New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: V for vegetarian?

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    They are food and don't contain meat, ergo they are a vegetarian dish. It's not a particularly exclusive category.
    To be fair, muffins can be made with lard which can be significantly more objectionable to a vegetarian than, say, butter.
    If you can read this you are too close.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sky_Schemer View Post
    To be fair, muffins can be made with lard which can be significantly more objectionable to a vegetarian than, say, butter.
    'Cruelty free' muffins, then.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

3. - Top - End - #33
    Banned

Oh, cool. A vegetarian Giant.!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    Wait, why are people implying banana nut muffins are a vegetarian dish? Are meat muffins a popular thing?
    Ever seen McDonald's breakfast menu?
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

Guys, guys. Just because one character of a particular race happens to be vegetarian does not mean the entire race is.

Furthermore, it's not some covert statement by the author about vegetarianism (or other diets).

It just means that a single character happens to be a vegetarian. Nothing more.
    Wolfen Houndog - The World in Revolt (4e)
    The Mythic Warrior, a 3.5 base class that severs limbs and sunders armor
    The Nameless One, converted to 3.5 and 5e

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Well said.
    -.____________________

7. - Top - End - #37

Quote Originally Posted by thereaper View Post
    Guys, guys. Just because one character of a particular race happens to be vegetarian does not mean the entire race is.
    It does not entail that "the entire race" is such, no. But -- especially in a fantasy context -- it may be indicative of such.

Let's take Celia's case. Consider that she as well as her two faerie friends all appear to be vegan. It's entirely plausible that veganism or vegetarianism are species-wide traits. Could be a cultural thing, or they could be physically incapable of digesting meat. (I grant that "all three happen to be vegans" is also a possibility.)

V's case would be on shakier ground, I think, because we don't have much evidence of other vegetarian elves, and we may have a harder time accepting that non-magical beings are all alike. (The Giant has indicated, for instance, that he is more comfortable with blatantly supernatural creatures being "always" one alignment than he is with respect to non-supernatural creatures like goblins.)

On a related point, the strip has, in the past, lampshaded the fact that fantasy races often have monocultures in which all individuals are practically indistinguishable from the others. Durkon loves his beer, as does every other dwarf. We don't have evidence to say that this is in fact the case with V's vegetarianism -- and there may be very good reasons to suspect that it is not the case -- but you can't fault folks for pursuing it as a line of inquiry or speculation.
    Last edited by Bird; 2013-06-04 at 04:21 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

We do have an additional reason for believing the elves are somewhat monocultural: unlike some of the other races, but like the dwarves, they appear to only have a single nation (one which largely keeps to itself, even).
    Last edited by ti'esar; 2013-06-04 at 04:09 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    I wouldn't like that to be true.

I don't like the idea that Elves have to be vegetarian because they're a wiser and superior race.
    I don't see your concern. Elves don't have a bonus to Wisdom.

Edit: Also, most people would agree human racial bonuses are superior to what elves get.
    Last edited by Raimun; 2013-06-04 at 06:20 AM.
    Signatures are so 90's.

10. - Top - End - #40

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I don't see your concern. Elves don't have a bonus to Wisdom.

Edit: Also, most people would agree human racial bonuses are superior to what elves get.
    Well excluding that whole lifespan thing. Though there's a funny bit regarding that in the Origin of PCs.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post

On a related point, the strip has, in the past, lampshaded the fact that fantasy races often have monocultures in which all individuals are practically indistinguishable from the others. Durkon loves his beer, as does every other dwarf. We don't have evidence to say that this is in fact the case with V's vegetarianism -- and there may be very good reasons to suspect that it is not the case -- but you can't fault folks for pursuing it as a line of inquiry or speculation.
    Yes, we can. V has shown plenty of traits no other elves share with her - Lirian, Inkyrius and the specieist commander aren't nearly as loquacious. Nor do they evoke first and ask questions later. V's vegetarianism is just that - V's vegetarianism. It's nonsensical to take it as a hint it's more common among elves than among any other race. Or are we going to start assuming halflings are knife murderers until proven otherwise?
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Colossus in the Playground

Clearly, the reason Serini was able to convince the rest of the Order of the Scribble to go along with her proposed compromise was because they knew her second offer would be "I murder you all."

What?

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    V's vegetarianism is just that - V's vegetarianism. It's nonsensical to take it as a hint it's more common among elves than among any other race.
    One thing that occurs to me. The Elven ambassador was among the diners at Tarquin's banquet.

Yes, I know it was Z in disguise. But if he was pretending to be a vegetarian elf, he would have declined the invitation.

I deduce, therefore, that not all elves are vegetarian. And Z certainly isn't.
    -.____________________

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Yes, V is a vegetarian.
    Self-Godwin: You know you what other mass murderer was also a vegetarian?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

Is there anyway we can use this new-found knowledge to determine V's gender?

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    Ever seen McDonald's breakfast menu?
    Most of what mcdonalds makes is not actually food though.

17. - Top - End - #47

Tolkien's elves are all vegetarian, I believe.
    I like semicolons; they make me feel smart.

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by rodneyAnonymous View Post
    Why do you think that?
    Spoiler: Out-of-context quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...He would have to stay there permanently (without cake, somehow not breathing) for the prophecy to be fulfilled.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    Maybe Blackwing is a Schrödinger's familiar.
    Any given member of the Order needs to do a quantum measurement to see if they remember him

Azurite Name Inspirations
    Rich is a better writer than that!
    Free speech?

19. - Top - End - #49

There's quite a bit about elves hunting in Tolkien. I suppose they could have used just the skins and left the meat to the wolves, but that doesn't seem terribly likely to me.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

In 'The Hobbit', the wood elves are specifically described as roasting meat in their Mirkwood BBQs:

"The smell of the roast meats was so enchanting that, without waiting to consult one another, every one of them got up and scrambled forwards into the ring with the one idea of begging for some food."
    Last edited by veti; 2013-06-04 at 03:30 PM.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

21. - Top - End - #51

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Yes, we can. V has shown plenty of traits no other elves share with her - Lirian, Inkyrius and the specieist commander aren't nearly as loquacious. Nor do they evoke first and ask questions later. V's vegetarianism is just that - V's vegetarianism. It's nonsensical to take it as a hint it's more common among elves than among any other race. Or are we going to start assuming halflings are knife murderers until proven otherwise?
    Please note that I did at no point assume that elves are all vegetarians. I have not claimed that all elves are vegetarians, that all elves are likely to be vegetarians, or that I believe all elves are vegetarians. My quite modest position is that "vegetarianism as a cultural or biological trait for elves is an interesting thing to speculate about." That's all. Such a position does not even carry a burden of proof, I would argue, since it comes down to our individual preferences and interests.

I agree that V shows traits not shown by other elves, and that folks have not discussed the possibility of these being species-wide traits. V is not identical to all other elves. Cheerfully granted.

Folks on the gender debate thread have floated the all-elves-are-gender-ambiguous idea, which I find to be both unlikely and contradicted by the comic, but it is something fun to think about.

I agree we should not assume all halflings are knife murderers. (Though as an aside, Dark Sun halflings are a bit like that.) Strong reasons for discarding this hypothesis include:

1. Knife murdering is a wild contradiction of the stereotypical depiction of halflings.
    2. The comic has clearly indicated that Belkar is abnormal in this respect.

I think the vegetarianism for elves claim is substantively different. To give one reason, it's possible to imagine vegetarianism fitting in with the stereotypical portrayal of elves. As a matter of fact, if we think of the popular close-to-nature representation of their race, it would make a sort of sense.

Again, it would be very similar to the "all dwarves like beer" claim, or the "all elves are trained to use a bow" claim, which are true or near-true as directly evidenced by the comic. D&D and fantasy literature in general are chock full of that stuff. And as ti'esar pointed out, the fact that all the elves come from the same secluded nation opens up the possibility that they have a standard fantasy monoculture, as the dwarves appear to have.

If someone wanted to say that the conception of elves as hunters contradicts the idea of elves as vegetarians, that'd be fine, but I think that vegetarianism would be an interesting twist on elves' nature-oriented ways.

Spoiler
    Show
    Final point: part of the reason that I find the race-wide idea interesting is that it might be odd for V to be an ethical vegetarian while also being all about blowing monsters up with magic for most of his life. Vegetarianism as a cultural or biological trait would explain this away. Of course, it's VERY possible to have internal contradictions in character and actions, so this doesn't prove anything. Yes, a mass murderer can be a vegetarian, even an ethical vegetarian. It's just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel
    One thing that occurs to me. The Elven ambassador was among the diners at Tarquin's banquet.

Yes, I know it was Z in disguise. But if he was pretending to be a vegetarian elf, he would have declined the invitation.

I deduce, therefore, that not all elves are vegetarian. And Z certainly isn't.
    I was thinking about the same thing, yeah. However, we don't know what Z was eating, and it's entirely possible that:

--Z accepted the invitation without considering what would be on the menu, or
    --A special vegetarian meal was prepared in advance for Z.

(They didn't prepare a special meal for Malack, but we all know why that wasn't the case.)

By the way, thanks for making this thread.
    Last edited by Bird; 2013-06-04 at 04:02 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52

GreataxeFighterGirl

I'm amazed by the fact that, even after reading this comic multiple times throughout almost a decade, there's still some cool little details to be found on it.

23. - Top - End - #53

Quote Originally Posted by Domino Quartz View Post
    Why do you think that?
    Because in Fellowship, when the hobbits run into the elves as they leave the Shire, the elven food conspicuously lacks meat (which Samwise complains about). Also, no meat in Rivendell if I remember correctly.

I am apparently mistaken, though.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well then, it's a good thing that OOTS elves are a new species created by a still-living author, based on creatures of ancient mythology, and are unrelated to the writings of one particular dead modern author

(They didn't prepare a special meal for Malack, but we all know why that wasn't the case.)
    Ooo! Now I can derail on a tangent
    They could easily have prepared a special meal for Malack without anyone realizing what it was. He even prepared his own drink and gave some to Durkon.
    I'm amazed by the fact that, even after reading this comic multiple times throughout almost a decade, there's still some cool little details to be found on it.
    Agreed, that's what I like about this series.
    Is there anyway we can use this new-found knowledge to determine V's gender?
    No
    Most All of what mcdonalds makes is not actually food though.
    Fixed for you.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Well then, it's a good thing that OOTS elves are a new species created by a still-living author, based on creatures of ancient mythology, and are unrelated to the writings of one particular dead modern author
    More like, they're an interpretation of a race described in game materials that owe an enormous amount to Tolkien. To claim that there's a line of descent going (Ancient Norse or Gaelic folklore -> Rich Burlew), without Tolkien as an intermediate step, is just surreal.
    Last edited by veti; 2013-06-05 at 05:18 PM.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

Always knew.
    Last edited by Surprise!; 2013-06-06 at 12:50 PM.
    "How do I know that you know that my mouth is my own?"
    -Mouse Fitzgerald

A large made-up percentage of people put made-up percentages, concerning whether or not they do something, in their signatures. If you are one of the smaller made-up percentage, put this in your signature.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Well, I noticced that he often didn't eat meat when others were, but wasn't keeping track of it.

I find amusing that the person who single-handedly committed genocide on a sentient race is also the same person who won't kill animals for humanitarian concerns.
    As others pointed out, it is not without precedent in our world.
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

28. - Top - End - #58

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowere View Post
    I find amusing that the person who single-handedly committed genocide on a sentient race is also the same person who won't kill animals for humanitarian concerns.
    That is kind of funny but I think it's relevant to mention there are several reasons besides "humanitarian concerns" for not eating animals, and V's are never stated.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Firbolg in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowere View Post
    Well, I noticced that he often didn't eat meat when others were, but wasn't keeping track of it.

I find amusing that the person who single-handedly committed genocide on a sentient race is also the same person who won't kill eat animals for humanitarian dietary concerns.
    As others pointed out, it is not without precedent in our world.
    Fixed that for you.
    V has killed a number of animals in the past. That he won't EAT animals is demonstratably not a moral choice, but a dietary one.
    "You want to see how a Human dies? at ramming speed."

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Acanous View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    V has killed a number of animals in the past. That he won't EAT animals is demonstratably not a moral choice, but a dietary one.
    Not at all. That doesn't follow.
    -.____________________