New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 39 FirstFirst ... 924252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1166

Thread: The Gamer

1. - Top - End - #991
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: The Gamer

New page. I thought it was about time for someone to call Jee-Han on his "I'm sad that I'm magic" but it was just another chance to underscore the danger, cut short because there may be more people in danger! Never fear citizen, I'll give you some magic! Captain franchise is on the way!

I'm still pretty sure that the sorcerer creating the age of great labyrinths is Jee-Han himself, unconsciously using the pilfered illegal thought energy to give him the magic, money and items that "the gamer" would require. It's going to need a lot more if he keeps gaining followers that share his power...

2. - Top - End - #992
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Spojaz View Post
    New page. I thought it was about time for someone to call Jee-Han on his "I'm sad that I'm magic" but it was just another chance to underscore the danger, cut short because there may be more people in danger! Never fear citizen, I'll give you some magic! Captain franchise is on the way!

I'm still pretty sure that the sorcerer creating the age of great labyrinths is Jee-Han himself, unconsciously using the pilfered illegal thought energy to give him the magic, money and items that "the gamer" would require. It's going to need a lot more if he keeps gaining followers that share his power...
    Given that the class President was brought in through a mobile game, and at the end of the last story arc, there was the mysterious internet cafe users talking about how they were going to make a mobile game to continue their aims. I'm willing to guess they're our culprits here. That would be interesting, but seems kind of outside of Gaia's 'Don't mess with the real world' thing if Gaia was kidnapping people and feeding them to fuel Jee-Han's gamer power.

3. - Top - End - #993
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

New Chapter!

Go go power levelling? Yay for Jee-Han smash?

Actually, I'm a bit confused, why did he stop using Gnome all of a sudden?

4. - Top - End - #994
    Ettin in the Playground

I get the feeling that we're about to see a 'leashed' boss in the form of the Fire Golem.

Namely, if you are in a spot that the boss does not have the ability to reach, he will regenerate to full health and be immune to damage until you come into range. Not to be confused with kiting a boss - kiting means that you are in a spot that they could theoretically attack you, but you keep moving ahead of them so they never actually reach you. i.e. running away from a boss while peppering them with spells is great. Flying 100 feet up and shooting at a melee boss confined to the ground is a no-no.

MMO's are somewhat infamous for this - there were actually a couple bosses in original WoW that could accidentally be reset by players doing nothing wrong.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2015-11-05 at 11:59 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

5. - Top - End - #995
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    I get the feeling that we're about to see a 'leashed' boss in the form of the Fire Golem.

Namely, if you are in a spot that the boss does not have the ability to reach, he will regenerate to full health and be immune to damage until you come into range. Not to be confused with kiting a boss - kiting means that you are in a spot that they could theoretically attack you, but you keep moving ahead of them so they never actually reach you. i.e. running away from a boss while peppering them with spells is great. Flying 100 feet up and shooting at a melee boss confined to the ground is a no-no.

MMO's are somewhat infamous for this - there were actually a couple bosses in original WoW that could accidentally be reset by players doing nothing wrong.
    That would be nice. Or maybe something like it actually being immune to ranged attacks. It would be a nice change of pace for the main character to actually get in over his head for a change. Like he f'd up and now he's stuck in a fight he can't win or lose until someone shows up and helps him.

Also was I just imagining the page where he said he was going to check out what happened to try and prevent people from being sucked in and dying? I fail to see how going back in the labyrinth helps this.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

6. - Top - End - #996
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    That would be nice. Or maybe something like it actually being immune to ranged attacks. It would be a nice change of pace for the main character to actually get in over his head for a change. Like he f'd up and now he's stuck in a fight he can't win or lose until someone shows up and helps him.

Also was I just imagining the page where he said he was going to check out what happened to try and prevent people from being sucked in and dying? I fail to see how going back in the labyrinth helps this.
    Well presumably all people that get sucked in are sucked in to the first few levels. If he clears the first few levels and leaves the labyrinth open so enemies don't respawn, then they'll be teleported to empty levels with no risk.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2015-11-06 at 03:23 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

7. - Top - End - #997
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post

My reading is that now that he felt he was facing a serious danger, he wanted to level a bit more.

8. - Top - End - #998
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    So he really just one hit killed it, huh. End leveling is a tad easy for him he should run into a harder enemy soon to show that his ability is not entirely easy mode.

Also: Yes take wisdom, take it!
    Last edited by Ibrinar; 2015-11-12 at 11:41 AM.

9. - Top - End - #999
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

New Chapter!

More secondary person grinding? Jee-Han is becoming quite the teacher.

I'm getting kind of confused at what is supposed to be going on here though, everything seems kind of all over the place in terms of plot threads that are being kicked up.

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Colossus in the Playground

I think this is supposed to mirror Jee Han's own initiation into the Abyss, and show how far he's come compared to a normal person (as opposed to Black Summoner and President level guys). I imagine in the future we'll be seeing more of how Jee Han's gift makes him better than a random normie who fell into a dungeon and discovered she could cast a spell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I think this is supposed to mirror Jee Han's own initiation into the Abyss, and show how far he's come compared to a normal person (as opposed to Black Summoner and President level guys). I imagine in the future we'll be seeing more of how Jee Han's gift makes him better than a random normie who fell into a dungeon and discovered she could cast a spell.
    Well, I imagine she doesn't get the Gamer's Mind ability and, unless there is something else going on*, her ability to distribute Attribute points, learn spells instantaneously from books instead of actually needing to study them and so on are tied to being in a party with The Gamer.

That said, it got me thinking: since with the Gamer around other people can learn skills from books like he does, his friend could train with him, pump up the appropriate stats, and easily learn every single advanced technique their clan has in books, scrolls and things like that. Heck, he could probably make a good position for himself in the Abyss by offering the leveling up and auto-learning skills from books as a service.

*And I hope he doesn't actually have the capacity to just give others a power similar to his own.

12. - Top - End - #1002

Spoiler
    Show
    On the plus side they now know that she does not die in real life because of it.

Also geez he even uses his skills to handle emotional situations, In a few years his interactions with other will consist of a row of skill checks.

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Way back in chapter 38 it was explained that, normally, damage suffered inside an illusion barrier is not real - given what just happened, apparently this goes even for death. Here is the thing, though: in that chapter, Jee Han's presence in the dungeon made all the monsters there permanently real, with injuries suffered there remaining once outside of it. I wonder why it is not happening this time...

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danelsan View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Way back in chapter 38 it was explained that, normally, damage suffered inside an illusion barrier is not real - given what just happened, apparently this goes even for death. Here is the thing, though: in that chapter, Jee Han's presence in the dungeon made all the monsters there permanently real, with injuries suffered there remaining once outside of it. I wonder why it is not happening this time...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perhaps because she was drawn into it alone this time, and he wasn't there?

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perhaps because she was drawn into it alone this time, and he wasn't there?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Unless I'm misinterpreting chapter 38, Jee Han did not need to be in his friend's dungeon to make it real - after he went there, the monsters were always real, even when he was not present. But who knows, this is clearly an unusual dungeon so maybe each instance counts as a brand new one or something.

Another thing I have been wondering: why only the class president has appeared in Jee Han's copycat Labyrinth? Presumably other people are been drawn by that game into the original Labyrinth dungeon to fuel the thought-power stealing effect, and apparently none of them got into Jee Han's Labyrinth instead. Or maybe they did - apparently class rep got dumped into the second floor this time. Maybe there are other people getting killed in the floors further down? Jee han should look into a possible surge in mental breakdowns in the gaming community...

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Spoiler
    Show
    Unless I'm misinterpreting chapter 38, Jee Han did not need to be in his friend's dungeon to make it real - after he went there, the monsters were always real, even when he was not present. But who knows, this is clearly an unusual dungeon so maybe each instance counts as a brand new one or something.

Another thing I have been wondering: why only the class president has appeared in Jee Han's copycat Labyrinth? Presumably other people are been drawn by that game into the original Labyrinth dungeon to fuel the thought-power stealing effect, and apparently none of them got into Jee Han's Labyrinth instead. Or maybe they did - apparently class rep got dumped into the second floor this time. Maybe there are other people getting killed in the floors further down? Jee han should look into a possible surge in mental breakdowns in the gaming community...
    I think that time it was because that room was always open, and wasn't recreated everytime(because it was inside of another time dilating barrier, I believe they also mentioned how they couldn't close it down). So he went in once, twisted it somehow. Also, I think damage in these area carries over somehow, because the first introduction to the Black Summoner was Jee-Han being held hostage to force...the Red Headed girl to fight. Which she wouldn't have taken that bait unless there was some form of risk, because why bother fighting like that if there's no risk of any form of lasting damage.

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoa View Post
    I think that time it was because that room was always open, and wasn't recreated everytime(because it was inside of another time dilating barrier, I believe they also mentioned how they couldn't close it down). So he went in once, twisted it somehow. Also, I think damage in these area carries over somehow, because the first introduction to the Black Summoner was Jee-Han being held hostage to force...the Red Headed girl to fight. Which she wouldn't have taken that bait unless there was some form of risk, because why bother fighting like that if there's no risk of any form of lasting damage.
    Hmm...yeah, that wouldn't make much sense. Unfortunately it is quite uncertain if that is something that will be better explained eventually or just the author being inconsistent again.

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Hmm...yeah, that wouldn't make much sense. Unfortunately it is quite uncertain if that is something that will be better explained eventually or just the author being inconsistent again.
    I reread chapter 38 and I'm pretty sure the "damage inside doesn't carry over to outside" thing was a special property of that specific illusion barrier, not a general rule. More specifically, it was due to the nature of the monsters themselves, with them being generated as "not really real" deliberately for training purposes. This would obviously not apply to Black Summoner or other "vs real people" fights, inside illusion barriers or not.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2015-11-27 at 05:14 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    I reread chapter 38 and I'm pretty sure the "damage inside doesn't carry over to outside" thing was a special property of that specific illusion barrier, not a general rule. More specifically, it was due to the nature of the monsters themselves, with them being generated as "not really real" deliberately for training purposes. This would obviously not apply to Black Summoner or other "vs real people" fights, inside illusion barriers or not.
    Hmm...I think you are right. If usually the danger is real though, we are back to why the heck the class rep is still alive after dying in the dungeon?

20. - Top - End - #1010

Hmm...I think you are right. If usually the danger is real though, we are back to why the heck the class rep is still alive after dying in the dungeon?
    Presumably the people who made the Labyrinth did the same "not really real" thing as the Chunbumoon's training ground, probably because they didn't want to deal with the inevitable fallout of reactions to all the random deaths that would happen otherwise. Also, letting the random schmucks they pull in live means they can pull them in again later to siphon more thought power. They're following Sam Starfall's business advice.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2015-11-28 at 12:15 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Presumably the people who made the Labyrinth did the same "not really real" thing as the Chunbumoon's training ground, probably because they didn't want to deal with the inevitable fallout of reactions to all the random deaths that would happen otherwise. Also, letting the random schmucks they pull in live means they can pull them in again later to siphon more thought power. They're following Sam Starfall's business advice.
    I don't think so. It appeared as though she got sucked specifically into JEE-HAN's reproduction of the labyrinth. Presumably he was smart enough to turn 'training mode' on when he left, in case she got pulled back in without him.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    I don't think so. It appeared as though she got sucked specifically into JEE-HAN's reproduction of the labyrinth. Presumably he was smart enough to turn 'training mode' on when he left, in case she got pulled back in without him.
    I don't think Jee-Han can use a training mode on his dungeons, since he gets real goods out of it, the danger is also real, and he seems to warp whatever dungeon he is in to become real. I imagine it's part of the balancing act of his power, while he can create real objects, the danger he faces is also always real type of thing.

23. - Top - End - #1013

We don't know that the danger to Jee Han is real. After all, game characters respawn.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoa View Post
    I don't think Jee-Han can use a training mode on his dungeons, since he gets real goods out of it, the danger is also real, and he seems to warp whatever dungeon he is in to become real. I imagine it's part of the balancing act of his power, while he can create real objects, the danger he faces is also always real type of thing.
    I wouldn't be surprised if he can change the difficulty level of dungeons he creates.

'Easy' mode presumably has training mode engaged so no permanent death or damage, reduced EXP, and poor item drops

'Normal' mode is probably.. normal.

'Hard' mode probably has better item drops and tougher monsters all around, with increased chance of severe damage.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

25. - Top - End - #1015

Spoiler
    Show
    Come on he can level someone to level 30+ in that amount of time and can now teach abilities for free? That training speed is simply ridiculous. Of course she probably isn't a very good combatant and has a small spell selection. But getting someone to be a flying mage with magic missles in days? (or weeks or how long it was) He should seriously consider just building an army. Though I suppose he doesn't have any goals to fulfill by using an army.

26. - Top - End - #1016

Early levels are always easiest to grind, and given Jee Han's own power level when he was at that stage, it's not particularly impressive when stacked up against other Abyss people.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Titan in the Playground

Its actually extremely effective, on a few nights he had managed to train someone to a point where they are suddenly someone to pay attention to, and could be an actual threat for the majority of of the people in the Abyss if faced in groups.

If he wanted to he could very easily power level his own little elite army.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Come on he can level someone to level 30+ in that amount of time and can now teach abilities for free? That training speed is simply ridiculous. Of course she probably isn't a very good combatant and has a small spell selection. But getting someone to be a flying mage with magic missles in days? (or weeks or how long it was) He should seriously consider just building an army. Though I suppose he doesn't have any goals to fulfill by using an army.
    That's pretty standard for MMO's, btw. Early levels are always extremely easy to get.

I mean remember at the start Jee-Han gained 2 levels from killing just ONE Black Slime. Farming mobs above your level is always extremely fast EXP gain.

Also, in pretty much every case, power leveling somebody else is always CONSIDERABLY faster than doing it solo.

For example. When I played World of Warcraft it took me about 10 days of play time to level a character solo to the maximum at the time (level 60). I know because there is an in-game clock you can access that tells you how long you have played.

Using a 2nd account and using a max level character to power level another character to the same level, 60, took me 2.5 days.

Also, each level takes significantly longer than the level previous. Solo, you went from level 1 to level 10 in about 1-2 hours. Going from just level 59 to 60 took 2-3 hours just for a single level.

It's pretty standard that the early levels you blow through and later levels start to take extreme amounts of time.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

29. - Top - End - #1019

Of course it is standard for mmos that doesn't make it not broken in a world where other people actually train normally. I mean the martial arts people aren't particularly high level and probably have years of training. (Also some mmos have a day/night cycles significantly faster than the real world one but I can't remember whether wow had one.)
    Last edited by Ibrinar; 2015-12-04 at 01:21 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1020

Of course it's brokenly overpowered in this setting, it's a natural ability and the story established much earlier that natural abilities in general are always extremely powerful.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show