New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: SW Saga Edition Thread 2: The Sith Lords

Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Do you think it would have been cheesy if you'd used Force Grip or Force Whirlwind to lock the creature down? Why or why not - and why would this be different?
    Whirlwind, at least, falters when you or your allies attack the target.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The GM is experienced and skilled, I just don't think he expected me to do that. But, he did specifically request an all Jedi party. :) All the other PCs are saber monsters with relatively few Force powers; I'm a Force power sage.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Whirlwind, at least, falters when you or your allies attack the target.
    Fair enough - though you can still use Whirlwind to lock something down until it dies, since the Power itself does damage. It just takes longer, and requires you to pass more sustain checks.

Phil the Piratical Platypus avatar by Serpentine

4. - Top - End - #694
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Do you think it would have been cheesy if you'd used Force Grip or Force Whirlwind to lock the creature down? Why or why not - and why would this be different?
    force grip is against fortitude, the best defense score of most big creature, and it is harder to affect large+ size creatures with it (force grip is better/more cheesy against normal size humanoids thou, but those often come in group )

5. - Top - End - #695
    Halfling in the Playground

I'm mastering a game in KOTOR, and i need an NPC of 15 lv.
    He must be a general, he must be the bravest, he must fight in front line and he must be smart. He must be THE MAN. He must be a sort of samurai, he is loyal and he is a noble warrior.
    I haven't yet decided his race, kaleesh or a Feeorin. My players use the 28 points system so i think the NPC must use the same. I'm thinking about a soldier-elite trooper-officer.
    Can you help me with this NPC?

6. - Top - End - #696
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Only if you promise that the main bad guy will kill him within four encounters of his introduction.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

7. - Top - End - #697
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Only if you promise that the main bad guy will kill him within four encounters of his introduction.
    Or the players. :D

8. - Top - End - #698

Quote Originally Posted by Alejandro View Post
    Or the players. :D
    He his the main ally or enemy

9. - Top - End - #699
    Ogre in the Playground

Chelios; I'd try the Martial Artist PrC from Galaxy at War. Its a great class, and it fits the theme of 'noble warrior' very well. Alternately, you could throw in a few gladiator or duelist levels for that 'Samurai' feel. If you aren't too adverse to it I'd even say go with the Imperial Knight talent tree from Legacy Era, and add a few of those. Either that or the Jensaraai Defender tree from Jedi Academy (unfortunately those last two didn't exist yet and are also force users, so its up to you)

As for officer talents try the Rebel Recruiter from Rebellion Era, and Grand Leader from Clone Wars. They are both very 'THE MAN' loyalty inspiring. One is he gets his enemies to join him, the other is he gets to buff his allies like crazy.
    I'd throw together a rough build, but I'm AFB atm.

Hope this helps!
    Cool avatar by Gurgleflep

Posting Severely Limited. PM me in case of prolonged absence

my page

10. - Top - End - #700
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Chelios, what level will the PCs be?

11. - Top - End - #701

Chelios, what level will the PCs be?

13 level and they are 1 jedi knight, 1 officer, 1 elite trooper, 1 ace pilot, 1 gunslinge/boutyhunter, 1 charlatan

The npc has some troops with him.
    Last edited by Chelios; 2014-01-24 at 04:49 PM.

12. - Top - End - #702
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Why don't you ask the PCs to make this NPC? :)

13. - Top - End - #703
    Ogre in the Playground

Why don't you ask the PCs to make this NPC? :)
    Excellent idea from Alejandro!

Alternatively, here is a quick build guide for the one that I suggested

Spoiler: General McSamurai
    Show
    Key feats/items: Blastsword (Unknown regions), Weapon proficiency (blastsword), double attack (blastsword), weapon finesse
    Soldier 7: Devastating Attack (Blastsword), Melee Smash, Stunning Strike, Indomitable/Battle Analysis
    Gladiator 3: Brutal Attack (Blastsword), Personal Vendetta
    Officer 1: Grand Leader (Clone Wars Campaign Guide)
    Elite Trooper 1: Armour Mastery (Ok, this is a talent belonging to the Imperial Knight from the Legacy era guide, but it should also be available to Elite Troopers)
    Melee Duelist 1: Single Weapon Flourish
    And:
    Officer 2: Recruit Enemy (Rebellion Era Campaign Guide)
    OR
    Elite Trooper 2: Mandalorian Ferocity (KOTOR)

Alternatively you can switch some things around to gain multi-attack proficiency (exotic weapons) to make better use of single weapon flourish and Mandalorian ferocity.
    The Personal Vendetta is because many Samurai challenge foes to fight them first, grand leader is (IMO) the best buff talent, Stunning Strike and Melee smash are solid talents for any close fighter, armour mastery is because samurai wear armour, devastating attack is to improve brutal attack, brutal attack is because samurai are great at cleaving opponents in half with one blow, recruit enemy is because this guy sounds like the kind to make his enemies his allies (and it gives you a reason to keep the PCs alive), single weapon flourish is to get more out of his sword (give him more options), and the blastsword is because blastswords are awesome, and the best melee damage bang for your buck. They are also so cool! What is more awesome than slashing someone and shooting them at the same time?

Hope this helps!

my page

14. - Top - End - #704
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

My inner Wedge Antilles is side-eyeing the hell out of "blastswords are awesome" by the way.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

15. - Top - End - #705
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    My inner Wedge Antilles is side-eyeing the hell out of "blastswords are awesome" by the way.
    And my inner Janson wants a new holocape, and also thinks that blastswords are awesome.

my page

16. - Top - End - #706

Quote Originally Posted by kreenlover View Post
    Excellent idea from Alejandro!

Alternatively, here is a quick build guide for the one that I suggested

Spoiler: General McSamurai
    Show
    Key feats/items: Blastsword (Unknown regions), Weapon proficiency (blastsword), double attack (blastsword), weapon finesse
    Soldier 7: Devastating Attack (Blastsword), Melee Smash, Stunning Strike, Indomitable/Battle Analysis
    Gladiator 3: Brutal Attack (Blastsword), Personal Vendetta
    Officer 1: Grand Leader (Clone Wars Campaign Guide)
    Elite Trooper 1: Armour Mastery (Ok, this is a talent belonging to the Imperial Knight from the Legacy era guide, but it should also be available to Elite Troopers)
    Melee Duelist 1: Single Weapon Flourish
    And:
    Officer 2: Recruit Enemy (Rebellion Era Campaign Guide)
    OR
    Elite Trooper 2: Mandalorian Ferocity (KOTOR)

Alternatively you can switch some things around to gain multi-attack proficiency (exotic weapons) to make better use of single weapon flourish and Mandalorian ferocity.
    The Personal Vendetta is because many Samurai challenge foes to fight them first, grand leader is (IMO) the best buff talent, Stunning Strike and Melee smash are solid talents for any close fighter, armour mastery is because samurai wear armour, devastating attack is to improve brutal attack, brutal attack is because samurai are great at cleaving opponents in half with one blow, recruit enemy is because this guy sounds like the kind to make his enemies his allies (and it gives you a reason to keep the PCs alive), single weapon flourish is to get more out of his sword (give him more options), and the blastsword is because blastswords are awesome, and the best melee damage bang for your buck. They are also so cool! What is more awesome than slashing someone and shooting them at the same time?

Hope this helps!
    Thank you. I really love him, i m going to change something but i like the blastword

17. - Top - End - #707
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chelios View Post
    Thank you. I really love him, i m going to change something but i like the blastword
    Take that Wedge Antilles! Another Janson!

Also, I'm glad that you like him. And I figured that Samurai wield cool exotic swords, and blastswords fit that bit perfectly. (Did I already say this?)
    If you don't mind my asking, what are you going to change?

my page

18. - Top - End - #708

Quote Originally Posted by kreenlover View Post
    Take that Wedge Antilles! Another Janson!

Also, I'm glad that you like him. And I figured that Samurai wield cool exotic swords, and blastswords fit that bit perfectly. (Did I already say this?)
    If you don't mind my asking, what are you going to change?
    i'm going to change some levels in officer, i d like a more general npc...

19. - Top - End - #709
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chelios View Post
    13 level and they are 1 jedi knight, 1 officer, 1 elite trooper, 1 ace pilot, 1 gunslinge/boutyhunter, 1 charlatan

The npc has some troops with him.
    One thing. Gunslinger/bounty hunter sounds like a recipe for a CT Killer - while I don't consider them to be automatically game-breaking, as some do, they do demand a little extra care on the part of the GM. Any opponent the players identify as a "boss type" can be dropped in a round, so you need to not have (identifiable) "boss types," or put the PCs in positions where (for whatever reason) they can't/don't want to have the gunslinger take that shot. Giving your General a bunch of troops for support is a good start, but may not be enough to prevent the players spotting him and targeting him for the OHKO. (Maybe think about Darth Vader's appearances in the OT for inspiration - the heroes very seldom encounter him directly, and when they do he usually has a whole lot of stormtroopers around as well as a goal other than "wipe them all out.")

20. - Top - End - #710
    Pixie in the Playground

So, not knowing where to go, I ended up here.

Anyone have suggestions on how to build a "jedi" that uses a blaster pistol or rifle instead of a lightsaber? I don't necessarily need the jedi class. I just want to use force powers and all other jedi-ness, but use a gun (and not suck).
    Last edited by MicManGuy; 2014-01-31 at 12:41 AM.

21. - Top - End - #711
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MicManGuy View Post

Anyone have suggestions on how to build a "jedi" that uses a blaster pistol or rifle instead of a lightsaber? I don't necessarily need the jedi class. I just want to use force powers and all other jedi-ness, but use a gun (and not suck).
    That's quite easy. Grab any class you want and prioritize Dexterity (for guns), Wisdom (for powers) and Charisma (for using the powers). Be a human, and use your bonus human feat to pick up Force Sensitive (training in Use the Force at 1st-level). Then use your 1st-level feat to nab Force Training for the powers. Then, every three levels, when you have an "open" feat, grab another Force Training; and pick up Skill Focus (Use the Force) as soon as possible.

That's pretty much all you need to do. You can pick any class - Soldier for the armor and offensive-minded talents. Scout for stealthy and enduring talents (and evasion). Noble for the variety of really nice talents (and since you'll already have a nice Charisma modifier for its skills). And Scoundrel to be a jerk.

Literally every class will let you wield pistols; go for Soldier or Scout if you want to use rifles instead.
    Last edited by Sidmen; 2014-01-31 at 01:58 AM.

22. - Top - End - #712
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sidmen View Post
    Literally every class will let you wield pistols; go for Soldier or Scout if you want to use rifles instead.
    Mmmk. In that case, I think avoiding jedi entirely would be good. I love having tons of skills. Thanks!

So, what about Talents? Anything in particular that anyone knows of? So far, I've found some cool Force Talents:

Force Directed Shot
    Negate and Redirect
    Telekinetic Vigilance
    Insightful Aim
    Last edited by MicManGuy; 2014-01-31 at 03:09 AM.

23. - Top - End - #713
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

How about this?

Be a human, spend your bonus feat on Force Sensitive, be a soldier, train Use the Force. As you level, pick up the requirements for Gunslinger with your soldier bonus feats, and use a few of your character level feats to buy Force Training. Take lots of Battle Strike. Spend your Soldier talents on the Ambusher talent tree. Get into Gunslinger and get some of their delicious talents.

You'll end up with a pistol slinging monster who adds bonus damage from Ambusher and can use Battle Strike to add more bonus damage and to hit on top of that. Pretty easy to be firing, say, 4d8+3d6+half your level shots, at least until the Battle Strikes run out. 5d8 if you pick up Rapid Shot somewhere. :)

24. - Top - End - #714
    Pixie in the Playground

Be a human, spend your bonus feat on Force Sensitive... Gunslinger...Ambusher...
    Hmm some good advice there.

I've been playing with the idea of other races. Nyriaanan, Miraluka, and Felucian
    all give me lvl 1 feats that I need, like human. I'm actually kind of tempted to go Miraluka so that concealment means nothing to me, but the -2 dex hurts.

Kel Dor, Fosh, Umbaran, and Caamasi give really good ability scores. I'm really drawn to go Umbaran because I LOVE the Persuasion skill.

Thoughts, anyone?
    Last edited by MicManGuy; 2014-01-31 at 11:38 PM.

25. - Top - End - #715
    Orc in the Playground

Hmm some good advice there.

I've been playing with the idea other races. Nyriaanan, Miraluka, and Felucian
    all give me lvl 1 feats that I need, like human. I'm actually kind of tempted to go Miraluka so that concealment means nothing to me, but the -2 dex hurts.

Kel Dor, Fosh, Umbaran, and Caamasi give really good ability scores. I'm really drawn to go Umbaran because I LOVE the Persuasion skill.

Thoughts, anyone?
    Ok, so, I lied. The Jedi doesn't give you pistols - so they're the worst option for you.

26. - Top - End - #716
    Ettin in the Playground

Ok, so I'm curious, is it possible to build a bomb-nut in Saga?

Grenades seem to be of limited use and are expensive, missile launchers don't quite fit with the bomb-nut image, and explosive detonators are pretty circumstantial.
    Last edited by druid91; 2014-02-05 at 02:36 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

27. - Top - End - #717
    Troll in the Playground

What do you mean by "bomb-nut"? I'm not familiar with the term.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Ettin in the Playground

What do you mean by "bomb-nut"? I'm not familiar with the term.
    Think Solf J. Kimblee, or that Italian guy from Atlantis.

WARNING TVTROPES LINK.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

29. - Top - End - #719
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    Ok, so I'm curious, is it possible to build a bomb-nut in Saga?

Grenades seem to be of limited use and are expensive, missile launchers don't quite fit with the bomb-nut image, and explosive detonators are pretty circumstantial.
    There is a scoundrel talent from galaxy of intrigue (bomb thrower?) that is (almost) ideal (you can build grenades from some stuff in 6 seconds, and gain a bonus to handling explosives) iirc

Then there is the saboteur prestige class from force unleashed, if you want to invest further in that concept, the military engineer and the improviser might also warrant a look.

Also: depending on how mines are interperted to work in your group, you may want to take a look (they can be found in force unleashed and galaxy at war)

30. - Top - End - #720
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Okay, so here's two builds that I created for a new star wars game.

First.
    Second.

Any comments?
    Last edited by Hyena; 2014-02-07 at 05:54 PM.