New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 58 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Bath Savage Tide IC

"I have all I need. let us not waste time and possibly the element of surprise"

2. - Top - End - #212

NecromancerGirl

Ophelia smiles at the thief

Fortune has given you a good hand tonight, earning you coin for very little effort. Still that is so often is her way. It seems we wont need you for our little rowing adventure, but if you could tell us exactly where on the island we might find Vanthus, and if you know of any surprises he might have I would be very grateful. Other than that you are free to go.

To the rest of the Party Ophelia replys

Im ready and don't need anything else, unless you think we might be there overnight, in which case ill bring Rascal along

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

The rowing boat shoves off in the early evening from the dingy docks on the shadowshore as the sun begins to dip beneath the horizon and the sounds of the jungle begin to awaken. The oars move slowly across the water as you row slowly from the docks across the small strait of choppy water towards the rocky outcropping covered in trees and rocks.

Aboveground, the island is little more than a rocky out cropping surrounded by 30 foot high cliffs save from the eastern end, where a narrow beach affords an easier approach. The isle is thickly vegetated. The trees above serving as the roost for hundreds of noisy, brightly coloured parrots. A partially overgrown trail leading up from the beach to a small clearing at the centre of the island...

As the boat approaches the small beach Solomon keeps a wary eye, the large repeating crossbow cradles in the nook of his arm. "Looks quiet up there , apart from the dammed parrots. Looks like there is a path up the beach, shall we head up that way?"
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

4. - Top - End - #214

Flumph

I'm assuming that at some point before catching the boat Teach can have gotten changed and picked up his (hide) armour and his halberd.

To Ophelia some time in the past:
    Nicely done, although I do feel we have just paid him so we can remove a problem for him. Still, if the information is good it will get us a good step toward our goal. Remind me to never upset you...

Back in the present, as we are landing:
    Do we have any information about what might be happening on this island? This path is the obvious way up - which makes it the obvious point for an ambush or a series of traps or alarms. Is there another route?

If the answer is no:
    Perhaps Darth should sneak ahead, have a look around and scope the area for traps.

5. - Top - End - #215

RogueGuy

"If any of you think you can climb a tree it might be useful to get a lay of the land"

"I will be back once I have done a quick scout ahead"

Darth will go into the trees to the left of the path looking for what he can find. I will go 60ft ahead then come back with the findings.

Spoiler
    Show
    roll 1
    roll 2

6. - Top - End - #216

PirateGuy

Dirkwood scans the beach for signs of activity, reasoning if this is the only way onto the island there should be something to see.

Assuming nothing is apparent; "Something tells me this isn't the dock the smugglers use".

Dirkwood looks on with amusement as Darth sneaks 60ft up the beach, whilst loading both pistols.

7. - Top - End - #217

RogueGuy

Darth will go 60ft into the tree line.

8. - Top - End - #218

Flumph

Teach will have a look for a tree worth climbing.

That said, if the land is sloping up as much as I thought it might be totally redundant.

9. - Top - End - #219

NecromancerGirl

Ophelia waits patiently on the beach standing with Dirkwood (and anyone else waiting behind) as he loads his guns smiling at the activity, watching Darth disappear off ahead with her darkvision until he successfully finds cover where she loses sight of him almost immediately.

Spoiler
    Show

even on a 20 i wont see his sneak

He's rather good at being sneaky isnt he? She whispers under her breath to those still around. This no doubt will be very handy if we aim to get the surprise on them, assuming they haven't already seen us arrive.

From the earlier chat with Teach:
    I agree with you there, but fortune handed me coin and then an opportunty came so I thought i should go with it. I know im probably getting slightly used and paying for the privilege, but it seemed right at the time. And don't worry, it does take quite a lot to upset me. I think you would have to go really out of your way to do so James Teach... smiling at him with a little smirk and a wink.

10. - Top - End - #220

Flumph

Chasing up a beach at dusk. Brings back some memories, eh Dirk?

Learn anything useful today? Something must have brought you here.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Solomon wades ashore, heavy boots splashing through the light surf as he helps to pull the boat ashore and draws the crossbow surveying the beach and the surrounding jungle watching for danger.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception (1d20+6)[22]

Overhearing the others he grins slightly. "Good at sneaking, creeping up onto beaches at dusk. I do wonder what you guys have been up to in the past.". As Darth vanishes into the tree's he moves quietly after him, or as quietly as one can in a full set of chainmail

Spoiler
    Show

Stealth (1d20+1)[6]

-----

Up ahead Darth and Teach range a bit ahead, both keeping off the path for nefarious reasons. As Teach scales a tree he is assailed by cackling parrots in a rain of feathers and a bitter fruity bird poop. From the top he can see a small pile of rubble at the far end of the island.

Darth on the ground skulks forward. The occasional bit of human debris, a discarded empty bottle, old dagger scabbard or broken shards of a crate. at the far side of the island he can see a small ruin and what looks like a badly concealed trapdoor in the centre... Of other people he can only see parrots and a rather fat looking banded fox gorged by the amount of parrot eggs available to it.

12. - Top - End - #222

RogueGuy

Darth will go back to the other after inspection the trap door.

"the way ahead is clear but there is a ruin and a trap door. If is likely that there are traps so eyes open. I will try and stay 30 - 40ft in front. Solomon have you nothing to muffle you sounds??"

13. - Top - End - #223

NecromancerGirl

Ophelia turns whispering to Dirkwood, the two of them left together on the beach
    Should Soloman really be part of our scouting force in all that chainmail? I can imagine this is fairly new territory for him, sneaking onto an island in the twilight hour. But he is very scary in a fight, ill give him that. But i think he should have let the other two go first.

She looks at him as he makes his way up to the treeline willing him to make less noise
    He is chinking rather a lot... do you think he realises?

She turns back to Dirkwood, smiling a conspiratorial smile with a little giggle, before adding
    I haven't done anything exactly like this before, and so far its all very exciting! Ill stay with you and follow your lead if thats ok?

EDIT: Sorry that should happen just before Darth's return...
    Last edited by ShineyDuck; 2013-09-08 at 04:26 PM.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

As Darth and Teach scout neither find anything other than a badly hidden trapdoor in the ruins under a loose collection of cut down and browned decaying palm fronds. The hinges lack of rust suggests that someone must be taking care of them.

The rest of the island seems to be mainly bread fruit, various berry and palm trees and home to a vast chattering collection of parrots, small monkeys and other harmless jungle life.

Solomon looks down at the hole, "So, who's wants to be opening the door and who brought some rope? Darth, you reckon there is any funny business on this thing?"

15. - Top - End - #225

NecromancerGirl

Ophelia looks to Soloman and the others Not really my area im afraid. I don't have any rope on me either. This has been a little too easy though so far. Im betting if they havent got a lookout they'll have put something else there.

16. - Top - End - #226

PirateGuy

I'll clean up the time line!

To teach;
    "Aye, but not in search of a wage. I'm reckoning we'll be needing a bigger boat on the way out"

To Ophelia;
    "Just keep your wits about ye lass, bd keep your eyes peeled. If it goes south, make yourself scarce."

With that Dirkwood will proceed quietly up the beach.

17. - Top - End - #227

RogueGuy

" I have not seen anything and who does not bring rope??"

With that I will open the hatch and attach the rope to a tree if there is not a stair way down.

Darth will try and keep 30ft ahead looking for the traps.

18. - Top - End - #228

Flumph

As Darth goes to open the hatch without checking it for traps first Teach throws a look at Dirk and takes a long step back, gently pulling Ophelia with him.

19. - Top - End - #229

NecromancerGirl

Ophelia let's herself get pulled by James with a slightly puzzled expression not resisting him at all.

20. - Top - End - #230

RogueGuy

Darth looks at the James. shacking his head sadly.

"Have you no faith?? smirking" "Solomon you must have words with James and put him on the right path."

Spoiler
    Show
    I have already looked for traps. So go me.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

The trapdoor opens smoothly revealing a long drop down some 40ft to a rough cut cavern below. The rope drops smoothly down into darkness as Darth descends into the blackness...

As he reaches the bottom, only faint light reaching the bottom and illuminating the moist slime covered walls, he can't hear much at all...

Standing at the top Solomon looks at the others. "Who wants to go next?" If no-one volunteers he'll sling the crossbow and slide down the rope.

Spoiler
    Show

With the walls to brace against its only a DC5 climb check to go down

22. - Top - End - #232

Flumph

Teach will slide down the rope then hold it steady for Ophelia, Dirk and Solomon.

Spoiler
    Show
    Do you want a check for this?

23. - Top - End - #233

NecromancerGirl

Ophelia nervously looks down the hole. After a pause she turns around and hoisting up the hem of her dress using her tail to keep it from getting in the way of her decent, she very gingerly makes her way down the rope feeling utterly incorrectly dressed for this and wishing her wings were more effective than they are. She takes her time to descend, making sure every foot and hand is carefully placed before moving the other.

Spoiler
    Show

Taking 10 being overly careful, climb descend check of 9.

24. - Top - End - #234

Flumph

After carefully helping Ophelia down, Teach calls softly back up.

Dirk, Solomon - see if you can grab a couple of branches before you come down here. It's going to get very dark.

25. - Top - End - #235

NecromancerGirl

Ophelia gazes around seeing what she can in the dim little hole.

Spoiler
    Show

darkvision 60ft

perception check

(1d20+0)[19]

26. - Top - End - #236

RogueGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Ken shout when you want new perception checks and sneakness

Darth will use the darkness before people start lighting up. Move 80ft and come back if people at still getting down etc.

27. - Top - End - #237

Flumph

When Darth is back and close enough to speak to softly:
    Anything up ahead? Can you see better than most in this gloom?

Teach will keep an eye on Ophelia as she's likely to react to an incoming threat before he can see it.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

Darth cruises forward along the narrow slightly moist and salty smelling tunnel, after some 40ft the tunnel reaches a plain wooden door that is swollen slightly into its frame but shows signs of being opened fairly recently - a selection of boot prints in the moss and mud that can only be from a the past week or so.

As Solomon, Dirkwood and Ophelia join Teach at the bottom Solomon glances about in the gloom. A half dozen stout branches in hand after Teach's request "I hope someone brought a light!"

29. - Top - End - #239

NecromancerGirl

Ophelia steps forwards, holding her hand out and taking a branch off Soloman. She utters a small incantation and the branch erupts into flame. She holds it out towards the others in his hand, so they can be lit from the first.

I would have thought starting fires would be something you were always ready for Soloman... And she gives him a cheeky smile, if accompanied by a slightly nervous look in her eyes, but gives him a playful wink anyway.

Spoiler
    Show

Casts spark cantrip.

Last edited by ShineyDuck; 2013-09-12 at 09:37 AM.

30. - Top - End - #240

Flumph

Dirk, can you cover the rear?

Teach takes the front and advances slowly down the corridor hoping Ophelia will follow close behind with some light.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming Darth is actually out in front scouting.
    Also, not carrying a torch as I have a 2 handed weapon.