New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Metal Thread VIII-Playgroundklok

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    You know, for some really weird reason, I've been reading "Blind Guardian" as "Dream Theatre" this whole time.

This is awkward.
    Judging...
    Just kidding, I still love you
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

2. - Top - End - #362
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't have anything to contribute to a discussion involving Blind Guardian, so instead, here's a top 100 album list thing I just wasted an hour of my time organising. It probably won't provoke any discussion or anything, but who knows, somebody might just find a new album they enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Troll in the Playground

aaaaah new Symphony X album in the works aaaaah

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    I don't have anything to contribute to a discussion involving Blind Guardian, so instead, here's a top 100 album list thing I just wasted an hour of my time organising. It probably won't provoke any discussion or anything, but who knows, somebody might just find a new album they enjoy.
    Oh yeah, I seem to recall I had one of those at some point too. Top 50 though, I think. Might have changed in the meantime. I'll dig it up.

You've got Kveldssanger on there, which is always good.

And Siouxsie and the Banshees! Heh.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

4. - Top - End - #364

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Oh yeah, I seem to recall I had one of those at some point too. Top 50 though, I think. Might have changed in the meantime. I'll dig it up.

You've got Kveldssanger on there, which is always good.

And Siouxsie and the Banshees! Heh.
    If you find it, post it up! I was actually inspired to do one after I found a couple good albums from bands I'd never heard of before by looking at somebody else's, so who knows, I might find something new from yours, too :v

And I actually haven't heard any other Ulver. I heard that Kveldssanger was an anomaly and their other albums are black metal, which is why I checked that one out first and foremost, but I figure I should probably try out some of their other **** too.

Had to have Siouxsie on there, though. I was somewhat torn between Tinderbox and The Scream, but the former won out by a narrow margin thanks to Cannons. That damn song probably accounts for about half of my Siouxsie and the Banshees listening.
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ogre in the Playground

I really wanna look but the link seems broken :/
    My Metal Blog
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.

6. - Top - End - #366

Huh. It worked just now. Try it again?

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ogre in the Playground

Huh. It worked just now. Try it again?
    There we go,
    I like the wu tang clan in the top 10 :P
    Interesting your favorite death record is leprosy, personally I don't know if i could pick a favorite...

Otherwise a good list through and through. I didn't know you liked jazz comrade! We need to talk about that, i friggin love jazz
    My Metal Blog

8. - Top - End - #368

I can't claim to be a huge fan, or thoroughly well versed in the genre, but I do like a fair bit, and Weather Report and Pat Metheny are perennial favourites. I'm always open to recommendations, though.

As for Death... honestly, I was torn between Individual Thought Patterns and Leprosy. If asked, I'd probably rank them both as tied for first, but I didn't want to have two albums by the same band in the top 10, so I ended up going with Leprosy, just because I still believe that's the album where death metal really shook off thrash and came into its own.

Glad you liked the list, though!
    Last edited by Comrade; 2014-07-17 at 12:22 AM.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Troll in the Playground

I might as well just make a whole new list. Sigh.

And I actually haven't heard any other Ulver. I heard that Kveldssanger was an anomaly and their other albums are black metal, which is why I checked that one out first and foremost, but I figure I should probably try out some of their other **** too.

Had to have Siouxsie on there, though. I was somewhat torn between Tinderbox and The Scream, but the former won out by a narrow margin thanks to Cannons. That damn song probably accounts for about half of my Siouxsie and the Banshees listening.
    Ulver is great. But only Nattens Madrigal is really black metal. Their first album Bergtatt is way more folky (like Kveldssanger, but metal). It's excellent, though. And everything after that are various sorts of experimental electro-ambient-whatever. Ulver literally has no set genre. Most of what they do is really really good, though. Specifically, Shadows of the Sun is a sort-of dark ambient album, and it's one of my favourites ever.

Tinderbox happens to be my favourite as well. I never liked bands like The Cure and so on as much as I did Siouxsie.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

So I spontaneously got tickets to see Deathstars again in November.

They were one of the best live Metal bands I've seen so far, (alongside Saxon and Kamelot) So I'm pretty excited.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ogre in the Playground

I wouldn't mind seeing Deathstars. They have a very prominent place in my Pandora.
    Long live the Ceikatar!

Here Be Dragons

12. - Top - End - #372

Just got back from a show that included Dying Fetus, Origin, Goatwhore, Fallujah, and Decrepit Birth (Morbid Angel was supposed to be on the bill, but they didn't show for one reason or another). I have come away from this show with two new thoughts: one, Origin puts on a ****ing amazing live show and I should listen to some of their albums again with this in mind. Two, all hopcore kids should be rounded up and summarily shot.

EDIT: Oh, and Chuck Billy was there too, interestingly enough. He's not nearly as huge as people seem to always say he is.
    Last edited by Comrade; 2014-07-19 at 01:03 AM.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ogre in the Playground

I can't claim to be a huge fan, or thoroughly well versed in the genre, but I do like a fair bit, and Weather Report and Pat Metheny are perennial favourites. I'm always open to recommendations, though.

As for Death... honestly, I was torn between Individual Thought Patterns and Leprosy. If asked, I'd probably rank them both as tied for first, but I didn't want to have two albums by the same band in the top 10, so I ended up going with Leprosy, just because I still believe that's the album where death metal really shook off thrash and came into its own.
    Do you know Guthrie Govan or his band The Aristocrats? The Aristocrats have Bryan Beller from Dethklok, Steve Vai and Ephel Duath and Marco Minneman from Necrophagist, Ephel Duath and some other cool stuff
    My Metal Blog

14. - Top - End - #374

This is a thing and you should all know about it if you don't already.

Sleep is the band that got me to stop saying "I don't really like metal...well, maybe some Maiden. And if Faith No More counts." And now I'm realizing that Dopesmoker was 20 years ago and I am old.

15. - Top - End - #375

Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    Do you know Guthrie Govan or his band The Aristocrats? The Aristocrats have Bryan Beller from Dethklok, Steve Vai and Ephel Duath and Marco Minneman from Necrophagist, Ephel Duath and some other cool stuff
    The name of Guthrie Govan was familiar, probably due to proximity with other guitarists who achieved infamy through Youtube like Jack Gardiner and Damjan Pejcinoski (both of whom, by the way, are phenomenal musicians). Never heard of the Aristocrats though. I've checked out a couple of their songs on youtube and it's interesting stuff, but doesn't seem to be quite to my taste. Hell of a mix of musicians, though!

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
    This is a thing and you should all know about it if you don't already.

Sleep is the band that got me to stop saying "I don't really like metal...well, maybe some Maiden. And if Faith No More counts." And now I'm realizing that Dopesmoker was 20 years ago and I am old.
    How about this
    Dopesmoker came out before I was born

NOW you feel old
    My Metal Blog

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

I am going to running on sheer glee today. And probably for awhile.

New Emigrate album will be released October 17! Already pre-ordered!

*SQUEEEEEEEEEE!*

Last edited by EmeraldRose; 2014-07-24 at 10:20 AM.
    Long live the Ceikatar!

Here Be Dragons

18. - Top - End - #378
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldRose View Post
    New Emigrate album will be released October 17! Already pre-ordered!
    Oh yeah, that one's been in the works a while now, hasn't it.

I, meanwhile, have been jamming to Slough Feg like there's no tomorrow.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

I won't go into the incredibly random way I found these guys, but have any of you heard their stuff before? I am going to have to listen to some more definitely!

Long live the Ceikatar!

Here Be Dragons

20. - Top - End - #380

Also, anybody who's into sludge, doom, crust, or any combination thereof should check out Augurs. I went to a show they were playing at a few days ago, and though I didn't really enjoy the other bands on the bill (there were only two) they definitely made a fan out of me that night. Really great, crusty sludge that's as much at home playing at blasting speed as they are at a drudging doom pace.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldRose View Post
    I won't go into the incredibly random way I found these guys, but have any of you heard their stuff before? I am going to have to listen to some more definitely!
    Never heard of them before, but yeah, I can dig it I'll check out some more.

Also, anybody who's into sludge, doom, crust, or any combination thereof should check out Augurs. I went to a show they were playing at a few days ago, and though I didn't really enjoy the other bands on the bill (there were only two) they definitely made a fan out of me that night. Really great, crusty sludge that's as much at home playing at blasting speed as they are at a drudging doom pace.
    I'm more for the stonery doom (also the more trad stuff) but I'll check this out as well.

...I'll pretty much check out everything you people tell me to -_-
    Last edited by Feytalist; 2014-07-29 at 03:40 AM.

22. - Top - End - #382

I'm more for the stonery doom (also the more trad stuff) but I'll check this out as well.

...I'll pretty much check out everything you people tell me to -_-
    If that's the case (and that can be applied to both sentences ) you might like the other two bands that were on the bill, Yob and Black Cobra. They're both of a more stoner doom variant, which is probably why I wasn't so into them as I was into Augurs.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Troll in the Playground

If that's the case (and that can be applied to both sentences ) you might like the other two bands that were on the bill, Yob and Black Cobra. They're both of a more stoner doom variant, which is probably why I wasn't so into them as I was into Augurs.
    HOLY **** THOSE RIFFS

I had to physically move away from my speakers. The vocalist sucks, but the music is most excellent.

I'll check it out again when they have something more than a demo and an EP out.

Yob I know. They're pretty good, as I recall. Pretty much the type of stuff I like.

News! Panopticon has a whole new album released. Listening to it now. It's not quite Kentucky, but then I don't imagine anything will be.

Also, Winterfylleth is releasing a new album in a couple of months. This is probably my new favourite bit of news. I've loved pretty much everything they've done so far. Now, if only Wodensthrone will do the same :/

24. - Top - End - #384

HOLY **** THOSE RIFFS

I had to physically move away from my speakers. The vocalist sucks, but the music is most excellent.

I'll check it out again when they have something more than a demo and an EP out.

Yob I know. They're pretty good, as I recall. Pretty much the type of stuff I like.
    Of course one of the primary reasons I got into the band is also the one thing you disliked But he does have a pretty great energy going on stage, so maybe that affected my perception of the quality of the vocals. I think they're pretty great, though.

On the other hand, my thoughts on Yob are more or less a direct inversion of your thoughts on Augurs. I think the vocalist is just brilliant-- really versatile, incredibly diverse, and talented in every one of the wide variety of vocal styles he commands. But the music... ugh. I'd sooner sit through replay after replay of Gorguts' Obscura than listen to a single Yob album all the way through (again). But apparently he does vocals for another band called Vhöl, which I've been meaning to check out. Blackened crust with power metal influences? I'm down.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Troll in the Playground

Of course one of the primary reasons I got into the band is also the one thing you disliked But he does have a pretty great energy going on stage, so maybe that affected my perception of the quality of the vocals. I think they're pretty great, though.

On the other hand, my thoughts on Yob are more or less a direct inversion of your thoughts on Augurs. I think the vocalist is just brilliant-- really versatile, incredibly diverse, and talented in every one of the wide variety of vocal styles he commands. But the music... ugh. I'd sooner sit through replay after replay of Gorguts' Obscura than listen to a single Yob album all the way through (again). But apparently he does vocals for another band called Vhöl, which I've been meaning to check out. Blackened crust with power metal influences? I'm down.
    So, basically, we just have completely opposite tastes in metal, heh.

Yob does that glacial, supertanker, implacable riff so well. I love it. I do enjoy Mike Scheidt's vocals as well though. Even his clean vocals.

But yeah, do yourself a favour and listen to Vhöl. It's amazing, and there's nothing quite like it. Maybe it bounces around between styles a bit too much, but it's mostly good stuff. Scheidt does mostly screams, which fit really well. Some killer guitar work there too.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ogre in the Playground

Are we talking about Doom metal? OH BOY!
    Can I once more point out the glories of SubRosa?
    I'm driving 4 hours to see them in New York this weekend!
    My Metal Blog

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you for this. Especially thank you for the full album! It is the perfect background music for my social policy class tonight!

EDIT: I don't normally like female singers, but it works. I like it so far, about 15 minutes in. Sort of Jane's Addiction sound...
    Last edited by EmeraldRose; 2014-07-29 at 06:16 PM.
    Long live the Ceikatar!

Here Be Dragons

28. - Top - End - #388

So, basically, we just have completely opposite tastes in metal, heh.

Yob does that glacial, supertanker, implacable riff so well. I love it. I do enjoy Mike Scheidt's vocals as well though. Even his clean vocals.

But yeah, do yourself a favour and listen to Vhöl. It's amazing, and there's nothing quite like it. Maybe it bounces around between styles a bit too much, but it's mostly good stuff. Scheidt does mostly screams, which fit really well. Some killer guitar work there too.
    Well, we can agree on Augurs, at the very least :v

Vhöl's got its moments, though I can't say it's the sort of thing I would listen to very often. The crustier, d-beat moments were particularly fun, and the vocals, as expected, were great, though not as diverse as with Yob.

Anyway, on another note, anybody and everybody who's into black metal (which seems to be... most everybody who regularly posts in this thread) and neoclassical absolutely must check out Aquilus' Griseus. It's hands down one of the most amazing albums I've heard all year.

29. - Top - End - #389

I'll just throw in another word for Dark Buddha Rising, Drug Honkey and Mournful Congregation, since we're back on the topic of Doom Metal. My original mentioning of them didn't seem to stick, but they really are worth checking out.
    English is not my first language, but feel free to correct me.

Character sheets:
    Telim, Wilton, Aron and Eric

30. - Top - End - #390
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Re: Doom
    Show

Okay, yeah, SubRosa is interesting. Nicely slow-paced, and the vocals are pretty novel. I'm checking this out some more later.

Well, we can agree on Augurs, at the very least :v

Vhöl's got its moments, though I can't say it's the sort of thing I would listen to very often. The crustier, d-beat moments were particularly fun, and the vocals, as expected, were great, though not as diverse as with Yob.

Anyway, on another note, anybody and everybody who's into black metal (which seems to be... most everybody who regularly posts in this thread) and neoclassical absolutely must check out Aquilus' Griseus. It's hands down one of the most amazing albums I've heard all year.
    Word. With these sort of crossover genres, I always just tend to skip to the parts I like, and leave the rest. Probably be the same with Vhöl.

Dude. Aquilus just blew my mind. Neoclassical black metal? I was intrigued.

And then I listened to it. Holy ****. It makes no sense that it should work so well! It's like if Summoning went over to the dark side. Or if Lustre stepped up his black metal. Or if Haggard was black metal. Or... I don't even know, man. It's just amazing stuff. I'm getting it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dada View Post
    I'll just throw in another word for Dark Buddha Rising, Drug Honkey and Mournful Congregation, since we're back on the topic of Doom Metal. My original mentioning of them didn't seem to stick, but they really are worth checking out.
    Mournful Congregation I know. Not really my thing; I'm not much for funeral doom. Way too slow. I quickly checked out the other two; Dark Buddah Rising seems more of the same, and Drug Honkey is just... odd. I can't really wrap my head around it. Might check back on it later in a different headspace.

And since we're speaking of doom, I can throw my latest discovery out there again. Avatarium is Leif Edling's new project: traditional doom with a heavy blues influence, lots of pretty standard Candlemassy riffs, fronted by a chick with one of the best voices I've heard in years. A bit wonkey on the balance between the two, but still impressive nonetheless.

Also Bast, whose first album Spectres I already mentioned will probably be my album of the year. Psychedelic stoner doom, surprisingly heavy and then just as surprisingly groovy, out of nowhere.