New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1500
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXIII

Q614

Where is it stated that creatures with the dragon type do not suffer penalties from aging? The Monster Manual description of the dragon type does not state anything of the sort.

(Also, my question about shapeshifter subtype, wild shape, and Warshaper was never answered. Is it alright to bring that up?)

2. - Top - End - #1232

Q615

How much does a single magic arrow (say +1) cost, and where can I find that rule in the books? I am fairly certain it is 1/50 of a "regular" weapon of the same bonus, but since I can't find the rule, I'm starting to doubt...
    Spoiler: ICitP Participations
    Show

L - Corrupt Avenger - Brooswayn Scourgesoul (4th)
    LI - Black Flame Zealot - Anubis (SILVER)

Blackguard Avatar from Cealocanth

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Titan in the Playground

A 615

Under the section on Magic Weapons, there is a note on the Base Price column of Table: Weapons*

* This price is for 50 arrows, crossbow bolts, shuriken, or sling bullets.

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 611 #2 (possibly)

That sounds like the Vril from Drow of the Underdark.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2013-07-29 at 01:43 AM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Titan in the Playground

A611b

Sounds like you might be thinking of a Skindancer from MM3 (p.158), but there may be more than one creature with this kind of adaptive DR.

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Dwarf in the Playground

(Also, my question about shapeshifter subtype, wild shape, and Warshaper was never answered. Is it alright to bring that up?)
    Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    Q 495

If a creature with the shapechanger subtype, like a changeling, obtains wild shape and then reaches level 5 of Warshaper (Complete Warrior, page 90), would they gain both of the benefits of the capstone or just one or the other?
    A 495

After looking over the Warshaper's final ability, I imagine it would give you both abilities, but tied separately to your other abilities.

For instance: if you were a Doppelganger with the Shapechange (su) ability, you could shapechange as a move action (and then attack the same action I suppose, or just shapechange again really super fast to freak people out)

But then the same Doppelganger with levels in Druid wouldn't be able to Wild Shape as a move action. Instead, he would gain the ability to Wild Shape multiple times during the same duration.

Point of interest though, he could still use his Shapechange ability as a move action while in animal form. At least as far as I can tell.

But yeah, no move-action Wild Shape at least not from what I would go with. This IS mostly interpretation though, but I think it makes way more sense.
    Last edited by Arkusus; 2013-07-29 at 03:50 AM.

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Titan in the Playground

Q 616

What is the Challenge Rating of a Skulk (RoD p.105) with no class levels?

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 616

From the table: CR 2.

9. - Top - End - #1239

Imp

Q 617

Is there a way to use your own Int Modifier for Spell Trigger and -completion items (wands, scrolls etc) by getting a specific feat?

Scrolls crafted by a person with Int higher than the minimum required for the spell still are created with an automatic Int modifier equal to the one needed to cast the spell, correct?

10. - Top - End - #1240

Imp

Q 618

Is there a way to use your own Caster Level for Spell Trigger and -completion items (wands, scrolls etc) by getting a specific feat?

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 617 No.

You may use your INT modifier for spell trigger items if
    • INT happens to be your spellcasting ability.
    • The spell trigger item is a staff.
    "INT modifier" is largely meaningless when it comes to magic items, because whether the crafter used INT or some other ability score is irrelevant to the user. There are no feats which let you retroactively increase the power of a scroll or wand.
    For a saving throw against a spell or spell-like effect from a magic item, the DC is 10 + the level of the spell or effect + the ability modifier of the minimum ability score needed to cast that level of spell.

Staffs are an exception to the rule. Treat the saving throw as if the wielder cast the spell, including caster level and all modifiers to save DC.
    A 618 No.

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Ettin in the Playground

Q619

If you choose to delay on the first round of combat, are you still flat-footed until you choose to enter initiative?

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Titan in the Playground

A619: Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD Special Initiative Actions
    By choosing to delay, you take no action…
    You are flat-footed until you take an action.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    Q614

Where is it stated that creatures with the dragon type do not suffer penalties from aging? The Monster Manual description of the dragon type does not state anything of the sort.
    A 614

There is, to the best of my knowledge, no general rule to this effect. True dragons do not age like lesser beings do, and actually gain power as they get older, which is represented in-game by the 12 age categories that they move through as they age. Lesser dragons (creatures of the Dragon type that are not true dragons) generally do not have information relating to their age, but the Monster Manual tells us (on p. 68) that they do not gain power as they age in the same manner that true dragons do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Manual, True Dragon, p. 68
    All true dragons gain more abilities and greater power as they age. (Other creatures that have the dragon type do not.)
    If you are asking about Dragonwrought Kobolds in particular, Races of the Dragon says that they do not take aging penalties on page 39.
    Last edited by Karnith; 2013-07-29 at 05:52 PM.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class Is In Its Tier

On the use of the tier system:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darius Kane View Post
    "What's this? A TV Guide? How dare you tell me what movies I should watch! Fitness guide? Burn it, I can take care of my health by myself, thank you very much!"

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Troll in the Playground

A 614 Dispute

In the Draconomicon, at the section about Dragon aging, there is actually a (small) section about them taking ability penalties for aging - as they enter the Twilight, they can quickly suffer from ability drain before succumbing.

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Q620
    Just for a bit of clarification on the rules for becoming an elemental savant...

It doesn't say under the requirements that your energy substitution feat and the spells you need to qualify for the class need to be of the same type, nor that the outsider that you contact must have anything at all to do with the element you are choosing to dedicate yourself to. All that matters is that three spells share an energy descriptor, and that you contact an elemental or an outsider with an elemental subtype. Your elemental devotion is based solely on your energy substitution choice.

I would be able to take Energy Substitution (cold), learn nothing but fire spells, and then contact an earth outsider to qualify to become a water savant, correct?

Q621
    An elemental savant automatically converts spells that deal energy damage into their chosen energy type. Does this class feature affect which spells they can use to channel the abilities of reserve feats?

For example, suppose a sorcerer who became a water elemental savant has selected Wall of Fire as his first (and only) fourth level spell. He knows the spell as a fire spell, but casts it as a cold spell.

Can he use the cold cone ability of the Winter's Blast reserve feat as though he had a cold spell of fourth level available to cast, since he would cast the spell as a cold spell?

Would the same elemental savant be unable to use Wall of Fire to fuel the fire burst effect of the Fiery Burst reserve feat, since he is not able to cast it as a fire spell and the feat requires having a fire spell "available to cast"?

Q622
    How do spells like Combust and Ray of Flame work after becoming an elemental savant of a type other than fire? Both spells deal damage upon striking their target, offering no saving throw. After the damage has been dealt, the target then makes a reflex save to avoid catching fire.

Would the spell no longer cause the target to catch fire, since it no longer deals fire damage?

Would the spell ignite the target with magical fire that deals energy damage appropriate to the savant's energy substitution, since it is a secondary effect of an energy-substituted spell?

Or would the target burn and take fire damage as it normally would, because it's magic and you don't need to explain how an ice ray could make someone burst into flames?

Q623
    I need some clarification on the Opalescent Glare spell in the Spell Compendium.

The spell's range is "personal," the target is "you," and the duration in "instantaneous." The description states that "you gain a gaze attack usable against creature within 60 feet." The description makes it sound as though the spell permanently grants this ability to its caster. Is this correct?
    Last edited by Vaern; 2013-07-30 at 04:25 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Titan in the Playground

A 623

Technically, yes. It's pretty safe to assume that's not how the writers meant it to work, though.

See also: Psionic Lion's Charge.
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2013-08-06 at 03:52 AM.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Ogre in the Playground

Q624

Can you take Weapon Focus (Shield)?

My Homebrew-Estote clementes, et numquam desinete discere.-FanAdv

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 625

What happens if a character suddenly does not have enough XP to support his current level? E.g. Fighter 4/Sorcerer 1/Dragon Disciple 9, acquires enough XP to go to ECL 15 and takes the tenth level of Dragon disciple. He now is a half-dragon with 15 class levels and thus ECL 18, but he does not even have enough XP to have ECL 16.

Q 626

Does a character wearing a collar of umbral metamorphosis earn less XP than without it?
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2013-07-30 at 08:57 AM.

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Troll in the Playground

A 625 You don't level up until you get enough experience until you have enough to hit ECL 19. In the meanwhile you chug along as normal.
    Last edited by ZamielVanWeber; 2013-07-30 at 09:15 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Troll in the Playground

A 624

Yes. When you make a shield bash attack, the shield is counted as a "martial bludgeoning weapon". Weapon Focus requires you to select "one type of weapon". Therefore you can select the shield as your weapon. Of course, it will only be useful in shield bash attacks and will have no effect on your AC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q 627

Would a Human Dragonfire Adept lose its breath weapon attack when under the effect of his Humanoid Shape invocation. The Humanoid Shape says that it functions like the Change Shape monster ability.

Basic question is are class abilities (like the Dragonfire Adept's Breath Weapon) carried through a Change Shape?

Thank You.

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pungatha View Post
    Q 627

Would a Human Dragonfire Adept lose its breath weapon attack when under the effect of his Humanoid Shape invocation.
    A 627
    Yes, the dragonfire adept would lose its breath weapon. Normally you would retain special attacks and qualities derived from class levels, but breath weapons and gaze attacks are explicitly not retained after changing shape. Per the SRD:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD, Change Shape
    • The creature loses the natural weapons and movement modes of its original form, as well as any extraordinary special attacks of its original form not derived from class levels (such as the barbarian’s rage class feature).
    • The creature gains the natural weapons, movement modes, and extraordinary special attacks of its new form.
    • The creature retains all other special attacks and qualities of its original form, except for breath weapons and gaze attacks.
    (Emphasis mine)
    Last edited by Karnith; 2013-07-30 at 01:08 PM.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class Is In Its Tier

On the use of the tier system:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darius Kane View Post
    "What's this? A TV Guide? How dare you tell me what movies I should watch! Fitness guide? Burn it, I can take care of my health by myself, thank you very much!"

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 627 correction:

He does retain the breath weapon because it is not a quality of his form, it is a feature of his class levels. You cannot just ignore the qualifying clause from that sentence.

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Troll in the Playground

Q 628
    For martial adepts with RHD, do you add 1/2 your RHD to your initiator level when determining the level of maneuver you can learn at levelup, or do you only count actual class levels?

I ask because under "Initiator Level", it says if you lack martial adept levels, your IL is equal to 1/2 your character level, while the next section, "Multiclass Characters", states you only use class levels.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 628

You follow the RAW, so only your class levels count for initiator level determination once you have at least one martial adept class.

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q629

Is a spellcaster able to prepare lower level spells in a higher level spell slot? Without metamagics I mean.

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 629 Yes.
    Spell Slots

The various character class tables show how many spells of each level a character can cast per day. These openings for daily spells are called spell slots. A spellcaster always has the option to fill a higher-level spell slot with a lower-level spell. A spellcaster who lacks a high enough ability score to cast spells that would otherwise be his or her due still gets the slots but must fill them with spells of lower level.

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Troll in the Playground

Q 630
    Does a half-elf's elven blood ability permit it to qualify for things that have "Elf" as a requirement, such as the elven generalist ACF?

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 630 No.
    Elven Blood: For all effects related to race, a half-elf is considered an elf.
    A racial prerequisite is not an effect.