New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] "I have mastered the Elements a thousand times in a thousand lifetimes."

Logical understanding is Intelligence, intuition is wisdom. I can see where Wisdom might be a fit for it, but there seems to be more of understanding than feeling, or at least understanding first and then feeling.
    Never can find my towel...

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    Forgot who did my avatar, sorry! >.<

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] "I have mastered the Elements a thousand times in a thousand lifetimes."

I like the new stuff. While I made a bunch of stuff, some of which really doesn't fit well with the new stuff, I was often unhappy about the feel of things.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

I feel like wisdom is more in tune with monks than intelligence, at least philosophically. I know this has gone it's own route but I still feel like that core of it is about aligning oneself with the world and manipulating the existing flows. This has always seemed to me to be about an intuitive understanding, or coming into knowledge that the body already knows but the brain hasn't accessed.

Edit* also I love the update and new stuff. This is looking awesome.
    Last edited by Gravelyn; 2014-10-01 at 06:55 PM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

I added a simple little class variant to the end of the first post. I don't know if this is a good idea. I believe that the concept this variant is intended to represent could be fleshed out into its own class - or at least into a much larger working that replaces or alters most of the Kathodos' Mythos. But that would take a lot longer. This was something I whipped up relatively quickly as an experiment while working on something else.

So, I guess my question to everyone is - Are you of the opinion that (1) a quick and simple variant like this undermines the uniqueness of the base class it works off? or (2) having new options is better than not having them, even if the new options are thematically weaker in their representation? or (3) something else?

And, of course, that's in addition to the normal, implied questions. Would you describe it as more... 'awesome' or 'radtacular'? On a scale of 8 to 10, how great is bastardizing ye olde time D&D lore? Would you say the standard reaction to requests to play this in the play-by-post forum will be 'No' or '...No'?
    Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    [Element] Within And Without
    This is a cool idea, and one I might end up using. Possibly in that form, or possibly incorporated into something else. I'm not sure.

5. - Top - End - #95

I like the idea of a variant 'pseudo-class' that works off of a larger class. Similar to how Fighters, Wizards, Clerics... basically any other 'core' class has variants and Alternate Class Features from various splatbooks, adding subclasses to the 'Major' Mythos class adds variation and choice to them without needing an entirely new class that basically fills the same function. For instance, if/when you ever make the Cynosure, then an ACF option for it could be a more tyrannical version of Leader, caring a bit more about dealing damage and Intimidate rather than Diplomacy and cowing the weak without physical harm.
    Overall, I like it. I think it should be explored more fully as an option for Mythos classes, so that the subsystem doesn't become glutted with redundancies.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: [3.5] "I have mastered the Elements a thousand times in a thousand lifetimes."

Really like most of the imagery of the alternate mythos. I think it's cool to have fun alternatives and makes an easy "like the PC but Not" scenario. I like how the fire changes, it makes it right freaky. Would there be any obvious way you would describe what all paraementals might look like to the the new exceptional mythos or are they set apart enough to not warrant the extra writing spacce to fret about?

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Um... *glances around nervously* ...dat Katarrei.

8. - Top - End - #98

I really, really like the idea and concepts of these alternative mythos/class features for the mythic classes. Gives a little be more variety and fluff to the scene.

9. - Top - End - #99

i really like the fluff, but two mythos does not a new anthol make. i feel like something as major as being empowered by a being of primal madness, rather than one of calm and balance, should warrant some change in the kathados' core abilities.
    avatardonebymememememememememeeeeeeeeeee

Julian, it's a hungry world
    They're gonna eat you alive son, yeah
    Oh Julian, when their fangs sink in
    I'll stitch you but then I gotta throw you back in

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    .... what the **** is that?! That's not a spiked chain; that's some Klingon bullcrap! Who the hell drew that?! How are you supposed to use that without stabbing yourself?!

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by commander panda View Post
    i really like the fluff, but two mythos does not a new anthol make. i feel like something as major as being empowered by a being of primal madness, rather than one of calm and balance, should warrant some change in the kathados' core abilities.
    I don't really consider it as a new Anthol, but more as a perversion of an existing concept.

Also, Xefas. I've managed to whip up a little sumthin'-sumthin' for ya. No promises, though.

Spoiler: Been a long time coming.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

Thank you all for the feedback so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Allnightmask View Post
    Really like most of the imagery of the alternate mythos. I think it's cool to have fun alternatives and makes an easy "like the PC but Not" scenario. I like how the fire changes, it makes it right freaky. Would there be any obvious way you would describe what all paraementals might look like to the the new exceptional mythos or are they set apart enough to not warrant the extra writing spacce to fret about?
    The Mythos is already really long as it is. I suppose I could write those in as well, but I feel like it's easy enough to suss it out on one's own in play if need be. Ice, for example, being a mixture of Air and Water, probably appears to have shadowy things frozen (or moving) in their depths, and murmurs can be heard if one places their ear against it. When the ice cracks, a subtle moan of pain accompanies it. Snowcones made from it are unsuitable for consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Kymme View Post
    Also, Xefas. I've managed to whip up a little sumthin'-sumthin' for ya. No promises, though.

Spoiler: Been a long time coming.
    Show
    Niiiice.
    Last edited by Xefas; 2014-10-16 at 11:40 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

I've added a Fantastic Mythos (Geomantic Worldbender Assumption), Legendary Mythos (Countersquall), and an Excellency (Synaptic Storm Understanding).

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

some small questions
    is Omphalion can get in to this class
    and
    lets say omphalion with this class decides to marry Syntrofos long sword what sort of amalgamation their baby is (İ know its perfect specimen of new race but would any one explain me? How the heck they produce the baby( lets say Syntrofos has Humanoid Spirit Projection mythos so he has body )

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    some small questions
    is Omphalion can get in to this class
    and
    lets say omphalion with this class decides to marry Syntrofos long sword what sort of amalgamation their baby is (İ know its perfect specimen of new race but would any one explain me? How the heck they produce the baby( lets say Syntrofos has Humanoid Spirit Projection mythos so he has body )
    Simple. They can't have a baby. You can't have a baby with something that lacks reproductive organs, like a sword... Unless it is one of these swords made by gnomes from that I glad comic... Which I am afraid I can't link for risk of a ban.
    "If you can't slam with the best, then jam with the rest" - Charles Barkley

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

^ THough to be precise, neither the Syntrofos noran Omphalion have reproductive organs to begin with; and they're both (living) constructs so it's not like you have DNA/viable flesh to do freaky pseudo-cloning/hybridization experiments with.

So unless there's some freaky Wish level mojo going on, or one of the two generates Mythos for the explicite purpose of making an oven to put a bun in it, offspring between the two are rather unlikely.

If you were to somehow get around that; you'd probably end up with an Omphalion whose Geomarch Arsenal weapon might be reminiscent of the Syntrofos parent, but beyond that neither race or class really puts much stock in descendant mechanics.
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

Hug me, you know you want to.

16. - Top - End - #106

Pretty much what's been said above, I'd say. Thanks to the [Living Construct] typing, neither race (or rather, neither the race nor the class) would be able to properly procreate in a 'mundane' manner. A shame honestly; the concept of a gemlike weapon, such as an Onyx Dagger, is interesting.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1949 View Post
    Pretty much what's been said above, I'd say. Thanks to the [Living Construct] typing, neither race (or rather, neither the race nor the class) would be able to properly procreate in a 'mundane' manner. A shame honestly; the concept of a gemlike weapon, such as an Onyx Dagger, is interesting.
    well I agree with you mate but simple out of universe question then how come scarlet witch made a baby with vision
    since he is pretty much living construct( aka Syntrofos) and she is some sorta cosmic being( a unique mythos class)

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

well I agree with you mate but simple out of universe question then how come scarlet witch made a baby with vision
    since he is pretty much living construct( aka Syntrofos) and she is some sorta cosmic being( a unique mythos class)
    Simple. They are not Mythos D&D characters. They are comic characters living in a separate multiverse with its own rules, and they are not d&d characters.
    "If you can't slam with the best, then jam with the rest" - Charles Barkley

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

Adopt?

Craft an Intelligent Item together (or a golem, but Craft Construct is higher level)? You can't force something to be a Syntrofos, but I don't see why you couldn't specifically attempt to create a plain ol' sapient weapon. Build a Lesser Power into them that lets them assume a humanoid form if you really want to. You're performing an intimate act together that brings life to the lifeless... that's close enough to birth, right?

Literally magic.

IIRC, she used magic to give herself an immaculate conception, and just kinda fudged what would be Vision's half of the DNA the best she could. They (William and Thomas Maximoff) didn't physically come from him.
    Last edited by Xefas; 2015-06-15 at 12:59 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    Adopt?

Craft an Intelligent Item together (or a golem, but Craft Construct is higher level)? You can't force something to be a Syntrofos, but I don't see why you couldn't specifically attempt to create a plain ol' sapient weapon. Build a Lesser Power into them that lets them assume a humanoid form if you really want to. You're performing an intimate act together that brings life to the lifeless... that's close enough to birth, right?
    then the real question is what powers the amalgamation race has is they have a weapon form and heart shape or some thing wholly unique thing that only resident cthulhu may understand?
    the only thing I know is that being may alert Lawgivers

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

I've added Steam-and-Dust Showdown back to the list of Fantastic Mythos. I'm still not sure if anyone would want to take it in an actual game, but dammit, I spent too long writing it not to have it posted in some form.

(It also adds context to Kymme's rad Nicol Bolas vs Korra picture further up the thread.)
    Last edited by Xefas; 2015-06-25 at 10:02 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I've added Steam-and-Dust Showdown back to the list of Fantastic Mythos. I'm still not sure if anyone would want to take it in an actual game, but dammit, I spent too long writing it not to have it posted in some form.

(It also adds context to Kymme's rad Nicol Bolas vs Korra picture further up the thread.)
    Is there a specific reason why combat is omitted? Also, can we have it so a Kathodos can start a duel for two other people, rather than just Kathodos v. someone else?
    Last edited by spwack; 2015-08-17 at 10:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas
    I wonder how big something has to be before it gets its own weather.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kymme
    You can do whatever the heck you want and I'll follow like a starving sycophant so long as I can read it.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by spwack View Post
    Is there a specific reason why combat is omitted?
    Because its supposed to be a skillmonkey competition, not a facestabber competition.

Also, can we have it so a Kathodos can start a duel for two other people, rather than just Kathodos v. someone else?
    That seems reasonable.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

If I believe in the city god who is a giant city can I sacrifice cities I own to gain mythos points?(for a Neron like BBE and stuff of this kind)