New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Dune's Sandworms (3.5)

Quote Originally Posted by Veklim View Post
    What about the whole issue with water? You've not even touched on that as far as I can see...
    Well, it does say that "Even small amounts of water are lethal to sandworms. A sandworm that comes in contact with water must succeed on a Fortitude Save (DC 30) to even survive the encounter."

But how much water? A vial full? What if you just spit on it?

I was surprised that the hit dice are so low. I think that stats for Shai-Halud would be better fitted to the standard sandworm. What makes it unkillable, exactly? There isn't even any damage reduction!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheiromancer View Post
    Well, it does say that "Even small amounts of water are lethal to sandworms. A sandworm that comes in contact with water must succeed on a Fortitude Save (DC 30) to even survive the encounter."

But how much water? A vial full? What if you just spit on it?

I was surprised that the hit dice are so low. I think that stats for Shai-Halud would be better fitted to the standard sandworm. What makes it unkillable, exactly? There isn't even any damage reduction!
    Id like to think it would require a bit more than a single vial of water.

honesty, you really think its too low? lmao.

DR could be rectified. What do you think? DR 20/Bludgeoning?

Spoiler
    Show
    Belladonis Campaign Setting 3.5
    Casting as a Skill

Learn from your mistakes, 3.5...
    Fill in those dead levels...

Abrothia's Vision
    Spoiler
    Show

Welcome to the World Serpent Inn!
    Spoiler
    Show

- - - IC - - - OOC - - -

Extended Signature (90% complete)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

DR 30/epic and electricity for the biggest sandsworms perhaps.

According to the Dune books, even small amounts of water are fatal to sandworm. How small is "small"? We know that even the amount of water in a human is too much, which is why they don't eat people.

At some point, you have to distinguish the sandworms from Arrakis (where there is no magic and spells that create magical effects with water, such as from create food and water or ice storm would be unknown or disallowed), from sandworms that would appear in more generic deserts.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    DR 30/epic and electricity for the biggest sandsworms perhaps.
    Epic isn't a tag that gets applied to spells though. That would mean that only shocking/shocking burst damage from +6 or better weapons can get past DR... except that DR is usually only applied to weapon damage, not even mundane fire and acid.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Epic isn't a tag that gets applied to spells though. That would mean that only shocking/shocking burst damage from +6 or better weapons can get past DR... except that DR is usually only applied to weapon damage, not even mundane fire and acid.
    Though create water is still very lethal.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

That spell doesn't work on Arrakis. Magically created water from spells, spell-like abilities, supernatural abilities, and magic items and magically created waster immediately evaporates. Or just make sandworms immune to non-natural sources of water.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2013-06-21 at 09:42 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    That sounds about right.

If this mimics Arrakis, then you have to disallow any spells and magical effects that have water in the description or descriptor such. The gods do not grant spells that create water. All magical items, spell-like abilities, supernatural abilities, etc., that would otherwise create water in any form cease to work there. It's like it's own little demiplane in that regard.

If you just want to make these desert worms and ignore the fact that small amounts of water are lethal to them, that works too. You have to decide what you want.

I personally have no problem with saying that only people who can cast spells on Arrakis are the Fremen as they are the only ones able to obtain the water of life. As such, they have to forgo the use of any magical, supernatural or alchemical methods of obtaining water. This, however, goes beyond the scope what the stat block does.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2013-06-21 at 10:20 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    That sounds about right.

If this mimics Arrakis, then you have to disallow any spells and magical effects that have water in the description or descriptor such. The gods do not grant spells that create water. All magical items, spell-like abilities, supernatural abilities, etc., that would otherwise create water in any form cease to work there. It's like it's own little demiplane in that regard.

If you just want to make these desert worms and ignore the fact that small amounts of water are lethal to them, that works too. You have to decide what you want.

I personally have no problem with saying that only people who can cast spells on Arrakis are the Fremen as they are the only ones able to obtain the water of life. As such, they have to forgo the use of any magical, supernatural or alchemical methods of obtaining water. This, however, goes beyond the scope what the stat block does.

Debby
    I agree wholeheartedly. On Arrakis, water cannot be simply summoned, it can only be found.

Spoiler
    Show
    Belladonis Campaign Setting 3.5
    Casting as a Skill

Learn from your mistakes, 3.5...
    Fill in those dead levels...

Abrothia's Vision
    Spoiler
    Show

Welcome to the World Serpent Inn!
    Spoiler
    Show

- - - IC - - - OOC - - -

Extended Signature (90% complete)

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Anyone know if there is a 5e conversion for these?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I don't use 5e, but perhaps you can just adapt the 5e purple worm?