New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Instant Action Playtest

This is my first PbP, though I've done plenty of live games (both in person and online). If you have experience to lend, please share your advice!

Guidelines:
    1. Post at least once a day on weekdays.
    2. Be a team player - everyone should have fun.
    3. Give constructive feedback - the goal here is to put the finishing touches on the core system. There are some gaps that need filled and rules that need trimmed up.
    4. Post OOC stuff in italics. I may not make a separate OOC thread, since the OOC chatter will be just as important as the IC text.

Everyone who volunteered, please chime in here to let me know that you plan on participating!

EDIT: One other guideline - I'd like everyone to try a different race, so those are first come, first serve.
    Last edited by SixHat; 2013-11-02 at 10:17 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Instant Action Playtest

Orc
    Attributes Fighting 5 Magic 2 Skill 2
    Specialties Heavy Weapons 1 Evocation 1 Intimidation 1
    Defenses Parry 15 Magical 12 Dodge 12
    Health Dice 7
    Mana Dice 3

I hope that's what you meant! Either way, you may want to make a recruitment thread, at least, or link to this in PMs, it took some delving to find this thread. I can definitely follow all those rules.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Yep, looks good! We should have 2 or 3 more ready to go shortly, so hopefully we can get started on Monday.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Wild Elf
    Attributes Fighting: 3 Magic: 2 Skill: 4
    Specialties Archery: 1 Illusion: 1 Sneak: 1
    Defenses Parry: 13 Magical: 12 Dodge: 14
    Wild elves are agile and stealthy. They are keen shots and experts at moving through the wilderness unseen.
    Health Dice:m4
    Mana Dice: 6

How will we be determining starting gear? Particularly weapons and runestones?
    Last edited by Epsilon Rose; 2013-11-03 at 12:10 AM.
    The Focus Sniper: Boom. Head-shot.
    Spoiler: Older, and somewhat abandoned, classes
    Show
    The Chaote: a free form mage.
    My [wip] Magic fix: everyone has one, but how many encourage multi-classing?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

High elf for me.

High Elf

Attributes
    • Fighting 3
    • Magic 4
    • Skill 2

Specialties
    • Close Weapons 1
    • Warding 1
    • Perception 1

Defenses
    • Parry 13
    • Magical 15
    • Dodge 12

Health Dice: 3
    Mana Dice: 7

Equipment

• Fire Blast Runestone (Atk: +1, Cost: 1 MD; Dmg: 1 HD, ignites target)
    • Magic Shield Runestone (+1 to magical defense when held and when the wielder has mana remaining)
    • Robes of Lesser Power (+1 to MD rolls)

High elves are graceful and are among the most powerful mages. Their defensive magics are nigh impenetrable.
    Last edited by Philemonite; 2013-11-07 at 06:52 AM.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xhosant View Post
    This is evil, evil GMing. Brilliant, good sir!

LGBTAitP
    Philemon avatar by the awesome Morbis Meh.
    Suikoden Tabletop-Work in progress

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

You get starting gear in the adventure, though I might change that concept later and give each race a default loadout. I think we're just about ready to start, so I'll get some intro text up soon.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Alright, here we go. I'm going to keep this playtest short and simple, so it probably won't be super engaging from a story perspective, but we should get a good feel for the mechanics. Without further ado, let's begin!

Starting Gear
    Orc: Notched Greataxe (Atk: +1; Dmg: 2 HD), Light Armor (+1 to HD rolls, -2 to Stealth and Acrobatics checks)
    Wild Elf: Old Bow (Atk: +1; Dmg: 2 HD), Rusty Dagger (Atk: +1; Dmg: 1 HD)
    High Elf: Fire Blast Runestone (Atk: +1, Cost: 1 MD; Dmg: 1 HD, ignites target), Magic Shield Runestone (+1 to magical defense when held and when the wielder has mana remaining), Robes of Lesser Power (+1 to MD rolls)

A high elf, a wild elf, and an orc travel across the world of Phantasia in search of adventure. While listening for rumors, the band of heroes hears of trouble in the city of Calean. They set out with all haste and decide to skirt the Tamba Jungle in order to avoid the dangers within. About a day's travel from Calean, during the afternoon, the heroes spy something down the road. It appears to be... a road block, perhaps? Three figures stand around the crisscrossed logs. What do you do?

Feel free to introduce your characters and provide RPing for the journey if you like. I'm assuming you guys are all friendly enough and have been adventuring together for some time. If you don't know how to execute certain mechanics, simply state what you'd like to try to do, and I'll add the proper rolls, and we can discuss how things are supposed to work. Here's a dice roller we can use for this playtest.
    Last edited by SixHat; 2013-11-05 at 05:13 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

PaladinGuy

The Orc (whose name I still need to come up with), steps forward, getting his axe ready to strike, while squinting, trying to get a better look at the figures.

Spoiler: Perception Check
    Show
    (3d6+2)[6]
    Perception check. Hopefully that's correct.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Yep, that's correct!

The orc gazes forward but can't make out anything beyond the three indistinct figures in the distance. Still, having a greataxe in hand makes one more comfortable in these kinds of situations.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Note: I edited the source document and the starting gear list here. I moved Archery into Skill, rolled Intimidation into Persuasion, and added Might to fill in as the 5th Fighting specialty. Check the doc and update your starting stats with the new organization.

11. - Top - End - #11

The wild elf, Skitter, tries to get a better look at the men up ahead, while edging into the jungle and hoping she doesn't get seen.
    Spoiler: Check
    Show
    Perception:[rollv]3d6+4[/rollv]
    Stealth(3d6+4)[1][6][3](14)

Spoiler: Edit: ooc
    Show
    Well, I'm not entirely sure what's wrong with my spot check, but it doesn't seem to want to work.

On an unrelated note, could I get my rusty dagger traded out for something more usable? I have litterally 0 intention of getting into a melee fight with 4hd and no armor. That is a recipe for dying quickly and fruitlessly.
    Last edited by Epsilon Rose; 2013-11-05 at 11:40 AM.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Skitter slips off into the woods and becomes a ghost among the trees. His keen eyes bring the figures ahead into focus. They are rough-looking men standing in front of a makeshift wooden blockade. One of the men holds a sword and shield. Another has a greatsword on his back and wears boiled leather, and the third is shrouded beneath robes covered in mystic symbols.

As the party marches forward, the men on the road draw their weapons and put on their scariest faces. The man with a greatsword steps forward and speaks.
    "Yoo there! This 'ere's a toll, see? Ya gotta pay up if ya want to pass. Otherwise, bugger off!"

Epsilon, feel free to trade out your dagger for another item. Perhaps a confusion runestone? What would you like? Shoot, make up your own runestone if you want.
    Last edited by SixHat; 2013-11-05 at 10:27 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by SixHat View Post
    Epsilon, feel free to trade out your dagger for another item. Perhaps a confusion runestone? What would you like? Shoot, make up your own runestone if you want.
    In that case, how about a modified version of confusion. Since I'll be using a bow, having a runestone that takes up a hand to use and only results in a 1 round stun is kinda niche in it's use, since I can't really take advantage of the stun I caused and, depending on how changing weapons work, I might be burning 1 or 2 rounds to use it (>switch to stone>use stone>Switch back to arrows>use arrows).

How about making it into a place-able illusion trap. I activate it to put it down on the field, and then it stays their until triggered or detonated. If an enemy walks into it, it triggers and acts like I cast confusion on them. Alternatively, if I keep the stone in hand, I could detonate it to make it play a programmed illusion (e.g. my character running away in another direction.

That would allow me to combine it with other combat options and play into the whole stealth/trickery thing that Wild Elves seem to be shooting for.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

PaladinGuy

Theork looks around to see how the High Elf responds, but gets ready to swimg his axe if needed.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Sensing that battle is imminent, the thugs ready themselves for a fight! The battle begins!

In a normal game, heroes go first, and then you just go around the table, ending with the GM. For the PbP, we'll just go first-come, first-serve on actions for PCs. I'll act once everyone else has gone or once at the end of the day. You can take an action with each of your hands (attacking with a weapon, swapping that hand's item with another item, picking up something off the ground, etc).

You face off against the three thugs - one has a sword and shield, one has a greatsword and light armor, and another wears mystical robes.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

The High Elf laughs at the thugs comments.
    "Fine, we will pay the toll with your blood, I hope that is satisfactory."

Using Fire Blast Runestone on greatsword thug.
    Attack roll (3d6+4)[3][6][2](15) I forgot to add +1, so it's 16.
    MP roll (1d6+1)[7]
    Wielding Magic Shield Runestone in the other hand.
    Last edited by Philemonite; 2013-11-07 at 07:05 AM.
    Show

LGBTAitP

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Asteron Questar View Post
    Using Fire Blast Runestone on greatsword thug.
    Attack roll [roll0] I forgot to add +1, so it's 16.
    MP roll [roll1]
    You launch a fireball at him, and it strikes him straight in the chest.

I roll one of his health dice, and he gets +1 to the roll from his boiled leather. Invisible castle is blocked at work for some reason, so I rolled a real die.
    HD Roll: 1d6+1 = 5. The thug loses a health die, and he's currently ablaze and must roll another on your next turn!

The air fills with the smell of burning leather as the greatsword-wielding thug catches fire! He shouts in pain and bellows, "I'll kill ya fer that!"
    Last edited by SixHat; 2013-11-07 at 01:13 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

PaladinGuy

Theork swings his axe at the thug with the shield.

(3d6+6)[16]

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    Theork swings his axe at the thug with the shield.
    He tries to get his shield up in time to parry the blow, but he's no match for your orcish ferocity.

Greataxe deals 2 damage, so the thug rolls 2 HD, which turn up 1 and 3. He loses both and is now all out!

Your axe bites into his shoulder and carves down into the center of his chest. His eyes briefly widen in shock and surprise before they roll back into his skull. He falls to the ground, dead.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The greatsword-wielding thug (who is on fire!) swings his weapon at Theork!

3d6+3 = 2,1,5,+3 = 11

Theork lifts his own blade in time and parries the blow.

The robed thug reveals his hand, which is holding a runestone! He launches a bolt of lightning at the high elf.

3d6+3 = 5,1,6,+3 = 15

The high elf tries to absorb the spell's power into his magical shield, but it's too much! The high elf's body is wracked with lightning.

The lightning bolt does 1 damage, so you (high elf) have to roll 1 Health Die. If it turns up as a 6, you keep it. Otherwise, you lose it for now.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

(1d6)[3]

Last edited by Philemonite; 2013-11-12 at 09:23 AM.
    Show

LGBTAitP

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Initiative goes back to the PCs

23. - Top - End - #23

PaladinGuy

Theork turns his axe to the man swinging at him.

(3d6+6)[18]

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    Theork turns his axe to the man swinging at him.
    He rolls 5 and 3 (with his armor bonus) on his health dice and runs out! He falls under Theork's blade as well!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Hmm, looks like this PbP is dead, so I'm shutting down this game. No worries! I just started a playtest at work during lunches, and it's been really productive. If you still want to participate, please comment on the doc and/or get a live playtest together with your friends. If I don't have your email, please PM it to me so I can get all of you a copy of the PDF when it's complete. Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by SixHat; 2013-11-19 at 04:36 PM.