New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: My Little Pony LXXIV: Hats Are Technology!

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
    Spoiler: S4E4 thing
    Show
    So, remember the Equestria map poster they did? You know that red line travel sequence from the episode?

I love it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wait Ahizohtl and the Aztec ponies's fortress was in Equestria Canada?

Are we sure this valley doesn't need the heat? Looking at the jungles it's probably those rings are the only things protecting the eco-system. (After screwing it up, but you should at least stay consistent with those things.)
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers

2. - Top - End - #182
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravian View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wait Ahizohtl and the Aztec ponies's fortress was in Equestria Canada?

Are we sure this valley doesn't need the heat? Looking at the jungles it's probably those rings are the only things protecting the eco-system. (After screwing it up, but you should at least stay consistent with those things.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think the real lesson here is that Pinkie Pie has the hookup on some weird paint. I mean she painted all the way to Canada with one can

Also semi-spoilery thing for our definition of episode stuff that needs spoiling
    Spoiler
    Show
    It seems like this episode is making the fandom go Rarity all over the place. It's either ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS or The. Worst. Possible. Thing!
    Last edited by MCerberus; 2013-12-09 at 12:28 AM.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

3. - Top - End - #183
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gadora View Post
    Spoiler: Curious response. Not spoilery in and of itself, but it is a response to such and the response shall be spoilery as well.
    Show
    What Harry Potter references?
    Spoiler: Daring Don't
    Show
    Daring's pen name "A.K. Yearling" apparently refers to Joanne Rowling's pen name.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Barbarian in the Playground

Show
    So, remember the Equestria map poster they did? You know that red line travel sequence from the episode?

I love it.
    Holy moly, they followed it. That's great.

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think the real lesson here is that Pinkie Pie has the hookup on some weird paint. I mean she painted all the way to Canada with one can
    She probably has several cans in hammerspace. Wherever she stows her party cannon.
    Blargh slaves crystals crystals blargh zimmerwald1915. Internets: 3
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Fedora View Post
    Dirtytabs, Dirtytabs
    Friendly Ponythread Dirtytabs
    To her friends she's a gem
    She makes lovely art for them
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    I don't always save pony images, but when I do, they're usually DirtyTabs.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    +100 Exp for Dirtytabs.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Theoboldi View Post
    Well, I was actually just looking for an excuse to guillotine someone. I know that 50% of ponythread regulars probably wouldn't die from that.

Besides, guillotines are not known for being the tools of filthy aristocrats like you. They serve justice for the people. Like me.
    Oh really? Then how you explain all those Terror victims being a commoners and some leadership of the Revolutions.
    And some culture didn't view children and adult sleeping together as negative things, such as Asian (especially in extended family) and Sweden (Sweden one is actually what I know from Anders loves Maria but some of it are weird by my asian values ).
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Show
    Daring's pen name "A.K. Yearling" apparently refers to Joanne Rowling's pen name.
    Spoiler
    Show
    So any pony version of Author names, such as Robert Jordan (so long that he didn't finish it in his graves), Brian Sanderson (magic, magic, world building, and finishing Wheel of Time) and JRR. Tolkien (You Cannot Pass!)
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

7. - Top - End - #187
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Show
    Show
    That's kind of a stretch... I took it as another gratuitous horse name, actually. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yearling_%28horse%29

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Spoiler: S4E4: More thoughts!
    Show
    I suppose I'm also a little disappointed that Rainbow Dash wasn't just self-inserting herself as Daring Do, and that the two of them really do look alike, but I think that's just me being petty. Did we actually see Daring Do on the book cover before this one? Because if we did, then that renders that complaint completely moot anyway.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes. On the front cover of the Daring Do book that Twilight gives to Rainbow Dash when she was hospitalized.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Hey guys, haven't been on here since I got hired at Yahoo!. With the new season coming out and everything I thought I might reemerge (has it really been 5 threads since I posted??)

Been loving the new season so far, the opening episodes were amazing. I particularly liked Discord in it, as we see his millennial old plan working and him just sitting back and watching. Anyone else find it odd that the main characters have been so much more dominant than they were in season 3? Almost like being back in season 1.

Show
    I wasn't really into this episode as much as the previous three, but Rainbow Dash did deserve a new episode so there you go.

10. - Top - End - #190

Show
    That's kind of a stretch... I took it as another gratuitous horse name, actually. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yearling_%28horse%29
    Show
    It's too close to be a coincidence. Aside from a TV Guide article which doesn't really cite a source, one of the writers kind of confirms.
    Blargh slaves crystals crystals blargh zimmerwald1915. Internets: 3
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Fedora View Post
    Dirtytabs, Dirtytabs
    Friendly Ponythread Dirtytabs
    To her friends she's a gem
    She makes lovely art for them
    I don't always save pony images, but when I do, they're usually DirtyTabs.
    +100 Exp for Dirtytabs.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Spamalot in the Playground

Show
    S4 Ep4 Florida North
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, I had noticed that on my second viewing of the episode. Seems that map is now canon. So... there we go. The new Rand McNally standard to go by. I guess. Well at least it kind of explains why sweltering heat would be a problem in that valley. That there is like... way up in British Columbia/Alberta border.

Part of me feels the map is kinda small though.
    But then again it could be that this is a simplistic map from the olden days of cartography.

Spoiler
    Show
    S4 Ep4 Sherwin Williams
    Spoiler
    Show
    Apparently Pinkie took their motto of "Cover the Earth" too literally.

That's good, will have to save it for tonight. I wish he'd review Magic Duel at some point. Curious to know his opinion of this followup episode.
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2013-12-09 at 08:09 AM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

12. - Top - End - #192

NecromancerGirl

Spoiler: Curious response. Not spoilery in and of itself, but it is a response to such and the response shall be spoilery as well.
    Show
    What Harry Potter references?
    Spoiler: response
    Show

The nom de plume, as mentioned. I also assumed Rainbow Dash and Twilight going back and forth about the events of the various books to be a nod in that direction. That one is probably on me, the more I think about it. I've never read the HP books, but I see that type of conversation between people when they're discussing them, and I don't really see it when people discuss other fiction.
    The first chapter of The Book of Svarog

“Everything has its time and everything dies.” ~ The Doctor (Doctor Who)

“The facts of nature are settled within the field of human argument.” ~ The Golem- What Everyone Should Know about Science by Harry Collins and Trevor Pinch.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

*nods* It did seem weak.
    Yeah apparently someone forgot that an amv hell is not supposed to just be a collection of funny videos.

(Also the "funny" was often in question. A lot of it was stale six months ago)

Show

I love it.
    Hmm I believe this supports my theory on Flat Equestria.
    Last edited by Soras Teva Gee; 2013-12-09 at 08:45 AM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Compare the two.

J K Rowling
    A K Yearling

It's pretty explictly a nod, since Daring Doo was itself pastiche of Harry Potter via the title format ([Name] and the [Adjective Noun]. In fact, according to the show staff who said as much, in addition it was subconsciously also a nod to Amy Keating Rogars (AK)...
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2013-12-09 at 09:09 AM.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Yeah apparently someone forgot that an amv hell is not supposed to just be a collection of funny videos.
    I thought that was pretty much exactly what AMV Hell was.

I thought Anthologies 3 was okay. Some really good moments. Some boring stuff I skipped past.

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...since Daring Doo was itself pastiche of Harry Potter via the title format ([Name] and the [Adjective Noun].
    Spoiler: S4E4
    Show
    I think that was more a nod to Indiana Jones. Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom, Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade etc.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post

I thought Anthologies 3 was okay. Some really good moments. Some boring stuff I skipped past.

Spoiler: S4E4
    Show
    I think that was more a nod to Indiana Jones. Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom, Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade etc.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Daring Doo and the Sapphire Stone is the first book (HP and the Philospher's Stone...?) And in Read it and Weep was "Daring Doo and the Gryphon's Goblet"... Little bit close to "Goblet of Fire" to be entirely coincidental. I have no doubt if the show staff were going for IJ direct title spoofs, they'd have done something closer to the film titles.

You can, after all, spoof two things at once (and indeed it's often better if you do. E.g. Reboot, quite frequently...)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2013-12-09 at 09:22 AM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post

The keyword in my statement was "just"

An amv hell is a collection of funny videos, it is not JUST that. It is also its own medley presentation that most flow together into a connected whole. Ever listened too an album in order and felt like "yeah this song should go here" while you did, that's what is needed. Anthologies III failed in this regard.

A trend exacerbated by its nigh abandonment of actual pmv content for a "pony clip + random audio clip = comedy gold" formula. Many of which were rather lazily put together too.

Also I've watched most of the AMV Hells and I rarely felt like there was a joke I was missing even when I wasn't familiar with a source, because most of them were edited in such a way as to be just plain funny (generally through visual humor) not merely referentially funny.

I found myself bored with Anthologies III because I failed to engage with it as a work. Sure there's a few gems in there but so isolated it ceases to matter. It certainly didn't help that they also started in the same place as AMV Hell 0 which immediately set up the comparison of artistic technique in my mind. (what!? don't look at me like that.)

18. - Top - End - #198

Hmm I believe this supports my theory on Flat Equestria.
    How so?

The keyword in my statement was "just"
    Spoiler
    Show
    An amv hell is a collection of funny videos, it is not JUST that. It is also its own medley presentation that most flow together into a connected whole. Ever listened too an album in order and felt like "yeah this song should go here" while you did, that's what is needed. Anthologies III failed in this regard.

A trend exacerbated by its nigh abandonment of actual pmv content for a "pony clip + random audio clip = comedy gold" formula. Many of which were rather lazily put together too.

Also I've watched most of the AMV Hells and I rarely felt like there was a joke I was missing even when I wasn't familiar with a source, because most of them were edited in such a way as to be just plain funny (generally through visual humor) not merely referentially funny.

I found myself bored with Anthologies III because I failed to engage with it as a work. Sure there's a few gems in there but so isolated it ceases to matter. It certainly didn't help that they also started in the same place as AMV Hell 0 which immediately set up the comparison of artistic technique in my mind. (what!? don't look at me like that.)
    That's actually a REALLY good assessment.
    Spoiler
    Show
    And yes, I think the few PMVs they did showcase were stronger in its entertainment value then the random audio clips (most which I didn't recognize. I remember the N64 one). Not that there weren't funny audio clips, but I think what makes or breaks it was the key word: 'random'.

The funnier ones seemed to fit the pony scene being blended with it on multiple levels. For example, the argument early on (done to the three tribes discussing the blizzard) and Pinkie tells everyone to shut up. That I found pretty funny since there's a good matchup with the audio presented.
    On the flip side, the aforementioned N64 clip. Why a giant N64 eating Celestia? Why not focus on Luna who tends to be the gamer with the fandom (maybe even Button Mash?)? The clip seemed... too random.
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2013-12-09 at 11:16 AM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

I quite liked Anthology III, some brilliant stuff, some good stuff, some serious lengths. Same as Anthology II, as far as my memory goes. I kind of wish they'd go for half-hour length again, raise the bar on inclusion, and condense much more rigorously.

Are we following certain guidelines on spoiler tags for new episodes that I should know about? Daring Don't ran two days ago. Are we sticking to Hubworld release dates to keep up appearances re: Youtube?
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post

Are we following certain guidelines on spoiler tags for new episodes that I should know about? Daring Don't ran two days ago. Are we sticking to Hubworld release dates to keep up appearances re: Youtube?
    I believe the rule is spoiler tags until the Tuesday after the episode.
    I run the Five Gems campaign, where ponies, griffons, and changlings search for five mystical gems to unlock the vault to the mighty Crown of the Griffon King.
    IC thread

OOC thread

If you like DC, Marvel, and Worm, check out Invincible, wherein Emma Barnes triggers with the Kryptonian package.
    If you enjoy Self-Inserts, Worm, and/or Mistborn, check out Preservation.

21. - Top - End - #201

I am completely done with today.

Completely. Done.
    Spoiler
    Show

tl;dr - I failed my tasks at work today due to outside uncontrollable issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Doom View Post
    This is correct.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

22. - Top - End - #202

Well this is a thing I saw today, and we're all doomed
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

How so?
    Well...

Spoiler
    Show
    The Map is flat! The map is officalized on show!

Not really its more indirect. By using the map it now seem clear there is indeed an a broad strokes plan to geography to Equestria. And said plan shows that an entire direction out of Equestria as dry badlands... which we see Chrysalis knocked into. Thus strengthening the lack of horizon and therefore flat plane!

AHAHAHAH!!

(Also the premiere should pretty much kibosh anything but sun and moon as anything but magical phenomena. Night and day simultaneously! Thus eliminating physics for good and thus the bias for a spherical planet!)

That's actually a REALLY good assessment.
    Hmm thanks. Also good to know I'm not the only one that didn't recognize most of the the clips. Which isn't unusual in itself but these felt particularly obscure.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Doom View Post
    I believe it technically is 72 hours thus if we are move to say Sunday/Friday for some reason it becomes Wed/Mon respectively.

24. - Top - End - #204

Well...

Spoiler
    Show
    The Map is flat! The map is officalized on show!

Not really its more indirect. By using the map it now seem clear there is indeed an a broad strokes plan to geography to Equestria. And said plan shows that an entire direction out of Equestria as dry badlands... which we see Chrysalis knocked into. Thus strengthening the lack of horizon and therefore flat plane!

AHAHAHAH!!
    Or she could have been knocked past the horizon through projectile arcing.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #205

...I got nothing.

(Also the premiere should pretty much kibosh anything but sun and moon as anything but magical phenomena. Night and day simultaneously! Thus eliminating physics for good and thus the bias for a spherical planet!)
    While I can understand the "sun/moon as magical phenomena" theory, I do have to question why globes exist if the world is flat. Perhaps a middle-ground argument could be made that when the sisters raise/lower the sun/moon, they're rotating them around to the other side of the planet. This way, when the sun is lowered, it's not still shining light from just below the horizon if it were a flat world.

(And as magical phenomena, the sun and moon wouldn't necessarily have to be moved east-to-west. They could take shorter arcing paths back and forth for simplicity)

Hmm thanks. Also good to know I'm not the only one that didn't recognize most of the the clips. Which isn't unusual in itself but these felt particularly obscure.
    I think there's a source listing at the end, but that's too many clips to count through to figure out what was which what not in my head. ...yeah that sentence was purposely confused.
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2013-12-09 at 02:16 PM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

While I can understand the "sun/moon as magical phenomena" theory, I do have to question why globes exist if the world is flat. Perhaps a middle-ground argument could be made that when the sisters raise/lower the sun/moon, they're rotating them around to the other side of the planet. This way, when the sun is lowered, it's not still shining light from just below the horizon if it were a flat world.

(And as magical phenomena, the sun and moon wouldn't necessarily have to be moved east-to-west. They could take shorter arcing paths back and forth for simplicity)
    Why do maps exist for a round world? Or they're simply artistic, or representations of other places that are sphere. Besides you'd need to establish those globes actually can be found to show the map at some point.

And nope... we see the Sun and Moon being raised and lowered in opposite directions of one another at the Summer Sun Celebration. That's not rotational slight of hand that's active control, Celestia and Luna move their celestial bodies. Equestria is geocentric and physics is a relic of Aristotelian philosophy!

Oh and you can see what happens in a physics based universe when the sun and moon are in the sky together reasonably often on clear days.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    It's beautiful. (tears up)
    for the sisterhood
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    It's beautiful. (tears up)
    for the sisterhood
    The Sisterhood of Rod??? (no. regrets)

29. - Top - End - #209

And nope... we see the Sun and Moon being raised and lowered in opposite directions of one another at the Summer Sun Celebration. That's not rotational slight of hand that's active control, Celestia and Luna move their celestial bodies. Equestria is geocentric and physics is a relic of Aristotelian philosophy!
    That's what I was trying to describe, that Celestia and Luna are moving the sun and moon around the planet (as if these objects were on individual invisible tracks), and not that the planet itself is being rotated to give day or night. Since the sun and moon can be independently moved around, having them both in the same place can give wonky effects, as seen in the first episode of season 4.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

That's what I was trying to describe, that Celestia and Luna are moving the sun and moon around the planet (as if these objects were on individual invisible tracks), and not that the planet itself is being rotated to give day or night. Since the sun and moon can be independently moved around, having them both in the same place can give wonky effects, as seen in the first episode of season 4.
    Ahh sometimes I read things and they don't reach my brain in the same condition.