New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [Steam] Thread XXXIII: The only winning move is not to play

Good game alert: for those of you who like multiplayer (not necessarily competitive) shooters, Titanfall is one of the best currently available.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Pity it's on Origin...

Speaking of which, is there any truth to those spyware rumors I heard when Origin went live? Or was it EA's well-deserved hatedom spreading anti-hype?
    Last edited by Teln; 2014-03-18 at 09:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teln View Post
    Pity it's on Origin...

Speaking of which, is there any truth to those spyware rumors I heard when Origin went live? Or was it EA's well-deserved hatedom spreading anti-hype?
    My understanding is that they pretty much do something close to what Steam asks you to do: Scan your computer for what kind of hardware you have and the software installed, particularly any other EA products.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

4. - Top - End - #454
    Troll in the Playground

Pity it's on Origin...

Let's not get on the hate train. Origin is unintrusive. As far as I'm concerned on my PC, it's simply there, launches when I run Titanfall, and closes when Titanfall closes (that's a feature in the client to have it close when a game on it does). It's a good game on a service that has improved vastly since is launched three years ago (yes, it has been three years).

I don't love Origin. I don't hate it. I accept that I have to use it and do not mind its presence on my hard drive.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    Let's not get on the hate train. Origin is unintrusive.
    There is a good reason for asking the question. At launch it sent back a report on the entire contents of your hard drive. Not just other EA titles. Only a fool trusts EA with that information.

Pretty sure they have removed that functionality, but the principle remains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drager0 View Post
    MY LIFE IS RUINED FOREVER AND IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF YOU, VOLATAR!!!!
    My Twitter
    Awesome Yukari avatar by memnarch.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Volatar View Post
    Pretty sure they have removed that functionality, but the principle remains.
    They did. I believe it checked your PC for whether or not Steam was installed, which is silly, but it doesn't do that anymore.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Dwarf in the Playground

While I refuse to buy and play Titanfall because it hails from EA, I can agree that its a pretty cool Game and lots of Fun. It promotes tactical approaches, especially since the Map isnt limited to ground-level Combat. Titans are a neat addition, altough a bit irritating the first few times until you get used to it (I felt a bit outclassed as an infantryman in my first few games, until I got the hang of using corners to break line of sight).

For those looking for an alternative because of EA/Origin, I heavily recommend trying out HAWKEN if you're into Mech-Stuff. Its Free to Play, has a great Store-model and is tons of Fun and easy to get into.
    FMA -Envy Avatar by Comissar!

8. - Top - End - #458
    Ogre in the Playground

Not sure if anyone here knows about this site, but here's a great site for keeping track of bundles.

I like that Groupee Build a Bundle. I already have Skyborn, but Aveyond was on my wishlist, so I grabbed it and a couple other games. Too bad the bonuses are just random music I care not for.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stuebi View Post
    For those looking for an alternative because of EA/Origin, I heavily recommend trying out HAWKEN if you're into Mech-Stuff. Its Free to Play, has a great Store-model and is tons of Fun and easy to get into.
    Keep in mind however that Hawken is a very, very different game. Good, but definitely not at all like Titanfall. The similarities between the two begin and end with dashing.

Also, while I do not agree with you avoiding purchasing Titanfall because it's published by EA (remember, EA does not own Respawn; they are simply publishing the license Respawn owns), I do understand your hesitation.

Also, buying Titanfall is a good way to show Activision that Call of Duty isn't going to cut it as it is anymore.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Dwarf in the Playground

Keep in mind however that Hawken is a very, very different game. Good, but definitely not at all like Titanfall. The similarities between the two begin and end with dashing.

Also, while I do not agree with you avoiding purchasing Titanfall because it's published by EA (remember, EA does not own Respawn; they are simply publishing the license Respawn owns), I do understand your hesitation.

Also, buying Titanfall is a good way to show Activision that Call of Duty isn't going to cut it as it is anymore.
    I was majorly playing on the whole Giant Robot thing, which seems to be a big point for a lot of people. and just general "shooty" alternatives to CoD and BF, who dominate the market.

And I frankly dont care that EA is just the Publisher, I had way too much hazzle in the past with the company and its pracitces, especially around Origin. As long as their getting money trough the purchase, im not buying it. No matter how good it is.

EDIT: Also, I do think the best way to show Activision that CoD isnt cutting it anymore, would be to not buy CoD.
    Last edited by Stuebi; 2014-03-19 at 09:49 AM.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Troll in the Playground

Isn't that what happened with Bioware?
    Thanks to Dirty Tabs for the Travis pony.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

Breakdown Twilight from Pony Halloween celebration, thanks to Thanqol.

Thanks to Akrim.Elf for the awesome Laharl pony.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Ogre in the Playground

They just need to add mechs to Planetside 2 and then we will be good.
    My Twitter

13. - Top - End - #463
    Troll in the Playground

As far as I can tell, the only problem with it being through EA is the typical Server mess. And locking content (You want a different mech, or a different loadout from stock, you can't have one) behind completing a campaign, which is both terrible and very difficult to manage because you need Players close to you in order to play the campaign. And all of them need to stay connected to the EA servers in order to qualify in order to unlock the content.

So currently, the servers are borked so you can't unlock the content without replaying the terrible campaign in hopes you don't disconect. (Think SimCity)

If and when the servers stabalize, then it will be very difficult finding players who want to play the terrible campaign in order to unlock the content.

How terrible is that campaign? Win the mission? Nope you lose, because thats the script. Lose the mission? Nope you win, because that's the script.

That and you can only play on EA servers, which means they can pull the plug anytime. I don't know if that's standard or not, I just know valve's "Host your Own games, good Luck" system, which has it's own problems, of course.
    Last edited by Forbiddenwar; 2014-03-19 at 01:43 PM.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forbiddenwar View Post
    As far as I can tell, the only problem with it being through EA is the typical Server mess.
    You mean the one that isn't here? The game runs on Microsoft Azure, not EA's proprietary junk.

And locking content (You want a different mech, or a different loadout from stock, you can't have one) behind completing a campaign, which is both terrible and very difficult to manage because you need Players close to you in order to play the campaign. And all of them need to stay connected to the EA servers in order to qualify in order to unlock the content.
    Yes, you need to beat the campaign to get the Stryder and Ogre. Yhe campaign is simply multiplayer maps with Attrition and Hardpoint, and while the story isn't great, the experience itself is really cool.

As for the loadouts being unlocked through general play, it being hard to find matches in the campaign, and staying connected to EA servers, this is all untrue. You unlock levels through the campaign, players are always in the game, and it runs on MICROSOFT AZURE.

So currently, the servers are borked so you can't unlock the content without replaying the terrible campaign in hopes you don't disconect. (Think SimCity)
    Quit making stuff up.

If and when the servers stabalize,
    You have literally no idea what you're talking about.

then it will be very difficult finding players who want to play the terrible campaign in order to unlock the content.

How terrible is that campaign? Win the mission? Nope you lose, because thats the script. Lose the mission? Nope you win, because that's the script.
    That doesn't make it terrible. That makes it scripted and flimsy, which doesn't detract from it being really damn fun.

That and you can only play on EA servers,
    By saying this you are showing you absolutely know nothing about this game other than the fact that EA published it.

which means they can pull the plug anytime.
    No, they can't.

I don't know if that's standard or not,
    No, it's not.

I just know valve's "Host your Own games, good Luck" system, which has it's own problems, of course.
    Which is good, but EA isn't running the servers.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Ogre in the Playground

Which is good, but EA isn't running the servers.
    Is EA paying for them?
    My Twitter

16. - Top - End - #466
    Troll in the Playground

Is EA paying for them?
    Microsoft is. Exclusivity rights and contractual obligations.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ogre in the Playground

Microsoft is. Exclusivity rights and contractual obligations.
    Well that's something I guess.
    My Twitter

18. - Top - End - #468
    Troll in the Playground

Titanfall 2 was confirmed today (who was surprised by that, honestly?), and it's already been stated to be multiplatform.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Troll in the Playground

Quit making stuff up.
    Relevant video. yes, most of my information is wrong. Thank-you for letting me know that the servers are Microsoft provided.

Has the servers stabilized since this video came out? Since the game seemed to require EA Origin tokens to connect to games, I assumed EA had something to do with the servers. My mistake.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Troll in the Playground

Relevant video. yes, most of my information is wrong. Thank-you for letting me know that the servers are Microsoft provided.

Has the servers stabilized since this video came out? Since the game seemed to require EA Origin tokens to connect to games, I assumed EA had something to do with the servers. My mistake.
    I had maybe one, two issues with server connectivity throughout the hours I've played of the game. Respawn has stated that they're actually performing maintenance on the servers tonight.

Joe's a personality, so while he knows what he's talking about, he also tends to get very angry (for lack of a better word) at minor issues. To my knowledge, he's not in a very populated area. I'm near Seattle, and he's not too close to any Microsoft Azure installations (it's cloud servers). That would definitely result in less than ideal ping; I haven't gone higher than 50ms of ping, however, so I'd say I'm set.

Overall, the game is solid, simple, and balanced (aside from a couple elements that are totally up for debate, nothing is overpowered). Matches are super fast-paced and while battlefields are open, they never feel empty due to the abundance of AI roaming the fields.

It's really an interesting game to play. Kind of like Tribes without hills.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Dwarf in the Playground

I didnt have Server issues even once, when testing the Beta together with a Buddy. And I do think this fact alone proves that they finally learned their lesson, especially after Sim City. It also runs pretty smoothly performance-wise and I think Triscuitable pointed the novelty of the concept out allready. Frankly, I didnt expect this stuff from Dev's who formerly worked on call of duty over at Infinity Dump.

Im hoping for a good non EA-related spin-off, or at least some novelty in the shooter genre if nothing else. The amount of boring slugfests on Steam is becoming very boring.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Ogre in the Playground

This is all something for another thread anyways. Lets get back to games on Steam.
    My Twitter

23. - Top - End - #473
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Speaking of which, Payday 2 is having a free weekend. Anybody else care to join me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Troll in the Playground

Speaking of which, Payday 2 is having a free weekend. Anybody else care to join me?
    I'm pretty much done with Payday 2. Fun game, but it's kind of a "when I feel like it" game now. There's a lot of grinding lengthy (and difficult) heists to get the best gear.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Ettin in the Playground

Any idea what's happened to the workshop?
    I first noticed it with skyrim.. but from looking around, ti sounds like several games suddenly have a limit of 50 steam mods..
    I've not been able to find any information other than "it's happened", but it seems to be a bug of some sort, rather than a purposeful feature.
    Anyone here hear any more about the issue?
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

26. - Top - End - #476
    Troll in the Playground

So I have somehow wound up with a coupon for 30% off Explodemon which I probably won't use. Does anybody want it?
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

27. - Top - End - #477
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, a quick question here. How do I set up the different family profile? I told my dad about how steam games offer achievements to trying games and playing them differently and he seems interested. I was hoping to set up a family profile account for him to unlock his own achievements separate from my account since I have a lot of the steam achievements from the games he's planning on playing. I think I remember them announcing something like that months ago, though I could be remembering wrong.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

28. - Top - End - #478
    Ogre in the Playground

Am I the only one not surprised that a game which has been on Steam for years got Greenlighted?

For those that don't know - Sledgehammer got released in 2008 and was rereleased in 2009 under the name of Gear Grinder. You can even compare the beauty of the waterfall from the first screen on the Greenlight page with this image from Sledgehammer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

29. - Top - End - #479
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Hey, a quick question here. How do I set up the different family profile? I told my dad about how steam games offer achievements to trying games and playing them differently and he seems interested. I was hoping to set up a family profile account for him to unlock his own achievements separate from my account since I have a lot of the steam achievements from the games he's planning on playing. I think I remember them announcing something like that months ago, though I could be remembering wrong.
    This would be what you're looking for.
    Last edited by Dispozition; 2014-04-03 at 07:31 PM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Dis...As far as I can tell, you are a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Run, little Aussie artist man. Your doom will be swift and silent -
    - like the owl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *Hands Dizzy his SwoongunTM*
    Which is a hairdrier full of ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Dis, I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Your quotes rawk.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Um, you remembered wrong, family profiles are for sharing games between profiles, not for having multiple profiles in one. He needs his own account, then go to his library, where he should see list of your installed games. Try to play one, when request for authorization shows up log into your account and grant it. Done, now he can play games from both accounts.

So, guess what was supposed to be bi-monthly, but was quad-monthly?

Two farts, you say?
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"