New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Default Warhammer and WH40K RPGs II: Burning Witches, Heretics, and Fate

This is the thread to discuss all things related to Fantasy Flight's line of Warhammer 40000 and Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying games, including Dark Heresy (Both editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War. Be it mechanical advice, campaign ideas, suggestions of which sourcebook to buy next, or even ideas for a 40k alphabet book, this is the place to talk about it. Please keep discussions primarily related to the wargames in their threads in the gaming (other) forum.

Useful links (PM me if you have one you want added and I didn't notice the mention in the thread)
    LeSwordfish's compilation of WFRP and 40k RPG games ITP: exactly what it says on the tin. PM LeSwordfish if you know of another pbp game on this forum that isn't on it.
    Fantasy Flight Game's directory of RPGS, including all 5 40k subsystems as well as Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay: You can find product descriptions as well as previews here, as well as free introductory adventures (Including a highly streamlined version of the system and pregenerated characters).
    The Previous thread
    Last edited by Squark; 2013-12-17 at 02:49 PM.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer and WH40K RPGs II: Burning Witches, Heretics, and Fate

Just to get the obligatory rules out of the way:
    No Female Space Marines, and No Squats.
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrTenko View Post
    TimeWizard, you've got to do something about all that Clarity you've got. It starts by just ruining jokes, but soon you'll be dreaming of electric sheep and stuff. It can't be good for you.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by TimeWizard View Post
    Just to get the obligatory rules out of the way:
    No Female Space Marines, and No Squats.
    While I'm not opposed to such things a rule, have they been a problem in the past? If not, I don't see a reason to pre-emptively ban them. If there was and there'd been a collective agreement I'm not aware of, though, I'll add it to the OP, of course.
    Last edited by Squark; 2013-12-04 at 10:59 AM.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Does anyone know if the Skaven are ever being planned to be introduced into the Warhammer RPG as a playable race? I loved the Children of the Horned Rat book for 2nd edition, but haven't heard anything about my ratkin since.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, new thread!

This sounds like the perfect opportunity to ask for help, opinions and suggestions for a related project of mine, here.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    While I'm not opposed to such things a rule, have they been a problem in the past? If not, I don't see a reason to pre-emptively ban them. If there was and there'd been a collective agreement I'm not aware of, though, I'll add it to the OP, of course.
    It's a joke from the Fluff thread, which is in turn an unspoken rule of the Games Workshop forums.
    TimeWizard, you've got to do something about all that Clarity you've got. It starts by just ruining jokes, but soon you'll be dreaming of electric sheep and stuff. It can't be good for you.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

I had a burst of inspiration on how to finish up my Dark Heresy arc. Since one player is mortally wounded, they'll retreat to the hospital. Since the Corrupted Scribe knows they're onto him, he'll send minions to kill them. They'll have to try to escape the hospital while playing a deadly game of cat and mouse. Also the children's plague that the players keep forgetting to do anything about is still rampant, so that can burst into glorious flower and fill the hospital with child-zombies. Presumably the cultists can hit the lights for that fun "Remind me again why our emergency lighting system only powers the red bulbs!?" atmosphere.

I think making the acolytes play Dead Space while evading a kill-team of heretics (Lead by the heavily-augmented techpriest who ran the paint factory) is a good plan.
    Last edited by shadow_archmagi; 2013-12-04 at 03:34 PM.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    I had a burst of inspiration on how to finish up my Dark Heresy arc. Since one player is mortally wounded, they'll retreat to the hospital. Since the Corrupted Scribe knows they're onto him, he'll send minions to kill them. They'll have to try to escape the hospital while playing a deadly game of cat and mouse. Also the children's plague that the players keep forgetting to do anything about is still rampant, so that can burst into glorious flower and fill the hospital with child-zombies. Presumably the cultists can hit the lights for that fun "Remind me again why our emergency lighting system only powers the red bulbs!?" atmosphere.

I think making the acolytes play Dead Space while evading a kill-team of heretics (Lead by the heavily-augmented techpriest who ran the paint factory) is a good plan.
    oh please tell me there's also a great unclean one in here somewhere to add to the plague-zombie apocalypse. it shocks me that despite close involvement with the inquisition dark heresy groups so rarely get an exterminatus situation.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    Presumably the cultists can hit the lights for that fun "Remind me again why our emergency lighting system only powers the red bulbs!?" atmosphere.
    Fun fact: Red lights are used in military situations because they damage your night vision very little: if you go from a white-lit battleship interior to a unlit exterior your eyes have to adjust: with red lights this adjustment is far less.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Fun fact: Red lights are used in military situations because they damage your night vision very little: if you go from a white-lit battleship interior to a unlit exterior your eyes have to adjust: with red lights this adjustment is far less.
    This is also why red lights have commonly been used on the docks, as dockworkers and sailors often worked throughout the night, and is subsequently also the reason behind the name "Red Light District".
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    This is also why red lights have commonly been used on the docks, as dockworkers and sailors often worked throughout the night, and is subsequently also the reason behind the name "Red Light District".
    Huh, I can't imagine why the group of nine-year-olds i was in when i was told that didn't get given this little extra tidbit.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

I decided to make a backup character for RT in case my psyker gets killed, which considering his lack of armor is quite likely, and I felt like being a bit different. So I made a mutant. A Werewolf themed mutant.

Took the mutant background bit, paid the exp to pick and took Aberration for that wolfy look. Took an alternate Birthright (don't know if it was from a sourcebook or homebrew) that let me roll on the mutations table. Got Necrophage. Okay, the regen kind of fits the idea, as does the toughness and the raw meat thing. Spent my starting requisition on a xenograft to get natural weapon (Claws and Teeth). I wound up with this as a statline:

WS BS Str T Ag Int Per Will Fel
    50 25 62 70 60 18 50 30 7

That is after spending exp. I have a 70% chance to regain a wound each round. I can fully heal my 18 wounds from -8 wounds in about three minutes of narrative time.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

LeSwordfish - are you still interested in compiling the index of 40KRPG/WFRP games on these boards? Would be happy to supply links & banners for mine.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, but when my workload has diminished a little. Now is, i suppose, the time for other people to make suggestions on how that should be done.

15. - Top - End - #15

Kobold

So, as the DH2 beta continues, one of the questions that's come up is whether anything should be done about toughness.

Nameless, as toughness currently sits, it's exactly the same as armor except it can't be penetrated, which means it's actually better than armor in a lot of ways (also, it's easier to get 60 toughness and throw on some Unnatural than it is to get 12 Armor.)

What are some alternative ways that Toughness might be worked?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So its exactly the same as in the original?

17. - Top - End - #17

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Tehnar View Post
    So its exactly the same as in the original?
    So far, yes, DH2 is essentially DH being brought to the standards of OW

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Yes, but when my workload has diminished a little. Now is, i suppose, the time for other people to make suggestions on how that should be done.
    I was just picturing a (probably spoilered) list of current and completed games in the first post. That's if Squark's willing to curate it.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Has anyone ever made a character who was incredibly bad at damage dealing despite being intended to be party muscle?

The werewolf mutant I've made is surprisingly bad at it without gear or anything to make his natural weapon attacks non-primitive. As far as I can tell the best way I can fight anything is by running up to it and pulling the pin on a frag grenade before trying to hug them. I can soak it and regen, most enemies can't. It's not what I envisioned for the character but I expect it'll wind up happening someday. Or I could just grab a chainsword, but that would be selling out my concept.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I never intended him to do much damage, but my first Dark Heresy character was a biomancy/divination psyker, and we started at the ascenscion level. After a few introductory combats, bio lightning didn't do anything anymore, but he turned into a resident healer with seal wounds.

21. - Top - End - #21

If you have two weapon weilder, gunslinger, and hip shooter, can you make 2 pistol shots in a move?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

According to the DH errata yes: "If you have the Hip Shooting and Two Weapon Wielder talents and are armed with two pistols, you may make single attacks with each weapon while also making a Full Move action."

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ff...rrata-v3.0.pdf
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    Has anyone ever made a character who was incredibly bad at damage dealing despite being intended to be party muscle?

The werewolf mutant I've made is surprisingly bad at it without gear or anything to make his natural weapon attacks non-primitive. As far as I can tell the best way I can fight anything is by running up to it and pulling the pin on a frag grenade before trying to hug them. I can soak it and regen, most enemies can't. It's not what I envisioned for the character but I expect it'll wind up happening someday. Or I could just grab a chainsword, but that would be selling out my concept.
    Find a way to get Improved Natural Weapons. Grafts or something. It won't get you AP, but it does make them not primitive.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

See if your GM will allow you to get your natural weapons monod?
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Or get Lightning Claws surgically grafted onto you.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Lightning Claws are a pretty cool idea, actually, and I think the argument could be made that they fit the theme.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Or get Lightning Claws surgically grafted onto you.
    While being some kind of werewolf tech-barbarian with power fields around my claws sounds fantastic my plan is to get deadly natural weapons through grafting. I'm one of the two better players when it comes to making effective PCs in my group so I set myself limits, in this ones case it's no weapons or armour, minimum of tech. That and the necrophage mutation means I need to eat a lot.

Though when I showed the GM the stats for the character he wondered how in the world I could manage to play something with Int 18 and Fellowship 7. I told him my plan was to be like the stereotypical D&D Barbarian but dumber, more violent and more like a pet.

EDIT: Typos, so many typos.
    Last edited by Grim Portent; 2013-12-06 at 06:56 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Has anyone ever tried running WFRP 2e with DH rules? Dark Heresy seems to be slightly more robust than WFRP, in my limited experience, and WFRP is rather clunky.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

I've decided to make gifts for my RT party in the form of servitors programmed to serve them. I know what to make for four of them but I'm a bit stumped by what to make for the last two.

For our captain I intend to make a Valet. I feel he could do with a lobotomised butler.

For our pilot I intend to make a co-pilot to help him with routine flight and shuttle runs.

For one of our seneschals I'm going to make a performing servitor as he plays musical instruments a lot.

Our other seneschal is asking me to make him into a cyborg drug fueled melee warrior, so I think I'll make him some kind of murder-servitor.

Our gunslinging crewmember and our navigator I'm not sure about. Neither has demonstrated any hobbies or pastimes. Though the former did nearly kill himself while weightlifting in the cargo hold so I may make him a servitor to help with that. Not a clue what to make for a navigator at all though.
    Last edited by Grim Portent; 2013-12-08 at 04:05 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Make navigator a dog familliar. They are lonely buch.
    Youth and strenght alvays lose to age and treachery.