New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Pact: A complete breakfast cereal brought to you by Wildbow [spoilers]

Spoiler
    Show
    “We have little spats all the time,” Isadora said. “But most of us on this hilltop predate the invention of paper. We’re not about to jeopardize that, much less over you, no offense.”

2. - Top - End - #212
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Pact: A complete breakfast cereal brought to you by Wildbow [spoilers]

Quote Originally Posted by pita View Post
    While Terry Pratchett is the writing equivalent of Chuck Norris. Terry Pratchett writes two books a year while being unable to type.
    EDIT-

I just realized there's room here for a "I've always suspected you're a pack of gerbils and a chimp" joke here but alas, I was too late, and I can't figure out the perfect funny configuration.
    he doesn't need to, when he speaks recording devices, computers and such things just make sure it's recorded and edited for printing.
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

@Socratov: Funnily enough, assuming that Isadora was talking about the major players in the room, that means that one of Meath or Diana predates the invention of paper. Because Blake definitely doesn't, and Conquest definitely does. I'm very interested in Diana by this point.

And speaking of Conquest...

Spoiler: new update:
    Show
    "I am Conquest, the Great and Powerful!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh Conquest. Also I wonder if subversion falls under Conquest or not. I.E. if a friend convinces you to play RPGs does that count as a Conquest? Or more notably a demon convincing you to join team demon?
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    @Socratov: Funnily enough, assuming that Isadora was talking about the major players in the room, that means that one of Meath or Diana predates the invention of paper. Because Blake definitely doesn't, and Conquest definitely does. I'm very interested in Diana by this point.
    Diana being older than paper would put an interesting spin on this exchange:

Quote Originally Posted by Collateral 4.2
    “I think our boy here has a story, and I think madam professor isn’t paying it any mind because she likes his mind. And you, astrologer, are into him because you’re a cougar and you like his body.”

“Cougars are generally older women,” Diana said.

“Your point being?” Jeremy asked. Two of his attendants giggled at the jab.
    Truth resists simplicity.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    It depends on who it got limited too. Jeremy's Posse, Conquest, and the Sphinx all probably predate paper. The Jeremy and Blake do not. Astrologer, and Conquests practitioner may or may not. If they were talking about everyone, there is no mystery. If they excluded the servants, Jeremy's Posse and the Practitioner, then Conquest, Sphinx and Astrologer must predate paper.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

A new New York IC OOC

7. - Top - End - #217
    Bugbear in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Blake is having a very bad day today.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

I think it's interesting that Blake has some of the same issues Taylor did, namely associates who were too quick to make bad deals when an out is at the edge of their grasp...
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fjolnir View Post
    I think it's interesting that Blake has some of the same issues Taylor did, namely associates who were too quick to make bad deals when an out is at the edge of their grasp...
    I don't recall that happening. What exactly are you thinking of?
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

So let's review Laird's effectiveness:
    Stated Goals:
    1) Keep the outside fish from noticing Jacob's Bell. Current Situation: The Lord of Toronto is coming to Jacob's Bell. Utter Failure.
    2) Suppress Diabolism. Current Situation: Blake is going to bind three demons. His house will soon be unsealed. Blake has acquired a book on demonology. Utter Failure.
    3) Unite the Families: The marriage is still on track. Pending
    4) Keep Family protected: Bloody Conquest is coming to Toronto, his rep has taken two (2) hits, and a large number of treasures have been lost. Also one of the allied faeries lost some hair. However the continued existence of his family depends on the person who wants his entire family dead, not siccing a demon on them. Failure, but not a big one. Unless Blake snaps.

Lets see what would have happened if Laird just sort of did nothing.
    1) Keep the outside fish from noticing Jacob's Bell. Alternative Outcome: Jacob's Bell continues to go unnoticed. Success!
    2) Suppress Diabolism. Alternative Outcome: Blake would be puttering along building up ghosts and other minor bits until he uses one of the big rituals. But no demons. Success!
    3) Unite the families. Alternative outcome. It would still be on track. Pending.
    4) Keep Family protected: Alternative Outcome: It would have suffered no damage. Success!

Laird has successfully managed to snap defeat from the jaws of victory!

Also I really, really hope we get to see Laird and co.'s reaction to Conquest breaking their barrier and picking up some books for Blake. Of things that could go wrong, the Incarnation of Conquest and Lord of Toronto showing up and running errands for Blake has got to be pretty high on the list.

Also who else thinks Conquest is going to go mess with the Barber? I wonder how he will fare?
    Spoiler
    Show

A new New York IC OOC

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    Laird has successfully managed to snap defeat from the jaws of victory!
    You're forgetting the big goal, push the Thorburns out so the city can expand and he can become Lord, which doesn't work so well if he did nothing.

Also, Conquest coming to Jacob's Bell to break the time lock is only an indirect danger to Laird, by letting Blake move back. He's also sworn to not make moves against those that live there. So your first point really isn't a failure.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    You're forgetting the big goal, push the Thorburns out so the city can expand and he can become Lord, which doesn't work so well if he did nothing.

Also, Conquest coming to Jacob's Bell to break the time lock is only an indirect danger to Laird, by letting Blake move back. He's also sworn to not make moves against those that live there. So your first point really isn't a failure.
    Its not like Blake was going to do anything that might stop him from becoming Lord. Other than continue owning the land, which he's still doing. Plus the land probably defaults to the lawyers. He's done nothing except alienate the person who could give him the land in a few years.

First, Conquest did no such thing. Conquest implied he wouldn't make moves against the Dumpchamps. Laird... not so much. Conquest can still murder all of them. Plus, I would be astounded if the that applied beyond the realm of demons. Conquest obviously can touch his own city.
    Spoiler
    Show

A new New York IC OOC

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

Its not like Blake was going to do anything that might stop him from becoming Lord. Other than continue owning the land, which he's still doing. Plus the land probably defaults to the lawyers. He's done nothing except alienate the person who could wasn't going to give himthe land in a few years.
    Fixed that for you.

The house is too important to the family for it to be simply given away. If it wasn't, a deal with Molly would have been easy to work out (it's not like they want it gone immediately anyway, there's the matter of Johannes to deal with first).

First, Conquest did no such thing. Conquest implied he wouldn't make moves against the Dumpchamps. Laird... not so much. Conquest can still murder all of them. Plus, I would be astounded if the that applied beyond the realm of demons. Conquest obviously can touch his own city.
    Sorry, I got some wording from the last update mixed around, though Laird may have some protection from the impending marriage. Still, these events haven't exactly put a target on Jacob's Bell either, the name brings no surprise once they put two and two together about where Blake came from in last thursday's chapter, and they even knew about the movers and shakers, so it's not like they didn't know about it.
    Last edited by Reverent-One; 2014-03-10 at 01:19 PM.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Except that Blake doesn't want the house to begin with. He's only there because the will states he needs to be there and the horde of slavering Others outside his front door.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm wondering how soon blake breaks the masquerade with his Toronto friends in order to create a coven to fight Jacob's Bell with...
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm wondering how soon blake breaks the masquerade with his Toronto friends in order to create a coven to fight Jacob's Bell with...
    It's one Rose-sighting away from being shattered into a million tiny pieces, and may be even more fragile if Blake forces them to remember Fell (who I'm certain specializes in blind spots).

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait, was it supposed to be implied somewhere that Rose couldn't be seen by mortals? 'Cause Blake has zero problems without the Sight. And neither did witch hunter kid. I thought he was just sort of running on the assumption: meh it probably won't be noticed and if it does they won't say anything because that would be craaazy talk. And get you sent to a place where they make you eat coloured candies in a small cup! And that would rot your teeth, and no one wants rotted teeth.

Anyway, this just has all the markings of a "Twist" except for the lack of twist.

Anyway time for more hilarious ways to abuse Rose's mirror powers! Do you wear glasses? She can project in the mirror realm on your glasses. Have fun seeing stuff when that happens! Do you know what a industrial strength cutting laser is? Have you ever experienced one slicing through your flesh? Well now you can! Just stand close to any reflective surface and get classified as a threat to Blake! And like magic, you will be sliced apart by the latest in cutting technology! Do you like having to comply with all those silly housing regulations to keep your house from being condemned? Well now you won't have to! Rose can shatter all your precious pipes, wires, and everything else that's shiny and essential to the house! No more worries about the regulations because your House is gonna be condemned! Nothing you can do!

Also this whole not going down the demonologist path isn't going well for Blake. On the plus side he's gonna get a pet imp! Oh and the Gobwin is totally Maggie's goblin. Blake definitely needs to have Maggie help kill it with fire (and blood!)

Final note: Can coven's set up demesnes that are shared? It was certainly implied here. I suppose you could also do a chain of demesnes in close proximity and back each other up. One that note predicted endgame: Blake and his artist friends claim the World. And win.
    Spoiler
    Show

A new New York IC OOC

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Wait, was it supposed to be implied somewhere that Rose couldn't be seen by mortals?
    Just the opposite, I'd say. If only the awakened could see her, Rose wouldn't have been able to warn Blake at the start of the story.

'Cause Blake has zero problems without the Sight. And neither did witch hunter kid. I thought he was just sort of running on the assumption: meh it probably won't be noticed and if it does they won't say anything because that would be craaazy talk. And get you sent to a place where they make you eat coloured candies in a small cup! And that would rot your teeth, and no one wants rotted teeth.

Anyway, this just has all the markings of a "Twist" except for the lack of twist.
    Yeah, it's just a matter of time really.

Anyway time for more hilarious ways to abuse Rose's mirror powers! Do you wear glasses? She can project in the mirror realm on your glasses. Have fun seeing stuff when that happens! Do you know what a industrial strength cutting laser is? Have you ever experienced one slicing through your flesh? Well now you can! Just stand close to any reflective surface and get classified as a threat to Blake! And like magic, you will be sliced apart by the latest in cutting technology! Do you like having to comply with all those silly housing regulations to keep your house from being condemned? Well now you won't have to! Rose can shatter all your precious pipes, wires, and everything else that's shiny and essential to the house! No more worries about the regulations because your House is gonna be condemned! Nothing you can do!
    All hilarious ideas, but the general rule of thumb is that she inhabits all the mirrors in Hillsglade and around Blake. Blake would need to get inside before she could wreak havoc like that (Do I hear the word "glamour"?). Also, breaking things like you describe takes energy that neither of them are particularly willing to spend.

Also this whole not going down the demonologist path isn't going well for Blake. On the plus side he's gonna get a pet imp! Oh and the Gobwin is totally Maggie's goblin. Blake definitely needs to have Maggie help kill it with fire (and blood!)
    Assuming, of course, that he actually binds it with a ritual like some sort of grisly (it would definitely be grisly) Pokeball. I think there's a large loophole here with Blake "striving" to bind it. Also, "binding someone to your will" could possibly be as simple as "getting them to agree with you," depending on how badly you want to Jedi-fy your debriefing.

Final note: Can coven's set up demesnes that are shared? It was certainly implied here. I suppose you could also do a chain of demesnes in close proximity and back each other up. On that note predicted endgame: Blake and his artist friends claim the World. And win.
    "A chain of demesnes in close proximity" is exactly what the Duchamps and Behaims did and do for their newly awakened. And as for the predicted endgame: did Taylor claim the world and win? Did she claim the world or win?
    Last edited by Landis963; 2014-03-11 at 12:52 AM.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, was it supposed to be implied somewhere that Rose couldn't be seen by mortals? 'Cause Blake has zero problems without the Sight. And neither did witch hunter kid. I thought he was just sort of running on the assumption: meh it probably won't be noticed and if it does they won't say anything because that would be craaazy talk. And get you sent to a place where they make you eat coloured candies in a small cup! And that would rot your teeth, and no one wants rotted teeth.

Final note: Can coven's set up demesnes that are shared? It was certainly implied here. I suppose you could also do a chain of demesnes in close proximity and back each other up. One that note predicted endgame: Blake and his artist friends claim the World. And win.

She can be seen by normals no problem. I think what this was that the person was staring at Blake, and saw Rose instead of him.

Wouldn't your glasses need to be reflective?

Also I simply do not understand what you mean with the cutting laser. Rose generally can't effect the world outside the mirror at all right?

I'm guessing that the deal being offered to the imp is to capture it for Conquest, and in doing so upset Conquest's allies while giving him an imp that intends to betray him.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Colossus in the Playground

Actually, if you read conquest's demands carefully, he says three things:

1. Capture the creatures
    2. Bind the creatures
    3. Bring them to me

Now, Blake can fulfill that and still easily eff up Conquest. Capture them, bind them to himself, use them to attack Conquest. Done.

The last line today seems to support the theory.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    She can be seen by normals no problem. I think what this was that the person was staring at Blake, and saw Rose instead of him.
    Ah, that would explain it. WE HAVE A TWIST!
    Also I simply do not understand what you mean with the cutting laser. Rose generally can't effect the world outside the mirror at all right?
    People can see her. Which means photons from her world can cross over into the real. Lasers are just photons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post

The last line today seems to support the theory.
    So is everyone going to end up wondering who the Lord of Toronto was? Also unholy hell demons continue to be scary bastards.
    Last edited by Lamech; 2014-03-11 at 10:54 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

A new New York IC OOC

22. - Top - End - #232
    Colossus in the Playground

Actually, my thoughts ran into a different direction with that person.

They didn't see Rose. They saw Blake. But that person was an Other of some kind. What they saw was a Thorburn, and Others know all Thorburns are female. It had to double-check and was confused when Blake was a man.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

23. - Top - End - #233
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Actually, my thoughts ran into a different direction with that person.

They didn't see Rose. They saw Blake. But that person was an Other of some kind. What they saw was a Thorburn, and Others know all Thorburns are female. It had to double-check and was confused when Blake was a man.
    Blake checked the connections. Ordinary, non-cognoscenti human. Who saw Rose in the reflection and turned around and saw Blake.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, that would explain it. WE HAVE A TWIST!
    People can see her. Which means photons from her world can cross over into the real. Lasers are just photons.
    Or it means that our photons can travel into her world with no problem and reflect back out. Which considering that other things (lpun very much intended) have been able to reach into her world makes sense.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

So you know what would be a supremely funny weapon/familiar for Blake? The existence eater demon. Kill Conquest and bluff his way into the Lord of Toronto. Defend himself against the Witch Hunter. Ect.
    Laird: "Didn't we sanction execution by the Witch Hunters"
    Sandra: "We have Witch Hunters?"
    Laird: "Huh, maybe Blake made us THINK we had them."
    Sandra: "Must be. Alright no choice then, we attack next time he leaves the house. We'll take a full team of 13 people."
    *All 9 of them try to ambush Blake*
    Rose: "BASEMENT DWELLER I CHOSE YOU!"
    Blake: "Why did you call our familiar?"
    Rose: "I have no idea..."
    Scene Change:
    *Laird and Co. standing in a hotel looking confused*
    Basement Dweller: "Hello everyone. Welcome to the most epic con ever. We have free Doritos AND Mountain Dew."
    Spoiler
    Show

A new New York IC OOC

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

The other thing I was wondering is how long do you think that Laird will allow Blake to build a power base within Toronto before either he uses either the Duchamps or cop buddies to try to make life miserable for Blake and his little crew of friends?
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm... would siccing cops on a diabolist cause the bad Karma to fall on Blake or Laird? Also, that would be really bad for the legal system when there are all these holes in the chain of evidence.
    Spoiler
    Show

A new New York IC OOC

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

Tow a few cars, get a surprise building inspection on one of the landlord's buildings (if there are more than one) and possibly use bad juju to get it condemned, a couple of bogus arrests, basically try to apply as much mundane pressure that he can to get him to head back to dear old Jacob's Bell...
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

Tow a few cars, get a surprise building inspection on one of the landlord's buildings (if there are more than one) and possibly use bad juju to get it condemned, a couple of bogus arrests, basically try to apply as much mundane pressure that he can to get him to head back to dear old Jacob's Bell...
    God, that would be a funny goal.
    Laird: "BWHAHAHAHAHAHA! I HAVE BANISHED YOU FROM JACOB'S BELL! BEGONE! YOUR HOUSE IS SEALED! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!"
    *a few days pass*
    Laird: "Some, umm... guys I need your help with another ritual. So that first ritual? Well, he sort of went to Toronto. And now he's catching pokemon in the tall grass there. We need to force him back here... Oh and Conquest sort of dispelled the barrier around his house too. "

I have a question: On the rule of three fights, we have that huge time ritual. I wonder how these have been divided up as battles? Could it be
    One: First Ritual is interrupted. Point Blake.
    Two: Second Ritual is fired. Point Laird.
    Three: Conquest destroys the barrier. Point Blake. Game point Blake!
    Last edited by Lamech; 2014-03-11 at 10:57 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

A new New York IC OOC

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

You're looking at it wrong, once the barrier comes down, there's a choice to be made: would you rather have him out there somewhere with access to his books and gathering strength for the return trip where he will likely enact great furious vengeance or would you prefer to get him back in the house on your own terms?
    Spoiler
    Show