New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default No love for Neutral alignments in OOTS

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems that there is a lack of main characters with strong neutral alignments in OOTS, excepting V.

Where are the neutral good, lawful neutral, neutral evil and chaotic neutral recurrent characters?

I like how Rich develops the alignment system and that's why I always wanted to know what a neutral good character would look like in OOTS, as I think it's one of the most interesting alignments to develop in a character, specially if he/she is intelligent.

For the record, I like the extra fluff for alignments from this web http://easydamus.com/alignment.html
    Last edited by Blas_de_Lezo; 2013-07-21 at 09:49 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: No love for Neutral alignments in OOTS

Lots of people argue that Miko was LN by the end, but that's not much of a role model, I'll grant. Tsukiko seemed NE, and from Start of Darkness we had Lirian, who was NG. Admittedly, if she had been even a little less of a bleeding heart then Redcloak's crusade would have been over early, but what are you gonna do.

Oh, and some argue that Haley was more CN than CG near the beginning. Belkar nearly talked her into slave trading, you'll recall, and that was the point in the comic where character development was really starting to matter, so it's of some relevance.

Oh, I almost forgot, but Leeky Windstaff was NE, as well. All of the Neutral alignments have been done at some point, albeit possibly not to the degree you might like.

3. - Top - End - #3

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TRH View Post
    Lots of people argue that Miko was LN by the end, but that's not much of a role model, I'll grant. Tsukiko seemed NE, and from Start of Darkness we had Lirian, who was NG. Admittedly, if she had been even a little less of a bleeding heart then Redcloak's crusade would have been over early, but what are you gonna do.

Oh, and some argue that Haley was more CN than CG near the beginning. Belkar nearly talked her into slave trading, you'll recall, and that was the point in the comic where character development was really starting to matter, so it's of some relevance.

Oh, I almost forgot, but Leeky Windstaff was NE, as well. All of the Neutral alignments have been done at some point, albeit possibly not to the degree you might like.
    Yeah, but they are not mostly recurring characters anyway...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think that the MitD is true neutral...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Nale tends to come across as textbook Neutral Evil, despite his claim of being Lawful early in the comic. My personal guess is that he started as just barely Lawful like Roy, but that was mostly as a result of training under his father most of his life, and as he spent more time away from home (plus Sabine's influence) he became more dedicated to pure Evil, without regards to Law or Chaos.

Note that I would personally peg Roy as Neutral Good (with Lawful tendencies), so maybe Nale is Lawful enough for Rich to consider him LE.
    Last edited by Gift Jeraff; 2013-07-21 at 11:13 AM.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

What about Therkla? She was pretty strongly Lawful Neutral; I don't have Don't Split the Party, but I think the Giant even mentioned as much in a commentary.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thokk_Smash View Post
    What about Therkla? She was pretty strongly Lawful Neutral; I don't have Don't Split the Party, but I think the Giant even mentioned as much in a commentary.
    Yeah, he refers to her as a spokesperson for Neutral, with regards to the Good-Evil axis.
    Last edited by Gift Jeraff; 2013-07-21 at 11:54 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post

Note that I would personally peg Roy as Neutral Good (with Lawful tendencies), so maybe Nale is Lawful enough for Rich to consider him LE.
    I think the Giant hinted playfully in a forum post that Nale is not, in fact, Lawful Evil.
    Order of the Stick Avatar done by the talented Kymme.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    The Half-Hamster template gives me advantageous size and ability score bonuses, and combos well with my inherited Elderberry Radiance (Ex). Which is more than I can say for you, you class-dipping CL-losing Evoker!
    I was eating THOSE BEANS!!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Enor and Gannji are both True Neutral, too, and while hardly "main" characters, they had quite a large stint in the comic and were both pretty good characters (in my opinion).
    >>softly open our mouths in the cold

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Well for starters, most of the characters are heroes or villians, whcih means a lot of good and evil alignments, V being the exception.

Belkar and Thog (if Thog is not-dead) both have the potential to be come neutral characters. The Thieves Guild is most likely filled with chaotic neutral characters.

I think neutral (in case of good vs. evil) are rare because that's the alignment most normal people have, and this comic isn't about the normal people, it's about the adventurers and villains. And the only major NPC faction they meet are all paladins, so that's not balancing it out either.
    New to D&D but already too much into it.

Imagining a Fallout-inspired Low-Tech Sci-Fi homebrew - working title "Hyphens Are Your Friend".

11. - Top - End - #11

DwarfBarbarianGuy

V's true nutral and I suspect that, in the balance, Eugene is neutral good and Haley is something-neutral, too.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...6#post15476516

I know I'm stealing this from someone else. But it's SO FUNNY

Zweisteine quoting Razanir:

"I am a human sixtyfourthling! Fear my minimal halfling ancestry!"

Bagnold could be one sixty-fourth halfling.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

One post which asserts both that Eugene Greenhilt is good and that Haley is not. Poor Haley.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thokk_Smash View Post
    Didn't Therkla murder someone just, so she could be her class valedictorian. That screams evil alignment. (To say nothing of her then happily serving as the personal assassin for a lawful evil aristocrat who was in league with fiends.) Maybe at the very end she switched over to a neutral alignment but for most of her life she seemed very Lawful Evil.

14. - Top - End - #14

Neutrality = no drama. No complex motivations, no exploration of what it means, and neutrality is hardly something that people have a strong dedication to. It would be a one-off joke, most likely, like when one of the guys I played D&D with would use "For neutral!" as his battle-cry. Look at Julia Greenhilt: "I'm True Neutral. I swing both ways." Funny, yes, but the underlying message is: I'm just a pragmatist and kind of self-centered.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by F.Harr View Post
    V's true neutral and I suspect that, in the balance, Eugene is neutral good and Haley is something-neutral, too.
    He's waiting to get in the Lawful Good afterlife, so I doubt it.

16. - Top - End - #16

MindFlayer

Well, Belkar is Chaotic Neutral, and he's a major character!

*ducks*

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sengmeng View Post
    Neutrality = no drama. No complex motivations, no exploration of what it means, and neutrality is hardly something that people have a strong dedication to. It would be a one-off joke, most likely, like when one of the guys I played D&D with would use "For neutral!" as his battle-cry. Look at Julia Greenhilt: "I'm True Neutral. I swing both ways." Funny, yes, but the underlying message is: I'm just a pragmatist and kind of self-centered.
    That is not what True Neutral means at all. It means that

a) a creature is incapable of making ethical and moral judgments (Animals, many Magical Beasts, some Aberrations)

b) a character chooses not to get involved in the affairs of others, focusing on herself, her family, her neighbors; she says "what's mine is mine, what's yours is yours, don't bother me or ask me for help and I won't bother you or ask you for help

c) a character, such as Mordenkainen, is actively seeking to maintain a balance of power between Law and Chaos and between Good and Evil to prevent any one side from becoming too dominant. When Iuz the Old or Vecna threaten to conquer the Flanaess or destroy millions of lives, Mordenkainen rallies the Circle of Eight to the aid of the forces of Good. Once Vecna or Iuz are on the ropes, Mordenkainen will allow the forces of Evil to escape, because he fears that an attempt to destroy them will either undermine the fabric of reality or will lead Good to become complacent and unable to meet the next threat from Chaos or Evil. Despite his best efforts to explain this philosophy, Mordenkainen has lost the friendship of Tenser and Bigby as a result of following this philosophy dogmatically. Mordenkainen is not interested in riches, not anymore; he earned more in a single dungeon crawl into Castle Greyhawk decades ago than most adventurers earn in a lifetime nowadays. (Stupid wealth by level guidelines for 3.X!) He is willing to sacrifice his friendships with Bigby and Tenser, to pursue an agenda promoting Neutrality, in the hopes that all of Oerth will be better in the long run.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Or it might just mean that the character's good and evil traits and actions balance out.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

19. - Top - End - #19

BlueWizardGirl

Main heroes are typically likely to be Good-aligned, otherwise they wouldn't be going through so much to save the world; having the team have a Neutral member like V (and grappling with the issues of an Evil member like Belkar) is an interesting addition in itself. Likewise, villains are generally going to be Evil, otherwise why would the heroes oppose them? (It's different in a story where you just have protagonists and antagonists, not 'heroes' or 'villains', but OotS isn't that kind of story.)

V is (or was) True Neutral, Girard was probably Chaotic Neutral (his family did a lot of bad stuff in the course of protecting the gate, but the fact that they were protecting it and thus giving up normal lives to safeguard reality makes them at least Neutral), Enor and Gannji were True Neutral, I'd expect the bandits from Book 2 were some flavour of Neutral; so I'd saw we've had a decent number of neutral-aligned characters on the good-evil axis.

The observation that most Good and Evil characters are either Lawful or Chaotic is a good one; I suppose it's easier and more interesting to write characters that lean to one side or the other to provide more contrast between members of the same team (e.g., Elan and Roy; Redcloak and Xykon).

EDIT: Also, regarding the post two posts above this discussing Neutrality: the second type doesn't really provide much for a character to do in a comic, since they just want to be left alone and stay out of things, but we do have examples in Enor and Gannji. The balance-preserving kind always seems weird to me - Good and Evil are two arbitrary extremes. Good is, well, good, and Evil is evil. Why should their be a balance between people who want to save, preserve, and improve life, and people who want to kill everyone they dislike, or just everyone it amuses them to kill? The Good afterlives are idyllic, the Evil ones are horrific. I can understand the idea of wanting a reasonable "balance" between Law and Chaos, but why would someone who wasn't evil deliberately want more Evil (ie: more people being murdered and tortured) in the world?
    Last edited by LadyEowyn; 2013-07-21 at 02:58 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by F.Harr View Post
    V's true nutral and I suspect that, in the balance, Eugene is neutral good and Haley is something-neutral, too.
    Eugene's rudeness, foul language and absentee parenting aside, nothing Eugene has done indicates he isn't Lawful Good. I keep repeating over and over, but no one listens to me: a Character's personality and a Character's Alignment are two different things. That's how Miko could be arrogant, condescending and rude, and still be a Paladin, while Elan can be cheerful, friendly and honest, and still be Chaotic Good. Tarquin can love Elan dearly, and still be a Lawful Evil tyrant, and Belkar can love Mr. Scruffy and still be a Chaotic Evil psychopath when it comes to Humans and Kobolds.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Leorik View Post
    Eugene's rudeness, foul language and absentee parenting aside, nothing Eugene has done indicates he isn't Lawful Good. I keep repeating over and over, but no one listens to me: a Character's personality and a Character's Alignment are two different things. That's how Miko could be arrogant, condescending and rude, and still be a Paladin, while Elan can be cheerful, friendly and honest, and still be Chaotic Good. Tarquin can love Elan dearly, and still be a Lawful Evil tyrant, and Belkar can love Mr. Scruffy and still be a Chaotic Evil psychopath when it comes to Humans and Kobolds.
    This is very well put. The contrast between Eugene's being a jerk and his LG-ness is one of my favorite things about the character. (I do think that the "absentee parenting" which you mention would push him a bit away from LG -- leaving your wife with all the child-rearing duties is the sort of non-malevolent selfishness that strikes me as very neutral. Though I agree that he's probably LG overall.)

My favorite kind of TN has always been a simple one -- not principled and self-sacrificing enough to be good, not malevolent or unprincipled enough to be evil. Similar deal with respect to law/chaos. That's it. Such a character can still have tons of motivations that lead to great drama -- they can fall in love, they can protect their families, they can try to get rich, they can try to save the world, whatever. They just aren't as likely to be as principled or as unprincipled about it as the white or black hats.
    Last edited by Bird; 2013-07-21 at 03:17 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ORione View Post
    He's waiting to get in the Lawful Good afterlife, so I doubt it.
    Well, he's waiting for AN afterlife. And I think it's a great point Sir Leorik makes. But if Roy keeps trying, Eugene quit trying a long time ago. Even when the world is at stake, he cares more about his and his issues than the mission. I accept that he's good in that he decided that his family should come before the oath and that he has some passing regret for not being an attentive father to Roy. But although his inability to deal with his family reasonably can't really be layed at the feet of his alignment, the fact that when he started something, he lost focus on it tends to not-very-lawfulness.

But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    This is very well put. The contrast between Eugene's being a jerk and his LG-ness is one of my favorite things about the character. (I do think that the "absentee parenting" which you mention would push him a bit away from LG -- leaving your wife with all the child-rearing duties is the sort of non-malevolent selfishness that strikes me as very neutral. Though I agree that he's probably LG overall.)

My favorite kind of TN has always been a simple one -- not principled and self-sacrificing enough to be good, not malevolent or unprincipled enough to be evil. Similar deal with respect to law/chaos. That's it. Such a character can still have tons of motivations that lead to great drama -- they can fall in love, they can protect their families, they can try to get rich, they can try to save the world, whatever. They just aren't as likely to be as principled or as unprincipled about it as the white or black hats.
    Yeah, that's valid.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...6#post15476516

I know I'm stealing this from someone else. But it's SO FUNNY

Zweisteine quoting Razanir:

"I am a human sixtyfourthling! Fear my minimal halfling ancestry!"

Bagnold could be one sixty-fourth halfling.

23. - Top - End - #23

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sengmeng View Post
    True neutrality maybe, but neutral good, neutral evil and chaotic neutral can be very dramatic.

For example, a neutral good character is the champion of good (and not lawful good), because he's not attached to traditions, rules but neither to individuality and undiscipline. That makes a NG a very complex character, if he/she is smart, because he will struggle to follow the best path to do the right thing, and that implies using intelligence and analysis. That's a problem that LG or CG chacters don't even consider.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyEowyn;15664369Girard was [I
    probably[/I] Chaotic Neutral
    Please...
    Girard is THE archetype for Chaotic Good. Chaotic Neutral characters are incaple of sacrifices for the common good, even less comitting their entire lifes to guard an "absurd" Gate...

Chaotic Neutral characters are, on their best, independent, pragmatical and individualists. But as true individualists, they would never involve in lifetime activities for the promotion of good causes. If they could give their life to a project, being CN as they are, they would be philosophical followers of Chaos. One example of this could be the Joker ("I'm an agent of Chaos") in the Dark Knight Batman.

EDIT: What the boards seem to forget here is that the "true hero" is the Neutral Good alignment, (one that it's entirely committed to the cause of Good, without restrictions) and not the Lawful Good... Take a look at this wheel http://easydamus.com/Composite2.png
    Last edited by Blas_de_Lezo; 2013-07-21 at 04:10 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blas_de_Lezo View Post
    Girard is THE archetype for Chaotic Good. Chaotic Neutral characters are incaple of sacrifices for the common good, even less comitting their entire lifes to guard an "absurd" Gate...
    For someone who wants more Neutral characters in the story, you seem to misunderstand the Neutral alignments quite badly.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

25. - Top - End - #25

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    For someone who wants more Neutral characters in the story, you seem to misunderstand the Neutral alignments quite badly.
    Very good reason, yeah...

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Protecting the world != automatically Good

It could be done for selfish reasons. Or it could be done for Good reasons, but with Evil means. Or it could be for Good reasons with Good means, but you also happen to murder orphans for fun.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Colossus in the Playground

And Blas's description of Chaotic Neutral bears a very close resemblance to the Player's Handbook description of one alignment.

Unfortunately, that alignment is Chaotic Evil, not Chaotic Neutral. Any time you find yourself saying, "That character can't be X Alignment, he has a good quality"...even if X Alignment is Something Evil, you're wrong. You're much more wrong if X Alignment is Chaotic Neutral--as for Girard*.

Liking extra "fluff" some random Internet person writes is one thing. Losing sight of the clear descriptions in the Player's Handbook is quite another. People on the board correctly "forget" that "Neutral Good is the 'true hero' alignment" because it's absolutely wrong to say that Neutral Good is officially better or more good than either other good alignment.

*Girard's behavior appears to have been quite Chaotic Evil. The only obstacle to classifying him that way, is that he traveled with Soon for as long as he did without Soon appearing to either Fall or kill him. Good has been quite thoroughly off the table ever since the comic revealed the Draketooths' horrific "recruitment" methods.
    Last edited by Kish; 2013-07-21 at 05:34 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

While I agree that Eugene being rude=/=Eugene not being LG, there are other events that make it more likely that Eugene has fallen from grace. Namely, the fact that his reactions to Vaarsuvius' actions while soul-spliced was one of approval. He didn't even think of them as morally appalling, just...totally fine. That definitely puts him lower on the Good end of things than, well, most of the other comics' good guys.

Not to mention the fact that he interfered with the Summoning in the Trial arc (at least a Chaotic act), and collaborated with Shojo in interfering with the trial to a far greater extent than Roy. And his abandonment of the Blood Oath was problematic enough for the Lawful Good afterlife not to let him in, even though they were fine with allowing Roy.

So Eugene is, by this point, at best True Neutral.
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds;

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Belkar is neutral good

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrBanana View Post
    Thog ... [has] the potential to become neutral
    "It's weird, no matter how many people he kills, the audience still thinks he's lovable."
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.