New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius XV: The Weasel, the Spark, and the Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    It is possible Tweedle was always the super fighter and murderous rounder he is now, and the small singing bears (I WANNA SEE THEM SO BAD!!) were subterfuge. He wanted to research biological construction; he knew if he started by building Sparkhounds right off, the Family and/or the Knights of Jove would notice and that might mark him for early 'weeding'; so he built bears. Tweedle may not be much for intrigue but he's obviously not stupid. Except with regard to Agatha.

(Most Sparks seem to specialize in certain fields. Agatha in mechanics and 'bot tech, or Gil in biology, for instance. Tweedle also seems to be a biological Spark; so far he's messed with Agatha's body chemistry and built creatures.

I wonder if his superhuman fighting ability is natural or if he enhanced himself?)
    Well, ridiculous feats of strength do seem the norm in this world, so it's too soon to judge one way or another if he's got a little something extra in the engine.

I disagree with the idea that he can control his spark to the point of making things he's not interested in for moral reasons, but I accept it's a possible explanation. Just not one that I like.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Have we seen a full Spark who hasn't demonstrated superhuman strength in the Madness Place? Tweedle, Gil, Agatha...
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2013-06-27 at 06:29 PM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Have we seen a full Spark who hasn't demonstrated superhuman strength in the Madness Place? Tweedle, Gil, Agatha...
    I think that that's fanon (I remember fans going crazy with glee when Agatha lifted up a particularly large rock at one point.)

As far as I can recall, nothing in the comic has indicated that Sparks are any different from normal humans beyond their mentality (and a few related tropes, like making it easy to recruit minions and strong personality.) I think the feats of strength we see Sparks manage while in the madness place is just normal comic-exaggeration for someone who is really angry -- I'm pretty certain that if eg. Zeetha or any other decently-fit character got angry, we'd see them do comparable things.

(Also, it's heavily implied that Gil was modified somehow by his father, wasn't it? He was noted as healing faster than he should. And Momma Gilka did something to him, too.)
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2013-06-27 at 06:34 PM.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    I would not say that Gil specializes in biology. While he is good at it, he has done a lot of high level purely mechanical stuff. The Fencing Clank, the Flyer and his Lightning Stick for instance.
    Careful consideration shows you are quite correct. Who can forget the Falling Machine, after all? Gil seems to be a well rounded Spark. And yet, he built Zoing when he was 8. He put Punch and Judy back together; and apparently improved them in the process. And he was the one who knew how to set up the Si Vales Valeo Rolling Resurrection Chain, AND about the secondary process. He's VERY good at biology.

Which is good because Agatha admits she sucks at it.

Tweedle's apparently got superhuman strength all the time, though.

Tarvek was able to beat Zola, who took the worst Higgs could dish out, to a pulp and was throttling her when Gil interrupted. But I'm not sure that was the madness place so much as unholy rage at her injuring and trying to kill Agatha. In fact I'd note BOTH Gil and Tarvek seem to reach otherwise unattainable levels of physical power when Agatha's threatened.

Also, Gil's cheating. He took a point blank shot to the chest from Dr. Merlot and was only bruised. Klaus obviously enhanced him just as the Mongfishes enhanced Tarvek.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Careful consideration shows you are quite correct. Who can forget the Falling Machine, after all? Gil seems to be a well rounded Spark. And yet, he built Zoing when he was 8. He put Punch and Judy back together; and apparently improved them in the process. And he was the one who knew how to set up the Si Vales Valeo Rolling Resurrection Chain, AND about the secondary process. He's VERY good at biology.

Which is good because Agatha admits she sucks at it.
    He also built the best Death Ray in the series. Agatha might have improved on his design, but he built the prototype, she just tacked a few new things on top.

From the wiki, we have Klaus:

Every spark has a recognizable, somewhat hereditary style. Klaus's spark is more abstract than most: He has the gift of analysis and synthesis, which allows him to identify Sparks simply from their creations, and on a more pragmatic level, allows him to match up personnel with their most appropriate and fulfilling job functions. His preferred application of his ability is the study of the Spark itself, which he does, in part, through brain coring.
    And of course, Gilgamesh:

When introduced, his creations are ambitious in concept, but almost all have been deployed while still in the prototype stage. Only his music box functioned without fault. Once inspired, however, his talent proved truly outstanding; he single-handedly destroyed an entire army of giant war clanks. Like his father, his Spark is seemingly all-encompassing; though his breakthrough creation was a construct, he is a talented electrical and mechanical engineer, and when we first meet him he is fondly working on the only heavier-than-air flying machine seen in the series. Repeating elements in his sparky style include lightning and insects
    Not sure how canon the wiki is, but that seems all correct from what I remember of the series.

Tweedle's apparently got superhuman strength all the time, though.

Tarvek was able to beat Zola, who took the worst Higgs could dish out, to a pulp and was throttling her when Gil interrupted. But I'm not sure that was the madness place so much as unholy rage at her injuring and trying to kill Agatha. In fact I'd note BOTH Gil and Tarvek seem to reach otherwise unattainable levels of physical power when Agatha's threatened.

Also, Gil's cheating. He took a point blank shot to the chest from Dr. Merlot and was only bruised. Klaus obviously enhanced him just as the Mongfishes enhanced Tarvek.
    Which is part of the question, isn't it? Of course, how much is the enhancing cheating, that's the question. I mean, perhaps we begin with some secret Skifandarian warrior techniques or Smoke Knight Skills (whichever is applicable), continue with plenty of hardcore training, then utilize either stolen Jaegar secrets or highly secretive chemical therapy (whichever is applicable). Where does one end and the other begin?

Looking at this scientifically, we haven't got quite enough data. We've seen plenty of Sparks exhibit variations of superhuman strength, but just because there is a correlation it doesn't mean the two are related, and by no means all of them. Now it's quite possible that Sparks get super-strength by experimenting on themselves, however that's all speculation. Gil is implied to be a super-soldier, however if he is and Tavek can equal him through training (even semi-mystical kung-fu training), then making a super-soldier in the first place is a waste of effort.

We see exhibit abilities that certainly seem super-human all the time, but that might just be a reflection that he is a hero, rather than he's a spark. Klaus is a construct. The list goes on.

Furthermore, we've seen people perform super-human feats without the Spark. Zeetha is a fine example, of course, but Bangladesh, Violetta, Old Man Death, not to mention Sanaa and Zola and… anyway, there's a long list. So it's difficult to determine with any accuracy what normal human capabilities are in this comic. I mean, it's quite possible that most of said examples are superhuman themselves. Zeetha is the daughter of at least one astronomically powerful Spark who is implied to have used his own child as a guinea pig (by which I mean that Gil is both adorable, and was used for the purposes of science). Bangladesh seems to be human, but who can say for sure. Sanaa is the sister of a guy who not only exhibits super-human strength, but is a spark, and so it's quite possible that she's not entirely normal herself. And Zola… well, given the rate she churns out revelations, she could be a construct for all we know. At the very least, the drugs were contributory.

Now what we haven't seen is a spark failing to exhibit strength while in the madness place. And while that's hardly evidence, until we do it'll be hard to say for sure one way or another. Even if it is, we don't know if it is something brought on by the strength of the spark, or some other factor we haven't thought of yet.
    Last edited by Cracklord; 2013-06-27 at 08:59 PM.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic. I wonder how you pronounce "Xerxsephnia?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

It's pronounced to rhyme with onomatopoeia, of course.

…I wonder how many he's killed so far. And what it is about Xerxsephina that made him slip out of the Madness Place.
    Last edited by Cracklord; 2013-06-28 at 12:58 AM.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Probably just the realization of a suspect he hadn't considered - note that he says 'He' to Julius at the beginning, the "man at the top' maybe Tweedle never bothered to consider that it might be his sister/aunt/mother/etc. running the rebellion. I doubt a secret society dedicated to restoring the storm King is 100% egalitarian in terms of its leaders.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2013-06-28 at 01:45 AM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    I'm going by the pronounciation "zerx-sef-nee-a"
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    I'm going by the pronounciation "zerx-sef-nee-a"
    Yeah, I'd go with that too, although my brain keeps trying to twist it into zerx-sef-ee-na despite it not matching the spelling!

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Probably just the realization of a suspect he hadn't considered - note that he says 'He' to Julius at the beginning, the "man at the top' maybe Tweedle never bothered to consider that it might be his sister/aunt/mother/etc. running the rebellion. I doubt a secret society dedicated to restoring the storm King is 100% egalitarian in terms of its leaders.
    I'd expect that to be the case, yes. For one, knight is a masculine title, so one would associate an order of them more with a fraternity then a sonority. For another, well none of the Order look particularly feminine.

Of course, everyone expected the new Heterodyne to be a boy, remember, so perhaps they were grooming some other options in case the wrong heir showed up. On the other hand, given their connection to the Mongfish clan, one would anticipate them to be in the know. They've certainly appeared to be in most cases.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

Oh Lord, we're about to get another incandescent Foglio female. I would assume this one will be red-haired. And the 'he' Tweedle has been searching for.

I also expect her to win the upcoming power struggle...

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Carefully.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cracklord View Post
    I'd expect that to be the case, yes. For one, knight is a masculine title, so one would associate an order of them more with a fraternity then a sonority.
    Well, the Smoke Knights certainly aren't all guys.
    If you're a Brandon Sanderson fan (or you want to start being one), check out The Sanderlanche podcast!

14. - Top - End - #164
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by datalaughing View Post
    Well, the Smoke Knights certainly aren't all guys.
    That's quite obvious considering Violetta.
    Guess what spell I cast before posting this message.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh Lord, we're about to get another incandescent Foglio female. I would assume this one will be red-haired. And the 'he' Tweedle has been searching for.
    I have always believed that the story was driven by what was fun to draw.

That said, I hope Xerxsephnia is hot ...I mean a "smoking" knight...
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    I have always believed that the story was driven by what was fun to draw.

Like Her Undying Majesty? Every time a link gets posted to that sketch of Albia amidst flames and wearing not much at all, the response from those who haven't seen it before is "THAT'S the Queen of England?????????"

I wonder when we're going to meet her...
    Last edited by eee; 2013-06-28 at 08:51 PM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

…Right.

Well, I guess Andronicus Valois was a lot more egalitarian then the average supreme executive autocrat.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    Well that goes without saying.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

Like Her Undying Majesty? Every time a link gets posted to that sketch of Albia amidst flames and wearing not much at all, the response from those who haven't seen it before is "THAT'S the Queen of England?????????"

I wonder when we're going to meet her...
    As I haven't seen this sketch, link please?
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

Here it is.

No need to hope, really. S'not like there are any females in GG on the colder side of smoking.
    Truth resists simplicity.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
    Here it is.

No need to hope, really. S'not like there are any females in GG on the colder side of smoking.
    I dunno, one of those fake jaeger girls was kinda short and pudgy. She wasnt UGLY, but she certainly didnt match up with most of the other ladies in the series.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

Here it is.

Nice. Now I see why the islands haven't sunk completely. She's boiling it away. And Gil's threat is made funnier then. :)
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Orc in the Playground

Here it is.

Having never seen that before I'll have to go with:

THAT'S the Queen of England????????
    As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.

Blackwing: I prefer to think of myself a super-advanced flying stealth dinosaur.

Forum Explorer: Reading or watching Cupcakes is like being shot. We honor your suffering but nobody wants it to happen.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zigg'rrauglurr View Post
    Having never seen that before I'll have to go with:

THAT'S the Queen of England????????
    Yes. Not at all a Victoria, or an Elizabeth. Even an Elizabeth I.

Albia's a character that's gotten a LOT of foreshadowing. We know she's apparently ruled England for a LONG, LONG time; that to go against her merest whim is literally unthinkable; and while she's not actively at war with Klaus her agents see nothing wrong with spying on him and disrupting things if possible. And, to judge from Wooster's comments, she may be capable of dealing with the Other should such re-appear. Now that Agatha's out of Mechanicsburg we may wind up in England sooner or later; and when we do I imagine we'll meet Albia in the flesh.

Assuming she actually has flesh and isn't something TRULY bizarre...

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

Assuming she actually has flesh and isn't something TRULY bizarre...
    I can see plenty of flesh from where I'm sitting
    Truth resists simplicity.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

And, to judge from Wooster's comments, she may be capable of dealing with the Other should such re-appear.
    When The Other was controling Agatha, she seemed very HAPPY at the idea of going to England. I don't see that as being a good thing in any way.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    When The Other was controling Agatha, she seemed very HAPPY at the idea of going to England. I don't see that as being a good thing in any way.
    She was happy to go to England because it was an excuse not to go to Mechanicsburg.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Say what you like about the von Blitzengaard's, but

Spoiler
    Show
    they really know how to dress. Though she is a lot more adorable then I anticipated with a name like that. To me a name like Xerxsephnia suggests a ponderous, stately sort of character, which she certainly doesn't seem to be.

Still, how's that for a twist? Two loving siblings who seem genuinely fond of each other, at least on first impression. Isn't that interesting…
    Last edited by Cracklord; 2013-07-01 at 02:46 AM.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cracklord View Post
    Say what you like about the von Blitzengaard's, but

Spoiler
    Show
    they really know how to dress. Though she is a lot more adorable then I anticipated with a name like that. To me a name like Xerxsephnia suggests a ponderous, stately sort of character, which she certainly doesn't seem to be.

Still, how's that for a twist? Two loving siblings who seem genuinely fond of each other, at least on first impression. Isn't that interesting…
    Spoiler
    Show
    I was not expecting that reaction based off of Martellus's face on the last page. He really looked like Xerxsephina was someone he was surprised and not particularly pleased to see and yet apparently they're favorite siblings?

I'm not sure if I'm missing something in his expression or the Foglios have abused their Friday Cliffhanger Privileges.

It is a cute character design though. Subdued for Foglio, I'd say
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    If i had to guess It seems like Seffie is the one who's currently in charge of the knights of Jove, but since she's a female she's not actually allowed to claim the title of "Storm King"; hence why the title is vacant. Most likely because of the position she put herself into, none of the various potential heirs can claim the title without her approval (or without killing her). Knowing how much she favors Tweedle they wanted to get rid of him before she found out he had returned so that they might all still have a shot at the title.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Bugbear in the Playground

This is a family of backstabbers Cousins, uncles, etc kill each other. Their allies the Mongfish sisters are plotting against each other.

So while sister could be ally she also could still be head enemy. Fridays update, Tweedle might not be sure what to expect. She plays friend, he needs others who want to keep him alive, so he may still be in distrust but not profitable to show it mode in case she is really ally.
    Last edited by multilis; 2013-07-01 at 06:56 AM.