New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Water, Earth, Fire, and Air [class]

Quote Originally Posted by mikoto View Post
    Unless it was mentioned in the show, people connected to earth i.e.earth benders, always seem connected to plants as well
    Not only was it mentioned, it was demonstrated as a special bending style of the Foggy Swamp Water Tribe.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wow, it’s been a while since I’ve responded. Let’s see…

New Forms:

Stillness: I like the idea. Perhaps something like this:
    Stillness (Moderate) – When using this form, an Airbender creates an area of calm with a radius of 10 ft. Within this radius, he/she is able to limit the transmission of sound through the air, allowing those within the radius to move more stealthily, gaining a circumstance bonus to Move Silently checks equal to half the Airbender’s class level (minimum 1). The Airbender must concentrate to maintain this ability.
    What do you think?

Whispers of the Wind: I like the general idea, but I think I like it better as a form that hinders an opponent’s ability to attack rather than granting more defensive bonuses to the Airbender. How ‘bout this:
    Ensnaring Wind – An Airbender using this form creates an area around a single foe where strong winds impede movement and combat. The Airbender can target any creature size Large or smaller with this ability. The targeted creature’s combat abilities are hindered, and it takes a penalty to attack and damage rolls equal to -1 per 3 Airbender levels. The target can attempt to avoid this penalty with a Fortitude Save (DC 10 + half the Airbender’s class level + the Airbender’s Wisdom modifier). An Airbender must concentrate in order to maintain this ability (up to 1 round/level).

Steady Stance: Nice one. I’ll add it when I get the chance.

Body of the Elements: I’m reluctant on this one. On the one hand, it’s an interesting idea and looks pretty well-executed. On the other, I don’t think that elementals exist in the Avatar universe (if I’m wrong, please correct me). I like the idea of encasing the bender’s body in the element, but I don’ think that using an elemental form is the way to go.

Break Stance: Awesome idea. That was a really cool scene too. I’ll add it when I get the chance.

Baleful Updraft: Another amazing idea. Consider it added (Greater Form I’m thinking).

Tilt: You’ve convinced me. Tilt is in. Nice work.

Prestige Classes
    First let me reiterate that I think having levels in multiple bending classes should be really really hard. Not necessarily requiring high levels, but that multiclassing between bending classes should be discouraged and made difficult in-game with heavy role-playing and class prerequisites. There are a total of 0 “multiclass” benders in the show except the Avatar, whose power comes from the fact that he/she is able to master all the elements. While I understand that D&D players will want to multiclass and I realize that we have to depart from the show at some points (for example, I still like Spider Climb as an ability for all Earthbenders instead of only the Dai Li), I think that this is one aspect we should keep true to the show.

With the syncretic PrC’s (Initiate of the Mist and Magma Disciple) as a group, I think that they should function so that one bending discipline is more prominent than the other. Perhaps the character chooses a primary bending discipline and the PrC advances those forms and abilities as normal (as occurs currently) and the secondary discipline at half rate (i.e. every even level). This way we maintain some of the rigidity of the bending disciplines as characterized by the show but allow some multiclassing. That said, on to the PrC’s.

Magma Disciple:
    I like the idea, but see above for my reservations. It looks pretty balanced, especially since they are heavily crippled form-wise. Some harsher prerequisites (and maybe the above gimping of one of the bending disciplines) are all I’d suggest. Great job!

Dai Li:
    Another great idea. As has been said, Spider Climb is already part of the Earthbender base class. I also agree that, beyond the first few levels, this class doesn’t offer anything really except Sneak Attack. However, I think that you could spread out the benefits of the Gloves of Earth, building up their damage as the character gains levels (similar to how monks progress) and allowing dual-wielding. Also consider adding the ability to make the Earthen Bindings function at range (perhaps functioning as the Iron Bands wondrous item). Also, I think that the Sneak Attack should only apply to damage dealt with the Gloves of Earth and that the damage-dealing aspect of them should come first in the progression. Maybe start Sneak Attack at level two and start Gloves of Earth at level one, beginning with the ability to deal damage and improving in damage and adding special abilities as the class progresses. Otherwise, nice job!

Cooperative Bending:
    Yet another awesome idea. You guys are good! My only suggestion would be to scale it back a little bit (perhaps adding 1/3 or ¼ of the class level of assisting benders). Also, I would argue that benders of multiple disciplines can assist each other but only if both mediums are present in the substance they’re trying to bend (mud for water and earth, magma for fire and earth, etc). Also, the benders should be required to know a form of ability that is substantially similar (i.e. Move a Rock and Manipulate).

Finally: In the show, waterbenders bend plants by manipulating the water in the plants’ vascular system.

Nice work everyone. When do you reckon we’ll be ready for a PbP? Know anyone who wants to DM?

Mephibosheth
    The Scroungers Campaign Setting
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew
    A Zombiemageddon Campaign Journal!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'll DM a game

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

..I'm a little stumped here. I can't work out a good 'element' for Fire + Air.

Water + Air is mist/clouds. Fire + Earth is magma/lava. Water + Earth is mud/silt. But... Fire + Air?

(I'll work on harsh roleplaying requirements after I've got the crunch sorted out. I don't want anyone beating me to the punch!)

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

5. - Top - End - #95

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    ..I'm a little stumped here. I can't work out a good 'element' for Fire + Air.

Water + Air is mist/clouds. Fire + Earth is magma/lava. Water + Earth is mud/silt. But... Fire + Air?

(I'll work on harsh roleplaying requirements after I've got the crunch sorted out. I don't want anyone beating me to the punch!)
    SMOG!!!!

A bender who weilds noxious gas and choking embers

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ing View Post
    SMOG!!!!

A bender who weilds noxious gas and choking embers
    Hmmm. Well, I can see smoke... yes, I suppose that works. Thanks!

Also: I was thinking about a sort of 'alignment' system centered around the idea of 'jing' (that is, the three basic actions one can take in battle; attack, flee or observe). Air would obviously be Negative, Fire would be Positive, Earth would be Neutral and Water would be both Positive and Negative.. but I really have no idea how it would work.

7. - Top - End - #97

Problem is that its not so much alignment as it is strategy. I sugest perhaps giving everyone who studies some martial arts access to a free "combat style" feat that would emulate the 4 general strategies. It would differ from teh D&D core a bit but might work.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have an idea for yet another cross-discipline feat:

Thermokinetic Study
    You have studied how benders of your element's opposite are able to manipulate heat, and can apply it to your own bending.
    Prerequistes: Wis 17+ or Knowledge (Arcana) 19 ranks, access to greater fire- or waterbending forms
    Benefits: You may add either Searing Steam(Water) or Heat Leech(Fire) to your Greater Forms known.

Searing Steam: By studying a firebender's ability to draw energy from the sun or another source of heat, you are able to do the same and superheat water into a cloud of steam. This form is similar to a normal Water Blast, but the damage die is increased to d6 and all damage is fire damage. In addition, enemies who take damage must make a Reflex save (DC 10+1/2 Waterbender Level+Wis modifier) or be blinded for 1d6 rounds. This form modifies a standard Water Blast and does not require a seperate action to use. If there is no availible source to draw from (such as the sun, a small fire, an especially hot room, etc.) when this form is used, the bender takes 2d6 cold damage as they use their own body heat to power the form.

Heat Leech: You have studied how waterbenders can draw heat from water to freeze it, and can do the same to your enemies. As a full-round action, you may siphon the body heat from one enemy within 60 ft to whom you have line of sight, dealing 8d8 cold damage and paralyzing the enemy for 1d6 rounds. A successful Fortitude save (DC 10+1/2 Firebender level+Wis modifier) halves the damage, and the target is Slowed as the spell for 1d6 rounds rather than paralyzed. Beating the DC by 10 or more negates both the damage and secondary effects.

What do you think? Too powerful/weak?

While it would probably be best if we come up with stats for some of the creatures of the Avatar world first, and come up with a way to deal with its cosmology, I would be honored to join an Avatar PbP.

Edit: Wow, 5 posts between when I started and when I finished. Drat my typing speed.
    Last edited by X15lm204; 2006-12-11 at 04:07 PM.
    "Your sentence unfortunately happens to be the precise name of a long-forgotten deity with the portfolio 'destroying all life'." - Mewthario

Ah, the dread entity known only as "Okay, what if I set it on fire?" strikes once more. - The_Snark

Like Pokemon Nuzlockes? Come read Into the Dark: A Moemon Eternal v3 Storylocke.
    I also have an AO3 made of Homestucks.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Halfling in the Playground

Beholder

Wow. These are amazing. I have an idea though.

Prestige Classes. E.G.

Magma Benders
    Hurricane (Water and Air) Benders.
    Tempest (Water and Earth) Benders.
    Pyraero (Fire and Air) Benders.

Etc.

I know those names aren't too good, so feel free to change them.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CaelCyndar1993 View Post
    Wow. These are amazing. I have an idea though.

Prestige Classes. E.G.

Magma Benders
    Hurricane (Water and Air) Benders.
    Tempest (Water and Earth) Benders.
    Pyraero (Fire and Air) Benders.

Etc.

I know those names aren't too good, so feel free to change them.
    ...Umm...

Read the entire thread much?

11. - Top - End - #101
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ooh an avatar pbp game? Sounds very interesting. All though i don't know how to play DnD totally.... only played once or twice :D\

Edit: I call master pakku :D
    I wish I had something to put here in this empty space....

www.ultimate-reviews.net Yeah. That's 'bout it....

12. - Top - End - #102

Beholder

...Umm...

Read the entire thread much?
    Acutally, no. I read untill Fire Benders, at which point I assumed he stopped.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Unfortunately, this has become very much a collaborative effort.

14. - Top - End - #104

Beholder

Well, I would love to help if possible. I'm not much with statistics, but I have the creativity of anti-Miko.

15. - Top - End - #105

Proper term would be bizzaro Miko ;)

Any ideas on animals who are natural benders? Bisons, Dragons, Badgermoles, Unagi's, Serpents?

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

I think only badgermoles and flying/sky bison were ever explicitely stated to be natural benders, although dragons would make sense...

Waterbending, unlike Air and Earth, was inspired by the moon and not by an animal, though, so I doubt there would be many (if any) naturally-occuring Waterbenders other than humans.

17. - Top - End - #107

I think only badgermoles and flying/sky bison were ever explicitely stated to be natural benders, although dragons would make sense...

Waterbending, unlike Air and Earth, was inspired by the moon and not by an animal, though, so I doubt there would be many (if any) naturally-occuring Waterbenders other than humans.
    Earth Benders learned their art from observing the Badgermoles that have been shown to naturally bend to create and warp their tunnel caves. Similar things with SkyBisons who are naturally able to bend

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Earth Benders learned their art from observing the Badgermoles that have been shown to naturally bend to create and warp their tunnel caves. Similar things with SkyBisons who are naturally able to bend
    I'm sure that's what I said just now.

19. - Top - End - #109

I'm sure that's what I said just now.
    Sorry missread

Dragons can be infered to firebend since they breath fire just as Unagi can be infered to water bend since it has an unusual power hose water breathing thing going for it.

Food for thought, should Animal Companion be a class feature for Avatar characters?

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

Food for thought, should Animal Companion be a class feature for Avatar characters?
    Absolutely it should, since the show has repeatedly said, especially in Book I, that each Avatar has a spirit guide appropriate to their element. We've already seen Appa and Roku's dragon...I wonder what Kyoshi's spirit guide was...
    "Your sentence unfortunately happens to be the precise name of a long-forgotten deity with the portfolio 'destroying all life'." - Mewthario

Ah, the dread entity known only as "Okay, what if I set it on fire?" strikes once more. - The_Snark

Like Pokemon Nuzlockes? Come read Into the Dark: A Moemon Eternal v3 Storylocke.
    I also have an AO3 made of Homestucks.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry missread

Dragons can be infered to firebend since they breath fire just as Unagi can be infered to water bend since it has an unusual power hose water breathing thing going for it.

It really should be a feature of the Airbender class, considering they all get a flying bison.

22. - Top - End - #112

Beholder

Master of the Hurricane

Requirements: To become a Master of the Hurricane, a character must fulfill all of the following criteria:
    Skills: Concentration 8 ranks, Swim 8 ranks
    Class abilities: Air Blast, Manipulate

Class Skills: The following are the class skills of the Master of the Hurricane: Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Escape Artist, Heal, Jump, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (History), Knowledge (Religion), Listen, Perform, Profession, Ride, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival, Swim, Use Rope

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |Hurricane Bending, Vortex

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |Storm Slam 1d8

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |Lesser Hurricane Form

4th|
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Cycling Lungs, Storm Slam 2d8

5th|
    +5
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Eye Implosion

6th|
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |Lesser Hurricane Form, Storm Slam 3d8

7th|
    +7
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |Great Vortex

8th|
    +8
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |Storm Slam 4d8

9th|
    +9
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |Moderate Hurricane Form

10th|
    +10
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |Hurricane's Essence, Storm Slam 5d8[/table]

Hurricanebending: A Master of the Hurricane adds his levels in Air Bender, Water Bender, and Master of the Hurricane together to determine the effectiveness of his bending forms and the power of his Air Blast and Water Blast abilities.

(Not quite done yet, but I gotta take a break.)
    Last edited by CaelCyndar1993; 2006-12-13 at 10:27 AM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Master of the Hurricane

Requirements: To become a Master of the Hurricane, a character must fulfill all of the following criteria:
    Skills: Concentration 8 ranks, Swim 8 ranks
    Class abilities: Air Blast, Manipulate

Class Skills: The following are the class skills of the Master of the Hurricane: Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Escape Artist, Heal, Jump, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (History), Knowledge (Religion), Listen, Perform, Profession, Ride, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival, Swim, Use Rope

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |Hurricane Bending, Vortex

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |Storm Slam 1d8

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |Lesser Hurricane Form

4th|
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Cycling Lungs, Storm Slam 2d8

5th|
    +5
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Eye Implosion

6th|
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |Lesser Hurricane Form, Storm Slam 3d8

7th|
    +7
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |Great Vortex

8th|
    +8
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |Storm Slam 4d8

9th|
    +9
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |Moderate Hurricane Form

10th|
    +10
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |Hurricane's Essence, Storm Slam 5d8[/table]

Hurricanebending: A Magma Disicple adds his levels in Air Bender, Water Bender, and Master of the Hurricane together to determine the effectiveness of his bending forms and the power of his Air Blast and Water Blast abilities.

(Not quite done yet, but I gotta take a break.)
    Two points.

First, I've already done this.

Second, hurricanes have nothing to do with water.

24. - Top - End - #114

Zombie

What about when a Waterbender and Earthbender team up to bend mud?
    Well, either can bend mud, as we realize. Katara holds back the mud, and Toph helps her later. Both are able to bend the mud.
    Ceika is amazing, because she made my Yuna avie. Yay Ceika!

25. - Top - End - #115

Beholder

Two points.

First, I've already done this.

Second, hurricanes have nothing to do with water.
    I thought you did magma.

Oh, and hurricanes have everything to do with water.

Have you ever heard of a hurricane that started on dry land?

Do you even know what a hurricane is?
    It's basically a tornado that's been formed out at sea.

Someone needs to get Miko's stick out of your ass.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

It seemed to be more a general air nomad thing than a strictly avatar thing, though, and plenty of people had animal companions. I thought Aang's spirit guide was that panda thing, and appa was just his friend. Perhaps a feat would do better.

Animal Bond: You've attracted an animal friend that serves as your companion and guardian.
    Benifit: You may attract an animal companion. This is in every way identical to the druid Animal Companion ability, except for the following exceptions: You automatically gain your first companion when you take the fest; it does not recieve the share spells special ability; and if the companion is killed, left behind, or is otherwise unable to continue helping you then you may never attract a new one, except by taking this feat again. Also, the maximum HD animal you may attract is handled slightly differently. For the purposes of determining the bonuses the animal recieves based on your character level, and for the maximum HD animal you may have, you may add your charisma modifier to your level. (For example, a first level character with a charisma of fifteen could pick an animal from the druid's first level animal list (or some equivilent animal), and it would get 2 bonus HD, +2 natural armor, +1 to str and dex, 2 bonus tricks, and evasion.
    Special: You may take this feat only once, unless your animal companion is killed, sent away, or is otherwise permenantly unable to serve, in which case you may take this feat again to attract another companion.

This is a (relatively) minor point, but the avatar "cross animals" (i.e. platypus bears, seal penguins, moose lions, etc.) should have the type [animal] and not the type [magical beast]. In the context of the avatar world these are the natural, normal animals, and a bear was considered to be fantastic.
    Last edited by averagejoe; 2006-12-11 at 06:49 PM.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

I thought you did magma.

Oh, and hurricanes have everything to do with water.

Have you ever heard of a hurricane that started on dry land?

Do you even know what a hurricane is?
    It's basically a tornado that's been formed out at sea.

Someone needs to get Miko's stick out of your ass.
    What? Hurricanes are not tornados. The only similarity is that they're both cyclonic wind storms.

A hurricane is formed from the heat of evaporating water, yes, but a hurricane is very much an air-related phenomenon.

And yes, I did do magma. If you'd bothered to read the thread properly, you'd also see I did "mist". And I'm currently working on "mud".

28. - Top - End - #118

It really should be a feature of the Airbender class, considering they all get a flying bison.

Avatar Rhoku was shown to have had a Dragon companion in life...though no other avatars are shown having or not having one.

and the Panda thing was not a strict spirit guide...just a spirit Aang met when it went beserk and tried to destroy a villiage that had defiled its forest

29. - Top - End - #119
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I've been thinking about the fire+air thing. Soot has been suggested, but soot seems more like earth+air, because it's particles. The product of fire, yes, but not fire. It's the earthbenders who bent the coal, after all.

All the other ones you've used are what you get when you mix the two elements. Mix water and dirt and you get mud, heat rock and you get magma, etc. Then I thought about what happens when you mix air and fire. What happens? The air is consumed and the fire dies. To me this means that fire and air would be void (unless you want a carbon dioxide bender, which would be wierd.) Not really putting my foot down on this, just thinking out loud.

edit: Yeah, I know about the panda thing's story, it's just the only thing that's ever guided Aang in the spirit world (the season 1 finale). Appa's never had anything to do with Aang going into the spirit world, or anything else related to creepy avatar stuff.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Smoke! Smoke I think would be perfect. Choke people, conceal yourself, it's all good.
    "I reject your reality, and subsitute my own" -Adam Savage