New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Minecraft Thread XII: Don't Kick the Bukkit

Direwolf copied DocRedstone's vanilla method, which uses a minecart with a villager, sending him up into a room full of doors when you want the breeder on, and ejecting him out when you want it off. He was also sorting them, but that's entirely unnecessary and complicated even with mods. Which was of course the point.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Firbolg in the Playground

This is where i Rage Quit Modded Minecraft.

Im very well set up and geared up and have decided to try Mystcraft again, did all the prep needed had a Overworld Link book and all with stuff to set up a base around the spot where i arrive.

I Arrive with NOTHING! Middle of a gosh damm random age with none of my Inventory and no bloody way to go back.

Am aware i can go delete a file and end up back in the over world but it really shouldn't have happened as i did everything by the book as it were. Watch all these vids of ppl swanning about in Ages and when ever i try it i get royally screwed over.

Add insult to it i tried to spawn the items needed to make a Nether Portal in as it was a suggestion on how to get back with the file modification ~ it wont light the portal
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Nether Portals won't light in MystCraft Ages. You've got to manually spawn a portal 'block'.

Sounds like you ended up with a disarming book. I bet you threw in ender pearls hoping for intralinking?
    Last edited by Triaxx; 2013-10-07 at 06:21 AM.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

I don't really know why one would want to put Intra-Linking on a Descriptive book, but yeah, that sounds like how one would end up with a Disarming book by accident. If it's a random age, there's a chance of a Star Fissure being around to go back, or if you have Twilight Forest and set B:AllowPortalsInOtherDimensions to True you can use that dimension to get home, but ragequits are ragequits, I guess.

Given that the mod's primary direction is to make things more like Myst, though, I think there's always going to be a chance of accidents sending you far back like this.
    Last edited by OracleofWuffing; 2013-10-07 at 09:34 AM.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

5. - Top - End - #155

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Nether Portals won't light in MystCraft Ages. You've got to manually spawn a portal 'block'.

Sounds like you ended up with a disarming book. I bet you threw in ender pearls hoping for intralinking?
    Well there's something i didn't know.
    Yes i did

Portal Block got me back, still peeved that i A) had to do that and B) that all my gear is gone. Thankfully i left my Advanced Nanochestplate in the MFE for all of this
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Well there's something i didn't know.
    Yes i did

Portal Block got me back, still peeved that i A) had to do that and B) that all my gear is gone. Thankfully i left my Advanced Nanochestplate in the MFE for all of this
    Yea, there's a reason I use DimDoors instead of Mystcraft in my mod pack for the option of linking remote locations via teleportation. Plus I'm not all that happy about the ability Mystcraft has of crashing the server by being a memory hog because you suddenly made 30+ dimensions trying to fish for something.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Yea, there's a reason I use DimDoors instead of Mystcraft in my mod pack for the option of linking remote locations via teleportation. Plus I'm not all that happy about the ability Mystcraft has of crashing the server by being a memory hog because you suddenly made 30+ dimensions trying to fish for something.
    Dimension doors is just cooler anyway.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

Eh, while they're both probably used more frequently for transportation than anything else, there's stuff one does that the other doesn't and vice versa.

Hey, um, since getting everyone's schedules synched up is a thing right now, wouldn't it be possible to make an asynchronous version of the Creative game posted earlier? I mean, something where you can hop in, go to the closest "untouched" room, pick up a paper someone left behind, you know, all on your own time.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

9. - Top - End - #159
    Bugbear in the Playground

So, returning to Minecraft after... quite a while... I started up a new world. I learned some important things, even before night fell at the end of the first day!
    1. There is a place near my spawn point where monsters can spawn and access my forest, even during the day.
    2. Zombies that are burning from the sun will set you on fire.
    3. Armored zombies do not burn in the sun.

Currently waiting out the first night with no food, low health, and a spider on top of my shelter.

So, did I see talk of perhaps updating the server soon?

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gadora View Post
    So, returning to Minecraft after... quite a while... I started up a new world. I learned some important things, even before night fell at the end of the first day!
    1. There is a place near my spawn point where monsters can spawn and access my forest, even during the day.

Currently waiting out the first night with no food, low health, and a spider on top of my shelter.

* You probably have a cave nearby with a surface entrance. As long as zombies and skeletons don't have direct sunlight, they won't normally burn.

* Yea, that was included in 1.6. Also, the more damaged they are, the more damage they deal, AND they can 'call' every zombie currently spawned to come to their location when you hit them.

* Helmets protect zombies and skeletons from burning in the sun. Other armor doesn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gadora View Post
    From what I understand, one of the biomes in the 1.7 snapshots has a dense enough canopy that monsters can spawn even in full daylight. I've not played them, though. That biome does sound like a very bad place to start, though...

Burning zombies have set you on fire since at least 1.5.1, actually. Also, apparently a zombie's or skeleton's helmet will eventually break from the sun, curiously enough. I discovered this by accident when I covered over an area with glass and had helmeted skeletons spawn in there.

You did, but it's seemed to have died down with nothing having come of it.

12. - Top - End - #162

Besides taking away the Input wire is there any way to stop a Energy Bridge for always drawing a small EU current even when it its not outputting.

My main power supply is a Bank of 8 Redstone Energy Cells* attached to a Force Engine Array but i just installed the Bridge with its attendant parts to make use of the Solar Arrays that run the IC2 machines.

*With space for a further 18 when i get around to making them
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

If I understand your setup correctly, I believe the reason why your bridge is using some EU is because Buildcraft-based devices use a small amount of MJ even when idle, so it sounds like your bridge is trying to send some energy to them and it's just getting there before the energy from the Force Engines do.

Then again I'm not well-educated on the most recent version of IC2 but I know it has done some changes to its power distribution, too.
    ---

14. - Top - End - #164
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Haven't been able to reach the server for ~18 hours, anyone else getting the "Can't Reach Server" message?
    Long-form Sig

15. - Top - End - #165

Quote Originally Posted by Astral Avenger View Post
    Haven't been able to reach the server for ~18 hours, anyone else getting the "Can't Reach Server" message?
    Same here.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

16. - Top - End - #166
    Dwarf in the Playground

It has been a long time since I've said anything on the forums, about 30 pages behind; I'm sick with one heck of a headache, and my laptop has gotten the blue screen with error 0X64. Currently in ITS being worked on, hopefully I won't lose everything on my hard disk which is failing. I'll see if I need a new hard disk, or if I'll just get a new laptop. I do hope the saved data is salvageable on it, if not then I lose everything that is on it. Unless my external hard drive has backed up properly. Glad to see that the thread is still extremely active. I haven't been on the server in a great deal of time my apologies for that, but I won't be able to get on for several days.
    Note Griefers will be drawn and quartered

Sincerely your Admin,
    HeavensAngel

You can't beat Minecraft!

Multigaming community creator and leader! Clan Tri Force, visit us at http://www.triforceclan.com/
    or join us on our Teamspeak 3 server at:
    clantriforce.kicks-ass.org:9999
    password: Tri-Force

Gaming has been a great way to get to know people. That's part of what I love about games, that they are social.

17. - Top - End - #167

When the server crashes, please PM me immediately rather than waiting 18 hours and then posting in the thread.
    Spoiler: badness
    Show
    Code:
    2013-10-11 14:32:23 [SEVERE] Encountered an unexpected exception ReportedException
    net.minecraft.server.v1_5_R3.ReportedException: Loading NBT data
            at net.minecraft.server.v1_5_R3.NBTBase.b(SourceFile:102)
            at net.minecraft.server.v1_5_R3.NBTTagCompound.load(SourceFile:34)
            at net.minecraft.server.v1_5_R3.NBTBase.b(SourceFile:96)
            at net.minecraft.server.v1_5_R3.NBTCompressedStreamTools.a(SourceFile:75)
            at net.minecraft.server.v1_5_R3.ChunkRegionLoader.loadChunk(ChunkRegionLoader.java:80)
            at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.v1_5_R3.chunkio.ChunkIOProvider.callStage1(ChunkIOProvider.java:19)
            at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.v1_5_R3.chunkio.ChunkIOProvider.callStage1(ChunkIOProvider.java:13)
            at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.v1_5_R3.util.AsynchronousExecutor$Task.init(AsynchronousExecutor.java:150)
            at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.v1_5_R3.util.AsynchronousExecutor$Task.initAsync(AsynchronousExecutor.java:95)
            at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.v1_5_R3.util.AsynchronousExecutor$Task.run(AsynchronousExecutor.java:85)
            at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1145)
            at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:615)
            at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:724)
    Caused by: java.io.UTFDataFormatException: malformed input around byte 1374
            at java.io.DataInputStream.readUTF(DataInputStream.java:634)
            at java.io.DataInputStream.readUTF(DataInputStream.java:564)
            at net.minecraft.server.v1_5_R3.NBTBase.b(SourceFile:91)
            at net.minecraft.server.v1_5_R3.NBTTagList.load(SourceFile:38)
            ... 14 more
    2013-10-11 14:32:23 [SEVERE] This crash report has been saved to: ./crash-reports/crash-2013-10-11_14.32.23-server.txt

Oh dear. Apparently a part of terra near Arcanamage's login location is corrupt. Fortunately, daily backups! Unfortunately, some of the backups of that location are probably equally corrupt. Rolling back everything to most recent backup (nobody was on between the backup and the crash) and testing backups.
    Last edited by Saposhiente; 2013-10-12 at 01:41 PM.

Technical Admin of the Minecraft server. Whitelist is here; put your name there and post it in the thread.
    The overly long monstrosity that is my extended signature lies here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grue Bait View Post
    Good game, guys. Sapo, you are just too good for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    And by the way, your puzzle was one of the most interesting ones I've solved in a while. Kudos.

18. - Top - End - #168

NecromancerGuy

With the internet in my dorm its common for me to not be able to do any multiplayer minecraft for an hour or two at a time, its when it lasts longer than that, that I think its a server sided problem, not connectivity issues.

Edit:
    On the bright side, i've learned how to do simple 1 bit memory circuits thanks to the downtime.
    Last edited by Astral Avenger; 2013-10-12 at 01:54 PM.
    Long-form Sig

19. - Top - End - #169

Hawkeye finished, but that one part of terra is still borken. Working...
    Unfortunately, the disk is so close to full that when I try to unzip the archived backups, the temp files fill the disk and it doesn't complete. I need to go, so for now, server put up with the broken area still there, and teleported Arcanamage to the spawn point.
    Last edited by Saposhiente; 2013-10-12 at 04:35 PM.

Technical Admin of the Minecraft server. Whitelist is here; put your name there and post it in the thread.
    The overly long monstrosity that is my extended signature lies here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grue Bait View Post
    Good game, guys. Sapo, you are just too good for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    And by the way, your puzzle was one of the most interesting ones I've solved in a while. Kudos.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

So, I'm curious, what are you guy's favorite constructions styles?

Personally I tend to try for a sort of Castle in the sky "Overgrown technology" look.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

21. - Top - End - #171

Adapting existing terrain into a structure. Often when I'm done there is little of the original left but its a gradual process
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post

Personally I tend to try for a sort of Castle in the sky "Overgrown technology" look.
    This is one of my favorites, or a faux-tudor village if I want to put in the effort. Occasional other styles based off some japanese architecture as well, or a one off.
    LGBTA+itP

23. - Top - End - #173

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post

Wall with windows that block arrows, for creepers and skeletons, either roof or top with cactus for spiders. Roomy for adding storage/whatever else I need later. Occasionally I'll go to the trouble to try and make it non obvious that there is an entrance somewhere.

I guess I don't spend enough time playing in creative to develop a style and in survival my projects are more practically oriented (speaking of which, i got my beacon up and running with a full pyramid beneath it).
    Long-form Sig

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Astral Avenger View Post
    I guess I don't spend enough time playing in creative to develop a style and in survival my projects are more practically oriented (speaking of which, i got my beacon up and running with a full pyramid beneath it).
    Practicality is fine, but you can make your structures look much, much nicer with minimal additional effort if you do things right. For instance, I use stone bricks as my main building material, but I use smooth stone slabs for the bottommost row of any wall. By making a clear separation between the floor and wall, it improves the feel of the rooms, and it doesn't take any resources that I wouldn't be using just by making the whole thing from stone bricks.

I mostly use a medieval-ish style for my buildings, and I'm quite partial to towers. I like putting supports of some kind on the inside and hanging torches off of them because it makes the place seem more interesting than just having flat walls and ceilings. The main materials I tend to use are stone and nether brick, with either nether brick fences or iron bars for windows.

I don't actually have any really good examples at the moment, though, as I started a new world when I learned Thaumcraft 4 was out. Haven't been able to start that yet, though, as I've had tremendous difficulty finding iron for some reason. I think it's because I decided to build on a mountaintop.

25. - Top - End - #175

I usually dig out warrens to live in. My exceptions kinda always wind up as big ol' blocky squarish buildings.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRebel View Post
    Practicality is fine, but you can make your structures look much, much nicer with minimal additional effort if you do things right. For instance, I use stone bricks as my main building material, but I use smooth stone slabs for the bottommost row of any wall. By making a clear separation between the floor and wall, it improves the feel of the rooms, and it doesn't take any resources that I wouldn't be using just by making the whole thing from stone bricks.

I mostly use a medieval-ish style for my buildings, and I'm quite partial to towers. I like putting supports of some kind on the inside and hanging torches off of them because it makes the place seem more interesting than just having flat walls and ceilings. The main materials I tend to use are stone and nether brick, with either nether brick fences or iron bars for windows.

I don't actually have any really good examples at the moment, though, as I started a new world when I learned Thaumcraft 4 was out. Haven't been able to start that yet, though, as I've had tremendous difficulty finding iron for some reason. I think it's because I decided to build on a mountaintop.
    This. It's not overly hard to be both practical and aesthetically pleasing.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

My dirt wall disagrees with you. :D

That said, I do agree, that building boxes, while functional lacks a certain... awesomeness. Then again, a well-placed box can look incredibly awesome. I built a box into a mountain side, and it looks awesome. I built my Wizard's 'Tower' into the side of a valley floor, sandwiched between a river and the side of the mountain. And it looks good, even if it's a big box.

However, my sense of design really likes boxes.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

That said, I do agree, that building boxes, while functional lacks a certain... awesomeness. Then again, a well-placed box can look incredibly awesome. I built a box into a mountain side, and it looks awesome. I built my Wizard's 'Tower' into the side of a valley floor, sandwiched between a river and the side of the mountain. And it looks good, even if it's a big box.

Oh, I don't mean to impinge on the awesome look of boxes. Just that you can get things to look a little nicer than just pure functional.

I mean heck, one of my projects was nothing more than plain cobblestone towers. what made it special was the sheer size of it (Which was why I was using cobblestone which I could infinitely generate and harvest with a quarry)

And the fact that I was using massive square cobblestone towers as a starting point to wall off the sun. over a small continent.
    Last edited by druid91; 2013-10-14 at 08:35 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

Definitely. I mean most things start from boxes and work outwords, or dress them. My current house is one box that expanded into two, then into one long box and now it's rather L shaped with a mine entrance and a 'porch' containing a steam boiler.

There's nothing wrong with a box, they're just not the prettiest things ever.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, one of the parts of my faux-tudor things is having a building be made of a bunch of odd-sized boxes, sometimes symmetrical, sometimes not.
    LGBTA+itP