

I don't want them to be the focus of a storyline because that will probably mean that something bad will have happened...
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

2. - Top - End - #302
    Troll in the Playground

I foresee some awkward conversation forthcoming. Annie's going to want to know what Ysengrin's problem is, and he doesn't remember he has one. If she figures that part out, and why, she's going to have some questions to ask Coyote...

3. - Top - End - #303
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    So what's your point then? Paz didn't give two ****s except to find it amusing to watch Kat and Kat was teased though not in the way Annie had originally intended precisely because Annie either does not know about them(the more likely possibility in my view and what seems to be your position) or hasn't chosen to show that she's picked up on it since they haven't had the temerity to make their relationship status clear to the world/her.

Frankly, Paz's reaction is preferable to the kind of umbrage that I'd expect from how even Monsignor Siddell was going on about Annie making a faux pas.
    The point is that I shouldn't make posts in the morning after working 3rd shift for 9 hours. Apparently. Me read gud, yay!!
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

4. - Top - End - #304
    Bugbear in the Playground

So... Who thinks that Coyote's tooth will be used on Jones?
    white text is the bestest you might want to look for it
    DeviantART

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ettin in the Playground

Seems pretty likely she'll get hit by it, as it's the only thing that could hurt her. I think it's meant for Jeanne though.

Come to think of it, who is Jones working for really? In her flashbacks she typically sticks with one person til he dies, so is she Eglamore's not-a-robot companion? Or is she the Headmaster's?

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    Seems pretty likely she'll get hit by it, as it's the only thing that could hurt her.
    Can it, though? All we know is that the sword is really really sharp and Jones is really really durable. Do we know if either has reached unstoppable-force/unbreakable-object levels?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #307
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Come to think of it, who is Jones working for really? In her flashbacks she typically sticks with one person til he dies, so is she Eglamore's not-a-robot companion?
    Yes, she's Eglamore's not-a-robot-companion. She got assigned to him as his nanny growing up, and she's been his guardian / advisor since then.

However, she may end up just staying with the Court for a while. After all, they are ... human.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ettin in the Playground

Back in The Fangs Of Summertime she seemed pretty connected with the headmaster as well. If she's done this for multiple children over the years, long enough for the headmaster to know her as well as he seems to, she didn't stay with the kids til they died. Or she'd have a new last name for now.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Can it, though? All we know is that the sword is really really sharp and Jones is really really durable. Do we know if either has reached unstoppable-force/unbreakable-object levels?
    Considering that Coyote said "It'll cut through the very earth itself", and Jones' chapter was called "The Stone", it's somewhat likely.

But then again, the likeliness is the best argument AGAINST it too
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

Yup, Coyote really seems like the kind of immortal creature that spends a lot of time hunting.

Oh Ysengrin, when will you learn

11. - Top - End - #311

The question is, what is he hunting?
    Play your character, not your alignment.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Firbolg in the Playground

There is only one possible valid answer to this question, and it is "road runner".
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ettin in the Playground

Well done, Gez.

Ysengrin is an immortal dog, and he fishes and eats as well. Wouldn't surprise me if Coyote was chasing down some etheric creature to eat.

I wonder if Ysengrin knows that Coyote took memories. He protested when he was about to do so, so he obviously knows Coyote would be able and willing to brainwash him and probably has before.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

Well done, Gez.

Ysengrin is an immortal dog, and he fishes and eats as well. Wouldn't surprise me if Coyote was chasing down some etheric creature to eat.

I wonder if Ysengrin knows that Coyote took memories. He protested when he was about to do so, so he obviously knows Coyote would be able and willing to brainwash him and probably has before.
    Coyote seems like the kind of person that would leave the memory of losing your memories, so you know that you've forgotten things but have no idea what they are. It just seems a bit crueler that way (from the perspective of the person whose memories are now gone)

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    Considering that Coyote said "It'll cut through the very earth itself", and Jones' chapter was called "The Stone", it's somewhat likely.

But then again, the likeliness is the best argument AGAINST it too
    This seems likely. It also fits my theory that Jones is mother earth, brought to life retroactively by human belief in such a figure.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Firbolg in the Playground

To me, BRC still has the best theory regarding Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Empiricism, Objectivity. As somebody might have believed that a divine Coyote put the stars in the sky, somebody else believes in an objective, scientific truth

What is more, they believe that they can FIND that truth. They may be in a lab, looking at rock samples under an electron microscope, but in their hearts they are searching for something, an answer. They are asking a question, they may be directing this question towards rock samples, but they are still focused on that objective, unbiased truth.

Jones is that truth. She was never worshiped, there are no stories about her, but scientists and historians spend their lives looking for her. Perhaps, when they sleep, they dream of somebody who could just answer their questions. When a paleontologist holds up a bone and asks "What did this creature look like?" He's asking Jones.
    She just chooses not to answer.
    If a man dying in the desert can create a Coyote, who is to say that a man dying on his deathbed, having spent his life wondering how a mountain came to be, cannot create a woman who saw that mountain rise.

She was created retroactively. But she wasn't imagined as knowing anything specific. She was imagined as knowing The Truth. But the minds that created her only respect knowledge that stemmed from observation. So she must have observed The Truth happening.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Troll in the Playground

Poor Ysengrin. You want to hug him. Except that might get you killed, if you're not Annie...

So the question is, will Annie think this swiss cheese brain is the result of Y's deteriorating mental condition, or will she suspect Coyote?

18. - Top - End - #318
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Uh oh. I'm getting an Empire Strikes Back vibe here.

Kat: What's in there?
    Ysengrin: Only what you take with you.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2013-08-23 at 02:25 AM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ettin in the Playground

Actually it's just a game of Legends of the Hidden Temple.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Troll in the Playground

Aww, best buddies forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    Uh oh. I'm getting an Empire Strikes Back vibe here.

Kat: What's in there?
    Ysengrin: Only what you take with you.
    Don't worry, she's got her Big Daddy to protect her. (this is what's running through my mind right now.)

21. - Top - End - #321

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Poor Ysengrin. You want to hug him. Except that might get you killed, if you're not Annie...

So the question is, will Annie think this swiss cheese brain is the result of Y's deteriorating mental condition, or will she suspect Coyote?
    Coyote, because of the whole "Well, see how you like him after today!" thing.
    white text is the bestest you might want to look for it
    DeviantART

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

So Coyote is sending a small girl into the dangers normally handled by the big bad wolf with magic power armor.

Hopefully you mastered that blinker stone, Antimony!

((At least, I hope there are dangers.))
    Last edited by The Rose Dragon; 2013-08-26 at 03:09 AM.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Only what she brings in with her. *cue fight with Darth Annie*
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

24. - Top - End - #324
    Troll in the Playground

On the one hand, Ysengrin is probably the most dangerous thing there. And this IS Annie; she may wind up giving these creatures tips on how they can be scarier. On the other hand...

DAAAAAAANNG! O_O;

25. - Top - End - #325
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    So Coyote is sending a small girl into the dangers normally handled by the big bad wolf with magic power armor.

Hopefully you mastered that blinker stone, Antimony!

((At least, I hope there are dangers.))
    He's such a silly goose most of the time that it is very easy to lose sight of the fact that he's a huge jerk too. It's all good though, she has her trusty Tree-Wolf-Torpedo with her.

*edit: And by "trusty" I mean of course that he hasn't tried to kill her yet. Today.
    Last edited by Marnath; 2013-08-26 at 06:52 AM.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

This place ... is strong with the Dark Side.

Your weapons, you will need them.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2013-08-26 at 04:40 PM.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ettin in the Playground

She seems awfully quick to forgive Ysengrin. I mean we know he's speaking the truth, but if I were Annie I wouldn't believe it. Maybe it was his tone of voice.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

She seems awfully quick to forgive Ysengrin. I mean we know he's speaking the truth, but if I were Annie I wouldn't believe it. Maybe it was his tone of voice.
    I'd be very surprised if she didn't cotton on to the fact that Coyote set it up. He even warned her beforehand. Ysengrin's mention of "holes in his memory" should be the clincher.

EDIT: Also, if these "holes" are essentially random, which would be the crux of the "Coyote is innocent of this" argument (assuming of course that Annie works that argument out this far), then it's highly convenient that Ysengrin happens to lose those memories that prevent him from him being "business as usual", as it were. Also, there's a pattern: "I have often been told I have misbehaved, but have not remembered this."
    Last edited by Landis963; 2013-08-26 at 05:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Annie has a really wonky approach to forgiveness. That she instantly forgives Ysengrin after he's all but admitted to flying into murderous rages from time to time is no surprise.

Are you one of Annie's close friends? Then any of your sins, past and present, are forever forgiven. Wipe the blood of those orphans off your hands, ol' buddy ol' pal, and come over here for a hug.

Have you been rude to Annie or hurt one of her friends? Whether or not you had good cause for your actions or they were the result of factors beyond your control - like an ethereal spider lurking in your brain - THEN YOU MUST BE PUNISHED.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2013-08-26 at 05:47 PM.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Troll in the Playground

Don't forget, she spent the summer with Ysengrin. She knows him pretty well, and she also knows something went really wrong when he attacked her. And of course people from the Court have been telling her he may be going insane. If you're fair you can't really hold insanity against someone...