• No, just similar

51 27.13%
  • Not sure

15 7.98%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Is Erfworld Parson's game?

I would call comic #26 partial support for the "not parson's game" argument.

Although it doesn't go against the "it is his world, he just didn't provide names for things" argument.... but even if that one was true, why the baby talk? There must be a plot involving reason, other than "just because"

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aliquid View Post
    Although it doesn't go against the "it is his world, he just didn't provide names for things" argument.... but even if that one was true, why the baby talk? There must be a plot involving reason, other than "just because"
    That's now my going theory -- previously I was of the opinion, "he gave them silly names because that's his twisted kind of humour" (sort of the same humour the esteemed writer had to have to write those names into the comic ). Now I'm guessing that he used silly things to represent game pieces, and those silly things translated into silly names in the 'reality' of the game.

Actually, I'm not sure I really believe that myself. I mean I wouldn't claim to 'believe' it in the sense I'm at all sure I'm right, but until a few seconds ago it was what I was most willing to consider as likely to be right and interesting to ponder in the meantime. But as I consider other possibilities, I like them more.

Such as: It's a parallel-universe different-but-similar sort of deal. So close to Parson's game and with so many other parallels to his reality that he can never be certain it's not his own mind making it up (think Wizard of Oz or countless other instances of 'alternate world where things from the "real" world keep making appearances').

The profanity filter is, as far as I can tell, the biggest kink in this theory. Though it may just be a one-level joke about profanity filters in strategy games (war being one of those situations prone to much swearing)... but is anything ever one level in this comic?
    I support paladins and the alignment system.

My Homebrew Gaming Stuff (not updated lately) - My Campaign (ended)
    Homebrew licence:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All my homebrew stuff is released under the Open Game License, except where based on non-OGC work or otherwise stated. For Section 15:

<name of homebrew here> Copyright <year first posted>, T. Pederick

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

I would say it's not his game just a similar world.
    This is due to the inherent dificulties of being PLOT'ed into ones own head (im thinking that it could be a little cramped)
    I'm sure that someone could use some quantum theory to justify it but quantum also has boxes of cats which are there/not there and dead/alive all at the same time so I just dont trust it.
    Exploding nuns, just what everyone needs...
    Never were truer words spoken ThorFluff

4. - Top - End - #64

It is interesting how the results of the poll change after every comic. The "Yes totally" used to have a way higher percentage.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

It cant be. Parson would have known Dwagons and Spidews if it was.

It's just very similar.
    Int me; Int You;
    If (You>Me) {Me chop You head off} else {Me laugh at You};

6. - Top - End - #66
    Pixie in the Playground

Far fetched scenario:
    Say, what if Parson has been babysitting a relative's kid (much younger sibling, a niece, w/e). The kid might have been around while Parson was holding one or several gaming sessions, hearing curious words such as "wandafirebaugh!" repetitively used (if everyone was telling Ashna to use her wand, she might even have believed it was actually her name - hence the resemblance).

If said kid was left to play with the game board, perhaps Erfworld is her perception: Dwagons, Spidews, plush toys and glass animals, often playing with food (Gwiffon/Marbits). A squeaky hammer, her dad's pliers laying on the floor.

She might even see Lord Hamster as a hero (kids tend to admire big people for no apparent reason), hence him being the protagonist.

So there's my wacky theory!!! It's not Lord Hamster's world, it's his much younger sister's world!

Food for thought :)

7. - Top - End - #67
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aliquid View Post
    IIf he made a game it wouldn't have cute monsters
    Explain the hamster on his shirt?
    Although the censoring of swearwords is odd...
    All hail Door, king of Doorland! Go Elan! Go Elan! I'm useful!

Hairball in the Mr. Scruffy fan club!

8. - Top - End - #68
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Not Parson's world.

I could go with the argument that he doesn't recognize names because he never bothered to name NPC's and places. After all, those things are changeable in most turn-based games.

But the names of unit types are not changeable in any game. The word "gwiffon" resembles the word "griffon", but a griffon does not resemble a peep. Proxying a stuffed teddy bear on the same map as a peep is ridiculous because of scale differences, which are now apparent, because we know the size difference between gwiffons and people (7:1-3), and the size difference between cloth golems and people (10:13), therefore we know that cloth golems are slightly larger than gwiffons. The smallest plush teddy bear would occupy a portion of Parson's game map comparable to the entire mountain, and could not possibly represent the same size object as a Peep, which would nearly fit on a single hex. That's just not a reasonable proxy.

So far, everything has seemed strange but familiar to Parson, which is exactly what the spell required. It has NOT been familiar enough to justify a belief that Parson created this world.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Perhaps Erfworld is a world contained within a wrinkle in space-time within Parson's home. Many of the things seen in his house, such as the marshmallow peeps, are present in Erfworld.

Although that probably wouldn't explain the stuffed animals, unless he still lives with his parents, along with, say, a younger sister.

Koboldsarbeiter avatar by Mindfreak

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm guessing it's essentially the same, but Parson designed it with dragons and griffons instead of dwagons and gwiffons, and so on. Different mainly in the details, because a lot of humor can and will derive from Parson (and us) being confused.

11. - Top - End - #71

I don't buy it. Gobwin Knob is a CAPITAL city of its nation, folks. You don't make a world, give it nations, then simply neglect to give it a capital, especially if you're far enough along in the project to think you're ready to beta test it. And by the way Parson was describing his project, I imagine it was the kind of beta test that you use to make sure there are no wonky rules in place that need to be changed, rather than one to test if his theory is solid. And to put to rest the silly thought of 'well, he recognized where it was located and the maze underneath, so it must be his', I'd like to go into exposition as to why you're wrong. I believe Parson is a pretty smart guy, as seen by his creating an entire tabletop TBS(Turn-Based Strategy) game. So here is a way he would've figured things out: He walks out onto the balcony, sees that the entire city is built on top of a mountain, or possibly a plateau. He can rule out plateau immediately, because a volcano has sloping sides a plateau wouldn't. He can rule out mountain because it would take entirely too much work and money to level off a mountain to the degree that is needed for a city like Gobwin Knob. So he goes with an extinct volcano, which has the leveled off top already, and the sloping sides. He asks this question - For comparison, it'd be like you hearing your friend has a car of the same make as yours, then you ask if it's the same model - and is affirmed yes - just as you are. To continue the analogy, he then asks if it has twisty passages underneath - just like you asking if it has a certain optional feature, say a sunroof - and being told yes. He was simply following a line of reasoning, nothing more. Perhaps there was a familiar feeling to it, as there was supposed to be given the nature of the warlord spell, but that's where it ends. Erfworld is not Parson's world, folks, sorry.
    -Vonriel

"DEMONS RUN WHEN A GOOD MAN GOES TO WAR."

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

The only reason I no longer believe this is Parson's world is comic 26.

Until then, things seemed to be pretty clearly set to "his world."

However, I am not believing (yet) that this is some sort of "alternate universe" that happens to be like his game but not, and that the only reason Parson came to this world was because of all the "alternate worlds" his was somehow the closest or most appropriate.

I'm pretty sure Erfworld is directly caused, somehow, by Parson, and am not willing to buy the "infinite worlds!" stuff that seems to always be used as an excuse in scifi stories.
    Random associate of the Belkar fan club.
    zachol, not Zachol. The handle is meaningless, but Zachol still looks dumb. Thank you!

13. - Top - End - #73

It's not an excuse. The spell specifically stated that it would summon from, and I quote, "Anywhere in all existence." Meaning anyone from any world from any number of solar systems from any number of galaxies from any number of universes that are in existence. The world is completely uninfluenced by Parson before his arrival, or there would've been at least something mentioned before his arrival. The only reason Parson was summoned was because Stanley also specified that, "Everything should seem familiar and safe to him. No crazy surprises." In a multiverse where any number of realities can exist, it's well within the box to think that Parson may have been making a game that is similar to the world of Erfworld, which existed in another universe. I'd even go as far as to say that they could both be in the same universe, but I've never put much stock in physics either.
    -Vonriel

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

In a multiverse where any number of realities can exist, it's well within the box to think that Parson may have been making a game that is similar to the world of Erfworld, which existed in another universe.
    I feel that this sort of storyline is far too overused.
    "Infinite Worlds!" seems like an excuse, and I think that there should be some connection between Parson's world and Erfworld beforehand.
    zachol, not Zachol. The handle is meaningless, but Zachol still looks dumb. Thank you!

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I personally think they damaged the space time continuum of the setting, such that stuff got rewritten to fit in with certain aspects of Parson's reality.

So, when Tool Stanley wanted someone who ate him enemies for breakfast, the reality became that they were snack foods for Parson.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zachol View Post
    I feel that this sort of storyline is far too overused.
    "Infinite Worlds!" seems like an excuse, and I think that there should be some connection between Parson's world and Erfworld beforehand.
    This story takes place in a parallel universe where parallel universe stories are not overused.
    Rob Balder, Erfworld author/co-creator, and creator of PartiallyClips

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pclips View Post
    This story takes place in a parallel universe where parallel universe stories are not overused.
    Does that mean it's a parallel universe that actually DOES have multiple universe, which would actually make it a parallel MULTIVERSE and TOTALLY BLOW MY MIND?
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mikeejimbo View Post
    Does that mean it's a parallel universe that actually DOES have multiple universe, which would actually make it a parallel MULTIVERSE and TOTALLY BLOW MY MIND?
    Do you have a headache spell?
    Rob Balder, Erfworld author/co-creator, and creator of PartiallyClips

19. - Top - End - #79

Yes!

Wait, to cure them? I'd never stop casting it.
    -Vonriel

20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Didn't the spell mention it had to feel familiar? It isn't his game, but it's similiar enough so that Parson can get his footing quickly.
    Creator of the "It's Xykon, not Xylon, Zykon, Zylon..." Association. To join, copy-paste this into your sig and give urself a title.

Legendary Hero of the Church of Link's Hat

Bard of the Azure City Resistance!

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ok, other thing.

People keep mentioning turns, and the world apparently runs on a turn-based system.
    There are points.

When things are attacked or hit, they are damaged in terms of concrete hit points.

I really, really don't see how that could be a "naturally occuring" alternate universe.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hey, I often hear people mentioning "color" and "gravity" and "mass". In fact, when things are pushed or pulled the amount of "energy" required is dependent on that "mass" thingy.

I really, really don't see how that could be a "naturally occuring" universe.

23. - Top - End - #83

If you were in a turn-based strategy game, don't you think you'd have some concept of how much hitpoints and movement you had, as well as what a turn was? As this world is a turn-based strategy come to life (sorta...) it follows that everyone would know the mechanics behind it.
    -Vonriel

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

That still makes no sense.

I still feel that the excuse "There are an infinite number of parallel universes" is overused.
    Whatever. Probably a later comic will help make things make more sense.
    Until then there's not much point in arguing.

25. - Top - End - #85

Hmm, convenient. Ok, if you say so, just remember I'll be happy to argue whenever
    -Vonriel

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

I mean, yeah, it does make sense, and I get what you're saying.

In fact, it actually seems to be the best explanation so far.

I just don't like it (personally).

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

I don't think so, mainly because he would have seen the similarities much earlier, such as when the Arkentools are mentioned

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

Map only. I am 100% sure that at least Gobwin Knob was designed by him because in panel 6 of comic 16 the model on the table is an exact replica of the city. Volcano, single path and that giant spire in the middle.
    Save vs GM powered thunderbolt!

Kattira, Anja Khemari and Elderguard Tyrius. Thanks to The Stoney One for Avvies!

29. - Top - End - #89

Quote Originally Posted by Soniku View Post
    Map only. I am 100% sure that at least Gobwin Knob was designed by him because in panel 6 of comic 16 the model on the table is an exact replica of the city. Volcano, single path and that giant spire in the middle.
    Now don't go being 100% sure, that can lead to dissapointment when you still don't have all the data.

If you look carefully they are not exactly the same. The single path doesn't have the same number of switchbacks

30. - Top - End - #90

Looking at comic #31 it looks less and less likely that it is his game.

"it's a little like the game I was developing". Not "exactly" like the game he was developing.

I think that if it was "his game", he would know it by now.
    Last edited by Aliquid; 2007-03-07 at 06:23 PM.