New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The OotS Magic Compendium

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Last I checked the Geekery thread, the only cure spell Elan had was Cure Critical Wounds.
    Doesn't he have a cure mass spell as well? Not that that would apply here...

Checking the thread, indeed, Cure Critical Wounds. And that would fit the amount of damage Roy has taken. Updating the previous post! Good work guys!
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2017-06-16 at 11:47 AM.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

2. - Top - End - #272
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

He does indeed have Mass Cure Light Wounds as well (I think he casts it in the Thieves' Guild reunion scene), though you're right that it doesn't apply here.
    Last edited by unbeliever536; 2017-06-16 at 02:11 PM.
    Why should a man be scorned if, finding himself in prison, he tries to get out and go home? Or if, when he cannot do so, he thinks and talks about other topics than jailers and prison-walls?

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Friend Code: 4484-7979-9172
    DS name: Ben
    In-game name: Lief
    Friend safari: Charmeleon, Pansear, Ninetails

Brew:

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

Annnnnd speak of the devil....

Strip 1077
    Cure Light Wounds, Mass
    Fly (wand)
    Locate Object (mention)
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2017-06-26 at 06:22 AM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

4. - Top - End - #274
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

In the unknown spells list, you have Bixby's/Bugsby's Hand spells. First, that should be Bigby's Hand (spelling). Second, as far as I know, all the ones in OotS are Bugsby's Hands, a parody of the Bigby's Hand spells. So I don't know why you mention Bigby, but it's your list.

You apparently missed it, but I suggested earlier that the one in 678 is Bugsby's Intrusive Finger. The effects seems to match fairly well.
    Curated Thread: Gazetteer of the Stick

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
    In the unknown spells list, you have Bixby's/Bugsby's Hand spells. First, that should be Bigby's Hand (spelling). Second, as far as I know, all the ones in OotS are Bugsby's Hands, a parody of the Bigby's Hand spells. So I don't know why you mention Bigby, but it's your list.

You apparently missed it, but I suggested earlier that the one in 678 is Bugsby's Intrusive Finger. The effects seems to match fairly well.
    First of all, the "Bixby" is not a typo. Likely he was attempting to avoid copyright infringement. Do you mean you don't know why I haven't mentioned Bigby?

As for your suggestion, I was holding off to see if anyone had anything else to say about it, but you're correct it does match fairly well, so I'll add it. However since its unspoken, it defaults to the actual spell name rather than the Bugsby's parody of it, so this is our first actual Bigby's spell listed.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

6. - Top - End - #276

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    First of all, the "Bixby" is not a typo. Likely he was attempting to avoid copyright infringement. Do you mean you don't know why I haven't mentioned Bigby?
    I was unaware he'd used a different parody name for one of the spells. Quite likely that was not intentional and he'd meant to continue with the Bugsby name. He does make mistakes like that from time to time. Most recently, the Minor Confusion that Elan cast.

As for your suggestion, I was holding off to see if anyone had anything else to say about it, but you're correct it does match fairly well, so I'll add it. However since its unspoken, it defaults to the actual spell name rather than the Bugsby's parody of it, so this is our first actual Bigby's spell listed.
    He didn't use the name for the other one I suggested recently: Bugsby's Forceful Hand in strip 934. Personally, I'd call them all Bugsby's * Hand/Finger when he doesn't explicitly give a name. If he had named them, I'm sure he would have called them Bugsby's or some name other than Bigby's. But it's your list.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ettin in the Playground

I was unaware he'd used a different parody name for one of the spells. Quite likely that was not intentional and he'd meant to continue with the Bugsby name. He does make mistakes like that from time to time. Most recently, the Minor Confusion that Elan cast.
    Indeed, that could very well be the case. But since we can't be sure (unless he changed it in the printed version) I'm keeping the name as is.

He didn't use the name for the other one I suggested recently: Bugsby's Forceful Hand in strip 934. Personally, I'd call them all Bugsby's * Hand/Finger when he doesn't explicitly give a name. If he had named them, I'm sure he would have called them Bugsby's or some name other than Bigby's. But it's your list.
    Modified. Yes, sure it's my list. But I'm interested in people's suggestions, so no need to keep saying that. Plus, lord knows I can't run this thing without help from viewers like you.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

8. - Top - End - #278

Flumph

Yes, sure it's my list. But I'm interested in people's suggestions, so no need to keep saying that.
    I only say it when I'm fairly sure I'm making a suggestion you aren't going to adopt.
    Last edited by dtilque; 2017-06-28 at 12:44 AM.

9. - Top - End - #279

WolfInSheepsClothing

That "Bigby's Intrusive Finger" spell is quite clearly labeled as homebrew. (Dandwiki is not generally the place to go for accurate information on the 3.5 game...)
    Why should a man be scorned if, finding himself in prison, he tries to get out and go home? Or if, when he cannot do so, he thinks and talks about other topics than jailers and prison-walls?

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Brew:

10. - Top - End - #280

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by unbeliever536 View Post
    That "Bigby's Intrusive Finger" spell is quite clearly labeled as homebrew. (Dandwiki is not generally the place to go for accurate information on the 3.5 game...)
    Didn't notice it was homebrew. It matches the events in the strip so well, I wonder if there was a connection.

Date of page creation: 20-Jul-2010
    Date of strip 678: 13-Sep-2009

Ten month delay. Hard to say one way or another just based on that. I would guess it probably was.

11. - Top - End - #281

WolfInSheepsClothing

Looks like #1078 gives us another Locate Object (mention), some discussion of spell preparation rules that might be worth noting, and a Returning-like Weapon of Legacy power.

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Brew:

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ettin in the Playground

Strip 1078
    Locate Object (mention)
    Weapon of Legacy, Returning

Strip 1080
    Mending (mention)
    Unknown Spell (scrying?)

The conversation about preparing spells in 1078 is a standard rule for preparing spells. However, it actually is an interesting thing to consider. Should we have a section for any information we know about casting from the comic? That might be interesting to remark on.
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2017-07-24 at 12:21 PM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

13. - Top - End - #283

WolfInSheepsClothing

It fits the thread's meta-goal of providing an easy reference point for how magic works in OOTS to readers who are unfamiliar with D&D 3.5, so I'd say go for it. Of course, I'm the one who suggested it in the first place.

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Brew:

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

It fits the thread's meta-goal of providing an easy reference point for how magic works in OOTS to readers who are unfamiliar with D&D 3.5, so I'd say go for it. Of course, I'm the one who suggested it in the first place.
    True. You'll also note there is now a weapon of legacy section, since the WoL has different features. The post after that will be the section those details are kept, but I'm trying to come up with a decent title for it...hmmmm....

World Building Projects:
    Magic

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright, guys. Just realized that Hel was using a pool to Scry on the party in 1080 and 1081. So is it normal Scrying, or something better than that? Also, what do we think Hel is casting on the dwarves in 1082? Also Also, what do we think the priest in 1084 is casting as he dies. Thor's Lightning? It seems to be zapping more often so maybe Call Lightning?

World Building Projects:
    Magic

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Also, what do we think Hel is casting on the dwarves in 1082?
    Since they break out with spots on their faces, I would guess something along the lines of contagion.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

17. - Top - End - #287

WolfInSheepsClothing

Alright, guys. Just realized that Hel was using a pool to Scry on the party in 1080 and 1081. So is it normal Scrying, or something better than that? Also, what do we think Hel is casting on the dwarves in 1082? Also Also, what do we think the priest in 1084 is casting as he dies. Thor's Lightning? It seems to be zapping more often so maybe Call Lightning?
    It'd be reasonable to assume that Hel's got access to the same level of power as random lawful good oath spirits, though we don't need to assume that's the case.

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Brew:

18. - Top - End - #288
    Banned

The hand in 678 is relatively trivially Grasping Hand.

- Clenched Fist can't do that and I don't know if V could cast it at that time.
    - Crushing Hand is too high level for V to cast.
    - Disrupting Hand is too small and doesn't do that.
    - Forceful Hand doesn't do that.
    - Helpful Hand is too small and doesn't do that.
    - Interposing Hand doesn't do that.
    - Slapping Hand is too small and doesn't do that.
    - Striking Fist is too small and doesn't do that.
    - Tripping Hand is too small and doesn't really do that.
    - Warding Hand doesn't do that.

Grasping Hand, despite the name being little odd, is the only one which can grapple the guy. Notably, Windstriker grapples Belkar by standing on him, so there's reason to believe that grapples can work like that in OOtS.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Since they break out with spots on their faces, I would guess something along the lines of contagion.
    Sounds like a possibility. I'll throw it as labeled that in the unknown spells below.

It'd be reasonable to assume that Hel's got access to the same level of power as random lawful good oath spirits, though we don't need to assume that's the case.
    A valid point.

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    The hand in 678 is relatively trivially Grasping Hand.

- Clenched Fist can't do that and I don't know if V could cast it at that time.
    - Crushing Hand is too high level for V to cast.
    - Disrupting Hand is too small and doesn't do that.
    - Forceful Hand doesn't do that.
    - Helpful Hand is too small and doesn't do that.
    - Interposing Hand doesn't do that.
    - Slapping Hand is too small and doesn't do that.
    - Striking Fist is too small and doesn't do that.
    - Tripping Hand is too small and doesn't really do that.
    - Warding Hand doesn't do that.

Grasping Hand, despite the name being little odd, is the only one which can grapple the guy. Notably, Windstriker grapples Belkar by standing on him, so there's reason to believe that grapples can work like that in OOtS.
    I have it listed as Bugby's (Bigby's) Intrusive Finger, which causes 1d6 points of damage per caster level, and the target is pinned until it can escape (with a grapple check). It also looks like that in the depiction. I'm curious where your question of 678 came from, since it wasn't listed in the unknown list as far as I see. Or is this a dispute of the listed spell?

Strip 1081
    Unknown Spell (scrying?)

Strip 1082
    Unknown Spell (contagion?)

Strip 1084
    Unknown Spell (contacting Hel?)
    Unknown Spell (thor's lightning? call lightning?)

Strip 1085
    Unknown Spell (rune?)
    Dispel Magic, Greater
    Gaseous Form
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2017-07-24 at 01:41 PM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

20. - Top - End - #290

Flumph

I have it listed as Bugby's (Bigby's) Intrusive Finger, which causes 1d6 points of damage per caster level, and the target is pinned until it can escape (with a grapple check). It also looks like that in the depiction. I'm curious where your question of 678 came from, since it wasn't listed in the unknown list as far as I see. Or is this a dispute of the listed spell?
    Someone above pointed out that the Intrusive Finger spell is homebrew. Furthermore, the date of that homebrew is later than the date of strip 678, making it likely that the spell was brewed because of the strip and not vise versa. At any rate, Burlew couldn't have had the spell in mind when he wrote 678.

Blame me for this. The page says "Homebrew" in big letters and I totally missed that when I found it and suggested it.
    Last edited by dtilque; 2017-07-24 at 02:58 PM.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ettin in the Playground

Someone above pointed out that the Intrusive Finger spell is homebrew. Furthermore, the date of that homebrew is later than the date of strip 678, making it likely that the spell was brewed because of the strip and not vise versa. At any rate, Burlew couldn't have had the spell in mind when he wrote 678.

Blame me for this. The page says "Homebrew" in big letters and I totally missed that when I found it and suggested it.
    Ah yes, I forgot about that conversation! True that, it does say Homebrew...Don't blame yourself too much, I missed it too. Grasping hand it is! Although, was V level 7 when that spell was cast?
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2017-07-26 at 06:51 AM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

22. - Top - End - #292

Flumph

Grasping hand it is! Although, was V level 7 when that spell was cast?
    The Geekery thread has him at level 14 as of strip 627. With a 24 Int, V could cast 3 level 7 spells per day at that time.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

The Geekery thread has him at level 14 as of strip 627. With a 24 Int, V could cast 3 level 7 spells per day at that time.
    Perfect, thank you. Updating that now. V even casts that in 624, so I shouldn't have questioned it.
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2017-07-27 at 06:20 AM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground

Added some Weapon of Legacy entries in the compendium. Gave the first mention of the ability of the sword, and some of the appearances of it. Still trying to locate where it was first seen activate between the first and second entry. Then after Roy dies, I added the mention from his Grandfather, but didn't pick up looking again until page 1000.

So between 297 and 408, we have some appearances to find, and between 498 and 1000 we have some to find as well.

Mind you, 665 is the first time Roy is back in the mortal realm, so its really between 665 and 1000.

Let me know if you guys find any more!

World Building Projects:
    Magic

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ettin in the Playground

Found the first instance of the Weapon of Legacy - 349, while Roy is fighting Sabine. I don't believe there are any other instances until he fights Miko, and there definitely weren't more before it because of his reaction.

So now to slog through 665 - 1000...

Edit: And completed. I think I got all of them...now to define what they are...
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2017-08-03 at 10:05 AM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

26. - Top - End - #296

WolfInSheepsClothing

I almost hate to ask this question, but ... what about Eugene Greenhilt manifesting? It's not a weapon of legacy power, but it is a power of the sword. (Though I think he only does once or twice after DCF)

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Brew:

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ettin in the Playground

I almost hate to ask this question, but ... what about Eugene Greenhilt manifesting? It's not a weapon of legacy power, but it is a power of the sword. (Though I think he only does once or twice after DCF)
    Well, if it is because of the ancestral sword, that is considered the reason weapon of legacy exists. I'd call it still under the same confines, right? Like the green glow technically is because of the starmetal, not the Weapon of Legacy. But it is, so I'm thinking the weapon of legacy is any powers the rely around the sword.

Edit: The above is poorly worded, but basically any powers the sword has seem to be an element of the Weapon of Legacy, so I'm inclined to include it!
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2017-08-03 at 11:10 AM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

The green glow seems to occur only when Roy is especially angry, which would be a Weapon of Legacy thing.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    The green glow seems to occur only when Roy is especially angry, which would be a Weapon of Legacy thing.
    Yes, but it happened before he started learning about it, which is what I was implying. And also what I was trying to figure out a name for...
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2017-08-04 at 07:27 AM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

30. - Top - End - #300

WolfInSheepsClothing

So, review of the Weapon of Legacy stuff:

#498 mentions the sword itself, but does not mention its powers in any way. I wouldn't count it any more than a strip where Roy is carrying it around.

Eugene manifests using the connection to the sword in:

He also discusses the ability extensively in #1046. He sticks around through #1048, but that's probably not worth including in the index, since nothing more is said on the manifestation ability. Finally, #527 (implicitly) mentions the manifestation ability, while #291 and #664 mention it explicitly.
    Last edited by unbeliever536; 2017-08-05 at 03:26 AM.

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Brew: