New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Sabine's message in Comic 903 in light of Comic 906

I saw this mentioned elsewhere, and upon re-reading it I want to see what other people think.

In Comic 903 Sabine ends her call with Qarr with the following:

: Ok, tell him that I love him, and give him lots of hugs and kisses, and tell him not to try to--

Was she about to say: -- kill Malack right now?

I mean, that'd be a bit interesting if she was about to say that. Don't know how likely it was considering that there a so many options she could choose from.

But it'd be pretty much SOP for Nale if his Crowning Moment of Awesome (which this was) blows up in his face (which it might very well, yet) all because Sabine didn't tell Qarr that right away.

Plausible?
    Not very?
    Sure, but probably won't happen?
    Something else along the specturm?

Anyone have any thoughts on this possibility?
    Last edited by Porthos; 2013-07-29 at 07:55 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Sabine's message in Comic 903 in light of Comic 906

I think it may have been something like that, but not because Malack's continued presence is important for the IFCC (though I think Tarquin's might be), but because Sabine and the archfiends doubted he could do it.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Interesting idea. That could certainly be it, I hadn't even thought of that. Hopefully we'll see Sabine/V's reaction next comic, or something else equally juicy (like Tarquin arriving, or Durkon trying to kill Nale).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Probably not. Why would she tell it to Qarr? And why would she tell it in such a casual way.
    Last edited by martianmister; 2013-07-29 at 08:19 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    And why would she tell it in such a casual way.
    A point. But Sabine can be awfully chatty when she thinks she doesn't have to rush things.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Probably not. Why would she tell it to Qarr? And why would she tell it in such a casual way.
    Qarr's got a cell phone with a direct line to Director Lee's place?

As for her tone, Sabine can be quite casual at times. She's doesn't always act like everything's a big deal.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Leorik View Post

As for her tone, Sabine can be quite casual at times. She's doesn't always act like everything's a big deal.
    If it isn't a "big deal" for her, what's the point of using Qarr as a messager?
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I thought maybe she was just saying, "don't go chasing after the Order," because she doesn't want him to fight them alone.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Qarr works for them as well.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Cell phones don't have direct lines. They can call many numbers. Also, he is clearly calling Sabine, not Director Lee.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    I think it may have been something like that, but not because Malack's continued presence is important for the IFCC (though I think Tarquin's might be), but because Sabine and the archfiends doubted he could do it.
    That's what I'm thinking too. Nale has basically been Tarquin's bitch this whole book, whatever respect the people on this forum had for him was gone and I don't doubt it was much different for Sabine. She seemed really worried to leave him alone when she was banished. No doubt she new the plan to attack Malack just like Z did, so she probably didn't want him doing anything risky while she's away.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next time we see her it's just her V and the IFCC staring at the TV going "(Un)Holy crap, he pulled it off!"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

There are so many stupid risks Nale could have taken (and could still take) that it's hard to say, "This! This is the thing Sabine was warning him about!"
    Last edited by Math_Mage; 2013-07-30 at 05:59 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

"Don't forget to put on sunscreen!" Try not to get a sunburn!
    Last edited by Demolator; 2013-07-30 at 06:56 PM.

R.I.P Zz'dtri. You'll always be the best the LG ever had in my opinion. 'Tis a shame you weren't defeated by V in an epic battle of wizards.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Rather than "don't try to kill X," maybe it was "don't try to kill X without me."
    I prepared Comic Sans today.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    That seemed likely to me. Nale doesn't have a flawless track record in regard to his schemes. But this one went off perfectly, and I can't say I feel any regret!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Which is better for the IFCC: that Malack dies right now, or that he continues to unlive?

Their stated goal is "destructive, unnecessary conflict", possibly including slaughtering Good-aligned dieties (they owe Tiamat some dead good dragons, also--so there's that).

Malack's endgame involved orderly mass slaughter. That's pretty darn close to the IFCC's endgame.

On the other hand, Malack's end marks the beginning of outright hostility between Tarquin and Nale. If this slight causes Tarquin to bring the rest of his partymates and go to the final Gate, that could possibly tip the scales in a way that favors the IFCC's Gate plan.

So it really depends: would Malack being present at the final Gate (or, alternately, Tarquin not being present because leaving the Empire of Blood wouldn't be worth it to him) be good for the IFCC?

Ask 'em yourself. ;)
    SSBitP
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "Creativity is the art of knowing how to hide one's sources." - Original quote, DO NOT STEAL.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Whatever it is, it's less important than her "hugs and kisses".
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I suppose Malack dying might the IFFC another stern talking too from a god. My spurn Tarquin into action though which is a net positive.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Incom View Post
    Which is better for the IFCC: that Malack dies right now, or that he continues to unlive?

Their stated goal is "destructive, unnecessary conflict", possibly including slaughtering Good-aligned dieties (they owe Tiamat some dead good dragons, also--so there's that).

Malack's endgame involved orderly mass slaughter. That's pretty darn close to the IFCC's endgame.

On the other hand, Malack's end marks the beginning of outright hostility between Tarquin and Nale. If this slight causes Tarquin to bring the rest of his partymates and go to the final Gate, that could possibly tip the scales in a way that favors the IFCC's Gate plan.

So it really depends: would Malack being present at the final Gate (or, alternately, Tarquin not being present because leaving the Empire of Blood wouldn't be worth it to him) be good for the IFCC?

Ask 'em yourself. ;)
    I disagree that Malack's endgame is like the IFCC's endgame. Malack has the unnecessary destruction down, but not the central part: conflict.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    I saw this mentioned elsewhere, and upon re-reading it I want to see what other people think.

In Comic 903 Sabine ends her call with Qarr with the following:

: Ok, tell him that I love him, and give him lots of hugs and kisses, and tell him not to try to--

Was she about to say: -- kill Malack right now?

I mean, that'd be a bit interesting if she was about to say that. Don't know how likely it was considering that there a so many options she could choose from.

But it'd be pretty much SOP for Nale if his Crowning Moment of Awesome (which this was) blows up in his face (which it might very well, yet) all because Sabine didn't tell Qarr that right away.

Plausible?
    Not very?
    Sure, but probably won't happen?
    Something else along the specturm?

Anyone have any thoughts on this possibility?

Hmm... interesting point. Sounds like a likely possibility since Z's question to Nale ("attack?") is not directed against OotS but against Malack. This proves beyond doubt that Nale and his gang including Sabine had a plan to eliminate (at least) Malack set up. And therefore it makes it plausible that your idea is ... well.. plausible.