New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: DrK's Gestalt Game IC

Shazardrax

"Sound advice, friend. I'm at my most effective standing guard and letting my enemies come to me, so that should be good positioning for me. The lady Alyssa also need not worry about hurting me with fire magic, so it may remove some of her constraints in where she can cast her spells if I am in front of her."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Baervard

"Dwarf skin!?" Baervard asks Jeb. "Nevermind, I don't want to know."

"Just stand behind me." He says to the gnome, his heavy shield floating next to him. "I'll take the front. I've got some tricks of my own for the restless dead." Making sure the scroll he was given is safe within his pack he nods to the rest.

Spoiler
    Show
    Swapped some spells. Hide from Undead x2, Consecrate x1, and Magic Circle Against Evil x1.
    Last edited by Chambers; 2014-01-05 at 02:09 PM.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Celeste greets you as she provides a large breakfast feast. "If you are ready to go..." after a round of "yes" from the party she once more teleports you with her access key into Manzorian's study.

The archmage is waiting by the picture of the jungle spire. He nods a greeting to the five he saw yesterday and bows to Alyssa, "Are you ready? Once you pass through only your own means or Agath's scroll can return you."

With a wave of his hand the archmage focuses on the picture and it begins to shimmer and swirl, smells of the jungle seeping into the study along with the humid heat of Amedo rolling towards you.

Clustering together the gang of unlikely heroes step through touching the fabric that feels like a shimmering wave of water and with a flash you stumble forward knee (or tail) deep in tangled shrubs and broken shards of black rock, the heat of the jungle slamming into you and sweat breaking out from the near 100% humidity. The verdant smell of a jungle - part rot, part vegetation - dominates your sense of smell and the sounds of clicking insects and whispering ferns and vines is all around. Turning around you can briefly see a twisting in the air, a shimmer like water and a shadow waving a hand in parting before the portal closes.

Peering through the thick trees the jungle ends some 200ft in front of you, petering out. The chirping insects, cries of predators an incessant whine of bugs creates an exotic song and through the colourful wall of plantlife you can see the immense bowl shaped valley laid out before you all.

In the valley lies a sleeping ruined city, in most cases crumbling foundations overgrown with vines. In places small copses of virulent yellow and red flowering ferns have reclaimed the ruins while elsewhere some buildings partly stand with ghastly holes in the walls like mourning faces. The cities streets are faintly visible only as faint lines where the undergrowth has not grown as thick. Though incredible as the spectacle is its is dwarfed by what lies at the heart of the ruins.

Here a giant ring of black rock circles the heart of the city, runes graven upon its surface glowing even in the bright daylight. Within the rings lies an ancient stone ziggurat. Two entryways into the dark chambers lie at ground level and atop the ziggurat rise the towering stylised three armed stone spire from Manzorian's painting. THe apex of the spire seems shortened as if something is missing though the rest of strange shape stands solidly, mocking gravity and conventional engineering through divine providence or powerful magics...

Spoiler
    Show

You are on the far left of the map, some 20ft from the edge of the jungle and only 160ft from the black obisidian ring...

Its very hot... (I wouldn't tally in the hot weather )

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Jeb just smiled earlier at the comment about dwarf skin. It had been a while since he traveled with others and forgot how others feel so attached to the bodies they walk in. Upon teleporting in, Jeb experienced his typical dizziness and his pet growled in confusion. The druid put his hand on the beast to calm him. His companions seemed to all be here. They were an impressive lot by the look of them though they were now all scanning the distance.

If anything it looked to be a place of evil. An old evil that had been let to rot and nature has tried to make its way back towards the ruin to some success. Looking back to his companions, he said with a humble smile "Well I'm guessing this won't be a stealth entrance with the lot of us, so let me slip into something more comfortable for this environment..." Jeb suddenly ballooned up, his hands formed into claws, his face stretched and contorted into a hideous visage, his legs expanded suddenly, and he became a cave troll at the end. "A bit bigger and uglier, but sturdier than a dwarf skin. You don't want to encounter one of these in their own cave for that matter...that wasn't a fun trip. Anyway, let me say a prayer to the goddess before we proceed, and I'll be ready to venture in." Jeb's voice became low and rumbley as he spoke, but his speech was still quite understandable.

He bowed his head in silent prayer to Elhonna and awaited to see what his companions wished to do.

Spoiler
    Show
    Updated stats with buffs + form.

I'll cast barkskin on Jeb and animal once we start to move towards the structure.
    No longer have time to participate in games. I apologize.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Thoyne was pleased he was allowed to go back into town, he first found his trusty steed, the stubborn pony with his gear, the beast had wandered about a block or so, but he found him, chewing on some grass.

Patting the ponies flank he smiled, he wasn't going to have much need of the steed and so dismissed her back to where she came, but not before taking his gear.

Setting up in the tavern, he enjoyed a good dinner, and then retired after some good ale, knowing, or not knowing what lied before him.

He nodded grimly to Celeste and then to the Archmage, he readied himself to use the strange portal, his guts jumping and bouncing into a tight knot as he was teleported, he grimaced slightly and opened his eyes, an instant sheen of sweat hit him and he began sweating almost profusely, his armor not helping him in the intense heat.

He raised an eyebrow at the other 'dwarf', his insight from the other day confirmed, then he turned into a cave troll.

Thoyne almost laughed, "Bah!, thicker than dwarf skin, ye haven't fought them when they're trying to kill and eat yer suckling babes then, heh!" he shakes his head slightly, "thicker than dwarf skin....bahaha"

Taking the amusement in stride, he bent down to the ground and grabbed a handful of soft peat, muttering a few arcane words to Berronar, his profuse sweating subsided.

After which he grabbed his shield from his back, a slightly larger version than Baervard's, but it too took to the air, floating and swerving with his movements.

He then shifted slightly, his shoulders bunching up with muscles, and his skin thickening, shaggy fur, which would have been a death sentence before grew all over his skin, a thick white line from his head moved over his now snout.

Before you stood a walking Badger, flexing his arms as if stiff from confinement he looks to the others and smiles "Ah, that be a bit better, Ah we ready?"

Spoiler
    Show

Cast Endure elements (ranger side)
    Shifted into Hybrid form.
    released animated shield.

Are we still doing the shield other potion spell?
    Sheet
    Passive effects: scent, lowlight vision, darkvision, Fast Healing 2, immune to stunning and critical hits
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2014-01-05 at 06:51 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Grillin looked at the changes and says to no one, "Two shpeshifters. Fascinating..." he mumbles to himself some more as he looks around, though the words are unintelligible. He then says aloud, [COLOR="DarkGreen]"Let me check to see what's immediately around, first."[/COLOR]

Using detect undead. Also, using hide from undead.
    Casters Vs. Everything - Rilril
    DrK's Gestalt - Grillin
    "FR" Shadowdale - Halevel
    The Reflection of Heroes - Palen

7. - Top - End - #37

Goblin

Shazardrax

Shazardrax ensures that the rest of his companions have arrived safely and admires the transformations of several of them into more powerful forms.

Once everyone is ready, he begins scouting a bit as well, spear in hands, his long coils moving almost silently as he slips into the nearby ruins.

Spoiler: dice rolls
    Show

Moving from our current location towards the obsidian circle (but not crossing it), just making sure the path is clear of ambush / traps. Will duck behind one of the stone ruins to establish cover for the hide check. He'll return to his companions once he has the area scouted and inform them of anything he sees.

Stealth
    • Hide:(1d20+14)[15]
    • Move Silently: (1d20+14)[27]

Reconaissance
    • Listen: (1d20+12)[18]
    • Spot: (1d20+8)[17]
    • Search: (1d20+21)[33]

Last edited by Gnarnia; 2014-01-06 at 11:38 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Moving through the ruins heading down into the baking humid bowl the sounds of the jungle seem muted somehow, the wind dying down, the birds going silent and even the clicking and hissing of myriad insects going quiet.
    The salamander scuttles forward, moving silently through the brush on his scaled belly as small wisps of smoke from scorched shrubs take light. Keeping far in front he see's nothing living in the bowl, the area devoid of life, the unnatural aura leeching from the ziggurat long soaking into the jungle soil.

For Grillin his sense of the undead seems to tingle and pulse as things seem to be almost near but nothing specific yet, like shadows or memories the traces of the undead still remain. It takes some ten minutes to move cautiously through the ruins watching and searching as you draw closer to massive ring of obsidian that blocks your path to the ziggurat that lies at the heart of the dead city. The ring is seamless and massive, a towering ring of black stone 30ft tall and 5ft thick with glittering runes glowing like molten rock, the same passage repeated in draconic over and over again. Standing there beside the ring Grillin sense of the undead tingles strongly warning him that many of the dead can be found on the far side of the great ring.

(For those who speak Draconic)

Spoiler
    Show

"Kyuss Forever Bound, Kyuss Forever Bound..."

As you close with 50ft of the solid ring the air shimmers and warps in front of you.. Like an oily stain spreading across water the image unfolds hundreds of feet high wide and tens of feet high wavering in the jungle sky. Within the shimmering image you see man resting upon a great green stone throne. Wearing ornate plate armour a glowing black circlet rests upon his brow - both armour and circled adorned with silver symbols of a scythes and overlapping skulls.

Expanding further the image explodes outwards revealing the throne to be atop the ziggurat in the shadow of the strange pointed spire, the spire gleaming with white light and floating at its zenith a slowly rotating black stone trapezoid shaped monolith hanging in the sky. Around the ziggurat you can see the city in all its glory, streets paved in white and black mosaic stones, buildings painted with similar colours and designs to the figure upon the throne.

Thousands of figures are gathered in front of the ziggurat in the large plaza, part of where you now stand. They all face the figure upon the throne, arms raised, their cries a rhythmic chant that reverberates in your chests. As the cries rise in pitch washing like waves upon the monolith that seems to glitter ever more darkly the figure rises to wave an answering hand back to the throng but his words are lost as the vision fades away, vanishing like mist leaving only the now silent ruins and ominous black stone wall...

Spoiler
    Show

So during this part of the adventure you can unlock a series of visions...
    Things that may give you clues.
    Listen checks to make out the chanting
    Knowledge [Dungeoneering] or [Religion]

For the wall Know [History][Arcana] are probably the most appropriate or Spellcraft

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Shaking off the image, Thoyne grumbles "Any sane dwarf woulda left by now" he says, sighing slightly.

"Heard em chanting kyuss...an that armor dates back to the Flan peoples, old as old can be, I reckon." he looks at the wall and grumbles some more, sticking his spear into the ground and leaning on it "Proly should go over, through or under is asking for trouble. And I can't fly, an I sure don't want to touch it."

He detects evil against the wall as an after thought.
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2014-01-06 at 10:40 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Grillin mutters to himself, though loud enough to hear, "Undead beyond the ring...and the ring is a binding. Elven, too...or I guess Eladrulin..." He pauses, and looks around, as if realizing people were around him. He clears his throat, and speaks more directly to the group, "The ring also blocks planar and teleportation effects. I'd hazard that the scroll won't be much use if we enter. Which is probably one of the reason for the Archmage's friend missing." He paused, scratching his goatee as he thinks to himself, muttering unintelligibly.
    DrK's Gestalt - Grillin

11. - Top - End - #41

Goblin

Shazardrax

"Don't feel bad, I can't fly either. Scaling the wall sounds like a good option, some of these ruined buildings might make an easier route up than starting from ground level. I can't read the runes on this wall, but I should be able to check if it poses us any risk."

Spoiler: Search for magical traps
    Show

(1d20+21)[28]

Assuming it he doesn't find any immediate threats, he'll press his hand against the wall to confirm it before scouting the area for an easy place to scale it.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

The salamander slithers up and down a few tens of feet searching for breaks, traps or other features but the wall appears to be unbreached. Yje ruins outside the walls near complete and buried and lifeless.

To the undead and evil detecting cantrips of the casters the wall does not appear as either. The obsidian plain and featureless. With a scaled and massive clawed hand Shazadrax reaches out and touches it....

Immediately his body goes rigid, a strangled croaking owl bursting from his lips and smoke pours from his mouth and ears, tail flapping and uncoiling before with a final spasmodic jerk he lies still, small fires burning on the ground beside the body

Alyssa/ Baevard
    Spoiler
    Show

The pair of you can see the Salamander's eyes are slightly open and that he appears to be holding his breath and feigning death. Maybe some sort of strange Salamander's humour

13. - Top - End - #43

Baervard

"Tis no time for games." Baervard says to Shazardrax. "I care not for these unasked for visions..."

He stoops down to the ground before the obsidian circle and sweeps away grass to find the hard pack dirt and stone. "I'd not like to climb upon those runes, so we can have our own bridge." He says and forms his hand into a fist and thrusts it towards the sky. A solid stone road leaps from the ground like a fish jumping from a river and it arcs over the obsidian ring to slam onto the ground on the other side. He stamps his foot on the stone bridge and nods then goes over to help the salamander get up.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Wall of Stone to form a bridge over the obsidian ring. He's got 18 5ft squares (90ft) by halving the thickness (to 1.5 inch thick), so that should be enough to get up 30ft, cross the 5ft width, and then down the other 30ft to the ground.

If Shazardax was injured Baervard will spend a charge from his wand of Lesser Vigor (+11 HP).
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Alyssa stood to the side, lost in thought as she considered the groups predicament. Upon meeting the others, she had been impressed by their abilities and varied personalities ... and perhaps one or two had been impressed by her own power; especially wrapped in one who looked more waif than high priestess and mage. During the evening before, she had spoken little, and listened to the others. Even now, she seemed withdrawn, but perhaps it was simply a bit of shellshock, being among such grand heroes.

The sudden appearance of the vision had startled her, but she recovered quickly, staring for long moments as she assessed what this all meant. Quiet, she studied the ring before them ... until the Salamander touched it and suddenly convulsed.

At first, she was concerned, but then when she saw that it was a ruse, she laughed softly, poking at the large beast with a single, delicate toe. "Rise, mighty drake ... something as simple as a barrier to the walking dead should have little effect one one of your ability." Turning to the others, she shared what she had learned from the vision. "The symbols upon the man's crown, and across the city, were ancient Nerull. As I recall, that ring is an ancient artifact of elvish design, created by the blood and lifeforce sacrifice of a host of elves and eladrin ... it was designed to place a mighty barrier to entrap an ancient and terrible evil. Perhaps even this fell undead lord ...

In addition to what others have said, the boundary is designed to destroy any undead cross its threshold."

Spoiler
    Show

Current effects:
    - chain of eyes (20 hrs)
    - endure elements (2 days)
    - quick potion (20 hrs)
    - celestial brilliance (20 days)
    - heart of earth (20 hrs)
    - prying eyes (20 hrs)

Spells memorized
    Spoiler: Divine
    Show
    0 (6): detect magic x2, light x2, amanuensis, message
    1 (6+1): endure elements, protection from evil x2, shield of faith x2, divine favor, burning hands
    2 (6+1): resist energy x2, consecrate, lesser restoration x2, remove paralysis, detect thoughts
    3 (4+1): dispel magic x2, remove curse, wind wall, searing light
    4 (4+1): celestial brilliance, restoration, spell immunity, death ward, holy smite
    5 (3+1): disrupting weapon, flame strike, plane shift, true seeing

Spoiler: Arcane
    Show
    0 (4+1): caltrops, silent portal x2, prestidigitation, acid splash
    1 (6+1): chain of eyes, lessor orb of fire x2, true casting, shield x2, mage armor
    2 (5+1): quick potion x2, alter self, scorching ray, seeking ray, web
    3 (4+1): fireball, greater mage armor, greater disrupt undead, fly, stinking cloud
    4 (4+1): resilient sphere, assay spell resistance, orb of fire, heart of earth, summon monster IV
    5 (3+1): prying eyes, firebrand, earth reaver, wall of stone
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Grillin nods and says, "Well done, now. It seems we are required to enter a barrier meant to bar undead...meaning it is crawling. If your preparations are ready, let's go." He then floats up, though pauses part way and looks at the other, and begins muttering to himself while waiting for them to get a move on.
    DrK's Gestalt - Grillin

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Jeb grew more concerned with each vision and as each person revealed more about what their opinions were related to the ruins and visions they saw before them.

"I worry about the ones who were strong enough to bind the undead in place but not strong enough to eradicate them. I wonder why they never returned to finish the job. There may be several horrors past this barrier. Let's get moving, time to finish their work for them." Talking as a cave troll was strange as always. It seemed to take twice as long to talk as normal and his voice was grumbled and scratched with each sound.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

His ruse sadly seen through the salamander joins the others as they ascend the impressive arch of stone created by the rugged dwarf. Even though its magically created stone work it still seems finely designed, with an appreciation of balance and counterweight and with the sturdy appearance of dwarven craftmanship.

As you crest the top you can all see the fine dusting of armour fragments and bone dust coating the top of the stone ring from undead or kyuss spawn beasts that have tried to cross over the last thousand years. The ring encloses the impressive ziggurat that as you are now within 200ft of it you can see the detailing and carving on the sides depicting worms and the skulls or Nerull.

The temple rises some 100ft into the air with 6 stepped platforms and a single stairway on the north face allowing you to reach the top of the ziggurat and the base of the strange spire that juts a further 120ft into the air. On the ground floor - only ~150 ft in front you a few steps lead into an elaborate archway wreathed in stones depictions of writing worms and topped with a leering skull seem to beckon you inwards...

As you begin to descend down to the parade ground surrounding the temple you can see the soil, blackened and dead undulating slightly. The area so thoroughly corrupted that thousands of tiny worms of kyuss writhe and wriggle in the tainted soil. As you begin to decsend steam and popping sounds fill the air, the celestial brilliance emanating like pure white light from Alyssa causing hundreds of the small creatures that have passed through to undeath to explode and vapourise...

Spoiler
    Show

So there is a ziggurat you can climb if you want or the open doorway leading into the ground level. The earth is filled with Kyuss worms (some vermin, some undead vermin). They aren't an official swarm. But if you pass out, lie on the ground or stop for a sleep they will try and climb into your head and eat your brain!

The undead ones are exploding as you move about due to the Celestial Brilliance aura.
    - Starbin:- What are you doing with your 12 little floating prying eyes at the moment?
    - Jeb and Grellin you can detect hundreds of tiny weak undead auras within 60ft but nothing with more than 1/4HD (i,e the tiny worms). Thoyne, detect evil is the same but even more (as it picks up the living and unliving worms).

18. - Top - End - #48

Goblin

Shazardrax

The salamander looks at Alyssa in admiration, "Very nice, Miliady. Remind me that if I should fall in battle, to do so at your feet. He was probably flying, so I don't know that we'll find anything out here, but I'll keep an eye out as best I can for any sign of Balakarde's passage. I am ready to enter this dark temple, unless you would prefer to do some additional scouting outside first."

Spoiler: For DRK
    Show

Shaz can't track, but he can use search periodically to see if he finds any tracks or signs of Balakarde's passage, maybe 1 round every 10 as they move he'll do a search check of his current square.

What's the radius on Alyssa's aura. If it's not massive, he'd like to test for his own comfort that the spawn of Kyuss are also susceptible to his heat aura (1d6 fire damage on touch).
    Last edited by Gnarnia; 2014-01-09 at 09:15 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Even as the party waits watching the towering temple in front of you all a selection of small orbs float away from Alyssa and begin to orbit the temple.
    All the while you are forced to move slowly to stop worms crawling your boots - all save the Salamander who is surrounded continually by a hissing and popping as worms (both living and dead) continually roast and die on his searing hot scales.

Spoiler
    Show

Worms - both living and dead cook as they touch you (they are like 1-2 hp vermin/ undead vermin) So you are probably the only PC that can lie down here and have a sleep without a brain worm infesting you!

Within seconds of flying away from her the orbs flutter back towards Alyssa as from the ground in front of the temple doorway a pair of tremendous beetles black as death burst out of the soil and a armoured figure steps out of the dark portal leading into the Ziggurat...

THe figure wears dark armour that hides much of his form from view but his skeletal visage and horrid stench reveal that he is nothing but some form of undead. Small green worms, their mouths lined with razor teeth crawl from the segments of his armour and its most gruesome feature are the eyes replaced by ravenous mouths of bloated worms! It looks at you and with a dry dusty voice pronounces your death!

"I Nezzarin first knight of Kyuss will devour your souls and raise you as slaves to the worm god to honour his glory!"

The beetles flanking him shuffle and twitch with unnatural speed, mandibles clacking and clicking in a rhythm that soon becomes maddening to listen to. The rotted and pitted shells evoke thoughts of ancient decay and unfathomable corruption and ting green worms drip from holes in the decaying exoskeleton.

The creatures pause before moving to attack, the beetles clicking rising to a maddening shriek in your ears and sending confusion and torment through your mind...

Spoiler
    Show

As you potter slowly forward they appear when you are 120ft from the door of the temple (so ~110ft from you guys)

wwwwwwDDDDDwwwwww
    BB BB
    BB K BB

W= door, D= door, K = knight and B= large beetles flanking the knight at 20ft away from him

Each round within 120ft or a beetle you need to make a DC20 Will save or be driven to your knees unable to act from the chittering beetles

Init 32! (see OOC)

At his command the two beetles scuttle forward with crunching pincers approaching rapidly! The knight himself speaks a dark blessing in acient Flan as his sinews grow with power and he strides forward drawing a dark blade that appears crafted from strange green material...

Spoiler
    Show

Their round 1. - assuming none of you beat Init 32

- Beetles scuttle forward 60ft (now 50ft from you)

Kyuss Knight - cast's Bull Strength (your spellcrafts will get it)
    - Advances 20ft (now 90ft from you)

Last edited by DrK; 2014-01-09 at 04:52 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50

Goblin

Shazardrax

The salamander tries to focus himself... to take a defensive stance... but all he can hear is the sound of thousand of insects... burrowing into his eardrums and into his brain. He holds his hands to his ears, grimacing, trying to block out the sound, but can manage little else.

21. - Top - End - #51

Baervard

"Take heart. It's already dead, we just need to remind it..." Baervard says as way of prayer. His warhammer was already in his hands and he grips it with both as he steps forward to meet the skeleton's advance.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Bless and then moving 20ft forward.

Knowledge (Religion) check for the intelligent skeleton. (1d20+3)[16]

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Jeb

Unaffected by the unnatural clicking sounds, though they do grate on his nerves, Jeb immediately says a quick prayer and adds "May your torment soon end upon this power of our lunar conquest," flinging out a moon bolt against the the undead knight.

Spoiler
    Show

(3d4)[6] points of STR damage to the knight. Fort DC 20 for half.
    Will DC20 or falls helpless for (1d4)[1] rounds.
    Spell resist (1d20+11)[13]

Edit: wow, those rolls.
    Last edited by Mishkov; 2014-01-09 at 08:36 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Thoyne grimaces as the undead creatures come forth and displays their unholy intent.

Fire burns in his badger eyes and his legs bulge with power as he prepares to take a leaping jump and bring the fight much closer.

He bursts forwards, his powerful legs pumping, he saws into the air from a jump, landing before a beetle and with a mighty swipe of his spear attempts impale the dread thing.

Spoiler: actions
    Show

swift: activate law devotion
    full round: Leaping charge attack
    Jump - (1d20+12)[28] (jumping last 10 ft, so DC 10)
    Power attack for -7, netting +21
    Attack - (1d20+18)[28] +2 to hit from bless & haste
    Damage - (1d8+34)[36] (magic/Piercing)
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2014-01-09 at 10:19 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Grillin grumbles rather colorful curses in 6 different languages as he faces the creatures.

Casting Haste on my turn, should be able to hit everyone. Duration 11 rounds
    DrK's Gestalt - Grillin

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Alyssa gasped as the undead knight rose, two giant beetles flanking either side of it. Clenching her fists, she was taken back to many a nightmare, many a horrible dream where hordes of shambling corpses attacked the church. She moved forward, keeping the others between her and the monsters, before raising a hand and flinging an arc of electricity towards the knight.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move forward 30, cast seeking ray. Attack w/touch attack: (1d20+6)[15], damage: (4d6)[11] ... can't remember about saves / SR, but DC is 17, and caster check is: (1d20+12)[22]

Go team!
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Pandemonium breaks out with the appearance of the undead apparitions. The worms leaping and writhing under the vile creature's advance. The massive salamander stops holding his head and thrashing about burning hundreds of worms to death as the insane chittering of the beetles drives like daggers into his head.

Even as the Salamander falters Baevard and Grilling move forward slightly, spells assisting their comrades flowing from them as the dwarven gods bless the party and arcane magic quickens the party leaving the undead moving in slow motion

The hulking troll and graceful aasimar are more offensive in their choice of spells, bolts of glittering moonlight streaming from the troll whilst a ray of crackling lightning from the woman slam into the Knight of Kyuss in a shower of magical flickering lights, and while linked Alyssa can see the ray itself merely flowed over the creatures body doing no harm!

Looking at them Alysaa and Baevard can see they are undead and vile beings but cannot recall any useful combat related information... Though the knight speaking suggests its a rather unique form of undead.

Spoiler
    Show

Chittering is mind affecting but not fear inducing
    Bless = +1 to hit and save Vs Fear
    Haste= +1 to hit, +1 dodge AC, extra attack on full attack, +30ft speed

Seeking Ray - Alyssa gets +4 to Rays Vs knight for 10 rounds!
    Moobolt Vs undead= Will DC 20 (1d20+17)[36]
    -- Pass = -2 on attack/ will saves for 1 minute
    -- Fail = as above, plus helpless for one round
    (The strength damage is only Vs living beasts)

Thoyne knows no doubts! And bounds forward before leaping into the air spear lancing down and slamming into the massive hulking exoskeleton leaving a large hole through which kyuss worms squirm.

Spoiler
    Show

Stabs beetle 1 for a total of 26 damage
    It has DR 10 / ???
    -- Was law devotion for AC or to hit?

The beetle gnashes its massive claws teeth and tries to rend the massive badger in twain! The second beetle rumbling forward and slamming into Baevard, the long mandible almost as the large as dwarven runesmith! Thoyne blessed by the gods and enhanced by the arcane magics dodges around the blows from the beetle as it seems to move in slow motion around him. Baevard is less lucky as the mandibles crush down upon his chest, only his finely wrought armour crafted by his own hand saving him from a truly mortal wound

Spoiler
    Show

Attacking thoyne
    -- Bite (1d20+19)[26] damage (4d6+11)[21] plus (2d6)[6] negative energy
    -- Claw (1d20+14)[26] damage (1d6+5)[7]
    -- Claw (1d20+14)[19] damage (1d6+5)[9]

(Crit possible on 15+ for the bite -(1d20+19)[36] damage (4d6+11)[32])

EDIT: I think you are saved by the haste bonus (AC 26 with the charge -2, then +1 for haste.... lucky )

Charge Baevard
    -- Bite (1d20+19)[39] damage (4d6+11)[18] plus (2d6)[7] negative energy
    (Crit possible on 15+ for the bite -(1d20+19)[29] damage (4d6+11)[22])

25 damage to Baevard

The knight see's THoyne leap forward and races forward to engage Thoyne, a rasping "Your fur will adorn my chambers as a token of your pathetic skills..", the unholy blade slashing into Thoyne's side finding a gap in the dwarven plate.

Spoiler
    Show

Charge thoyne...
    (1d20+22)[31] damage (1d10+15)[16] plus (2d6)[11] unholy

-- hits for 6 damage + 11 unholy after DR (its not a silver sword)

Spoiler
    Show

Squares are 10ft squares due to limitation in my mapping program
    Last edited by DrK; 2014-01-10 at 04:44 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57

Baervard

When the beetles come to you...strike! Baervard shrugs off the nasty bite from the oversized roach and swings his warhammer at the top of the beetles hard shell, trying to crack it open. "Help Thoyne, I've got this one!" He grunts to his allies.

Spoiler
    Show
    Full Attack, Power Attack for -5.

Attack (1d20+17)[34]
    Damage (1d8+27)[35]

Attack (1d20+17)[27]
    Damage (1d8+27)[32]

Attack (1d20+12)[27]
    Damage (1d8+27)[30]

Attack (1d20+7)[8]
    Damage (1d8+27)[31]

Baervard
    HP 100/125

28. - Top - End - #58

Goblin

Shazardrax

The salamander is finally able to push the chittering sound out of his head and springs into action, thrusting his spear into the nearest beetle as his tail lashes out.

Spoiler: Combat Stuff
    Show

If that beetle near Shaz is still alive when his initiative comes up (he acts on initiative 10), he'll perform a full attack.

If it's already dead, he'll remain guard over Grillin & Alyssa, planting his spear against a charge and you can use his first spear attack as his readied attack if needed, and his tail attack as his attack of opportunity if one of them passes all the way through a threatened square while closing to melee (but increase attack roll by +2 and physical damage by 8 from what's mentioned below when used as ATOO since it's being used as a primary attack in that situation).

Full Attack Action (+1 morale bonus from bless, and +1 untyped bonus from haste included)

Spear Thrust 1: [roll0]
    Spear Thrust 1 Damage: [roll1] Physical plus [roll2] Fire

Haste Bonus Thrust: [roll3]
    Haste Bonus Thrust Damage: [roll4] Physical plus [roll5] Fire

Spear Thrust 2: [roll6]
    Spear Thrust 2 Damage: [roll7] Physical plus [roll8] Fire

Tail Whip: [roll9]
    Tail Whip Damage: [roll10] Physical plus [roll11] Fire
    Tail Whip Grapple Check (includes bonus from imp grapple feat): [roll12]
    Tail Whip Constrict Damage (if Grapple is successful): [roll13] Physical plus [roll14] Fire

29. - Top - End - #59

Goblin

Shazardrax

(sigh, let's try that again. Apparently previewing a post with dice rolls in it messes it up)

Spoiler: Combat Stuff
    Show

If that beetle near Shaz is still alive when his initiative comes up (he acts on initiative 10), he'll perform a full attack.

If it's already dead, he'll remain guard over Grillin & Alyssa, planting his spear against a charge and you can use his first spear attack as his readied attack if needed, and his tail attack as his attack of opportunity if one of them passes all the way through a threatened square while closing to melee (but increase attack roll by +2 and physical damage by 8 from what's mentioned below when used as ATOO since it's being used as a primary attack in that situation).

Full Attack Action (+1 morale bonus from bless, and +1 untyped bonus from haste included)

Spear Thrust 1: (1d20+23)[7](30)
    Spear Thrust 1 Damage: (1d8+15)[21] Physical plus (1d6)[5] Fire

Haste Bonus Thrust: (1d20+23)[15](38)
    Haste Bonus Thrust Damage: (1d8+15)[17] Physical plus (1d6)[5] Fire

Spear Thrust 2: (1d20+18)[13](31)
    Spear Thrust 2 Damage: (1d8+15)[19] Physical plus (1d6)[1] Fire

Tail Whip: (1d20+18)[19](37)
    Tail Whip Damage: (2d6+4)[13] Physical plus (1d6)[1] Fire
    Tail Whip Grapple Check (includes bonus from imp grapple feat): (1d20+12)[32]
    Tail Whip Constrict Damage (if Grapple is successful): (2d6+4)[9] Physical plus (1d6)[6] Fire

Edit: Much better. Natural 20 on my grapple check too :)
    Note I did a rollv on the attack rolls, so the second number in parentheses is the final number. I was trying to make it easier to see crit threats.
    Last edited by Gnarnia; 2014-01-10 at 11:20 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Jeb

The shapeshifter was disappointed at the skeleton still standing, but knew he had to assist in combat now in a more physical manner. Time to unleash a troll's fury on these beasts. He lashes out at the closest beetle in range. The knight may be the most dangerous but the sounds the beetles were making were clearly the most rage-inducing. He did not want his allies to lose their heads.

Spoiler
    Show
    Full attack on Z19

I'm not sure if those beetles are undead and evil or not, so I'll add notes if they are.

DR is +2/magic good

Claw 1: (1d20+20)[24] to hit, (2d6+11)[23] damage +2 damage vs undead, +(1d6+2)[4] +(1d4)[3] damage if evil and undead
    Claw 2: (1d20+20)[23] to hit, (2d6+11)[20] damage +2 damage vs undead, +(1d6+2)[8] +(1d4)[3] damage if evil and undead

If both claws hit, DC22 fort vs daze for one round
    If both claws hit, (4d6+13)[20] damage from rend, with +2 damage vs undead, +(1d6+2)[8] +(1d4)[3] damage if evil and undead

Bite 1: (1d20+15)[28] to hit, (1d8+6)[9] damage +2 damage vs undead, +(1d6+2)[4] +(1d4)[3] damage if evil and undead

If one claw hits: Improved grap: (1d20+21)[32], Rend damage if grappling:

Rake 1: (1d20+15)[33] to hit, damage is (2d6+6)[9] , +2 damage vs undead, +(1d6+2)[6] +(1d4)[4] damage if evil and undead
    Rake 2: (1d20+15)[25] to hit, damage is (2d6+6)[12] , +2 damage vs undead, +(1d6+2)[8] +(1d4)[3] damage if evil and undead

IF EVIL, all hits (VS touch AC) require a DC14 fort save or they take (1d6)[6] initial dex damage, (2d6)[9] dex secondary damage

Edit: needed to bold those names and WOW those rolls
    Last edited by Mishkov; 2014-01-10 at 09:28 AM.