New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: [13th Age, Golarion, Kingmaker] The (Un)Fortunate Tale of the Iron Wraiths - IC

What’s up with this fort? There were people here last time we came thru. Maybe we shouldn’t stay here, it could be haunted, or cursed! I mean why would you just leave a perfectly good fort?

Spoiler
    Show
    Was it abandoned the last time we came thru?
    Last edited by ChaiGuy; 2013-11-17 at 11:39 AM.
    Tellah: "You spoony bard!"

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [13th Age, Golarion, Kingmaker] The (Un)Fortunate Tale of the Iron Wraiths - IC

More or less, yes. The people were abandoning it.
    Spoiler: DM: Current Games
    Show

[13th Age]Lords of the 13th Age: Kingmaker IC, OOC

[13th Age]The (Un)Fortunate Tale of the Iron Wraiths
    OOC, IC

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Edmund the Grey, Half-elf Bard
    Character Sheet|Description

Combat Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Staggered

{table]STR|8|0|AC|15
    CON|12|+2|PD|12
    DEX|16|+4|MD|14
    INT|10|+1|Init|+4
    WIS|14|+3|HP|11/24
    CHA|18|+5|Recoveries|
    3/8
    [/table]

Edmund has been much quieter since the encounter with the centaurs, lost in his thoughts, and far more wary.

Yes, I believe we shall stay here until our wounds are healed and we can prepare ourselves better, Edmund's voice is steely. I have been a fool to think we could start this endeavor so ill equipped. I brought with me a silver tongue and spells to useful for the courts of the realm, but that is not what is needed to forge a new stronghold in these lands. We will need to forge ourselves for combat, and not let our attention falter this time.
    Last edited by Yarael; 2013-11-17 at 02:05 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    @ DawnRaven are you saying we can have a full heal-up if we stay here a few days?

What do you think we’ll get here to make us better prepared, Edmund? It’s probably empty by now. We won’t even be able to restock our food supplies we ate coming here. I think we could have used some more man power but I don’t think we’re short on mundane supplies. I’ll try to keep the ghosts and curses at bay with the help of the spirits, but I can’t guarantee safety!

5. - Top - End - #65

Planetar

Combat Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Staggered

{table]STR|8|0|AC|15
    CON|12|+2|PD|12
    DEX|16|+4|MD|14
    INT|10|+1|Init|+4
    WIS|14|+3|HP|11/24
    CHA|18|+5|Recoveries|
    3/8
    [/table]

There are more spells at my disposal, but I will need some rest and concentration to release the arcane lore I have locked into and shift the patterns about to relearn new rites of arcane might. In the city, i found great use of the lore I have now, but in the wilderness, spells filled with more raw power might be more appropriate. If, however you think it best we move on, and continue through the wilderness, so be it! I am just of the opinion that few places on our way will afford us such a well fortified option.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

It should be OK, there is a posiblity that ghosts and curses aren't really the reason they left this place. I've got a better feel for this place now, and I think it'll be safer than the wilderness. Don't worry though ... I'll keep my guard up. We can stay here and feel free to do ... that magic stuff that you need to do.

7. - Top - End - #67

Spoiler
    Show

Yes, you can take a full heal up here.

The Wraiths spend a couple of days resting at the Fort before heading out. This time, you follow the road west. West is where the Greenbelt, Slough and Glenbelon Uplands lay. It will be nearly a week and a half's travel there. Fortunately, few creatures come up the road between Fort Serenko and Nivatka's Crossing, a town just a day's away and the last town you'll stay at during your journey.

The travel to Nivatka's goes without incident. The small village is situated against a deep river with a bridge going over it. It is likely the bridge is the only thing keeping the town alive. A single, poor tavern stands near the edge of several fisherman homes and a few basic craftsmen shops such as a mason and leatherworker. Since you have a wagon with plenty of goods, you can choose to spend the night here or continue to travel for a few hours and spend the night on the road.
    Show

OOC, IC

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Let’s stop for the night here, it’ll give us a chance to see what’s going on round here. I’d like to see what the tavern’s serving.

Matsu enters the poor tavern, and orders a meal. He looks for anyone who might be a fur hunter, logger or other people who brave the wilds for a living. He’ll try to see what the local threats in the area are.

9. - Top - End - #69

Planetar

Combat Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show

{table]STR|8|0|AC|15
    CON|12|+2|PD|12
    DEX|16|+4|MD|14
    INT|10|+1|Init|+4
    WIS|14|+3|HP|24/24
    CHA|18|+5|Recoveries|
    0/8
    [/table]

I agree, Matsu the Talkative, we should stay here this evening. Perhaps there are some here who can provide us knowledge of the area, or further beyond. Perhaps even those who might want to join our exploration. I will secure us lodging, and then visit amongst the villagers.

Spoiler
    Show
    Edmund uses his charm and banter to win over the towns folk.
    Charisma +5 plus Manipulative seeker of Aracne Lore +6 = (1d20+11)[8](19)
    Last edited by Yarael; 2013-12-10 at 06:17 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70

Spoiler: Edmund
    Show

What guard?

As you approach the town, a few children wave to you before disappearing inside of a house. The sun is about an hour from setting and it looks like many of the workers are returning home for the day. The small port is filled with six tiny river boats. A few of the villagers wave to you, but none of them approach.

The tavern bears a wooden sign with a crude carving of a bear with a frothy mug in one hand. To the side of it looks to be a stable that is currently locked up. At least your mules and wagon should be secure.

Within, you find a small bar room. There are only three small tables that are currently filled with farmers, fishers and what looks like one traveling merchant. A slim woman is carrying a tray of drinks while the bartender, an equally young man rests behind the bar, filling drinks. The man has a black mustache and bald pate in a style common to Restov three or four years ago.

As you walk within, several heads turn your way. The woman flashes you a smile while the man at the bar calls out. "Welcome to the Comfortable Bear, travelers. Find a place to seat and my wife will be with you soon. We're just got started on the dinner meal too.

A wooden menu on the wall is painted with multiple layers of thick white paint and a single layer of black lettering on top. It seems each day, they simply paint over the old menu and add on a new one. Under Supper is listed "Pork liver, broad beans with turnips, a slice of flatbread and walnut cake - 5 silver."
    Show

OOC, IC

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Good day, mate, been looking forward to a good meal!With a thick Iobarian accent. Matsu takes a look at the menu before taking a seat next to the traveling merchant. Pork livers, they can be good if cooked right and the rest looks good enough. When the waitress arrives, I’ll be having a meal, and a pitcher of ale too. I’ve got several friends coming see.

Good day, there mateMatsu says to the one who looks like a traveling merchant. Are ye a traveling merchant? I need a few things to fill out my medicine pack, got any aloe vera, elderberry, or purple coneflower? Have you been traveling lately? I started out in ol Restov, then traveled down to For Serenko, went south to meet some bloke mapping that area. Trust me you don’t want to go there, the centaurs are not friendly. When we got back to the fort, there weren’t nobody there! They just left the place, I thought it might be haunted or cursed or something. We stayed there for a bit though, got pretty beat up by some o those centaurs.

12. - Top - End - #72

The merchant looks a bit taken aback by the torrent of words. He shakes his head. Sorry, I have nothing at the moment. I am heading to Restov to pick up some goods to bring west.

He pauses, taking in your words. You said they abandoned Fort Serenko? Has a war started in Brevoy? Hmn..if not, this smells of Regent Surtova. He's been dabbling too much in military matters in Rostland. I think he fears rebellion.

The merchant turns to the bartender and shouts out to him, his familial manner suggests he frequently comes through this town. Bendetto, did you hear what this man said? They done pulled all the way out of Serenko jus' like you said they would!
    Show

OOC, IC

13. - Top - End - #73

Planetar

Combat Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show

{table]STR|8|0|AC|15
    CON|12|+2|PD|12
    DEX|16|+4|MD|14
    INT|10|+1|Init|+4
    WIS|14|+3|HP|24/24
    CHA|18|+5|Recoveries|
    0/8
    [/table]

Spoiler: DawnRaven
    Show
    What guard?

Sorry, I cut and pasted the skill roll and did not change what I was doing with the roll. I was trying to chat up the locals.

Fascinating, fascinating. Tell us, Bendetto, if you mind not humoring us travelers, what leads you to believe Brevoy pulls back. Why not even this month they have sent out fellows such as with charters to explore and expand the borders. It seems odd to both send us out and retreat at the same time, do you not think?
    Last edited by Yarael; 2013-11-20 at 12:38 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Is there war in Brevoy? No mate, it seems like everyone’s on edge, but there’s not large scale fighting yet. I can’t say I can even guess what those noble types are up to. I just call it like I see it, they left the fort, and maybe they’ll be back who knows? That’s right Edmund, that Maeger bloke was mapping out there like we’ll be mapping to the west.

15. - Top - End - #75

The bartender, Bendetto, blinks at Edmund. Me? I don't know nothing about politics. Ask Eric for things like that. He gestured with a mug to the merchant sitting near Matsu.

Bah! Those charters? That has nothing to do with Surtova, didn't you hear? That's the Swordlords doing. I bet they're just trying to plot a retreat jus' like the Mivonese did a hundred years ago. There were rumours in Restov of rebellion, and I think they'd do it! And lose, hah!
    Show

OOC, IC

16. - Top - End - #76

Bendetto's wife brings a tray with food and drinks for your table. You're lucky Mr. Drury here has nothing to sell you or you'd be spending all your coin today. He's a wily one, I'd watch him. She smiles and returns to the kitchen, leaving Eric to laugh lightly into his mug.

The merchant turns to Edmund. So what brings you two into town? You do not have the mark of merchants to me.
    Show

OOC, IC

17. - Top - End - #77

Planetar

Spoiler: Combat Statistics
    Show

{table]STR|8|0|AC|15
    CON|12|+2|PD|12
    DEX|16|+4|MD|14
    INT|10|+1|Init|+4
    WIS|14|+3|HP|24/24
    CHA|18|+5|Recoveries|
    0/8
    [/table]

My fair lady, we travel to the Glenbelon Uplands. We have been tasked to explore and map out these wild lands. This is the first I have travelled, and know not what to expect. Do you know of any who have made their way through these lands. We may be able to pay a guide or share in our finding with a capable guide, or fellow explorer.

18. - Top - End - #78

Eric smiles broadly. I have, although I am no guide. I've traveled as far west as Starfall in Numeria and as far south as Razmiran!

He shakes his head after that, looking out a window into the darkness. However, I have am a merchant, no guide. I hope to bring my wagons to Restov and back to a trading post down the road in the Greenbelt before winter falls.

Sarkil pounds the table with a mailed glove. Merchant! We are tasked from the Council of Swordlords itself. The hand of Gorum himself wishes these lands colonized and explored. There are battles to be found amongst the barbarians that live out there!

Mr. Drury doesn't seem phased in the slightest. That doesn't sound like a lucrative venture, sir. My apologies and I wish you the best of luck. My travels to Numeria usually went north rather than dip into the Uplands. I've heard King Irovetti has claimed much of them. Although with Pitax's lackluster state, I don't see how they could afford to even explore them.
    Show

OOC, IC

19. - Top - End - #79

Planetar

Show

{table]STR|8|0|AC|15
    CON|12|+2|PD|12
    DEX|16|+4|MD|14
    INT|10|+1|Init|+4
    WIS|14|+3|HP|24/24
    CHA|18|+5|Recoveries|
    0/8
    [/table]

Well Eric the Far Traveled, it is indeed unfortunate we may not convince you to find your fortune with us. We have not the eye for opportunity you do, and are sure to pass up many a a lucrative opportunity without you. That being the case though, we would be honored to hear what you have to say of the lands you have seen. Certainly along your many travels you have seen much fools such as us missed. Regal us with your tales, so that we may hopefully seize upon the richest you will miss out upon. It would be pity that none of us should profit from this adventure.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Edmund will give one more attempt to convince Eric that fortune lies with us!
    Charisma +5 plus Manipulative seeker of Aracne Lore +6 = (1d20+11)[12](23)
    Last edited by Yarael; 2013-11-24 at 10:02 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80

The merchant seems pleased with Edmund's praise and is equally pleased to tell a few tall tales. He speaks of mechanical terrors with a dozen legs being ridden by loin-cloth wearing barbarians chasing him across Numeria's plains. He talks of the forbidden Forest of a Thousand Screams where few men have dared walk. Within that forest lurk peculiar, dark fey that prey on any who touch their forest. Why, one time he traveled south to Pitax and wandered too near Thousand Screams during a rainstorm. Eric claims he saw wolves the size of elephants lurking within!

And he tells stories of far away Galt, a land where government is routinely reviled and rebellions are a talk for every other weekend. One trip, during the last government of Galt, ended in bloody misfortune. Several revolutionaries mistook Drury's merchant wagon as someone shipping weaponry. They stole his wagons, killed his mules, and killed his traveling companion at the time. The five of you talk and drink for several hours, with Drury ending up convinced to add you to his next supply trip out into the wilderness.

All these expeditions will be good for business! Set up near the northern end of the Uplands and I'll try to spot you on my way out to Numeria!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The next day is a joyful affair. Drury pays for breakfast. Bendetto and his wife cooked ham, sausages and steamed kale. Drury heads North-East to Restov while the four of you head out to the Glenbelon Uplands.

The journey west takes seven days. For the first three you have a dirt road to travel, but the road soon swoops further north leaving you trekking over hills and grasslands. You pass north over the Kamelands and the Slough, avoiding the thick trees and swampy ground. It is mid -day when you reach the area indicated by your charter. Nothing but rolling black hills covered in an odd, gray grass lay before you. A cold wind rushes over the landscape, scouring your faces and encouraging you to hide them in the thick scarves, gloves and coats packed into your wagon. It is not yet winter, but autumn here is windy and chill. In the distance rises the large Branthlend Mountain range foreboding. At its base spreads the forest of Thousand Screams, but it is hidden by hills and distance now. Somewhere to the south lies a large lake and, at the edge of your charter, the city of Pitax.

You have about five hours before night falls fully, although it will start to get dark in around four.

Spoiler
    Show

See the Map in the first post of the OOC for your location.
    Show

OOC, IC

21. - Top - End - #81

Planetar

Show

{table]STR|8|0|AC|15
    CON|12|+2|PD|12
    DEX|16|+4|MD|14
    INT|10|+1|Init|+4
    WIS|14|+3|HP|24/24
    CHA|18|+5|Recoveries|
    0/8
    [/table]

Matsu the Wise, where is you think we should establish our camp? I have some experience in the wilds, but I think your guidance in this will be constructive. This evening I think it prudent we create a regular watch, two of us each perhaps for the evening. Perhaps Sarkil and I can take the first watch, you and Paolo the second.

Edmund sends sometime surveying the vast distance, looking for any variation in the landscape. It appears so barren to him. Wonder than have yet claimed it for their own. Edmund smiles wryly, Do think you can find us a suitable place for a base camp in this land?

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Edmund try to assist Matsu in finding a good base camp location.
    Wisdom +3 plus House Medvyed Bastard +2 = (1d20+5)[11](16)

22. - Top - End - #82

With that check, Edmund can surmise two places that would be ideal for a camp. One is a particularly tall hill nearby that has a decent view of the surrounding black hillside. While not a perfect view, impossible with so many hills, it would provide you an advantage should your camp get attacked. However, the harsh winds of the Uplands may only get colder with coming winter and it might be hard to stay warm up high.

The other position is nestled in the curve of one hill protected by another. It is situated in a way that would make for an easy covering protecting from snow and wind. However, while you would be warm and have less to worry about frostbite, it is not as defensible a spot.
    Show

OOC, IC

23. - Top - End - #83

Planetar

Show

{table]STR|8|0|AC|15
    CON|12|+2|PD|12
    DEX|16|+4|MD|14
    INT|10|+1|Init|+4
    WIS|14|+3|HP|24/24
    CHA|18|+5|Recoveries|
    0/8
    [/table]

What say you Matsu. This hill over there seems more defensible, but exposed to the elements. That vale is sheltered, but I worry that we can be ambushed there. What guidance have the spirits in this matter?

24. - Top - End - #84

The way I see it, Edmund, is we only have one choice. I'd rather not end up as an icicle. It's already cold enough here! Sarkil shivers, wrapping a thick, fur-lined cloak around himself. We have to set up camp against the side of those hills.

Sarkil's brother sighs in exasperation. Edmund, you know we can't do that. We've heard that there are crazy fey living in the woods here, barbarians wandering around and even Pitax apparently claims this area! We need to stay safe. Our only choice is to set up camp on the hill and fortify it for awhile. I think we should move closer to the mountain too, maybe set up a camp against it.

Paolo gets pushed by his fiery brother. Don't listen to this twit! Camp by the mountain, hah! There could be dragons there! And besides, didn't that nice merchant, Mr. Drury, say he would stop by if we camped in the north here?

The thinner brother frowns at the push and rolls his eyes. No need to get violent, brother. You must think with your head. Of course...that point about Eric is true. He would see us best if we were on a hilltop though.

Sarkil's voice is gruff and growling. So would enemies..

They both turn and look to Edmund, frowning.
    Show

OOC, IC

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Matsu the Wise! Matsu laughs heartily, Edmund, I think you just like making up new nicknames for me! It’s a good question though, I’ll think about it some.

Matsu appraises the survivability of the two mentioned hill sites and contemplates other sites for survivability. He calls on his ability to feel the attitude of the air spirits to enhance his ability to predict the weather.

Spoiler
    Show
    Wilderness Stalker, wisdom based: (1d20+9)[12]

OK, I’ve thought about the how harsh the weather will be by getting a feel from the air spirits. To really make sure I’ll try to get a glimpse of what the other threats might be I’ll need to reach out to other spirits, the spirits of the void. Since their so hard to understand it’ll take awhile, for they are all of the spirits in one and yet are also the absence of them as well. To do this will take an hour of uninterrupted meditation, while burning special incense to please the void spirits. If we feel there is not time we can make our plans without the extra guidance of the void spirits.

Spoiler
    Show
    Prophet of Doom, wisdom based: (1d20+9)[12]

These two checks could be done in a more mundane fashion, but I’d like to play up the supernatural spirit communing nature of Matsu when possible. DawnRaven If the time frame for the PoD should take more or less time feel free to let me know it seems more mystical if some time is required, I’m not trying to gain any special advantages by “communing with spirits” over more mundane methods of figuring this out. It just seems more in character and cooler too at least IMO.

26. - Top - End - #86

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem any of the spirits feel like speaking with you here. In fact, there seems to be fewer around than Matsu would expect there to be when one is in the middle of wilderness far from civilization. The few he does contact and lure out of hiding, swiftly flit away when he tries to ask questions. (i.e. you rolled too low )
    Show

OOC, IC

27. - Top - End - #87

Planetar

Show

{table]STR|8|0|AC|15
    CON|12|+2|PD|12
    DEX|16|+4|MD|14
    INT|10|+1|Init|+4
    WIS|14|+3|HP|24/24
    CHA|18|+5|Recoveries|
    0/8
    [/table]

Since the spirits here are so skittish, I am afraid this does not bode well, Matsu the Wise. I am leery to forego the defesive advatages of the hill site, but also worry that perching ourselves up high may draw unwanted attention. Battling this cold will be a constant concern, so therefore I think it best to use that vale to the north where our friend Eric may find us, and where we will be afforded some small measure of relief from the elements.

Edmund waits for Matsu to follow his words. Edmund answers Matsu's question just before he can voice it, Yes, the vale. Let's be off! With that Edmund makes sure the wagon is in order and remounts his horse.

28. - Top - End - #88

I knew you'd agree with me Edmund. The tiefling looks pleased as he leads the wagon around, moving to the niche against the hill. Paolo and Sarkil quickly get to work, using stakes, thick canvas, and strong rope to build a pavilion large enough for all of your bedrolls. Sarkil lays extra wool blankets against the inside, trying to keep the chill at bay. Paolo quickly builds a fire, burning the scrub and sending smoke up through a hole in the top of the pavilion.

The remaining day passes quickly as you sort out your new encampment, trying to make it warm and protected.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Day Two: The Black Hills of Glenebon.

You awaken the next day to a warm breeze. The uncertain weather of autumn seems to have brought you a good day. The sun is just rising behind a cloudless horizon.

Spoiler
    Show

Exploration rules and the map are on the OOC thread. Let me know where you would like to go!
    Show

OOC, IC

29. - Top - End - #89

Planetar

Show

{table]STR|8|0|AC|15
    CON|12|+2|PD|12
    DEX|16|+4|MD|14
    INT|10|+1|Init|+4
    WIS|14|+3|HP|24/24
    CHA|18|+5|Recoveries|
    0/8
    [/table]

I am of the mind is that we should explore a safe route to Pitax. I am unsure of our reception there, and would like to keep our charter a secret from the Tyrant, but it is the closet place to find supplies if needed. What say you Matsu-Who-Seeks-the-Spirits?

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Sounds like a good idea Edmund. I think I need new incense anyway. Glad it's getting warmer too, seems like a good day to travel. Have to keep an eye out for rabid mutant werewolves though, they could be lurking just over the next hill!