New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Why are dwarves scottish?

Basically what it says, in the overwhelming majority of english language fantasy works dealing with dwarves they speak with a scottish accent. Why? Who started it? I don't recall Gimli being described as rolling his rs in the books after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Why are dwarves scottish?

I've been led to believe it was started by Poul Anderson's Three Hearts and Three Lions which had a Dwarf character that spoke in-universe with an archaic and rustic dialect of French which manifested - when translated by the protagonist/author - into a very accented form of English that has some feel of Scottish to it. As these ideas tend to drift, that French Dwarf with a kinda-Scottish accent was the seed for an explicitly Scottish Dwarf at some point.

I strongly suspect Dungeons & Dragons is the main source of the now-popular image in this case.
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2017-10-18 at 10:36 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, there's Warhammer Fantasy but the Dwarves spoke Northern English accent.
    Consider the inability for non-British audience to differentiate Scottish and Northern English accent.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thorgrim29 View Post
    Basically what it says, in the overwhelming majority of english language fantasy works dealing with dwarves they speak with a scottish accent. Why? Who started it? I don't recall Gimli being described as rolling his rs in the books after all.
    Same reason that Elves sound high-class English, leprechauns sound Irish, vampires sound Eastern European, etc. - because they've sounded like that for long enough that its become 'standard'.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    Same reason that Elves sound high-class English, leprechauns sound Irish, vampires sound Eastern European, etc. - because they've sounded like that for long enough that its become 'standard'.
    The question sounds more like "What source first gave a dwarf a Scottish accent" though.

At a guess, I would say, a The Hobbit or LOTR animated movie or audio cassette.

Possibly a very early computer game like Warcraft 2? It had dwarves in 1995, but I don't know if they had overt accents.

After looking it up on TV Tropes - Arcanum, back in 2001, is called out as having "one of the earliest examples of Dwarves with Scottish accents" around the time Fellowship of the Ring came out.

Book 3 in the Gotrek & Felix series - Daemonslayer - was in 1999 and had Malakai Makaisson - with an accurate (if slightly extreme) Scottish accent - but he was very much an exception when it came to Warhammer Dwarf accents.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2017-10-19 at 06:47 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

While I'm no more enlightened on an initial source, I suspect the reasons for it come down to Dwarvish culture matching that of stereotypical Scottish culture. Burly guys that live in the mountains with big beards that love quaffing beers and enjoy nothing more than a good scrap. Dwarves developing a Scottish accent was probably inevitable.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    While I'm no more enlightened on an initial source, I suspect the reasons for it come down to Dwarvish culture matching that of stereotypical Scottish culture. Burly guys that live in the mountains with big beards that love quaffing beers and enjoy nothing more than a good scrap. Dwarves developing a Scottish accent was probably inevitable.
    You can make that kind of argument several ways, and honestly "Scottish" is not the one that I assumed when I started reading about dwarves and elves.

For example, blond braided beer drinkers with horned helmets and berserker fighters sounds far more Nordic/Germanic than Scottish to me, and indeed this was my assumption way back before the Internet.

Alternatively, armoured infantry with large shields, over reliance on infantry & siege engines over cavalry and famed for massive construction projects in stone? Clearly Romans.

Or you can split the difference, note their passion for living in mountains and accumulating gold, and their reluctance to join wars that don't concern them and say they are Swiss.

In any case, relevant article from atlas obscura.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-10-19 at 09:06 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

8. - Top - End - #8

True, but our local dwarves here in Switzerland are quite small, never noted to be burly, never seem to carry weapons in any story and mostly rely on illusions and curses. I've also never seen alcohol mentioned in any of the stories.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    True, but our local dwarves here in Switzerland are quite small, never noted to be burly, never seem to carry weapons in any story and mostly rely on illusions and curses. I've also never seen alcohol mentioned in any of the stories.
    I honestly only came up with the "reasoning" for "dwarves are swiss" as I was writing the post, because I realised that geographically between the other two reasonings there are big mountains and banks. It was a stretch, and I don't pretend otherwise.

I learnt all my cliches about European nations from a single source, Asterix. So to my mind, the swiss are this:

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-10-19 at 09:05 AM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

For what it's worth:

Tolkien also commented of the Dwarves that "their words are Semitic obviously, constructed to be Semitic."
    The original Hobbit and LOTR cartoons didn't have any particularly Scottish-sounding dwarves. Thorin was played by Hans Conried (an American also famous for voicing Captain Hook). Gimli had about two lines in the Bakshi cartoon.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    "their words are Semitic obviously, constructed to be Semitic."
    For futher what is worth, in Pratchett, there are strong parallels between the Dwarven culture and the RL Jewish culture, especially in how the humans react to their presence. Similar parallels are done (probably independently) in Edding's Belgariad with the Ulgos, who are technically not Dwarves, but might as well be.

GW

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've always played my dwarves as Norse, and find the "Scottish dwarves" trope kind of baffling.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    You can make that kind of argument several ways, and honestly "Scottish" is not the one that I assumed when I started reading about dwarves and elves.

For example, blond braided beer drinkers with horned helmets and berserker fighters sounds far more Nordic/Germanic than Scottish to me, and indeed this was my assumption way back before the Internet.

Alternatively, armoured infantry with large shields, over reliance on infantry & siege engines over cavalry and famed for massive construction projects in stone? Clearly Romans.

Or you can split the difference, note their passion for living in mountains and accumulating gold, and their reluctance to join wars that don't concern them and say they are Swiss.

In any case, relevant article from atlas obscura.

Grey Wolf
    It definitely makes more sense for dwarves to be associated with Scandinavian cultures than Scottish, but I wonder if it just ended up being Scottish because there isn't really a stereotypical Viking accent in American pop culture.

I mean, the closest thing I can think of is the Swedish Chef, and no one could take dwarves even remotely seriously if they used that accent.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    It definitely makes more sense for dwarves to be associated with Scandinavian cultures than Scottish, but I wonder if it just ended up being Scottish because there isn't really a stereotypical Viking accent in American pop culture.

I mean, the closest thing I can think of is the Swedish Chef, and no one could take dwarves even remotely seriously if they used that accent.
    That merely begs the question of why dwarves need a RL regional accent in the first place.

GW

15. - Top - End - #15

Well, they need to speak something if voice acted, and training entire teams of voice actors in a fictional dialect is probably a bit much unnecessary work.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

Norse accents would be the closest to the mythical inspiration, but most people don't know what a Viking would have actually sounded like. Why Germanic accents and culture is rarely used for dwarves I'm less certain about, as there is a lot of cultural overlap there, and Dwarven tendency towards lawfulness could fit with the stereotype of German efficiency. But Scotsmen and Vikings certainly get associated with each other in popular consciousness, even if it was mostly in the form of a state of war IRL. Scottish accents are distinctive, thick, and aggressive, and associated with hairy, hard-drinking, hard fighting men who live in a clan structure.
    Take my love, take my land
    Take me where I cannot stand.
    I don't care, I'm still free,
    You can't take the sky from me.

Defender of

Don't make me trot out Smite Moron!

Thanks to Sneak for the Avatar.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Well, they need to speak something if voice acted, and training entire teams of voice actors in a fictional dialect is probably a bit much unnecessary work.
    This really does not follow. Merry and Pippin in LotR film managed to pronounce "pint" in two different ways ("This my friend, is a paint" "It comes in peints?"), despite being from the same town* and practically attached at the hip. The elves don't seem to have any particular accent. You can have the dwarves equally speaking generic English.

I'm struggling to think of any other fantasy race in film or TV that "has" a regional accent like the dwarves have. I don't know enough about Star Trek, but do Klingons/Romulans/Vulcans have an accent? Because I believe most just happen to be allowed to speak English in the manner of their actor's choosing (as the joke goes, Picard is the most British French person in history). There is no rule that says that fantasy races need to have a specific RL regional accent.

Grey Wolf

*In the film
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-10-19 at 01:14 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    This really does not follow. Merry and Pippin in LotR film managed to pronounce "pint" in two different ways ("This my friend, is a paint" "It comes in peints?"), despite being from the same town* and practically attached at the hip. The elves don't seem to have any particular accent. You can have the dwarves equally speaking generic English.

I'm struggling to think of any other fantasy race in film or TV that "has" a regional accent like the dwarves have. I don't know enough about Star Trek, but do Klingons/Romulans/Vulcans have an accent? Because I believe most just happen to be allowed to speak English in the manner of their actor's choosing (as the joke goes, Picard is the most British French person in history). There is no rule that says that fantasy races need to have a specific RL regional accent.

Grey Wolf

*In the film
    Actually, Merry and Pippin don't come from the same town. Merry is from Buckland, across the river Brandywine, which the hobbits of Hobbiton consider to be practically a foreign country. The maps included don't make it especially clear, but the Shire isn't just one giant town, its a country to itself. More than one, depending on who you ask.

Yes, even in the film.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2017-10-19 at 01:25 PM.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Actually, Merry and Pippin don't come from the same town. Merry is from Buckland, across the river Brandywine, which the hobbits of Hobbiton consider to be practically a foreign country. The maps included don't make it especially clear, but the Shire isn't just one giant town, its a country to itself. More than one, depending on who you ask.

Yes, even in the film.
    Thank of the Shire as Pennsylvania or New York from the 1700 or 1800s, Pittsburgh is not Philadelphia, which is not Erie and so on...yet they all belong to the same state.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Thank of the Shire as Pennsylvania or New York from the 1700 or 1800s, Pittsburgh is not Philadelphia, which is not Erie and so on...yet they all belong to the same state.
    I live in PA. I'm not convinced that the people who live across state even speak English.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post

I thought Vikings also get Scottish accents; at least they did in How to Train Your Dragon. In the Capital One Viking commercials, they seem to have English/British accents, but I'm not an expert in all the British regional accents.

Ancient Romans or Greeks get British accents.
    Last edited by Joran; 2017-10-19 at 02:18 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

I live in PA. I'm not convinced that the people who live across state even speak English.
    Just like the hobbits who are from the Shire think Buckland are so quaint and vice versa.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

From Erie originally. One of my classmates put it this way: "Erie and Pittsburgh are like Han and Chewie. We're probably the only ones who understand what they're saying, but we can't speak it."

(I usually followed up in my head, "... and they've been known to rip people's arms off if you make fun of them for it.")
    Last edited by Telonius; 2017-10-19 at 02:34 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Just like the hobbits who are from the Shire think Buckland are so quaint and vice versa.
    Yes? Whats your point? Are you trying to suggest that since the Shire has so many different accents, it would make sense that Dwarves... have the same accent as elves and humans?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes? Whats your point? Are you trying to suggest that since the Shire has so many different accents, it would make sense that Dwarves... have the same accent as elves and humans?
    Alternatively, it's weird that Dwarves generally sound Scottish when Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin all have distinct accents despite living in geographically close areas, when dwarven kingdoms are somewhat scattered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    Alternatively, it's weird that Dwarves generally sound Scottish when Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin all have distinct accents despite living in geographically close areas, when dwarven kingdoms are somewhat scattered.
    In the Hobbit movies, all the dwarves actually have different accents. In the LOTR movies, as far as I'm aware, Gimli is the only dwarf with a speaking role.

They actually had Gloin's accent match Gimli's even. And Oin's as well, I think, but its harder to tell who's speaking.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2017-10-19 at 03:16 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by thorgrim29 View Post
    I think this is your perception.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    Why Germanic accents and culture is rarely used for dwarves I'm less certain about.
    Because dwarves are usually portrayed as being among the good guys, and no on wants to here them talk and think of the Third Reich.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    The question sounds more like "What source first gave a dwarf a Scottish accent" though.

At a guess, I would say, a The Hobbit or LOTR animated movie or audio cassette.
    Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    Because dwarves are usually portrayed as being among the good guys, and no on wants to here them talk and think of the Third Reich.
    You made me think back to The Hobbit cartoon I saw back in the 70's. None of the characters had strong accents with the exception of the Elven King who was played by Otto Preminger and thus an Austrian accent.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Gimli is everyone's favorite dwarf (or should be) and he is Scottish. Everyone looks up (or down) to him.
    "Sons of Gondor! Of Rohan! My brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me! A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields when the age of Men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand! Men of the West!" -Aragorn, Lord of the Rings

I'm 8BitNinja's Brother