New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default Speaking of words, what word best describes the modern wash-of-multicoloured-stuff?

You know what I mean, the variegated hodgepodge of accumulated crap that surrounds the modern individual in his home, things out of place, out of context, rearranged into familiar but irregular piles and clusters, dog toys and toothpicks and DVDs and a soother and a stack of bulk sticky notes and on and on and on.

Anyone have a name for this? One that distinguishes it from the bric-a-brac of yesteryear, by virtue of the former's bright and multihued coloured and sheer variety of manufactured goods?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Speaking of words, what word best describes the modern wash-of-multicoloured-stuf

Quote Originally Posted by Donnadogsoth View Post
    You know what I mean, the variegated hodgepodge of accumulated crap that surrounds the modern individual in his home, things out of place, out of context, rearranged into familiar but irregular piles and clusters, dog toys and toothpicks and DVDs and a soother and a stack of bulk sticky notes and on and on and on.

Anyone have a name for this? One that distinguishes it from the bric-a-brac of yesteryear, by virtue of the former's bright and multihued coloured and sheer variety of manufactured goods?
    Vast quantities of crap?
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: Speaking of words, what word best describes the modern wash-of-multicoloured-stuf

Spectacular accrual?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

The term "cruft" fits.

There's a scene in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? which discusses a similar term. Can't remember it, though. Should be in chapter 2.

Edit: Detritus? Maybe.
    Last edited by Grinner; 2016-04-22 at 06:22 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Clutter? Or perhaps, if you're feeling generous, a hoard?
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Stuff; as in: "A house is just a place to keep your stuff while you go out and get more stuff." - George Carlin.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

If you have piles of toothpicks surrounding you in your home it's probably time to do some cleaning.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Clutter?
    That's what my mother calls it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokay View Post
    If you have piles of toothpicks surrounding you in your home it's probably time to do some cleaning.
    When life gives you piles of multicoloured toothpicks, play some kerplunk!
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

I've known plenty of non-modern individuals... their homes are similar. Clutter isn't really a modern invention, if it was archaeologists would really have a rough time. Although if you have piles of toothpicks, you might want to consider moving them outside, since wood piles can spontaneously combust, same with the sticky notes.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    Stuff; as in: "A house is just a place to keep your stuff while you go out and get more stuff." - George Carlin.
    But remember that it's only your stuff that's stuff - other people's stuff is 💩.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Are you thinking of knick knacks? Or tchotchkes?
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    Are you thinking of knick knacks? Or tchotchkes?
    Bric-a-brac, really. But spectacular, eye-catching bric-a-brac by virtue of its bright colours and endless variety of forms. I suppose premoderns had varieties of forms; any child could collect that from the woods, but it is the colouration that arrests my mind the most, wedded to the greater novelty of form, including more layering of artefacts from different historical periods: e.g., pencils and USB ports. Spectacular bric-a-brac.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Bric-a-brac, really. But spectacular, eye-catching bric-a-brac by virtue of its bright colours and endless variety of forms. I suppose premoderns had varieties of forms; any child could collect that from the woods, but it is the colouration that arrests my mind the most, wedded to the greater novelty of form, including more layering of artefacts from different historical periods: e.g., pencils and USB ports. Spectacular bric-a-brac.
    Colors fade. Bright colors are not even remotely a new thing, and while the extent of the clutter might be worse now, it's not all that meaningfully different.

With that said, I'm fond of the terms miscellany and detritus for the stuff; which depends on the subtext being conveyed.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

An accretion of clutter. A byzantine bric-à-brac. Don't deny the added alliterative appeal of assorted appurtenance.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Colors fade. Bright colors are not even remotely a new thing, and while the extent of the clutter might be worse now, it's not all that meaningfully different.

With that said, I'm fond of the terms miscellany and detritus for the stuff; which depends on the subtext being conveyed.
    Not bright colours, but mass-produced, popularly available bright colours. Anyone today can own a red coat if they desire. Could anyone 300 years ago? 100 years ago?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Kitschy junk.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Not bright colours, but mass-produced, popularly available bright colours. Anyone today can own a red coat if they desire. Could anyone 300 years ago? 100 years ago?
    Yes.

Spoiler: British redcoat, 53rd Regiment of Foote, 1845
    Show

Spoiler: Portrait of a Cardinal in his Study, circa 1510-1520
    Show

Spoiler: Reconstruction of a Roman Legionary's uniform with cloak and lorica hamata
    Show

On retrospect, a red coat specifically might have been a bad example to use.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Yes.
    A British soldier, a Cardinal, and a Roman soldier are not examples of anyone.

Besides which, neither the Roman nor the Cardinal are actually wearing coats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Misunderstanding of the meaning of 'anyone'