New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

View Poll Results: What would happen if V wore the belt of gender changing?

Voters
237. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing

104 43.88%
  • Universe explodes from paradox/irony ect

66 27.85%
  • V's gender revealed (it was obvious all along!)

16 6.75%
  • this poll is stupid

51 21.52%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: If V wore the belt of gender changing...

Quote Originally Posted by Guildorn Tanaleth View Post
    No, hermaphroditism is the opposite of no/neutral gender. The opposite of androgyny would be a clearly defined gender.
    Well, wait. Here's how the logic runs in my head.

Let's assume that clearly defined male gender is 1 and clearly defined female gender is -1. NOTE: I'm not saying anything about women here, I'm just using a numerical example. Don't hit me, girls, please. I bruise easily.

When the female ogre put on the belt, she shifted from -1 to 1. When Roy put on the belt, he shifted from 1 to -1, except for the hair thing, which we'll ignore as simply a joke.

As an androgynous 'It', V would therefore be 0. The opposite of 0 being, well, still 0, V would therefore remain androgynous.
    <Rexatar
    Spoiler
    Show

Fiscal Mereor, by NecroPaladin.

Spoiler
    Show

Kyrian, describing my very own Fourth Empire...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyrian View Post
    ...god damned moron organizations full of morons...

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tormsskull View Post
    Even better. Boy from Turkey and girl from UK wake up in Vegas married to one another. We'll call it Dude, Where's My Country?

2. - Top - End - #32

When I saw the title, my first thought was literally "Univers implodes on itself", but the whole "Palette swap" thing seems to work.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

Oh, now come on folks, the giant is the only one to know the truth, so I expect that not even V has the slightest Idea what gender he/she really has. Whatever the Result would be, V would get so what of distraught that even not the universe would get the irony/paradox V would with all of his/her arcane power just *plopp!* the universe so that Nr. 2 would happen...

Oh jeah, btw, new in forum^^

Hi @ all^^

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by J_Muller View Post
    Well, wait. Here's how the logic runs in my head.

Let's assume that clearly defined male gender is 1 and clearly defined female gender is -1. NOTE: I'm not saying anything about women here, I'm just using a numerical example. Don't hit me, girls, please. I bruise easily.

When the female ogre put on the belt, she shifted from -1 to 1. When Roy put on the belt, he shifted from 1 to -1, except for the hair thing, which we'll ignore as simply a joke.

As an androgynous 'It', V would therefore be 0. The opposite of 0 being, well, still 0, V would therefore remain androgynous.
    Well, not to be too nerdy here, but androgyny isn't the same thing as sexlessness. From dictionary.com:

1.being both male and female; hermaphroditic. 2.having both masculine and feminine characteristics. 3.having an ambiguous sexual identity. 4.neither clearly masculine nor clearly feminine in appearance: the androgynous look of many rock stars.
    I think 2, 3 and 4 apply to V (and I didn't realize 1 was a common usage at all, that surprised me), but as Atirakis said s/he does have a gender. Probably.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by horus02 View Post
    I expect that not even V has the slightest Idea what gender he/she really has.
    That's impossible, V is married after all. Marrying a person who doesn't know his/hers/its own gender just seems a bit disturbing to me. And the only thing that i can imagine to be more disturbing is marrying a person whose gender is unknown to the partner.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Golt View Post
    That's impossible, V is married after all. Marrying a person who doesn't know his/hers/its own gender just seems a bit disturbing to me. And the only thing that i can imagine to be more disturbing is marrying a person whose gender is unknown to the partner.
    Unless that other person is also unaware of his/her own gender. If V has a 50% chance of either, and so does the other person, well then there is only a 25% chance of them being the same gender. If V's gender is defined, there is a 50% chance that they are the same, but seeing as it isn't, they would be rolled one after another, and it would be like flipping a coin. If V is heads, there is a 50% chance of the other person being heads. But, if V is X and other is Y (neither have rolled/flipped) there is only a 25% chance that X=Y...

Ive gone on too long about this.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

eek Re: If V wore the belt of gender changing...

Quote Originally Posted by skreweded View Post
    Unless that other person is also unaware of his/her own gender. If V has a 50% chance of either, and so does the other person, well then there is only a 25% chance of them being the same gender. If V's gender is defined, there is a 50% chance that they are the same, but seeing as it isn't, they would be rolled one after another, and it would be like flipping a coin. If V is heads, there is a 50% chance of the other person being heads. But, if V is X and other is Y (neither have rolled/flipped) there is only a 25% chance that X=Y...

Ive gone on too long about this.
    You got it wrong. It's actually 50% chance of them being the same sex. I'll put it simply;
    M-M
    M-F
    F-M
    F-F
    Those are the posibilities; and the half of them is a pairing of the same sex.

Now, maybe elves are really liberal and allow marriages of the same sex.

And i registered just to point that.

8. - Top - End - #38

@skreweded- have you been on the Beer of Annihilation? O_o
    i want some too!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Amoeba View Post
    And i registered just to point that.
    And I believe it only proves my point of how disturbing the idea is

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

Either nothing will happen or some change would happen, which would explain everything..
    Sadly, the magic of the belt would collapse because of the confusion, and eventually the would will go kaboom ;)
    http://myspace.com/arcticetiainen
    Thanks to Ceika for the avatar

Only the tame birds have a longing. The wild ones fly...
    Change the inside...drink the rain...open my wounds to heal the pain...but it's burning me...
    Sometimes forgiving is too much like self abuse...Sometimes forgiving leaves too much sear tissue behind...Even if I could one day learn to forgive you everything, could I learn to forgive myself?

WE WILL ALWAYS BE SO MUCH MORE HUMAN THAN WE WISH TO BE...

10. - Top - End - #40
    Pixie in the Playground

Elves are the definition of androgyny so, nothing would change and V would be offended. V's mate would be able to tell a difference, but no other....
    This is where I quote something I find wity and cool.
    Correction: where I would quote
    It isn't going to happen. Bummer

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm not sure, probably nothing noticeable by anyone else, but V would be very upset, OR: V gains complete and total ultimate arcane power: saying the right 4 words to the right being at the right time for all the wrong reasons: "Give me the belt"

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Either the paradox thing, or V turns into a very handsom/beautiful and clearly gender defined man/woman (depending on her gender previously)
    This post may contain sarcasm.
    DeviantArt

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

I think V will not change in appearance to anyone but his/her mate, who will come and say "You know, I've always wanted to try this..."
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

i think *BOOM*............
    Now if you don't mind, I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down

Woooo! Door is fixed! All hail Door, King of Doorland!

<---dang it

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

I think that nothing would happen then a elv nnotices her and starts screaming "holy crap its a cross-dresser"and then everyone giggles
    Not forgetting Yldenfrei and the wonderful avatar she made.

16. - Top - End - #46

It's like Pat and Chris. V would change gender, but no-one would be able to tell which one. Maybe Belkar will try (and most probably fail) to trick her into putting it on.
    I am somewhat preoccupied telling the Laws of Physics to shut up and sit down.

Thanks to Abardam and Vael for the awesome avatars!

In Town: Fydan (avatar) and Sia >

17. - Top - End - #47

Oh for pities sake, all you have to do is wait a month and see if V has any sudden mood swings or fits of bad temper....

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by Mapmaker View Post
    V would look no different to us, but he/she would be terribly upset by the whole ordeal, thinking it a terribly obvious violation of his/her person, and would rant about it in a long drawnout manner that still gives us no hint of his/her gender.
    I'm gonna have to go with this.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Tanhauser View Post
    Oh for pities sake, all you have to do is wait a month and see if V has any sudden mood swings or fits of bad temper....
    Heh. : "My noble elven metabolism is far more efficient than your own, and I need only concern myself with such base needs every few weeks or so." (#87)

Given that and the fact elves don't need to sleep, I'm betting that noble elven metabolism is more than up to the task of putting PMS in its place.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

V's had PMS for the entire comic strip.
    If s/he were human, that would make hir male, women only have it for a few days out of a month. But yes, being an elf, that might change things. :p

21. - Top - End - #51
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by skreweded View Post
    Unless that other person is also unaware of his/her own gender.
    I thought that was obvious^^
    Maybe they found each other because of the fact that they're uncertain of gender... hey, that would make a nice episode... and a very good "Awwwwwwwwwwww!" effect^^

The greenhorn

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I do get the feeling that OOTSWorld elves aren't as concerned about the gender of their partners as other races might be. Remember V's reaction (or lack thereof) to seeing Nale-as-Elan making out with Sabine-as-male-cop.

But no, I think V knows what she is, and by now has probably picked up on the fact that the rest of the group (at least the males) don't know. Belkar, at least, has made some pretty pointed comments right to her face, and V is showing herself to be the most insightful person in the group. I can't guess yet whether she's having fun with it, or if she simply doesn't care.
    Last edited by skinkatlarge; 2007-01-15 at 01:50 AM.