New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXIII

Q453 If I am grappling can I breathe my breath weapon and then try to escape the grapple? If not can I breathe and attack with my natural weapons? These are all asking about the same round.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoPhoenix0 View Post
    Q 420

When using the shield self granted power of the Dahlver-Nar vestige, do you apply damage reduction before or after you half the damage and split it.
    Just bringing up one of my unanswered questions from a couple pages ago.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

3. - Top - End - #903
    Ettin in the Playground

A 453

The rules are pretty explicit, what you can do while being grappled. Taking a standard action to activate a breath weapon is not included.

4. - Top - End - #904
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 454

If one fails a save for a web spell, but then teleports out of the area of the web (say, with a psionic dimension door, which has no somatic components), are they still unable to move? Still entangled? Completely free?

5. - Top - End - #905
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 455

Is a beholder's eye ray attack considered a natural weapon?

I ask because whether it is or not seems to determine whether they can shoot eye rays while grappling using the restrictive list of things you can do while grappling
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/spe...ks.htm#grapple

which given their mediocre grapple check means that should be a very effective tactic.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    Q 455

Is a beholder's eye ray attack considered a natural weapon?

I ask because whether it is or not seems to determine whether they can shoot eye rays while grappling using the restrictive list of things you can do while grappling
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/spe...ks.htm#grapple

which given their mediocre grapple check means that should be a very effective tactic.
    A 455
    They are not natural weapons, no.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

7. - Top - End - #907
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q 456

How many size classes larger does a creature have to be before you can no longer sneak attack it? (Reaching it's vitals being a pre-requisite).

Is there an RAW answer to this? Or is it on a case by case basis?

(I'm asking because I might make a particularly small rogue, and don't want to short change myself in melee)

8. - Top - End - #908
    Bugbear in the Playground

A 456

It's entirely up to the DM, so if you're worried about it coming up a lot, consider making a ranged rogue.

I don't think I've ever seen it come up, personally; you can usually handwave a "I slash open the major veins in his foot" solution and most DMs I've played with either feel bad about denying the rogue his sneak attack or don't care enough about that bit of minutiae to keep track of it.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

9. - Top - End - #909
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q457

Is there a price listed anywhere for the molds slimes and fungi on page 76 of the DMG?

Wanting to build a wondrous garden of death.

10. - Top - End - #910
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Not that much, otherwise CPR would not work. How effectively a gilled creature utilizes the oxygen it extracts from the water, I don't know.
    Water contains much less oxygen than air does (5-15mg/L vs 270-290mg/L), and lungs are considerably more efficient at extracting oxygen from air than from a liquid anyway, so without some gas to breathe out (besides the tiny quantities of CO2 and O2) it wouldn't work at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

11. - Top - End - #911
    Troll in the Playground

Q458

1. Can you cast hardening on yourself?

2. Why not?

3. What do you have to do so that you can?
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

12. - Top - End - #912
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

A 458

1. No

2. Hardening affects an items hardness. Hardness is a property of objects. Objects are not creatures.

3. Find a way to become an object

Edit: By 'on yourself' I assume you mean a character that is a creature.
    Last edited by nyjastul69; 2013-07-12 at 08:21 PM.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.- Benjamin Franklin

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Evelyn Beatrice Hall

13. - Top - End - #913
    Titan in the Playground

A458 clarification: Hardness is not an exclusive property of objects, but hardening targets an "item" (presumably a careless synonym of "object") has SR:Yes (object), and affects "materials" (again, presumably a careless reference to objects). Therefore, while it is not impossible for a creature to have hardness, it is impossible for a creature to have hardening cast on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

14. - Top - End - #914
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

A458 Additional

tuggyne is correct. Animated Objects are an example of creatures with hardness. Animated Objects are not playable by RAW due to their LA-.

In regards to element 3 of your question I would suggest finding a creature with hardness that is playable. Such a creature can probably be found.
    Last edited by nyjastul69; 2013-07-12 at 09:02 PM.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.- Benjamin Franklin

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Evelyn Beatrice Hall

15. - Top - End - #915

Q 459
    Can a Hengeyokai speak Common and other languages in animal form?

Q 460
    Does a Hengeyokai drop all of their items after transforming, or do they merge with them as a Polymorph other?

(It says to delete Polymorph in only the first part of the errata but not the 2nd part. So I am confused on if the character still merges with their items or drops them.)

16. - Top - End - #916
    Titan in the Playground

Q 461

Can the Scrying spell be cast on a creature in a lead-lined room?
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

17. - Top - End - #917
    Troll in the Playground

A 461

No.

From the magic overview section of the SRD under divination is this text.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Scrying

A scrying spell creates an invisible magical sensor that sends you information. Unless noted otherwise, the sensor has the same powers of sensory acuity that you possess. This level of acuity includes any spells or effects that target you, but not spells or effects that emanate from you. However, the sensor is treated as a separate, independent sensory organ of yours, and thus it functions normally even if you have been blinded, deafened, or otherwise suffered sensory impairment.

Any creature with an Intelligence score of 12 or higher can notice the sensor by making a DC 20 Intelligence check. The sensor can be dispelled as if it were an active spell.

Lead sheeting or magical protection blocks a scrying spell, and you sense that the spell is so blocked.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

18. - Top - End - #918
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A 427, Re: A 438: Contention; A 444
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoPhoenix0 View Post
    We have yet to find any reason why you can't jump in mid air as long as you have a form of movement like flight as the only RAW restriction on a jump check is it must be part of a move action. If you disagree please cite a source.
    The D&D game doesn't define jump; it merely tells, in terms of game mechanics, how you use the Jump skill when you are capable of doing so. The definition is as usual:
    jump
    -verb (used without object)

1. to spring clear of the ground or other support by a sudden muscular effort; leap: to jump into the air; to jump out a window.
    You cannot use the Jump skill if you cannot exert a sudden muscular effort against the ground or some other support.

19. - Top - End - #919
    Ogre in the Playground

jump
    -verb (used without object)

1. to spring clear of the ground or other support by a sudden muscular effort; leap: to jump into the air; to jump out a window.
    Fun fact: going with this definition, Jumping Spiders don't jump (they don't jump by muscular effort since they don't have the such muscles in their legs)

20. - Top - End - #920
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    Fun fact: going with this definition, Jumping Spiders don't jump (they don't jump by muscular effort since they don't have the such muscles in their legs)
    The definition does not state that the muscles need to be in the legs.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

21. - Top - End - #921

Q 462

The Touch of the Shadow Sun ability of the Shadow Sun Ninja PRC allows you to deal negative energy damage equal to your base unarmed damage + your Wis modifier. If you use the Combat Rhythm tactical option of the Stormguard Warrior feat before using the TotSS ability, does the +5 damage that is added next round to the ability count as "base unarmed damage" (so would you deal 5 or more points of negative energy damage with your unarmed strike than normal or would it be lethal/nonlethal damage)?

22. - Top - End - #922
    Troll in the Playground

Q 463:

The feat Infernal Sorcerer Howl allows me to expend a spell slot that creates "a 30-foot cone of sonic energy." It then says that all opponents within this cone take 2d6 points of damage per the level of the spell slot that was extended, but does not mention a damage type. Does this count as sonic damage, or is it untyped?

Q 464:

Is there any way to change the elemental damage type of a special ability or feat? Basically, looking for something like Energy Substitution for things other than spells/powers.
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

23. - Top - End - #923

Q 465

Some dieites have two favored weapons with the second in brackets. For example, Ghaunadaur has "an amorphous tentacle (warhammer)" as favored weapons. When a cleric uses the spiritual weapons spell, which weapon does it create?
    Last edited by 123456789blaaa; 2013-07-13 at 10:03 AM.

24. - Top - End - #924
    Ettin in the Playground

Repost, because it din't get answered earlier:
    Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Q 426

Are there any conditions to be met (beyond the prerequisites from the feat) to get more than one extra attack from improved rapidstrike?
    A 465 Maybe

I always thought the first only specifies the look and the second specifies the stats. IIRC every time the favored weapon is presented in that fashion, the first is not something you can find in any of the weapon tables. While there are natural tentacle attacks, they are not classified as amorphous.

25. - Top - End - #925

OldWizardGuy

Q466:

I'm immune to poisons. Say, a lvl 9 Druid.

I eat something poisoned, do i know it was poisoned without resorting to poison detection spells (or whatever)? Or do i just eat the food and shrug it off, not knowing?
    Last edited by Norin; 2013-07-13 at 11:29 AM.
    "If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance."

26. - Top - End - #926
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 463 It's sonic damage.

The short description ("Expend spell slot to create cone of sonic energy") agrees with the longer feat text:
    You channel the fury of your infernal ancestors into a thunderous roar that blasts your enemies with sonic power.
    Benefit: By expending one of your spell slots, you create a 30-foot cone of sonic energy.
    It's just slightly different language than the more common form ("2d6 points of sonic (energy) damage").

A 466 You're clueless.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2013-07-13 at 02:07 PM.

27. - Top - End - #927
    Troll in the Playground

A 463

It does sonic damage. the first sentence of the benefit section says it is a cone of sonic energy.

Edit: Ninja'd
    Last edited by NeoPhoenix0; 2013-07-13 at 02:08 PM.

Current avatar by me

28. - Top - End - #928
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post

Q451

Can the Sacred Guardian Template be applied to a weapon with the Flying +1 weapon enhancement? (MoF140)

Q452

Do nonhumanoid constructs like Animated Objects and Crawling Claws have Magic Item Body Slots?
    Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Q448

Does the Sacred Guardian template have to be applied to the construct at creation?

Q449

How much experience do constructs have at creation?
    Is it permissible to ask these again?

29. - Top - End - #929
    Troll in the Playground

Q 467

If you cast hardening (on a valid target) multiple times, will it stack? It just says it "increases the hardness", instead of "grants an enhancement bonus" or anything like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

30. - Top - End - #930
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: Q 448

The only Sacred Guardian template I know of is in Bestiary of Krynn Revised, a Dragonlance book. Except for the part of that supplement which updates information from Dragonlance Campaign Setting (such as that for Dragonspawn), the book is Dragonlance-only. As such, it's outside the scope of this D&D-specific thread.

A 449 0 XP.

All creatures start with 0 XP unless you're creating them for a game beginning at a higher level, in which case you should talk to your DM.

Re: Q 451

Again, this is a Dragonlance question, not a D&D question.

A 452 Yes.

All creatures, including Construct type creatures, have body slots. See Magic Item Compendium on page 219 for adjustments for non-Humanoid creatures, and talk to your DM about which body slots are missing.

A 465 additional info
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiritual Weapon
    The weapon takes the shape of a weapon favored by your deity or a weapon with some spiritual significance or symbolism to you (see below) and has the same threat range and critical multipliers as a real weapon of its form.
    Ghaunadaur is worshiped by both Aberrations and Drow (see Lords of Madness on page 177). The warhammer is the preferred weapon unless you have a tentacle naturally. Thus the answer here is the weapon which you can use is the weapon with greater significance to you. Reading the writeup for a particular deity may provide information similar to that for Ghaunadaur; otherwise, you and your DM will decide among multiple favored weapons when such issues come up.

A 467 No.

The duration of Hardening (Spell Compendium, page 109) is permanent, not instantaneous; it lasts only until dispelled. The standard spell stacking rules apply. You get the best improvement of all instances of Hardening rather than adding them.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2013-07-13 at 03:45 PM.