New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 53 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Shadows of the Past IC 3

As Enoka's eight eyes fix on Irraly feels a fondness for the spider who was so different then her own kind. I am honored by your blessing Enoka and thank you for it. I do hope we can meet again some day and sing together. Irraly then turns to all the other spiders around her before adding, That includes each and every one of you as well. As long as I live and have a home in these woods I shall bring to you songs on each visit I make to honor this blessing. Irraly says as she bows to the nude female before slowly walking up to her. On this I swear my life. She says kneeling before Enoka's humanoid female body that was also nude and gently took her hand and kissed it. May you and your family live long, and never go hungry again. Irraly says raising her Lavender eyes to the great spiders eight, her long white hair falling down like a waterfall behind her.

I hope you and your family find a safe new home. I would suggest going towards Anzrails home as these creatures seem to fear the water, though please do not harm her, or enter her domain, I would not want to see you, your children, or her harmed. Irraly says still n her knees before her humanoid body, one of her hands still in her own.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Titan in the Playground

As Enoka looks down and smiles on Alex he can feel a warmth spread through his cheeks. I would be happy to meet her if she has the same beauty as her mother I would happily extend the challenge to her instead if that is what you were implying. Alex says with a kind hearted smile. Gordigule when your land is healed and the monsters of sand and salt are gone would you allow me to meet with you? I would come bringing you food, though a great huntress like yourself would not need it from a mere mortal as myself, it would be my offering to you. Alex says looking around to see if her eldest daughter appeared.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Spoiler
    Show

Hijacking the thread for a short time period, for Alan.

Luthon, sensing the haversack deep in the fog, teleports to its side using his mighty boots, emerging inside the surreal, foggy environment, with the moans of the mummies around him. At his feet, just at the edge of his vision, lies the bag, within reach, just waiting to be picked up.
    And then, through the fog, an arm, a thin, bandaged arm, descends, and snags the bag, before vanishing from sight. Through your magic, you sense the bag moving marginally further away, about 10 feet from you, presumably in the hands of a mummy.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

4. - Top - End - #454
    Titan in the Playground

@Irraly: You kneel down and Enoka is surprised at this gesture.

"There is only one who has done what you have, child. To show me this respect, whereas others have shown fear and anger."

Enoka's eight eyes look up at Gordigule, with her immense size and at her daughters who begin to crawl up into the trees.

"...but she is sadly gone. Never to be seen again. I will move my brood from here, but I will not approach Anzaril's den. That area is forbidden and even I, an ancient spirit of these woods, will not tread upon those waters and their Keeper. My children shpould be fine, if they stick to the trees, those monsters of sand and salt should not reach them. The Old Guardian, however... he burns the woods every day and with that White Shade by his side... it is likely we shall have to leave the woods soon as well."

@Alex: Enoka chuckles and points up to the collosal mas of legs towering above you.

"That would be Gordigule, mortal. My eldest and strongest. She is very protective of our brood, but I am certain I can convince her to train or hunt with you...if this problem is ever fixed."

@Archaidous: Hiding in a nook within two trees, you try to move, but find that the silvery strands have caught you tight as a few minute spiders crawl over your chest.

The ancient Aranea turns her head sideways as her daughters crawl around the mage.

"Is he one of yours? Why does he hide from Enoka's eyes?"

5. - Top - End - #455
    Troll in the Playground

Back in the forest, when Irraly smacked Aradia, she was greeted by only the cold of steel armor beneath illusioned dressy cloths, and a surprised look from the shaman.
    Deep in the forest, Aradia's sense of foreboding increases as she tiptoes around the spider webs with Irraly. She is relieved to see other members of the group, and watches as Reintse and Irraly perform for this spider queen. She prepares to cut Archadeous free, but thinks twice. "Archadeous, I'd rather not risk offending Enoka by cutting the web. If this goes south though, don't worry."
    When Irraly returns, Aradia whispers to her. "That was excellent... negotiating, there."

6. - Top - End - #456
    Titan in the Playground

As Enoka chuckles a smile of realization comes across his face. It must take a dragon to keep her happy. Alex says meaning to fill her stomach how large she was. The problem will be fixed, of that I can promise you. We also have seen giants and others of their lesser kin about. Perhaps you could find them as food. Be wary though, they were hunting the Myrdian Stag last we heard and their seems to be a lot of them. Alex says hoping what he says would help them not die, as well as help the group deal with the problems they had been having.

7. - Top - End - #457

To bad could have fun under here. Irraly says with a smile. After the near death experience she needed something to cheer her up, especially with Violet all alone.

Irraly's face becomes one of sadness as her obsidian features seem to change to reflect the horror at the idea of such great creatures leaving their home. Please head towards Anzrials. I know you will be safer there. It will be the last place they attack and if they do, with your combined power they should not stand a chance. We are also on our way there, though we were suppose to go see the shepherded for help. Our guide is lost though.

A small laugh seemed to escape Irralys lips as she forgot about the others up top. I am sorry in all this I had forgotten to ask them to come down here, yes they are my friends as well Enoka. Would you mind if we slept here tonight under your protection? The creatures have stolen much from us and without it some of us will be to weak to fight until the morning. Irraly says still staying where she was. If you wish I can go get my friends and introduce you to them. Irraly says kindly, as if from one noble to another.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage1 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Hijacking the thread for a short time period, for Alan.

Luthon, sensing the haversack deep in the fog, teleports to its side using his mighty boots, emerging inside the surreal, foggy environment, with the moans of the mummies around him. At his feet, just at the edge of his vision, lies the bag, within reach, just waiting to be picked up.
    And then, through the fog, an arm, a thin, bandaged arm, descends, and snags the bag, before vanishing from sight. Through your magic, you sense the bag moving marginally further away, about 10 feet from you, presumably in the hands of a mummy.
    Keeping track of his Haversack, Lúthon casts a spell to make the words coming out of his mouth more believable.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Glibness.
    "By the way, do you know the best thing about magic? ... Everything." - Sarda, 8 Bit Theater

Thanks to Madcrafter for the avatar!

9. - Top - End - #459
    Titan in the Playground

@Alex: Enoka raises several eyebrows at the mention of giants.

A sudden jolt from the trees sends a cocooned figure dangling between you and Meic.

It's a goblin, the one who attacked Irraly earlier. Dead now.

"I have been told by my daughters that different encampments of giants and goblins have sprouted around the woods. This one was found hiding by The Mirchanae Sisters. It is unfortunate that he alone was not enough to feed the entire table."

At the mention of the Myrdian Stag, Enoka smiles.

"I have wanted to taste the Myrdian Stag's blood for centuries. A tantalizing treat that prances about these woods. However, my satiation of such a delicacy would be short lived."

@Irraly: Enoka looks at you and at her brood as it begins to climb up the trees.

"Anzaril is sister to one who wrought much pain when she lived here. I will not subject my children to her madness..."

Enoka chuckles.

"My madness is enough already."

At the mention of the Shepherd, the Ancient Aranea looks at the trees.

"The Shepherd? Why are you in this part of the forest, then? You are taking a detour, child. The Shepherd is not this way. If you continue through this path you will reach Moruga Swamp, the abandoned Marshlands a few days away. Who has been guiding you through these woods? Or have you decided to trek based on sheer luck?"

At the mention of having friends on the slope above, Enoka smiles and speaks in a chittery voice.

@Archadious: The tiny spiders crawling on you begin biting at your fine silk strands until you are freed.

"You two, come forth. We do not bite...at least not now."

@Irraly: You ask Enoka for protection this evening and she looks at you with a smile.

"Someone in these woods once told me that Might Makes Right. That same person would later slice many of my children in half, not before burning an entire nest. You can stay here, child. You are under my protection, but a word of warning: If you do, I cannot guarantee that the rest will be safe. You seem to have a lot of people with you and a lone goblin is not enough to feed them all. Do you understand what I am saying, child?"

At the mention of the mummies stealing your companion's gear, Enoka looks at Alex in the nude.

"And that is a bad thing...why?"

@Luthon: This madness has gone far enough. Words would have to be exchanged.

Words... of course.

You bite your tongue, while invisible and allow the transmutation to seep through your tongue. Like an adder's venom.

The growling beasts begin to step out, ever slowly, from the fog.

But what to do next?

10. - Top - End - #460
    Titan in the Playground

Perhaps if I get my belongings back I shall try to bring your family back some as soon as possible. Though I doubt you would need much help with how many of you there are. Alex says seeing the dead goblin. It was a gamble but he had to ask. Where I come from spiders are not often seen, what is it exactly that you feed on? Alex asks wondering if he had some way to help them. Ahh but the giants and the others would feed you far longer. If you found the stag all you would have to do is set a trap and wait for them to come chasing it, right into your trap. Alex says kindly to her, it was a win win situation.

As Enoka looks to Alex a smile comes across his face as an idea comes to mind. Slowly approaching Enoka he kneels like Irraly on the other side and kisses her hand before rising up slowly as to not anger anyone by a fast movement and whispers into her ear. Can I trust you Enoka? If I were to put my life in your hands would you kill me knowing no one would be left to stop the creatures of salt and sand? Alex says seductively before going on. how long has it been since you have slept with someone Enoka? I offer myself to please you tonight in return for safety tonight for myself and one other. And if you are not pleased when you awaken from the night before I will be your meal. Alex finishes whispering and goes back to standing straight up.

11. - Top - End - #461

Irraly pets her hand in a loving manner as Enoka calls herself mad. You are more kind then my own mother Enoka. If you are mad it is because of what they have done to your children. Irraly says soothingly, it was hard though when she was told they had been going the wrong way, leave it to Violet. Always easily distracted. Thank you for your help once more Enoka. Without your help we would have been lost I am sure.

I understand your warning Enoka, and I will leave the choice up to them if they stay. She says before getting up, mostly to get away from Alex and inform the others of what Enoka had told her.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Titan in the Playground

@Alex: The Ancient Aranea looks at you through her eight eyes, now widely open.

"My brood are very efficient hunters. If there are giants around or during our travel through the trees, we will feed on them. That is, of course, if those horrid mummies have not drained them yet of all life and liquid."

Regarding her dietary habits, Enoka points at the dead goblin, cocooned and dangling.

"We posion our prey. The venom seeps in and renders them helpless. Then we feed off their internal juices, leaving nothing but a husk in the end. Gordigule?"

The titanic spider lifts one of her legs and cuts the web holding the cocoon, which falls on the ground with a cracking sound.

"Look inside."

You walk up to the cocoon and inspect it.

The goblin is inside, but you can see multiple bite marks and its skin pale. The impact has caused it to break, revealing its insides, now gone, down to its very brittle bones.

"We eat everything."

As you kiss her hand, Enoka's eyes narrow as a smile draws on her face.

"Why would you trust me, mortal? These are the Fey Woods. Not the fairy tales your kind may read to a human boy tugged in warm for the night. These are primeval woods, with the law of the strongest enforced every day and night. In that aspect, Balion is correct- Might makes Right."

At the mention of sleeping with Enoka, the ancient Aranea rubs her chin.

"Do you understand what you are proposing, mortal? To sleep with a very ancient and hungry spirit of the Fey Woods. If I were to take your offer and you were to fail in your performance, your friends would never see you again. Are you certain you want to go through this? I am very hungry, I will admit, and you making offers like these make my earlier promise to the dark elf wane..."

13. - Top - End - #463
    Titan in the Playground

I am willing to do a lot for my friends safety just as you would for your brood. Alex says as he looks over at Enoka. Going in once more to whisper. And could you not use the poison? And instead just eat? If so I am sure you will enjoy tonight. I will lay in your bed Enoka and give you a night to remember, along with some nourishment if you promise not to kill me while you feed. This will be after I please you in other ways of course. Alex says with a smile before going on. And come the morning if you do not think I was good enough for the great Enoka, then yes I am willing to die for their safety. Alex says looking at Enoka, behind the lust in his eyes is a clear sign that he would do what he could to protect the others, even if it meant sacrificing himself. Think about it Enoka either way you win, for the price of allowing me and one other to stay here in safety of my choosing. Alex says as he starts rubbing her arms up and down gently.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Titan in the Playground

@Irraly: Enoka looks at the gesture with rarity.

She had only one person she knew treat her such way. And that was a long time ago.

"A mother should do everything for her family. I do not know the culture you come from, child, but it may not be too different from my brood. My children hunt and are hunted in return. It is the natural way. Yet your expression tells me that such is not the way where you come from."

At the mention of being lost, Enoka raises three of her eyebrows.

"Who lead you astray? Is it a denizen of these woods? if so I would like to meet your guide."

@Alex: Gordigule watches from above, towering over the den as the spiders begin to crawl slowly down from the trees.

"So... you would be willing to sacrifice yourself for them?"

Gordigule uses one her titanic legs to shunt you closer to Enoka as she runs her hand down your arm and feels your face.

"Healthy. Very healthy. Choose, mortal. The dark elf is spared already. Choose: The girl in white hair, the elf, or the lousy bard."

15. - Top - End - #465
    Titan in the Playground

I would Enoka, just as I know you would do all you could to protect your children. I offer this gift to you and you alone though. If I was healthier, and we had our gear it would be different as I could heal myself enough. But until such a time were to come this is only for you to eat. Alex says making sure the others knew he was her meal for the night, and the morning if she choose.

As I feel the giant leg of Gordigule pushing me closer to her mother I smile up at her. Do not worry, I wont be running away from her. I have made this deal willingly and will stick by it. he said before turning back to Eonka. I wish for my friend Meic to be safe, the one who was first led here by your beautiful voice. Alex says as he lets Enoka enjoy herself inspecting him. Shall we go someplace a bit more private now? Alex asks as he wraps his large arms around her waist, a sensual smile on his face, the demon had taken over. Mmmm you smell so good. Alex said to her as he began kissing her neck still infront of the others.

16. - Top - End - #466

My people belive in killing each other to prove who is stronger. Even if that meant a mother killing her child. Irraly says remembering the dark world she came from. As for our guide she was like me, one who did not leave our small part of the forest in fear of Balions death threat over 74 years ago. It is not really her fault so please be kind to her if you do meet her. Irraly says before backing up and rising.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ogre in the Playground

While invisible, Lúthon casts another spell. This can only end horribly... Silently, he uses magic to disguise himself as Kazym.

Spoiler
    Show
    Silent Disguise Self as Kazym.
    "By the way, do you know the best thing about magic? ... Everything." - Sarda, 8 Bit Theater

18. - Top - End - #468
    Titan in the Playground

@Alex: You wrap your arms around the Ancient aranea and this one looks down at Meic.

@Meic: Enoka addresses you as the many spiders in the den move aside.

"It would be wise for you to rest beside the dark elf tonight, mortal. As for the rest of you...you're on your own."

@Alex: Gordigule places her gigantic leg beneath both as you find yourself rising towards the canopy, leaving Meic, Archaidous, Aradia and Irraly on the ground with Enoka's Brood.

You know this will be either terrifyingly disgusting or the most amazing experience in your life.

As the group disappears, covered by thick leaves, you find yourself in a large nest made of white silk.

Sticky to the touch, Enoka walks with ease as she lies down on what can only be interpreted as a bed, being a bump of silk.

"So, mortal. I have yet to know your name. You certainly know mine. And I make it a haboit of knowing my partner's names before I mate."

19. - Top - End - #469

Acheron smiles as he looks over Enoka. My name is Alexander Anderson. And I hope it is a name you do not forget for a long time. he says as he slowly makes his way over to her and begins their dance. A dance of death, and of life but in the end it was worth it. He thought as he slowly began kissing her, moving down ever so slowly to a new spot, never going exactly where she wanted as he kissed his way from her neck down her shoulder, following it all the way to her hands which he spent much time on before working his way back up her arm and down her side, slowly making a trail to her legs, throwing in soft little bites in between hoping she was enjoying herself.

And Alex continued this slow torture until he got back up to her face, leaving all but her most private spots covered with kisses and bite marks. Am I pleasing my mistress Enoka tonight? Or does she think I am being cruel? Alex asks as he slowly makes his way down to her breasts and continues the pattern.........................

20. - Top - End - #470
    Titan in the Playground

Reintse was staying quiet and behind Meic throughout the conversation. Listening to Alex made him shudder... It was so wrong...

"Is he always so... Perverted and creepy?" Reintse whispers to Meic.
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Titan in the Playground

@Irraly: Enoka shakes her head.

"Balion... He visited my Hollow once, with her. I actually saw promise in him. Now, he is a rampant unnatural force in these woods. Killing and burning without reason. To think I spared his life once because his woman pleaded mercy. I had my chance then to end him. And now... but that's ancient history. If your guide happens to be around, bring her to me. I would like to at least see her. If she is a denizen of these woods, there is no excuse for being lost."

@Luthon: Your heart beats a mile a second as you watch behind the veil of invisibility as the mummies begin to growl their way out of the fog.

You concentrate silently and wish upon yourself a facade. A mask, crafted from shadows.

To be the Grand Seneschal Kazym.

You watch your hands take on that withered look. Leathery. Your armor is covered in tattered white rags and, although you cannot see it, you are confident that big turban of his has materialized on your head.

Now, to fulfill your plan...

@Alex: Enoka smiles as she pats the silk cocoon for a bed and you notice there is the beak of a giant eagle jutting out from beneath.

"Come here then, Alexander Anderson...."

As you begin your dance of Life and Death with the Enoka, queen of the spiders in the Fey Woods places her arms around you.

Then another pair begin to scratch your back.

You lift your head and turn around as Enoka throws her head back in pleasure and watch two arachnid legs tearing slightly at your back.

The Ancient Aranea looks at you as her eyes go black, much like a black widow's and you can see fangs on her now.

"Did I tell you to stop!?!"

22. - Top - End - #472
    Ettin in the Playground

Meic sighs. "Er... yeah, pretty much. I can assure you that he only has good intentions, though." He pauses, and frowns. "He's recently lost a friend, too, so he's a bit on edge, so to speak." He glances at Reintse and hastily adds, "No, not like that. He doesn't appear to have many ways of dealing with stress, though, and this will be quieter and more beneficial to the group than shouting at us. I just hope he comes back alive... he's a rather good fighter, and he's a good person, even if he's a bit odd."
    A few odds and ends.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Titan in the Playground

As Acheron looks down at her black eyes as her claws tear at his skin a smile works on his face. No my mistress. he says going back to work once more this time lower though, and not stopping until she told him to get up.

After Alex did not even know how long he came up for air looking at Enoka. Are you ready my mistress? Our would you like to show me who is the one in control here? Alex asks, gently bitting her more and more as her arms and legs scratched at my back. Pleasing her was all that mattered now, and he would make sure he did so. A night she would not forget. As he did whichever she command taking her, or rolling onto his back and letting her take control.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Titan in the Playground

@Alex: Enoka sheds her elven features and assumes a more monstrous hybrid between a humanoid and a spider, as her fangs drip in acidic saliva.

Yes... this will be as I decide, Alexander Anderson..."

Enoka covers you in webbing as you are strapped in strategic points against the wall of her nest.

The ancient Aranea scuttles towards you and places her bulk against your body, as her face and only her face switches back to the elven maiden.

"Now, it's my turn..."

Enoka starts kissing you with violent abandon as her spindly legs anchor herself to the walls of her nest, effectively pinning you against the wall.

Then, she takes a breather and smiles wickedly.

"I liked your bites. Time for me to taste you..."

The bite goes in deep in your shoulder.

Spoiler
    Show
    9 damage

However, no poison is delivered. It would seem Enoka wants you struggling. Maybe her own perversions are enough to match yours.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Titan in the Playground

I trust you Enoka. Alex says reminding her of their deal as he rolls over onto his back letting her pin him down with her webs. That is when Alex feels her bulk on top of him and with a smile says, I think I love this more, showing me all the best features of both sides of you. Alex says in between kisses. Soon though her fangs find his flesh and Alex bites into her neck as she does his shoulder to not scream out in pain. If my mistress eats now she will not be able to enjoy me fully. Alex says looking down between them as his jaws let go of their bite.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Titan in the Playground

@Alex: Enoka looks at you as she licks her lips with your blood.

"It is unwise yo trust a hungry predator, Alexander Anderson...do you know what I could to you now? End like the goblin below? Your blood...it tastes... different. Addictive. Delicious.

You bite into Enoka's shoulder as the Aranea gasps and laughs.

"You are a warrior, through and through...hmmmm. "

Enoka kisses you as her spindly spider legs claw at the silk walls of her makeshift bedchamber.

She then takes her head back and goes for the neck.

Spoiler
    Show
    9 hp

Enoka seems to be in a frenzy. She must've not fed for days. Weeks, even. The selfless act of sacrifice is too much for her to pass.

as for you, after a few nasty bites, you finally pass out at the mercy of Enoka, Queen of the Forest Spiders.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Ogre in the Playground

Taking on the voice of Kazym, Lúthon dismisses his Invisibility spell. "Hmm... The old camel's bastard and his pets were here recently. They must have left this mess. I'll just have to get rid of it."

Spoiler
    Show
    Targeted Dispel on the Solid Fog, since it's my own spell I can get rid of it without a check.

"Now! You lot! I'll be taking their equipment back with me. I believe one of those pigeons with me might be able to put some of it to use. They're still out there somewhere! Go and find them! Do not disappoint me!"

Spoiler
    Show
    I really hope this is enough.
    Bluff: (1d20+34)[39]

28. - Top - End - #478
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Violet, having finished making a replacement grass dress puts it on, and flies into the tree behind her, crying. After all, she lost the harp that Uwellyn gave her for learning the epic of the woods, and she lost the badge that she was given for being a good messenger, and then she lost the armor that Petunia had given her for being the best storyteller. All of them irreplaceable, and all of them gone, forever.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

29. - Top - End - #479
    Firbolg in the Playground

Embarrassed at his stupid attempt at a cautious decision. Archadious follows Aradia into the spiders nest. He subconsciously shivers at the thought of all the spiders in the area. He looks around at his companions, relieved to see Meic and Reintse. He concludes that Violet must still be chasing the mummies. But he realizes one person is missing.

"Where is Alex? He was just here a moment ago."
    He inquires to the others, wondering where the knight has gone?

He also turns to Meic.
    "I think in the future, this experience could be avoided with the use if a Rope Trick spell. I don't suppose it would be too much to ask for you to memorize it on a daily basis. If it is, I suppose I could try to find some way to learn it and we could take turns casting it."
    "Now you'll see some real magic!"

Raikou Stormborn Thunder Incarnate and his elemental familiar Cyrus

30. - Top - End - #480
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    HP30/98

I know exactly what you could do. Alex says with a smile, his aura seeming to grow as the blood seems to drip from her face. As for end me like that goblin I think you mistake me for something weak and helpless my mistress I am far from that. Alex says as his hands shift into claws. Acheron completely ignores her part about his blood, she would know soon enough why his blood was different, he thought with a seductive smile as I bite into her neck in return, cutting my hands lose with my claws, though not moving them just yet. Indeed a warrior. One who has been bested only by a few. Alex says a tail slowly appearing as his wings lose their feathers and becomes much like a fiends as her kisses continue leading him down into the abyss.

It is when she takes another bite out of my neck that I finally make my move. wrapping my clawed like hands around her, pushing her down onto me. Umm you feel good my mistress. Alex says with a large smile on his face as he felt what he had been waiting for. Victory to the spider. Alex says seductively before matching her bites with his own, using his arms to control her lower body and make sure she did as they had agreed to.

Blood dripping from Alexs body a clawed hand strokes her body up and down. My mistress I hope you enjoyed yourself. As you have taken much from me, and given me much in return. I must sleep now. Alex says yawning. I believe when I wake up I shall have to enjoy you a bit more. Alex says before passing out, a defiant smile on his face as he falls asleep beneath her, arms still holding her body to him.