New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: My Little Pony LXXIV: Hats Are Technology!

Quote Originally Posted by Juntao112 View Post
    Japan? Korea? Italy?
    Far simpler, Mercedes-Benz are after all a German brand. Great cars, great beer.

Unless you're looking for something off the beaten path?
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers

2. - Top - End - #392
    Titan in the Playground

I've been really enjoying this fic:

Trixie vs Equestria

It's not finished quite yet, but it does update with gratifying frequency. All the characters are really well done. And, you know, it has Trixie and Luna, who are both best ponies!

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    And yet, I've never heard that the first two episodes were bad "Because fanfic X did it better."
    Well yeah but those episodes are actually good, give or take an Applejack cliff scene.

We've seen old methods of letter delivery and manual labor sitting right next to electrically powered megaphones.
    And resolving it's schizo-tech issues is one of the many things the show needs to improve on.

We've seen small children regularly making their way through the Everfree Forest by themselves, despite the supposed dangers.
    We all know Applebloom is cray cray.

We've seen pony-eatings monsters lying around in bogs that ponies visit and consider "safe".
    That episode was terrible anyway.

And this is stuff we've seen in Season 1, not some new development where a particular writer isn't living up to the predesired level of quality.
    Generally shows should improve over time.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Titan in the Playground

The findings from the UK investigation into the horsemeat scandel earlier in the year suggests that food crime is not only A Thing, but a big enough Thing (with organised crime) to warrent a special task force to be set up to deal with it.

So apparently, Northern Spy being a "food inspector in the murky world of culinary espionage" is actually not as quite far-fetched and silly as we might first have thought and has some grounding in reality.

The mind boggles.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2013-12-13 at 05:14 AM.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ettin in the Playground

Sidestepping all the obviously serious(?) discussion to drop my own opinions on the season.

Also post of the month (and the month before, and the month before, before.):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Princess Twilight Sparkle - Simply fun to watch, Discord was actually relevant in a clever, very Discord way. Plot wasn't bad, though I am questioning why the Princesses can get kidnapped from the castle by tentacle(!) plants without anyone noticing. Still small enough plot hole in the category of "Convenient Book that Describes Cure" that it can be overlooked.

Castle Mania - Contrived plot, but overall not bad. All the mane six antics in the castle was quite enjoyable to watch. Not much of a story, but like Lesson Zero, it seemed to be aimed at providing the Mane Six a way to narrate their morals at the end of each episode. (Can't write letters to Celestia now.)

Daring Don't - Just... ew. Very terrible on hindsight, mostly relating to the shallow story, arc and all the unpleasant implication to the canon. Like MMDW, it is superficially enjoyable to watch, but this is one episode I might put on "Do Not Rewatch" list.

Also, Rainbow Dash, why you useless for 80% of the episode? No, the kitty face you made do not make up for the sheer fail.

Now, I go!
    Last edited by Grif; 2013-12-13 at 05:35 AM.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Banned

"Why did you name me Sunshine Ladybug Moonchaser?"

"Because you come from a long line of wizards, young lady, and no one has ever awoken because they were Martha."

7. - Top - End - #397
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    The closest I ever got to something that one could call historical fiction would be those old Sharpe things starring Sean Bean. Or Inglorious Basterds at a stretch, I guess? Suffice to say that even the former (which has at least passing familiarity with actual events, I presume) boils down to being an original creation starring original characters having interesting, original adventures and wearing plenty of stubble.

I know very little about proper historical fiction in general, so my opinion on the matter is pretty undeveloped, but I see plenty of conceptual space between the idea of writing about real people and the real things they did, verus the idea of telling a story about a character someone else wrote stories about. I can't say I can address the idea in any more depth as such though.

The thing about the difference between fan-fiction and derivative fiction of some other arbitrarily chosen type is that that's just it. It's just a matter of definition most of all. That said, derivative fiction like the star-wars EU is a good example of literature that I increasingly have no time for. I don't read star-wars books anymore, I have no urge to delve into the black library stuff and the idea of being forced to read D&D tie-in books is enough to make me break out into a cold sweat.

All personal opinion based, you understand, but I tend to assume judging by what I have heard and the few non-thrawn Star-Wars EU books I had the misfortune of reading, that this kind of fiction written on behalf of some larger, very corporate franchise simply tends to be written work. Either generally of dubious quality or simply feeling like it is lacking that spark that comes from writing your own story.
    Well from the few historical novels I've read they basically work like this, they take a real life scenario (like the Crusades for example), take historical figures (Like Alexander the Great), take a rough interpretation of what life was like at that time, right a story using the above elements+ extra stuff the author makes up. It really is similar to fanfiction.

That's kinda my point. A lot of those works are basically glorified fanfiction, but they don't get the same 'inherently less worthwhile' attitude fanfiction gets. Or should all derivative works have the same value or lack there of that fanfiction has?

Well let's take Life of Pi for example. Famous book, won awards, and a really good read. Did you know it was based off of another novel called Max and the Cats? They did end up as very different stories, but you could certainly say that Life of Pi is derivative of Max and the Cats. Does that mean Life of Pi is worth less?

Tiki you missed the big part of my last post. How are you judging the value of a piece of literature to art and the world?

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    That's largely why exceptions don't matter. If there is no "right" answer (subjective) then only points of convergence hold significance. If you only like 1% then as you admit your own tastes are simply too divergent for anyone to pay attention too.

Those exceptions matter to you... if they don't to me where does that leave things?

The ironic thing about abandoning a right answer (objective) is that it leaves only popularity as objective. Since fandom though is never broadly popular it being ascribed importance can only be limiting a show to a narrow subsection of people who less have tastes but highly specific fetishes... or annihilation from low ratings outright when that narrowest slice of people isn't enough for the (quite right) bean counters.
    The only things objective are scientific facts. Everything else is subjective. And no popularity isn't an objective trait of measurement either. Subjectivity comes into play when you are deciding which 'group' you use to measure how many people like it. Or do you go off the total population of the world in which case, yes everything is crap. Perhaps you go off of how many people have actually viewed the work in question, in which case many fanfics are actually 'objectively good'. Do you go off the intended audience perhaps? How about the fandom in question? All fandoms? Total population of every country that has at least some members of the audience? Where you draw the line is very subjective, but you better make sure you use the same line for everything you criticize or else you are just being a hypocrite.

Also I think you are misunderstanding what I mean when I'm saying that exceptions matter. What I'm saying is that there is no type of fiction, genera, category or style that is universally beloved by all, and has every single piece of art being an amazing masterpiece. Everything good is an exception, and if you are saying exceptions don't matter, then you have to apply it to all categories equally. Not simply dismiss fanfiction exceptions as worthless simply because you have a prejudice against fandoms.

Also yes, taste and quality of work is subjective. I might not like the Twilight movies, but that doesn't mean lots of people don't enjoy them, and just because their point of view is different then mine, doesn't make their opinions less valid.

And when two people disagree about how good a work is? Ideally they calmly explain to each other about what they liked and what they disliked and why. If they can't come to a consensus of the quality of the work then they agree to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Sidestepping all the obviously serious(?) discussion to drop my own opinions on the season.

Also post of the month (and the month before, and the month before, before.):
    Spoiler
    Show

Daring Don't - Just... ew. Very terrible on hindsight, mostly relating to the shallow story, arc and all the unpleasant implication to the canon. Like MMDW, it is superficially enjoyable to watch, but this is one episode I might put on "Do Not Rewatch" list.

Also, Rainbow Dash, why you useless for 80% of the episode? No, the kitty face you made do not make up for the sheer fail.

Now, I go!
    Mind expanding on that? I don't see what the unpleasant implication to the canon might be.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Mind expanding on that? I don't see what the unpleasant implication to the canon might be.
    I might not really be clear, but here goes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A lot of it has to do with establishing that a) Daring Do is real and b) her adventures are therefore, real.

I guess the most important point for me was the question why does Daring Do solves these problem by her own lonesome instead of relying on authorities. Or any other help for that matter. And the implication that Equestria is that lawless enough that permits supervillains like Azu-whatever he is, exists in the first place. (One would imagine Celestia might get called in for this.) I get they're trying for an Indiana Jones' like adventure, but even Indy Jones had help and usually solves the case on his own because no one else would believe him. (Ark of Covenant, Dr Jones?)

The fact that Daring Do actively writes these books based on her own adventures... well, I don't know. Leaves kinda a bad taste in my mouth? (A.K. Yearling? Really?) Hm. Then again, I have seen this plot point being used in a DD story I pre-read so maybe it wasn't so bad.

It also didn't help that it ruined the headcanon that Daring Do as described by Rainbow Dash in the hospital episode was a self-insert of herself into the story, and not the actual Daring Do. This might be a bigger factor than I thought it would. At the very least, it kinda spoiled the impression that the writers were subtle enough to imply that it might be all Rainbow's imagination.

Incoherent? Perhaps. But eh, I'm probably lacking sleep as well.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    "Why did you name me Sunshine Ladybug Moonchaser?"

"Because you come from a long line of wizards, young lady, and no one has ever awoken because they were Martha."
    David Mitchell is one of our great national treasures.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ettin in the Playground

I might not really be clear, but here goes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A lot of it has to do with establishing that a) Daring Do is real and b) her adventures are therefore, real.

I guess the most important point for me was the question why does Daring Do solves these problem by her own lonesome instead of relying on authorities. Or any other help for that matter. And the implication that Equestria is that lawless enough that permits supervillains like Azu-whatever he is, exists in the first place. (One would imagine Celestia might get called in for this.) I get they're trying for an Indiana Jones' like adventure, but even Indy Jones had help and usually solves the case on his own because no one else would believe him. (Ark of Covenant, Dr Jones?)

The fact that Daring Do actively writes these books based on her own adventures... well, I don't know. Leaves kinda a bad taste in my mouth? (A.K. Yearling? Really?) Hm. Then again, I have seen this plot point being used in a DD story I pre-read so maybe it wasn't so bad.

It also didn't help that it ruined the headcanon that Daring Do as described by Rainbow Dash in the hospital episode was a self-insert of herself into the story, and not the actual Daring Do. This might be a bigger factor than I thought it would. At the very least, it kinda spoiled the impression that the writers were subtle enough to imply that it might be all Rainbow's imagination.

Incoherent? Perhaps. But eh, I'm probably lacking sleep as well.
    Way past Tuesday, so I don't see any reason to keep this spoilered.

A:"Relying on authorities" : Celesta,Luna,Cadence, Shining Armor, and the mane cast all have much more important things to do then deal with a D-lister like Azu-haufhguiweahgauwhgiuashguiahgwe. That leaves the more standard royal guard, and those guys suck. Also, as I believe Daring Don't mentions, her kind of work involves a lot of very nasty items that as few people as possible should know the exact details of.
    B:"Rainbow Dash's Imagination": IIRC, she also looked like that on the cover, so unless Rainbow Dash took much nastier injury to the head then that episode showed, Daring's appearance isn't just based on Rainbow Dash projecting herself.
    C: "Equestira's lawlessness": If Pinkie's trail was any indication they were waaaaaaaaaay beyond most of what we see in the show, and Daring wouldn't have made her house there if it wasn't pretty remote.
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2013-12-13 at 07:23 AM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

11. - Top - End - #401
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HamHam View Post
    And resolving it's schizo-tech issues is one of the many things the show needs to improve on.
    Curious, I find that part of its charm. But then, Thief of Time and Going Postal, which lampshade much the same issue in two different ways, are two of my favorite Discworld books.
    Level 4 Bibliophile/Level 3 Bard, working toward the Bibliomancer Prestige Class

Brandon Sanderson recommender... In The Playground!

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerlord View Post
    Way past Tuesday, so I don't see any reason to keep this spoilered.

A:"Relying on authorities" : Celesta,Luna,Cadence, Shining Armor, and the mane cast all have much more important things to do then deal with a D-lister like Azu-haufhguiweahgauwhgiuashguiahgwe. That leaves the more standard royal guard, and those guys suck. Also, as I believe Daring Don't mentions, her kind of work involves a lot of very nasty items that as few people as possible should know the exact details of.
    B:"Rainbow Dash's Imagination": IIRC, she also looked like that on the cover, so unless Rainbow Dash took much nastier injury to the head then that episode showed, Daring's appearance isn't just based on Rainbow Dash projecting herself.
    C: "Equestira's lawlessness": If Pinkie's trail was any indication they were waaaaaaaaaay beyond most of what we see in the show, and Daring wouldn't have made her house there if it wasn't pretty remote.
    Eh, I fully admit I might be belly-aching at this point. Also keeping it spoilered because I figured you guys wouldn't want to rehash the same old arguments all over again.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Colossus in the Playground

Yes.

Anyone with a word processor can produce a fanfic. And I dare venture most people with computers do have one. And everyone has at least some command of English presuming they interact online in anything other then say voice chat.

If you can comment in ponythread you can write a fanfic.

Versus say having often expensive editing software? Or being able to draw? Or play a musical instrument? Yeah, not everyone can do that it has a higher threshold to get started.

Nope.

Your so up defending fanfics you missed what I was talking about with nature of other fan works and completely missed my intent there.

Oh get off the high horse.

This is the exact sort of removal from reality that has driven my views.

You wanna read fanfic, well hey not like I'm going to fly over to England while smuggling a gun so I can hold it to your head. But you sure are going to hear me when I speak in public about how terrible they all are. No exceptions don't matter, that's why they are exceptions.

But you have aptly demonstrated the exact corrosive effects I'm really talking about. That intellectually incestuous behavior pattern (preacher and choir) creating a closed circle of self importance that shows the etymology of "fan" is indeed spot on.

I'd despise it if fanfics actually were better then their source material.
    Soras, pull your head out of your ass. These are the worst arguments I've ever seen posted in Ponythread.

I'm not going to break down this down into an argument like some other people have done. I'm just going to extract some key thoughts:

Versus say having often expensive editing software? Or being able to draw? Or play a musical instrument? Yeah, not everyone can do that it has a higher threshold to get started.
    Hahaha, look at this guy, saying that there's a higher threshold to get started on art than writing.

No exceptions don't matter, that's why they are exceptions.
    You're right, good stories in video games/children's cartoons/theatre are exceptions and not the rule, therefore nothing of cultural worth shall ever emerge from a video games/children's cartoons/theatre.

This is the exact sort of removal from reality that has driven my views.
    I met a guy who liked Rock&Roll and was also a creepy weirdo. As a result I avoided Rock&Roll like the plague for seven years. I eventually pulled my head out of my ass and realised that I was able to like the things I wanted to like without caring about the structure of any fandom surrounding the thing.

That intellectually incestuous behavior pattern (preacher and choir) creating a closed circle of self importance that shows the etymology of "fan" is indeed spot on.
    Paradise Lost, Good Omens, The Chronicles of Narnia and many other works are fanfictions of the Bible.

This is literally how culture works.

I'd despise it if fanfics actually were better then their source material.
    Why?
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2013-12-13 at 08:20 AM.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Spamalot in the Playground

Why the unicorns will never rule Equestria.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Doom View Post
    I suppose. It would make a certain sort of sense that the effect would spread;
    Yeah. While it's looking like the Sun and Moon are not the usual celestial bodies we're accustomed to, I'd hope that the basic laws of thermodynamics still apply to pony world.

Nahhhhh, Doofenshmirtz is worst villain. Ahuizotl can settle for distant second.
    Wow, that really captures him well. Heh, nice cutie mark. Okay, I accept your argument. Doof is the best worst villain. Almost makes me want to do a second Doof_x_Pony crossover comic.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    I can do an impressive "Woop woop woop."
    Awesome. Mine isn't that good, but I know how to do that weird floor "spin walk" that Homer Simpson does sometimes. Got to pivot on your shoulder just right or it'll hurt though.

Quote Originally Posted by Juntao112 View Post
    Japan? Korea? Italy?
    Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    I would have guessed Germany.
    I dunno. I left it open-ended since I'm no connoisseur of beer (my wife joked about looking up some obscure auto manufacturers). Since 99% of the time I'm the designated driver, I've only been able to drink if I visit my dad. He usually just has something domestic (like Bud light). Or from Venezuela (how isthis pronounced?).

Berry Punch
    Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by DigoDragon; 2013-12-13 at 08:23 AM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post

Yeah. While it's looking like the Sun and Moon are not the usual celestial bodies we're accustomed to, I'd hope that the basic laws of thermodynamics still apply to pony world.

Wow, that really captures him well. Heh, nice cutie mark. Okay, I accept your argument. Doof is the best worst villain. Almost makes me want to do a second Doof_x_Pony crossover comic.

Awesome. Mine isn't that good, but I know how to do that weird floor "spin walk" that Homer Simpson does sometimes. Got to pivot on your shoulder just right or it'll hurt though.

I dunno. I left it open-ended since I'm no connoisseur of beer (my wife joked about looking up some obscure auto manufacturers). Since 99% of the time I'm the designated driver, I've only been able to drink if I visit my dad. He usually just has something domestic (like Bud light). Or from Venezuela (how isthis pronounced?).

Berry Punch
    Spoiler
    Show

Ah, gotcha. Well, hopefully whatever you get is either good or entertainingly weird.
    Also, Venezuela is a Spanish-based word, so it's actually pretty straightforward. Its pronounced Ven-ez-wayla.
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

Current Projects: Dragon: the Inheritance

16. - Top - End - #406

Also, Venezuela is a Spanish-based word, so it's actually pretty straightforward. Its pronounced Ven-ez-wayla.
    Err, I meant pronouncing their beers. I guess I wasn't clear about that.
    My bad.

(My step-mom/mom-in-law(?) is from Venezuela so I got that part down).
    Digo Dragon - Artist

17. - Top - End - #407
    Titan in the Playground

Phone posting on low battery, so no quote dissecting.

Historical fiction;
    I don't really know about it. I suspect that I might actually believe it to be, to some degree less worthy than fiction not so strongly based on existing events. It depends though. If you are simply recounting what happened, but with a romance sub-plot built in? That's not fan fiction, but neither is it particularly important culturally. A book examining a time period or series of events with serious intentions (rather than simply to avoid coming up with your own plot) could be more important, but I guess its more getting into uh, historical/educational/documentary kind of value?

Which is to say, how am I judging value? Nebulously and in poorly defined terms.

And again, when it comes to a lot of these "x was basically fanfiction of y" claims, I'd like to reiterate that far as my own definition goes, being an amateur work is inherantly part and parcel of being fan fiction. If you are talking about something published, then its really moving into being something else, some other kind of derivative fiction/parody/homage.

Which if it started out as fanfiction could get very confusingly muddy.

18. - Top - End - #408

So basically, all unicorns are Rarity?

Eh. Once I know that the sun and moon don't work the way they ought to, I tend to discard most notions of their world being like ours. Besides, those rings are magic, they don't need to follow rules that the writers have not imposed on them.

...you did a first one?

...may I have a link, please?
    I run the Five Gems campaign, where ponies, griffons, and changlings search for five mystical gems to unlock the vault to the mighty Crown of the Griffon King.
    IC thread

OOC thread

If you like DC, Marvel, and Worm, check out Invincible, wherein Emma Barnes triggers with the Kryptonian package.
    If you enjoy Self-Inserts, Worm, and/or Mistborn, check out Preservation.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ogre in the Playground

Err, I meant pronouncing their beers. I guess I wasn't clear about that.
    My bad.

(My step-mom/mom-in-law(?) is from Venezuela so I got that part down).
    Ah, yes. It probably could have been worded better.
    Still though, Spanish might be the single easiest language to pronounce, once you know the rules. Because unlike English and many other languages, they don't break their own spelling rules.
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

Current Projects: Dragon: the Inheritance

20. - Top - End - #410

Ah, yes. It probably could have been worded better.
    Still though, Spanish might be the single easiest language to pronounce, once you know the rules. Because unlike English and many other languages, they don't break their own spelling rules.
    Having taken two years of High School Spanish, I can agree with that. The conjugations were what killed me, but the pronunciation was relatively easy.
    I run the Five Gems campaign, where ponies, griffons, and changlings search for five mystical gems to unlock the vault to the mighty Crown of the Griffon King.
    IC thread

OOC thread

If you like DC, Marvel, and Worm, check out Invincible, wherein Emma Barnes triggers with the Kryptonian package.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ogre in the Playground

Pffffffff, that's a great comic.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Kd7sov View Post
    Curious, I find that part of its charm. But then, Thief of Time and Going Postal, which lampshade much the same issue in two different ways, are two of my favorite Discworld books.
    Sure but if you are going to do it deliberately you need an at least internal justification for it and consistent logic.

Not have things like a train that is in one episode pulled by ponies and in another actually works.

23. - Top - End - #413

Quote Originally Posted by HamHam View Post
    Sure but if you are going to do it deliberately you need an at least internal justification for it and consistent logic.

Not have things like a train that is in one episode pulled by ponies and in another actually works.
    Engine breakdown.
    IC thread

OOC thread

24. - Top - End - #414
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Daring Don't - Just... ew. Very terrible on hindsight, mostly relating to the shallow story, arc and all the unpleasant implication to the canon.
    Ah, fun! I'd like to talk about the episode in the thread a bit, for a change in pace.
    I've actually been thinking about it for awhile, so don't think that I'm picking on you individually.

I guess the most important point for me was the question why does Daring Do solves these problem by her own lonesome instead of relying on authorities. Or any other help for that matter. And the implication that Equestria is that lawless enough that permits supervillains like Azu-whatever he is, exists in the first place. (One would imagine Celestia might get called in for this.)
    Interesting. What makes you think she doesn't, or hasn't? After all, Ahuizotl has managed to gather up 12 other golden rings. It's probably not unreasonable to assume that at least some of them were inside Equestria, guarded by Equestrian ponies and forewarned by Daring ahead of time. And yet, the only ring he hasn't taken was the one that Daring herself had. She's clearly doing a better job that the official authorities so far, and Daring already admits that she doesn't work well with others.

Local Equestrian authorities tend not to come off as looking that good anyways.

As for Celestia not getting involved, I'm fine with that. It fits the idea that Celestia rules a country because she's good at ruling a country, not because she has the ability to eradicate entire cities by dropping solar flares on them. In fact, canon pretty well confirms that Celestia isn't really that powerful anyway, instead needing to rely on magic artifacts or wise decisions to get things done. And, to be frank, that makes her a lot more interesting than the God-Empress that the fandom loves turning her into.

It's the plot point for Sherlock Holmes, so the idea of an author (or associate) putting adventures into print is literally older the television.

It also didn't help that it ruined the headcanon that Daring Do as described by Rainbow Dash in the hospital episode was a self-insert of herself into the story, and not the actual Daring Do. This might be a bigger factor than I thought it would.
    Well, "Daring Do" from Read It an Weep is actually rather different from the Daring Do in Daring Don't. In the former, she really is very Rainbow Dash-like, pretty much just shrugging her shoulders and plowing ahead when the book's narrative doesn't say otherwise. (See: taking the Sapphire Stone) In the latter, she's much more different than Rainbow, more crass and inconsiderate.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

25. - Top - End - #415
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I wrote "Beer imported from countries known for making cars" on my Amazon wishlist.
    mmmm, Sapporo is my favorite
    and i am the Element of Booze....
    Last edited by otakuryoga; 2013-12-13 at 11:45 AM.
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

26. - Top - End - #416

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    mmmm, Sapporo is my favorite
    and i am the Element of Booze....
    how exactly do Ponythreaders go about getting elements?
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ogre in the Playground

You ask for 'em, and you get 'em. I'm the element of making new characters!

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm a twisted deviant that gets perverse pleasure from this. Its a form of entertainment for me. I'm not sure if I've been shocked in this conversation... but if it was it was a disingenuous position.

I don't expect success (I'm a heretic arguing with fan-atics here!) I'm just dropping some seeds while I munch on most of them for my own satisfaction.
    So what you are essentially saying is that you are trolling?

Because I really can't read that any other way. Really can't. And that is very annoying to me, Soras, because I would dearly like to think that you are a person who has discussions for the sake of expanding his knowledge and to create fun not only for himself, but also other people. The reason I am getting from this response is one that I just don't like.

Also, after reading through this discussion-

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    *Stuff*
    What he said. Only without the more patronising parts. But still, what he said. Because it's true. Wish I had been able to read through all this earlier to say it myself, though.

Goddamnit, Thanqol.

...you did a first one?

I second this notion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    how exactly do Ponythreaders go about getting elements?
    Patience, and being noticeable in some way. The rest sorts itself out.

I really wish I was the element of something.

Maybe the element of ooze and abominations against all things natural? Naw, that's too long. I'll shorten it.
    Last edited by Theoboldi; 2013-12-13 at 12:08 PM.
    Always look for white text. Always.
    That's how you do it! Have a cookie!
    Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

29. - Top - End - #419

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    Is the "element of Making *yay* up as I go along" already taken?
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #420

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Phone posting on low battery, so no quote dissecting.
    Phones are inherently low on battery.

...you did a first one?

Fluttershy, I know what we're going to do today! Eight pages in total & they should be interlinked.
    This is probably one of my earliest pony works.

Having taken two years of High School Spanish, I can agree with that. The conjugations were what killed me, but the pronunciation was relatively easy.
    Oh yes, I certainly agree. Sadly, despite my heritage as a Purto Rican, my Spanish is extremely rusty, especially with speaking it. I can somewhat understand it well enough to get by, but none of my local friends know Spanish so I'm kinda stuck without much practice.

...well, I suppose there's the Telemundo channel.

Engine breakdown.
    That was my assumption too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    I'm the element of Dungeon Mastering... which is mostly about puns, encounter theory, experience payouts, and being evil in a low-cost but fulfilling way. Helps to be short too.

Also, the D&D cartoon Dungeon Master was totally a brony.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2013-12-13 at 12:29 PM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist