New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Dominic Deegan, Mk. L: The Snark(ie) Alive - Death Actually Is Zombies

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Oh, we did see him again during the final battle (rescuing Luna, natch).

He had turned into an orc.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    Yeah, orc was revealed to be not a race or a culture but an STD.
    Oh, you guys are so wacky with the jokes! \

Quote Originally Posted by Cen View Post
    Here's Hansi for you.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan, Mk. L: The Snark(ie) Alive - Death Actually Is Zombies

Oh, we did see him again during the final battle (rescuing Luna, natch).

He had turned into an orc.
    This was the strip that convinced me Mookie was just trolling the readers at this point.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey, I didn't kill the thread after all. Yay.
    I'd get involved in the discussion but for some unfathomable reason I want to avoid surprises until I'm done with the reactions/recaps.

Given the wall of death text generated last time, I think I'll be altering the format a bit once I get back to the longer arcs. I should probably have see the size thing coming, given that we used to be able to spend multiple pages of threads on a single strip, but better late than never I guess.

Okay then, The Beast, part 2 is a very short one.
    It looks like Mookie has decided to experiment with panel layouts, with fairly 'meh' results. Anyway, seems Miranda's former teacher was a massive tentacley extra-dimensional squid monster thing and has also been looking into The Beast, which apparently it also considers alien and weird. Which perhaps seems a bit odd considering it's also an extra-dimensional tentacley monster but what do I know. Anyway, apparently Miranda found it had traces of the Ellemecca (what sort of traces these would be is never said) which she found after running 'countless tests' on Gregory. She conjectures that it must have invaded the Ellemecca. Squid thing says they need more evidence before going to investigate, but this is Miranda talking so obviously she's going to end up being proved right (regardless of however odd it is that something would invade the vast self-repairing plane thing that maintains the fabric of existence without causing any noticeable effects, but what do I know). Squid guy goes to consult some other Archmages and Miranda leaves.

Not sure why this merits it's own section in the archive but there we go.

Up next: B.Y.O.B.
    I really, really, hope this isn't going to involve those Dwarfs and Halflings again.

4. - Top - End - #394

Imp

Well, I just realized that Hansi being turned into an Orc disqualifies him from being the Faceman in my A-Team based spinoff. (For the uninitiated, the cast was Donovan 'Hannibal' Deegan, Hansi 'Faceman' Reinholdt, Dex 'Howling Mad' Garrit, and O.C. Orcracus (O.C. standing for Outrage Chief, naturally.) Now I have to rejigger the cast.

...should Hansi take over the B.A. role from Outrage Chief? what would the initials be? H.R. Orcracus doesn't have the same pizzazz... and who would be the new faceman? Bumper?
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Halfling in the Playground

ClericGuy

I stopped reading in the final arc. Part of my thinks you are joking, but I read enough of DD to fear you are not.

Are you?

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLuke View Post
    I stopped reading in the final arc. Part of my thinks you are joking, but I read enough of DD to fear you are not.

Are you?
    I don't know. How flexible is your definition of joke?

7. - Top - End - #397
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLuke View Post

Are you?
    Weeeeell, its never explicitly STATED that hansi caught orc from his months long marathon of sex with an orc woman, but its never denied either.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #398
    Titan in the Playground

maybe he caught it because he was in the mountain while doing it? it is a very strong spiritual and magical place right? resonates a lot with orc culture? could be the mountain weirdness again, where such an act counts as sort of like a ritual for transformative magic, many rituals after all, have to be done at a certain place, over a certain period of time...
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

9. - Top - End - #399
    Troll in the Playground

So, we can finally make sense of the Tuskmouth epidemic. Outrage Chief wasn't using magic to place his curse. He just slipped into Callan while the army was out genociding and banged all the soldier's moms!

It fits perfectly, seeing as Mookie's grasp of politics is still stuck in junior high.
    So Luna really was a orc princess, remember?

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

That explains why orcs tend to solve their problems with rape.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

11. - Top - End - #401

And so, Karnak was raised by orcs because he had been born by orcs, only he was stricken by a variant form of the disease which only exploded after puberty, turning him into a devil, while most orcs contract the illness at birth.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

12. - Top - End - #402

GnomeWizardGuy

eek Re: Dominic Deegan, Mk. L: The Snark(ie) Alive - Death Actually Is Zombies

The international shipping for the first volume of the Dominic Deegan omnibus costs the same as the book itself.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Troll in the Playground

Really? That's the cover design? I thought he'd improved.

14. - Top - End - #404

GnomeWizardGuy

Unfortunately compared to most of his book covers that is an improvement.

Honestly I think the scribbly pencil Dominic is fine to put on the cover of the complete edition but it needs better graphic design to make it pop. And I'd like to see what the cover looks like on the finished product because if Mookie didn't scan that in at a high enough resolution it's going to look all pixellated and gross, which is important if I were to consider dropping US$110* on a webcomic book.

* Deal valid for December only, US$120 in 2014.

Edit: Did Mookie finish making the individual books for each chapter, or is buying the complete edition the only way for die-hard fans to own the last couple of years?
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2013-12-05 at 06:23 PM.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    Unfortunately compared to most of his book covers that is an improvement.

Honestly I think the scribbly pencil Dominic is fine to put on the cover of the complete edition but it needs better graphic design to make it pop. And I'd like to see what the cover looks like on the finished product because if Mookie didn't scan that in at a high enough resolution it's going to look all pixellated and gross, which is important if I were to consider dropping US$110* on a webcomic book.

* Deal valid for December only, US$120 in 2014.

Edit: Did Mookie finish making the individual books for each chapter, or is buying the complete edition the only way for die-hard fans to own the last couple of years?
    It's the only thing on his store so probably.

He doesn't say there'll be any special features. I imagine that would be disappointing.

1600 comics... This'll be about 2/3 volumes, right?

According to his twitter, at least 6 people expressed an interest in buying it and one even asked if he could pre-order more than one.

Quote Originally Posted by Some guy
    That's bad, but it looks like I've got to accept what I can't change. I'll order 2 books then, not 5 as planned, though. :-/
    Mookie's success kind of baffles me. I guess this is what happens when you spend years posting in an echochamber.
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2013-12-05 at 07:00 PM.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Bugbear in the Playground

The sketch is not "bad" by Mookie standards, but damn, that cover is dull. Trazoi is right, it needs more graphical elements like coloured borders or shapes instead of Blandy McGray on white. And why is Mookie still doing the text by hand? An interesting font for the title would make the cover loads better.
    Last edited by Humbug; 2013-12-05 at 08:20 PM.

17. - Top - End - #407

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Humbug View Post
    The sketch is not "bad" by Mookie standards, but damn, that cover is dull. Trazoi is right, it needs more graphical elements like coloured borders or shapes instead of Blandy McGray on white. And why is Mookie still doing the text by hand? An interesting font for the title would make the cover loads better.
    I thought the Narbonic books did minimalist with coloured shapes rather well:
    Spoiler: Narbonic vol. 1 cover
    Show
    Volume three was the most minimalistic of the lot and still works well:
    Spoiler: Narbonic vol. 3 cover
    Show

That said, an ultra-minimalistic cover in white could still look relatively* classy for DD. I think using his own handwriting on white works here, because that's what captures the look and feel of the DD website. But if he wants minimalistic, he should properly go minimalistic and use something like a small inked Dominic in black and white in the corner or use that crystal ball and scarf on the end page. Not a huge smeary Dominic that goes against the minimalism of the rest of the cover.

* "Relatively" meaning relative to DD.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Okay got myself up to the oracle hunter arc.

There has been nothing to fully offend me yet, well aside from the Backstory with Stonewater and Melna.

I will say, I laughed at the bit where Miranda showed up, and attempted to make a joke with "Deus Ex Machina" and inserting the word "Mother" into it..eventually saying "Oh Forget it, I am his mother and I am going to fix everything"

19. - Top - End - #409
    Orc in the Playground

Really? That's the cover design? I thought he'd improved.
    That's what I thought. It doesn't even look inked, and his drawing isn't really good enough to stand up without it--and for a cover, no less. It's not even a clean drawing because you can see the sketch lines. Couldn't he at least hire one of his buddies to colour it?

And the colour comics will be in black-and-white because he thinks they look better that way and it's an "artistic choice". Okay. So why did you keep colouring comics after you saw how the first one looked? And how will that work for pages like the Art Fail strip, or the one where Dex gets ripped apart, or for when Maltak goes green again, or ...?

If there's no colour (even for comics that had colour originally) and no bonus material at all, and he couldn't even be bothered to make a decent cover, I have to wonder who he's making this for. If it's a reward and a thank-you for loyal fans (and that is loyalty, jeez) it's shockingly dismissive. Write them a send-off story, or include concept art, or something!
    Last edited by Kwatsu; 2013-12-06 at 06:28 PM.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Liliet View Post
    What I liked about the comic was the title character. Or rather, what he was like until the introduction of his parents.
    Or maybe, how I understood what he was like. (...)
    Interesting analysis of Dominic as he should have been (and both the character and the story would have been a lot more interesting that way), but I don't think that was the Dominic presented to us even at the beginning.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Has anyone seen Obscuras Lupa's Charmed Reviews? Her comments about "makes it easy", "if it sounds interesting, Charmed will find some way to screw it up", and her comments about the horrifying implications of the main cast remind me of a lot of the criticisms we've made here in Dominic Deegan.