New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Random Banter D&D 3.5e Campaign IC

Enigma's grin widens, and his eyes gleam. "Oh, no, I intend to sell them for some very damaging secrets. Only the greediest nobles will move for something so insignificant as gold - and I have enough money to buy them, if I like." He brushes the papers and books aside. "But the stubborn ones, though, they need a bit more encouragement - and it's a whole lot easier to say, get my hands on a tome of calling rituals if the the noble in ownership of the book is coerced with evidence of say, smuggling. And a sword like this..." He pulls out a rapier with an odd sheen to it. "...is far easier to take from someone afraid of losing their thirty-four farm plots that their family has owned for seven generations, all because they're bad at covering up a little murder."

Enigma puts the sword away, then stands up and begins to make a small stack of books from a nearby shelf. "Now, unless you have any more business for me - which I will gladly attend to - I'd like to have some peace while I find out who this witch is. I'm sure you four have your own things to do, anyway."
    A few odds and ends.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Colossus in the Playground

"I do, in fact, have a question for you, Sir Enigma" Alphonse then reaches into his cloak and takes out a brooch with the imagery of a spear on it, two jade dragons entwining it. "Do you recognize this emblem, by chance?"

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ettin in the Playground

Enigma holds the scissors out to you. "Yes. That information's price is a lock of your hair - that is, unless you have something better to offer." He grins.

OOC: You all may make spot checks, if you like.

Spoiler: Spot Check DC 23
    Show

You notice Enigma deftly remove the scissors from underneath Tass' hands with a few quick movements.

Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2014-05-01 at 01:38 PM.
    A few odds and ends.

4. - Top - End - #334

"You're quite fast, I see. Hmm..." Alphonse poses, leaning back a bit and pointing at the scissors "Would bringing you those ancient coins be payment enough? After all, if we wished we could sell them to someone else if we found them. You'd get them eventually, but the hassle would be far more bothersome."

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ettin in the Playground

Enigma laughs. "If the four of you wish to spend a favor for that little tidbit of information, then that is fine with me. How you spend your favors is not really my business." He sets the scissors back down, and pulls out a few pieces of parchment. "But I can assure you that I have far more power, both physically and politically, than any person in this city whose name is not Janick Holtti. A little gold from some noble is worth much less than what I can offer... Regardless, that can be addressed if and when you return here with those coins."

Enigma grins. "In the meantime, I'll try keep from boasting and save you the trouble of listening."
    A few odds and ends.

6. - Top - End - #336

"Noted, and apologies. I shan't let my personal desires get in the way of our mission proper."

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Alphonse
    Show

What you know of Fryngaer's mines largely matches what Enigma has told you: Fryngaer was an iron mine owned by the Kerrenland Mining Company, and was shut down about 60 or 70 years ago during the feud with the Central Navarre Mining Co. There are no recent records of the encampment nor the mines to your knowledge, but it's possible that the Fylke Merchant's Guild still has older records of Fryngaer in storage - these records would be in the city of Fylke. Depending on the condition of the mines, you may be able to find a map in a records room, or something similar on-site.

It's also possible that Enigma has records of it somewhere. (although somehow I doubt you're going to go that route. )

Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2014-05-03 at 03:14 PM.
    A few odds and ends.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ettin in the Playground

Enigma bids you goodbye as you leave his shop, and soon you reach the eastern gates. The massive crowd at the east gates is hard to move through, but eventually you make your way to the road outside. You walk alongside commoners and merchants past miles upon miles of empty fields, until you finally reach the Cymran forests, where the road stops closely following the river. By this point, all of the other travelers have turned aside on other roads, back to their farms, or on to other towns.

You walk for four days without event when you come across what is best described as the remains of a small town. All but a few buildings have been destroyed and burnt to ashes, and stray corpses (both human and livestock) litter the sides of the road. The small fields have also been burnt, and what livestock you can see (perhaps two or three cows) are thin and malnourished. A few dirty peasants thatching a roof on a house nearby look at you for a few seconds, then get back to work.

A dark-haired woman wearing chain mail over green robes approaches you. "Welcome, travelers, to Birchwood. I know times are hard, but could you spare a few coin for the people of this town? The army came through here a few weeks before harvest and..." She points to the ruined buildings. "...this is what they left. Bandits took nearly everything that was still usable." She shakes her head. "The church of Ir Oni has been doing what it can to help these people, but we're spread thin; there are just too many towns in a sad state like this. If you have anything you can give, we would be in your debt."

The woman looks down and sighs, and her shoulders slump. "I just wish I could do more..."
    A few odds and ends.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Titan in the Playground

At the first night the party spend in solitude, Tass remembers the circlet Daedrim gave her when they left the party, and she takes it out to examine it closely.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Spot check: (1d20+15)[26] (to notice any hidden details to it)
    Knowledge (nature) check: (1d20+15)[17] (to tell if it relates to any druidic traditions, and what it's made of)
    She'll also cast Detect Magic, studying it for any magical properties
    Spellcraft check: (1d20+11)[25]

When they reach the Cymran forests, Tass will suddenly transform herself into wolf shape and stop to make a long howl, whereafter she'll continue the journey in wolf form. About an hour later, Tass stops again to listen at something, and soon the rest can hear a rising rustle in the forest. Suddenly, another wolf comes charging out from the trees. Its fur is the same grey as Tass', and they've got similar eyes as well, but the tips of its ears are bright red. The wolf goes straight for Tass and manages to knock her over with its pounce. They then roll around the grass with the new wolf licking Tass around the snout, until Tass gets the upper hand and manages to get back on her paws. They then proceed to walk by eachothers side, exchanging yips and barks until Tass a few hours later is turned back to human shape and can introduce her animal companion to the rest, all while the wolf curiously runs around to greet them and check out their scent.

This is Lingon, of my tribe and pack.

When they reach the village, Tass observes the devastation with great concern, and she properly appreciates the weight put behind the presumed priest's words.

What are you in need of?
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

10. - Top - End - #340

Alphonse immediately takes out ten gold and gives it to her "I hope this will help, Ma'am. If there is anything else we can do, please say the word."

While Alphonse does this, he'll look at the town. He's not sure if the army could actually do this, and will do a history check to see if this is something they'd do:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+4)[14]

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    When they reach the village, Tass observes the devastation with great concern, and she properly appreciates the weight put behind the presumed priest's words.

What are you in need of?
    The woman shuffles her feet uncomfortably. "Honestly? Food. These people are going to starve this winter. I've taught a few how to handle a bow and a knife, but they're in no condition to feed themselves for a full season. I'm trying to get enough coin to buy them a few good dairy cows, so they won't need to track down and kill all of their food, but it's slow work." She sighs. "Shelter, I think we can manage. I've got a few people putting houses back together, and that ought to be done in the next week or two, at least for everyone that's left... Hopefully we'll be done before it starts to snow."

Spoiler: Tass
    Show

The circlet is made of finely woven vines, which have been dried and worked to preserve the shape. It is a simple piece, but it's clear that a lot of work went into it.

Circlets of this nature are fairly common gifts among the Southern Council - a sign of good will and possible alliance.

You detect a faint aura of divination on the circlet, but there is nothing to indicate its function.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Alphonse immediately takes out ten gold and gives it to her "I hope this will help, Ma'am. If there is anything else we can do, please say the word."
    The woman clasps your hand and smiles. "Thank you, sir. You're a saint." She turns and starts to walk toward a small campfire. She takes out a piece of parchment and a quill, and begins to write. "If you want to help, can you carry a letter to the next temple of Ir Oni or... She cringes. "...Mairah that you pass by? Unless you know how to build houses or can corral a bunch of game onto their knives, I don't think there's a whole lot else you can do for us here."

Spoiler: Alphonse
    Show

This definitely seems like something an army could do. A few thousand trained soldiers could easily strip a town this size of their livestock and crops, and most of these building would probably go up in flames without too much trouble. The dead could be people who resisted the army's occupation, or simply killed by bandits.

Unless the commanders of the army were particularly cruel, the burnt buildings and deaths were most likely caused by bandits, though. Regardless, this town has had a run of particularly bad luck.
    A few odds and ends.

12. - Top - End - #342

"I can deliver a letter, don't worry. I hope things turn your way soon." Alphonse answers. He then turns to Tass "Lady Tass, could you help them with that? I could kill something easily enough, but finding it...that'd be more in your school of expertise."

13. - Top - End - #343
    Titan in the Playground

I know the art of hunt, yes, as does Lingon here by my side. If we can stay here for a day, we could probably help you sustain yourself for a little while, but we have errands to run as well, lest...
    Tass pauses to appreciate the importance of their mission
    ... you may face more armies like this one.

Tass stops again to think for a moment.

Say, how many of you are still living here? And do you still have any seeds in the ground?

Show

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ettin in the Playground

The woman's eyes widen. "Oh, gods, please don't tell me Brynne and Holtti are going to march through here again... We were lucky they returned to Capel Kerig by a different road, or Birchwood might look like some of the other villages further along the road..." She clenches her fists. "They only care about fighting, and they trample anyone that gets in their way."

"Seventeen, mostly farmers. They've planted what they could recover, but I couldn't say if they'll be much help. I know about as much about farming as they do about fighting, which really isn't much..." She looks up at you four. "I would be greatly in your debt if you could hunt down some game for us. I'm afraid I'm not particularly good at hunting myself; while I've got the skill to bring something down if I find it, I can't track to save my life. Mallory tells me that the forest to the south has the best game, if that's any help."

While the woman is talking, a young boy (who is perhaps three or four years old) runs up to Lingon and hugs one of his forelegs. He quietly exclaims, "Doggie!", and seems quite proud of himself for identifying Tass' animal companion.
    A few odds and ends.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Titan in the Playground

Lingon looks a bit confused about how he should react to the little child, but with a few calming pats on his back from Tass and a scratching behind his ear, he relaxes and bows down to sniff the boy's hair. Meanwhile, Tass continues to speak to the woman.

No, Brynne is dead.

Tass is about to go on, but remembers the value of discretion in civilised society, and switches topic.

So, a few plants.

Tass sinks into deep thought.

(Forgot to actually make my roll, check the dice roller thread.)
    Last edited by Teddy; 2014-05-08 at 04:51 PM.

Show

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ettin in the Playground

"Dead, huh? Well, I can't say I'm going to miss him much, although I'm sure it's hard for whoever he was close to. Not that it's going to undo what he's done here..." She gestures to the remains of the town.

The woman regains her composure, then suddenly seems to notice the young boy attached to Lingon. "Cadel, what are you doing out here? I don't want your father getting worried about you running about and bothering these nice folk."

Show

The first use of that spell isn't really going to help much - you'll either make a mess of the fields, or there won't be enough brush and trees for the spell to work at all.

The second use would certainly help them come spring, but it isn't going to do much for them right now.
    A few odds and ends.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

Tass turns to the others.

What do you say? Is anyone against staying a day to help?

Show

18. - Top - End - #348

"I think we can afford a day. I'll do what I can to teach you how to handle spears for hunting. How's that sound?"

19. - Top - End - #349
    Troll in the Playground

I would enjoy a day in this... quaint village. Béla slips out eleven gold pieces and hands them to the woman. Use them for whatever need is strongest. Alas, I cannot hunt, but I will see what I can do among the people.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ettin in the Playground

Lucas had been quiet for quite a while, but when Tass and Al turned to discuss with the rest of the group ways to help, he decided now would be a good time to break his inward thoughts on the happenings of the last few days.

"I am for it. I can prepare some spells to cast in the morn to replenish some of the food stores of the town, if we stay until tomorrow."
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

21. - Top - End - #351
    Titan in the Playground

Tass unstraps her bow from her back and turns back to the woman.

We'll get started immediately, then. Do you have anyone skilled with the bow? I could pass along a few tips to help you once we've continued on our journey.

By the way, we never introduced properly. I'm Tass.

Show

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ettin in the Playground

She enthusiastically shakes Bela and Lucas' hands with a big smile on her face. "And many thanks to you too, sirs! If only everyone who passed through this village was as kind and generous as you four..." She shrugs, then turns to Bela. "If you can help to thatch roofs or mend broken pottery, then you should go speak with Jed; otherwise, I don't think there's much else you can help with." The woman nods at Cadel, who has begun to play with Lingon's fur. "You're welcome to keep Cadel company, though."

"I think we can afford a day. I'll do what I can to teach you how to handle spears for hunting. How's that sound?"
    The woman nods. "I'd be honoured, and I'm sure they'll appreciate the experience with more weapons. I'll gather those that aren't busy working and we can set to work. We only have a few usable weapons here, though..."

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    We'll get started immediately, then. Do you have anyone skilled with the bow? I could pass along a few tips to help you once we've continued on our journey.

By the way, we never introduced properly. I'm Tass.
    "I'll send Mallory with you. She knows the most about hunting out of who's left. It's a pity her husband died; he would have been a lot of help."

She smirks. "Indeed we haven't. My name is Agatha."

--
    Agatha walks into one of the rebuilt houses, then returns after a minute or two with a handful of spears and a few other weapons - mostly bows and knives, but she also has a large two-handed sword in a scabbard on her back. An old dwarven woman follows her, carrying a worn crossbow. "Mallory, you and Tass will be hunting. See what you can learn from her." Agatha points at Alphonse. "You, come with me. We'll get the rest of the villagers and try to teach them how to use weapons." She looks at Bela and Lucas. "If you don't have anything else particularly useful you can do, it's alright to rest for a while. You've been plenty of help today already."
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2014-05-10 at 12:02 AM.
    A few odds and ends.

23. - Top - End - #353

"I'm sorry for not introducing myself. I am Alphonse. Now, lets see about training them how to use a spear!"

24. - Top - End - #354
    Troll in the Playground

Béla glances at Alphonse. May I also learn how to use a spear?
    Show
    You're my favorite.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

25. - Top - End - #355

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
    Béla glances at Alphonse. May I also learn how to use a spear?
    "Of course, I'll be teaching everyone how to handle one. Though I imagine a cross bow may do you better."

26. - Top - End - #356
    Troll in the Playground

"Of course, I'll be teaching everyone how to handle one. Though I imagine a cross bow may do you better."
    There is only one crossbow and that lady is using it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Was "cross" bow a poorly veiled insult?
    Show
    You're my favorite.

27. - Top - End - #357

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
    There is only one crossbow and that lady is using it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Was "cross" bow a poorly veiled insult?
    Spoiler
    Show
    No I was genuinely recommending buying a cross bow so you can have a ranged weapon when you're tapped for magic

"...ah, yes, good point. Well, lets go, I've got some men to teach. And you as well, Sir Bela!"
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2014-05-13 at 06:07 PM.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ettin in the Playground

Tass:

You and Mallory head to the woods to hunt. She's quiet and gruff - what few words she does say tend to be short and to the point. She's helpful, but you're clearly far better at hunting than she is.

Show
    The forest to the south does seem like a good place to hunt. You couldn't say if it's the best place to hunt around here (and honestly, none of the forests around here are as good for hunting as where you're from), but you're confident you can find more than enough game there.

--
    Alphonse:

Agatha gathers the rest of the villagers who aren't doing any important work, and you set to training them.

OOC: I'd like to have a few rolls from everybody. Tass, can I get a survival check? Alphonse and Bela, can you make a roll that's just d20+base attack? Tass and Alphonse - you both get an additional +2 on this check.
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2014-05-13 at 06:46 PM.
    A few odds and ends.

29. - Top - End - #359

While we train, Alphonse asks "Say, Lady Agatha, are you a full on Cleric, divine powers and everything? I imagine you'd have some spells that could help with things, yes?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Training Check: (1d20+11)[13]

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ettin in the Playground

Agatha grins. "I wanted to. Didn't quite have the aptitude for magic, though. The priests said I might pick some up later after I had a bit of experience, but I've still not figured it out. About all I can manage is a little bit of healing." She pats the sword on her back. "Officially, I'm what they call a 'holy knight', of some order or another. I've been trained to fight enemies of Ir Oni's temple - but most of my work is in rebuilding and protecting small towns like Birchwood."

She looks you up and down. "Say, where did you learn how to fight? That's not a soldier's stance, and I don't really recognize it from anywhere else... Are you a gladiator, perhaps?"
    A few odds and ends.