New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXIII

A 195

Blink does that and more.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 196

If one becomes a lich in old age, do they retain their aging penalties/bonuses?
    Spoiler: Ironcage Keep
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Frith (Light, 92 rounds), Obergrym (rage 5 rounds, 14/17 hp), Melrik - CURRENT
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

3. - Top - End - #393
    Titan in the Playground

Q 197

Where can I find the section on alignment (book and page ref please) that says "always" a certain alignment in a monster entry doesn't actually mean always?

4. - Top - End - #394
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Q 198

When using an Empower Metamagic/psionic feat on a spell/power that deals, for example, 20D6, should I roll 1.5 x 20D6 (35D6) or roll 20D6 then multiply the result by 1.5 ?

5. - Top - End - #395
    Halfling in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q 199
    When playing with level adjustment, do I get the same XP as those in the group without level adjustment or do I go by my ECL?

Q 200
    When playing an evil cleric and summoning undead, can I cast Heroism on the summoned or does the alignment prevent it?

6. - Top - End - #396
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

A 200
    Your alignment wouldn't prevent you from casting heroism on summoned undead, because heroism isn't a [good] spell. Unfortunately, the fact that heroism isn't on the cleric list, and that the spell is mind effecting, meaning that it doesn't work on undead, would prevent an evil cleric from casting heroism on summoned undead.
    Last edited by eggynack; 2013-06-18 at 06:37 AM.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

A199
    The experience you get, and the amount needed to level is based off ECL
    A single action cannot and should not define a character's alignment. While a single action can have an alignment, a character's alignment is the culmination of all actions taken, and most importantly the purpose and intent for why those actions were taken.
    My Homebrews:
    Alu-Fiend + Lesser Variant[PEACH]
    Benders, Avatar: The Last Airbender Inspired Classes [PEACH]

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground

A 197: Monster Manual 1, p 305. There it says

Always: The creature is born with the indicated alignment. The creature may have a hereditary predisposition to the alignment or come from a plane that predetermines it. It is possible for individuals to change alignment, but such individuals are either unique or rare exceptions.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Halfling in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    A 200
    Your alignment wouldn't prevent you from casting heroism on summoned undead, because heroism isn't a [good] spell. Unfortunately, the fact that heroism isn't on the cleric list, and that the spell is mind effecting, meaning that it doesn't work on undead, would prevent an evil cleric from casting heroism on summoned undead.
    Lol! Thank you :D
    For some reason I thought I can cast it as cleric...

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gargravarr View Post
    Lol! Thank you :D
    For some reason I thought I can cast it as cleric...
    You can, with the Courage Domain or Extra Spell. [Nitpick]Nothing prevents you from casting Heroism on undead, summoned or otherwise, but their immunity from mind-affecting effects prevents them from getting the bonuses.[/Nitpick]

A 196

Sure, why not? As I understand it those are not bonuses/penalties but changes to ability scores just as if you had rolled/allocated differently.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    With age, a character’s physical ability scores decrease and his or her mental ability scores increase (see Table: Aging Effects). The effects of each aging step are cumulative. However, none of a character’s ability scores can be reduced below 1 in this way.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2013-06-18 at 08:53 AM.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q201: How does a swordsage's Action Before Thought maneuver interact (if at all) with her evasion & improved evasion class features? I'm particularly interested in what counts as a "Reflex save" or "Reflex saving throw" for purposes of triggering Evasion.

Relevant rule citations:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ToB, Page 17
    Evasion:...If you make a successful Reflex saving throw...
    Quote Originally Posted by ToB, Page 17
    Improved Evasion:...You still take no damage if you make a successful Reflex save against an attack, and even if you fail the Reflex save, you take only half damage from the attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToB, Page 62
    Action Before Thought:...You can use this maneuver any time you would be required to make a Reflex save. Roll a Concentration check instead of the Reflex save and use the result of that check to determine the save's success.

If I'm reading correctly, the success or failure of your Concentration check determines the success or failure of the save as per the last line of the quoted text fom page 62. Because of that, I'd argue that you're still making a successful Reflex save or failing a Reflex save, and can thus use Improved Evasion. Is my line of thought accurate?

Extra credit: to nitpick, Improved Evasion talks only about the save, while Evasion specifies a "Reflex saving throw." Does this mean that I can use the ability in conjunction with Improved Evasion but not Evasion (as the Concentration check replaces the save, but not the saving throw)?
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2013-06-18 at 12:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

12. - Top - End - #402
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 201 There is no interaction.

If the Swordsage decides to make a Concentration check instead of a Reflex save, neither evasion nor improved evasion apply.

13. - Top - End - #403

Q201 continuation

To put a laser focus on it, the reason I asked the question is because of the following clause from the text.

Quote Originally Posted by ToB, Page 62
    Action Before Thought:...use the result of [Concentration] check to determine the save's success.
    That made me think that, while you roll Concentration instead of Reflex, it's written so that Successful Concentration Check=Successful Reflex Save. If Improved Evasion reads "Successful Reflex Save=No damage," I'd think that Successful Concentration Check=Successful Reflex Save=No damage in this scenario. Does that hold up?

EDIT: I don't know if it bears any relevance to this situation, but the Kensai's very similar Withstand ability specifically highlights the interaction:

Quote Originally Posted by CW, Page 52
    When a kensai of 5th level or higher is forced to make a Reflex save to avoid damage from an area effect spell (such as fireball), he can make a Concentration check instead of a Reflex save to resist taking full damage. If a kensai has the evasion or improved evasion ability, those benefits apply on this Concentration check as well.
    So basically, I'm hoping that the swordsage is better than the kensai .
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2013-06-18 at 12:21 PM.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 201 continuation
    Quote Originally Posted by OMG PONIES View Post
    EDIT: I don't know if it bears any relevance to this situation, but the Kensai's very similar Withstand ability specifically highlights the interaction
    Yes, this narrows the focus very well. Because the maneuver text lacks language similar to that in the Kensai class feature, you only get the stated ability: the option to make a Concentration check instead of a Reflex save. You get something that you can use in place of the save result, but both evasion and improved evasion require you to make a successful Reflex save. You cannot get the benefit of either ability if you simply substitute a successful result without actually making the required save.

15. - Top - End - #405

Q202

If I apply the Augmented Intelligence from Dragon 327 page 73 to an Effigy of a 1 RHD creature and have it take the Open Minded feat what would it's class skills be?

16. - Top - End - #406
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Q202

If I apply the Augmented Intelligence from Dragon 327 page 73 to an Effigy of a 1 RHD creature and have it take the Open Minded feat what would it's class skills be?
    A 202

Effigy does not change which skills are considered class skills. The class skills are as the base creature.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

17. - Top - End - #407

Q203

Is there a feat that can allow an Effigy to use a Horn of Blasting?

Q204

How much for an item of at-will Magic Mouth?

18. - Top - End - #408
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 204 Ask your DM.

All custom item creation parameters are at the whim of your individual DM.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ettin in the Playground

A 204

That's up to your DM. Guidelines are here.

20. - Top - End - #410

Q204 Retraction

My apologies.

21. - Top - End - #411

Q205

What is the Use Magic Device DC for a creature incapable of speech to use a command word activated item?

22. - Top - End - #412

A201 clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Yes, this narrows the focus very well. Because the maneuver text lacks language similar to that in the Kensai class feature, you only get the stated ability: the option to make a Concentration check instead of a Reflex save. You get something that you can use in place of the save result, but both evasion and improved evasion require you to make a successful Reflex save. You cannot get the benefit of either ability if you simply substitute a successful result without actually making the required save.
    Is the stated ability of the maneuver only the option to make a Concentration check instead of a Reflex save? The text of the maneuver itself includes more information that caused my initial confusion. Since it includes the clause "...use the result of [the Concentration] check to determine the save's success," are you supposed to treat the result of the Concentration check as a Reflex save? It seemed that way on my intial reading, especially since no DC for the Concentration check is listed as one usually is for flat skill checks. I can start a new thread if the discussion has gone too far in this thread (or if I'm delving too far into the realm of interpretation vs. RAW).
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2013-06-18 at 01:41 PM.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ogre in the Playground

Q205

What is the Use Magic Device DC for a creature incapable of speech to use a command word activated item?
    A 205 Partial: The item Amulet of Freedom of Speech will do what you want for 5k, no UMD. Find it in Icy Heart pg 6.

I assume that the UMD would be the same as emulating a race with speech, so 25.

Q 206: If you have immunity to x effect (eg fear), then when forced to make a save against x, do you still attempt the save (in regards to effects with the text "whenever you succeed on a save against a (fear) effect")?
    Last edited by GilesTheCleric; 2013-06-18 at 02:23 PM.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!" – Kubrick, "Dr. Strangelove"
    I do still exist. I'm active on discord. Priestess of Neptune#8648

24. - Top - End - #414
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Q 207

All Mithril armor counts as if it's one armor class lower, but if you want to wear a Mithril fullplate armor you still need heavy armor proficiency, is that correct?
    Life before death.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Banned

Devil

A207; No. Mithril Full Plate Armour is Medium Armour, so you only need Medium Armour Proficiency to use it without penalty.

Q208; what type of damage does an Incarnum Dragon do? Is it just d8 untyped damage (per age category)? Is there anything which resists it (outside of a save)?

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ogre in the Playground

Q208; what type of damage does an Incarnum Dragon do? Is it just d8 untyped damage (per age category)? Is there anything which resists it (outside of a save)?
    A 208: It's "essentia drain" damage. "cone of resonating energy that separates incarnum from living matter and deals damage to creatures (but not objects)." "A successful Fortitude save halves both the damage dealt and the essentia drained.The save DC is Constitution-based."

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!" – Kubrick, "Dr. Strangelove"
    I do still exist. I'm active on discord. Priestess of Neptune#8648

27. - Top - End - #417
    Titan in the Playground

Q194 Clarification

I was under the impression (meaning I can't remember where I read it) that an Enveloping Pit had considerably more space than a Portable Hole because one is square and the other is diameter...?
    A 194 (cont.)

Upon checking, the Enveloping Pit appears to be cylindrical like the Portable Hole, though the former has a ten foot diameter to the latter's six (I remembered wrong and thought they were the same) in addition to the extra depth.

In which case, the Enveloping Pit actually holds ~13.9 times as much.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

28. - Top - End - #418

A205 correction: According to the Magic Item Compendium, you cannot activate the item. I don't know about the Amulet of Freedom of Speech listed above; it may be from a third-party source.

Quote Originally Posted by MIC, pg 220
    You cannot activate a command word item in the area of a silence spell or if you are unable to speak.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2013-06-18 at 04:54 PM.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Titan in the Playground

A205 Continuance
    There is a difference between 'mute' and 'unable to speak'. If you can make a speech-like sound (ie, vocalize in any way) then you could use the 'Activate Blindly' option of Use Magic Device. That's a DC 25 check. If you cannot make a sound at all, then you cannot use this option, since you must perform an action similar to that which would activate the item normally in order to use Active Blindly. You would require further magical assistance to be able to speak a command word or generate an equivalent sound at that point.

(Amulet of Freedom of Speech is found in the Icy Heart adventure module on the Wizards website.)

30. - Top - End - #420
    Banned

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by GilesTheCleric View Post
    A 208: It's "essentia drain" damage. "cone of resonating energy that separates incarnum from living matter and deals damage to creatures (but not objects)." "A successful Fortitude save halves both the damage dealt and the essentia drained.The save DC is Constitution-based."
    This it does, but it is an additional effect. Here is the full text.

Breath Weapon (Su): An incarnum dragon’s breath weapon is a cone of resonating energy that separates incarnum from living matter and deals damage to creatures (but not to objects). Every creature within the area must make a Reflex save or be temporarily drained of essentia. This effect reduces the essentia pool of each target by a number of points equal to the dragon’s age category for 1 hour. A successful Fortitude save halves both the damage dealt and the essentia drained. The save DC is Constitution-based.
    The bolded part is the essentia drain; this is the bit "that separates incarnum from living matter"; 1/age category. The Breath Weapon in the stat block deals damage of 1d8/age category; what I'm trying to work out is what kind of damage it is. It is untyped, so cannot be resisted by anything short of being ethereal by my reckoning. The example dragon deals 6d8 damage plus 6 essentia.

I have just answered this myself, so okay.