New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: PLOT (Erfworld 16)

I like the expression of the guy on the end when Parson disappears (I don't think the guy has a name yet, but the one with the Jewish headgear). Sheer amazement. That is, of course, added to the long list of other amazingness that was this strip. (Hee hee hee. Squatter Hobbits. Genius.) Good job Rob, keep it up.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Banned

It actually earned a chuckle from me. Not a full out laugh, but a chuckle, and a chuckle is pretty good. I'll admit that PLOT was perfect, and 'dibs on his dice' was beyond funny, I could just imagine the size of this wad's dicebag. Also humourous for me is the fact that I know someone almost exactly like parson.

3. - Top - End - #93

Oklahoma, where the air elementals carry brooms

Heh, I just noticed. It's not every day that a protagonist realizes he's being set up for a monologue, and then goes through a monologue anyway. Nice.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think the only line that would have been better would be the one that every geek would have actually said moments after he stopped talking and disappeared... LOL I know this because I can count that at least 2 or 3 of the people in my gaming group would say the exact same thing.

"That wasn't a soliloquy, it was an exterior monologue..."
    - Everything I tell you is a Lie -

OotS Avatar by Ceika/wolfshonor
    Erfworld Avatar by Urodivoi
    Ponytar by Elemental

Alex Star

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

dibs on his dice, someone write that done. That should be in the gamer hall of fame.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I just wanted to add Thanks for Erfworld, I saw alot of comments and naysayers at first, but I think it grows on
    you and you have to give it a chance. I want old Parsons
    to suceed and can see the Geek in the Mirror effect that
    will endear this Comic to me.

Its also easy to see the "EVIL" side in this is obviously the
    Strawberry wearing carebear weilding blonde wannabee's
    Death to the carebears, Hope Gotti can be a ruthless and
    good a warlord when its actually counting, his ample Buttocks upon the line so to speak.

Lots of potential and look forward to more Erfworld. Hamstard was a nice touche.
    Smile..It keeps em guessing

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I do think it's interesting that a lot of people say it's "too soon" to say that Erfworld is a bad comic and yet, it's not too soon to call it a good one. It's certainly an interesting double standard...

Someone let me know how it all turns out.
    Sebastian Bux
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Posting may provoke attacks of opportunity

8. - Top - End - #98
    Dwarf in the Playground

That was the only Erfworld that made me laugh out loud. Let's hope they continue like this from now...

Though I got a scary glimpse of my not-so-distant future life. :O
    I lack a humurous opinion/outlook

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGirl

Oh *snap*.

Oh come on, someone was bound to say it.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Man! This is a classic case of "be careful what you wish for"!

I really don't think that Wanda is going to be all that happy about the results of the spell. At least Bogroll isn't going to be the largest character any more...
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

11. - Top - End - #101
    Pixie in the Playground

You think Wanda is going to be cranky?

Just think of what Lord Stanley is going to do. Remember, he was promoting his previous warlords based on physical attractiveness, a quality that our fat friend is somewhat lacking in.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Bux View Post
    I do think it's interesting that a lot of people say it's "too soon" to say that Erfworld is a bad comic and yet, it's not too soon to call it a good one. It's certainly an interesting double standard...

Hi, welcome to The Internet.

I assume you haven't been here before so let me give you a brief overview. Here we engorge ourselves on foolish inconsistency and hypocrisy. Sit down, have a heaping bowl of fanboyism topped with a light sour grapes dressing. We pride ourselves on our whine selection, though the transformers fan whine is excellent this year. We have live entertainment every night, which usually gets recorded and redistributed illegal, our most popular band being a local group called "The Flaming Trolls". So just sit back, relax, and remember: The Internet is Serious Buisness.
    "So...the orphan attacked you?
    "Aye"
    "And so you cut him down with your axe in self defense."
    "Aye..."
    "I don't believe you."
    "Damn...would ye believe that th' orphan was an alien?"
    "No"
    "Damn."

13. - Top - End - #103

ROFL!!!!

this one really made me laugh... i think i will enjoy this webcomic =)
    solo tú sabes bien quien soy y por eso es tuyo mi corazón
    AKA Yakkul

14. - Top - End - #104
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I suspect what they mean by 'too soon' is 'shut up and sit down, we're trying to listen.' I could be wrong though. I haven't read/posted before today, so I didn't notice the rude noises.

The thing about something useful to you? You know it's useful. The thing about something useless to you? It's a lot harder to tell whether it's useful to someone else. Unless you think everyone else has the same needs as you.
    TEXT REMOVED
    Voice of mod: please keep it civil. Hypothetical namecalling is still namecalling.
    Last edited by pclips; 2007-01-12 at 03:47 PM. Reason: See flame warning.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Pixie in the Playground

Hypothetical namecalling eh. Hehe.

Anyhow, "PLOT" is sheer WIN.
    Any other style tricks I can apply to that word to make it more clear? Hee.

Also I feel kinda sorry for Parson... He's... he's a sympathetic protagonist. He's disgusting and revolting but you have to feel for him. <G>

16. - Top - End - #106
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gedrean View Post
    Hypothetical namecalling eh. Hehe.

Anyhow, "PLOT" is sheer WIN.
    Any other style tricks I can apply to that word to make it more clear? Hee.

Also I feel kinda sorry for Parson... He's... he's a sympathetic protagonist. He's disgusting and revolting but you have to feel for him. <G>

Yeah, well, if he stops updating Hamstard, someone's going to need to feel REAL sorry for him.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Orc in the Playground

My thoughts exactly, clearly he is the perfect general that the spell summoned.
    Endless thanks and praise to my anonymous benefactor for the great Tharjatar... or is it a Smitatar?

18. - Top - End - #108

Hahaha! I agree.
    New Terminator movie = Awesome!

19. - Top - End - #109
    Pixie in the Playground

Ugh. I accidentally clicked to view Erfworld just now. (Who in the nine hells' idea was it that it should be above OOTS? Or is it dynamic by last post? I haven't noticed yet.)

It actually almost interested me. I read the first couple of panels of 16, and wondered if all of the (IMO blah blah etc) lame stuff that made me dislike the comic from 1-8 was just in this Parsons guy's head; a lead in to a story about people, gaming, obsession, whatever. That might have been interesting. But wait.

So I skipped back a few to see where the people started (I didn't have to go far...) and took a quick look. My main thought was

"Okay, I wonder if I can start reading with the intro of (what I initially though were) the people "behind" the silly game that was being played, and not need to read the annoying stuff in between where I stopped and where the people start."

So I read 15, then went back to 16 to finish it out. And BAM. Instantly lame again. Ugh, double ugh. "Oh looky, the real person gets thrown into a game world blah blah."

Hey, at least I tried.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Banned

Sulu, translate please!

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemistmerlin View Post
    Hi, welcome to The Internet.

I assume you haven't been here before so let me give you a brief overview. Here we engorge ourselves on foolish inconsistency and hypocrisy. Sit down, have a heaping bowl of fanboyism topped with a light sour grapes dressing. We pride ourselves on our whine selection, though the transformers fan whine is excellent this year. We have live entertainment every night, which usually gets recorded and redistributed illegal, our most popular band being a local group called "The Flaming Trolls". So just sit back, relax, and remember: The Internet is Serious Buisness.
    BWAAHHA HAA!
    Spoiler
    Show

Yee.
    Hah.

I'm in ur ideosphere, propigatin' ur memes!
    I do not understand me.
    English translation of Japanese translation via Babelfish of #408

22. - Top - End - #112
    Orc in the Playground

That guy's Lord Stanley's new warlord?? OMG, I can't wait to see what happens next!

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grungydan View Post
    Hey, at least I tried.
    Well aren't you a saint. Be careful about exerting yourself though, we don't want a martyr on our hands.

Tell me though, at what point in this amazing journey of self-discovery did you decide that you would run over to the forum and tell the world and his wife about your amazing discovery? Personally I'm delighted that you did because the very idea that I might remain ignorant about Erfworld's brief but eventful ascent into mediocrity, before plunging back into the black crushing depths of "lameness", is frankly too shocking and disturbing to even contemplate.

Thankfully we have a constant trope of the likes of yourself and Sebastian (or has he left?) who are willing to dedicate such Herculean efforts to ensure that everyone knows that you think Erfworld is "lame". I for one shall rest easier tonight knowing that brave souls such as yourself are standing vigilant, with egos armed, ready to take up the cause of delivering unadulterated unconstructive criticism whenever needed.
    The Omnians were a God-fearing people. They had a great deal to fear.
    -Terry Pratchett

24. - Top - End - #114
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

I <3 Om

YARLY.
    Spoiler
    Show

Yee.
    Hah.

I'm in ur ideosphere, propigatin' ur memes!
    I do not understand me.
    English translation of Japanese translation via Babelfish of #408

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

I thought that this page did a good job of setting him up as a sympathetic character, too. He's a loser, but at least he knows he's a loser and doesn't try to make excuses for it. The fact that his friends care about him (well, a little, aside from the jokes about his dice) speaks well for him, too.

And was I the only one who thought that the panel just before he PLOT-ed out managed to make him look slightly badass for a moment? Up until that point, I found it hard to see him as anything but a comical general, but somehow that shot made him look like he might actually cut it as a warlord and not just as a strategiest.

I do think that the problems with casting the spell are a literary device so Wanda et all can doubt his generaling-ability, though. If the spell had been cast by professionals, they wouldn't have had any choice but to accept that he's the perfect general; but since Wanda was casting a spell outside her specialty, she's likely to be much more doubtful about him, especially when she sees what she's gotten.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Pixie in the Playground

Lol. Sorry to have mortally offended you so, oh great one. Or, wait...have I been pwned? (Is that still the parlance?)

I love rabid fanboyism, it's cute.

I didn't come to repeatedly slam, knock, etc. the comic. Go ahead and run a search. You'll see that this is probably my third (maybe fourth?) post related to it at all. I merely tried to read the comic again, found I still didn't like it, and thought I'd share. As far as whether you find that valid or worthwhile, well, I don't really care.

So blast away, o' pwning winner of the internet.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Orc in the Playground

@ Grungydan: Ok, we get that you don't like it. Different humour is for different people. kthxbye.

I reckon Parson is going to turn up in Erf looking just like Hamstard. So we'll get our Hamstard comic, but it will be set in Erfworld.

28. - Top - End - #118

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Teufel View Post
    I reckon Parson is going to turn up in Erf looking just like Hamstard. So we'll get our Hamstard comic, but it will be set in Erfworld.
    That's kind of been my opinion too. And I think someone mentioned possibly a picture of Parson on his t-shirt (instead of one of Hamstard)...

29. - Top - End - #119

Quote Originally Posted by Om View Post
    Well aren't you a saint. Be careful about exerting yourself though, we don't want a martyr on our hands.

Tell me though, at what point in this amazing journey of self-discovery did you decide that you would run over to the forum and tell the world and his wife about your amazing discovery? Personally I'm delighted that you did because the very idea that I might remain ignorant about Erfworld's brief but eventful ascent into mediocrity, before plunging back into the black crushing depths of "lameness", is frankly too shocking and disturbing to even contemplate.

Thankfully we have a constant trope of the likes of yourself and Sebastian (or has he left?) who are willing to dedicate such Herculean efforts to ensure that everyone knows that you think Erfworld is "lame". I for one shall rest easier tonight knowing that brave souls such as yourself are standing vigilant, with egos armed, ready to take up the cause of delivering unadulterated unconstructive criticism whenever needed.
    You know, I like Erfworld, really I do.

But the fans are starting to piss me off. People don't have to like this comic folks, and they are allowed to come here and say they don't like it. This is not the Erfworld forums, it is the Giant in the Playground forums and a lot of people come here for other reasons, while they are here they may decided to comment on the fact that they think Erfworld is bad, and they're allowed to say as such.

Frankly, while I enjoy the comic, it is a sub-par webcomic at this point. Order of the Stick, Real Life, Shortpacked, Ugly Hill, Least I Could Do, are all brilliant webcomics and Erfworld is hard-pressed to live up to the competition they present. Given time, it may grow and rival them, but for now it is just a "decent" webcomic and there are going to be a lot of people that dislike it. Stop acting like the people who choose to express that fact are somehow beneath you.
    "So...the orphan attacked you?
    "Aye"
    "And so you cut him down with your axe in self defense."
    "Aye..."
    "I don't believe you."
    "Damn...would ye believe that th' orphan was an alien?"
    "No"
    "Damn."

30. - Top - End - #120
    Pixie in the Playground

I just want to see more.