New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Removing Ability Score Penalties

Is there a way to remove penalties to ability scores due to a spell effect WITHOUT ending the effect of the spell? For example, Enlarge Person and Reduce Person grant a +2 to a stat but a -2 to another. Is there a way to remove the -2 without ending the spell and getting rid of that +2, as well as the size difference?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Removing Ability Score Penalties

Cat's Grace?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Devil

Without a bonus to oppose the malus, no. Excluding certain special abilities like no longer accruing aging penalties etc.

4. - Top - End - #4

MindFlayer

Really, there's no spell that was lazily worded to remove specifically a penalty rather than the effect? Like how Lesser Restoration says "dispels any magical effects reducing one of the subject's ability scores," there's nothing which is close to that but worded along the lines of "removes any ability score reduction a creature may be suffering"?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I guess you could negate it by taking two levels of Soulborn. But that only works if you're chaotic evil and the penalty is to Strength.

6. - Top - End - #6

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Well, I guess you could negate it by taking two levels of Soulborn. But that only works if you're chaotic evil and the penalty is to Strength.
    ...Am I actually considering Soulborn for a build? SOULBORN? The most useless class this side of Truenamer? And yet this is exactly what I was hoping for!!

Jeez. I feel unclean.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nettlekid View Post
    Is there a way to remove penalties to ability scores due to a spell effect WITHOUT ending the effect of the spell? For example, Enlarge Person and Reduce Person grant a +2 to a stat but a -2 to another. Is there a way to remove the -2 without ending the spell and getting rid of that +2, as well as the size difference?
    One alternative is creating a custom spell, say, Nettlekids Nimble Growth, a level 2 spell that acts like enlarge peron, but without the dex penalty.
    Longtime lurker, Infrequent poster.

Avalanche in Hell of the Improbability Drive Fan Club

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nettlekid View Post
    ...Am I actually considering Soulborn for a build? SOULBORN? The most useless class this side of Truenamer? And yet this is exactly what I was hoping for!!

Jeez. I feel unclean.
    It's actually one of the only reasons to take the class, really. The ability to completely ignore penalties to Strength is huge. Look at what it does for Tibbits. Yes, completely ignore the -8 penalty to Strength from turning into an ittybittykitty.

Rest of the class, not so hot.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

9. - Top - End - #9

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    It's actually one of the only reasons to take the class, really. The ability to completely ignore penalties to Strength is huge. Look at what it does for Tibbits. Yes, completely ignore the -8 penalty to Strength from turning into an ittybittykitty.

Rest of the class, not so hot.
    BUFFDEMONKITTY. Jeez, I never really looked over any of that class because it was like a worse-than-Monk Monk whose gimmick, Soulmelds, comes online beyond the exit point for PrCs. But now I want to look over anything that deals with Strength decreases as a downside and evaluate it if I dip two levels of Soulborn. Minute Form comes to mind. Someone who drenches himself in Strength poison, maybe Trouserfang Dwarf style. How might that play into cases where you're sacrificing Strength for something, like in the case of Corrupt spells or Body Fuel? I expect that wouldn't work.

Supernatural fangirls will go wild for the pure black eyes, too.

I was hoping to abuse the whole Half-Giant Return to Nature combo to be Fine-sized, and didn't want to lose my Strength. I want to make the Nac Mac Feegle from Discworld, and they need to be strong enough to lift sheep and people while being very small indeed.