Béla follows Tass.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Random Banter D&D 3.5e Campaign IC

You walk for some time. The passageway slopes down gradually, taking you deeper and deeper underground with every step. The rut you guide your hands with is rough and uneven, and it's height on the wall varies widely as you descend. Now that your ears are clear of other distracting sounds, you can hear Holtti's thick, heavy breathing, and soon your ears can pick out everyone's individual footsteps.

Suddenly, Holtti stops moving. "The passage ends here." He knocks three times, in different places, and a stone door in front of you opens, revealing a small chamber lit by a handful of glowing orbs. It has a few chairs and a bookshelf, as well as a fountain of water in the corner. Prince Wuscfrea is sitting in one of the chairs, book in hand. He looks up in surprise. "Oh, hello, Janick! And hello to the rest of you as well! Come, sit down! And please do close the door. I take it things are attended to?"

Holtti lets you in and then shuts the door. "Both yes and no, Prince. The four we were recommended to have dealt with a gargoyle on the roof - one apparently responsible for the deaths of most of the guards - and returned almost entirely unscathed, but a second interloper capable of teleportation magic eluded their grasp. The musicians have been slaughtered, save one. Suspecting assassins, we felt it would be prudent to make sure you were in good health. I'm glad to see that you are." He stiffly sits down, and sighs, although whether in weariness or relief you cannot tell.

There is a slight pause, and Wuscfrea fidgets nervously. "...oh... I know this room is warded against teleportation magic, but the passage is not, and the door is not invulnerable... Wuscfrea looks at you. "You were there - did the second assassin use any other kinds of magic? Any... black magic?" The prince frowns and looks at his feet.
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2014-02-22 at 10:19 PM.
    A few odds and ends.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Colossus in the Playground

"I think it was green, but a bolt of magic struck me in the back. It...appears to have caused me distress, I'm loathe to admit" Alphonse answers, showing a minor misunderstanding on what the Prince meant by black magic.

"Also, Sir Prince, if I may ask, what was found where your late father was killed? I have some possible ideas of who the assassins are, and the most information I have, the sooner we'll bring them to the sword."
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2014-02-22 at 10:43 PM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

Wuscfrea chuckles, and Holtti rolls his eyes. "The term "black magic" isn't indicative of the colour of the magician's spells, Alphonse. It's a designation for magic that draws upon or calls up evil forces to effect the user's whim. Most black magic is obtained from pacts with fiends. I've not read extensively on the stuff, but that's the general gist of it. I've been fairly hazy on exactly what it is myself, although I've been reading since I've been down here. Praise to the Sage for this small library; time has kept these books well."

At your second question, Holtti speaks up. "Brynne fell on a battlefield some fifty miles northeast of here. He was surrounded by the fallen - men from both sides. We only found traces of poison and black magic on him after he was taken back off the front lines and inspected by a medic. You suppose that the same ones who killed Brynne are here tonight? I'll gladly hear any ideas, soldier."
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2014-02-22 at 11:43 PM.
    A few odds and ends.

5. - Top - End - #215

"In which case, Sir Prince, I believe it was bad magic. Though...clearly I am not the best person to be making that decision. Sir Bela, Lady Tass, would you care to confirm? Also, though I cannot understand it, I know she spoke Draconic, for what it's worth"

Alphonse will then answer Holtti's question "I narrowed it down to one or two, but I have four options that could be the case. The Order of the Black Sea, who leave a burnt rose as a calling card. Enigma, a mysterious assassin from this very city, though it can't be him since he specializes in no collateral damage. Then of course there is the Thieves guild, and finally we have Andre Petrinov. Though if it was him we'd all be on fire by now. All of them use golems, though since we're dealing with a Gargoyle...yeah. I was thinking once this blows over and we can be sure the Prince is safe for an extended period of time, we can go see this 'Enigma' and ask him what he knows about Assassin's that use gargoyles."

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ettin in the Playground

Holtti grins. "Oh, I can assure you it isn't Enigma. The bastard's been a friend of the royal family for longer than Cynegels has been emperor. And anyways, he likes running that little antiques shop in market square far too much to mess with me." He pauses. "The Order of the Black Sea, huh? Samaran mercenaries, and damn good ones. I wonder who's got the coin to pay them, though..." He turns to Wuscfrea. "If they're involved, then we've got a traitorous noble, or else someone's trying to start a war... or both..." He raises an eyebrow. "I've never heard of this Petrinov, but I'll take your word that it's likely not him. I'd say that it's probably not the thieves' guild, but you never know. Some of them are crazy enough to do just about anything."

Holtti scratches his chin. "If you're going to see Enigma, be careful what you let him know. He's got quite way with words, and every time I go to him for information, I come out feeling like he's learned more than he's told me. The old bastard knows his stuff, though; he's the one that recommended the four of you to me, and it should suffice to say that I'm already quite impressed."
    A few odds and ends.

7. - Top - End - #217

Alphonse scratches the back of his head, smiling "Thank you, Sir Holtti. I'd be happier with my work if I had a head to show and a prisoner to interrogate, but Tass finished off the Gargoyle and the shadow escaped. But rest assured, we'll find her. And I'll be sure to keep hold of your advice."

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

We don't actually know it's dead.
    Tass interjects and points up the corridor.

We should probably head back and hear the living musician, and then check on its body. We wouldn't want such a formidable enemy to get away.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ettin in the Playground

Holtti nods. "I've sent for some of Brynne's personal guard to watch over Prince Wuscfrea, and they'll be bringing more of the palace guards to sweep the feast hall for that shadowy woman." He stands up. "I'll check on that gargoyle. I'll make damn sure it's dead." He glances at you. "You're welcome to accompany me, or to remain here with the prince. It might be worth having someone a bit gentler than myself try to calm that musician down. He just babbled when I tried to get him to talk."
    A few odds and ends.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

I wouldn't kill him if he lives. He may hold some answers to all of this.
    Tass makes a sweeping gesture around herself, pointing toward nothing at all.

And we'll talk to the ministrel and try to calm him down.
    Last edited by Teddy; 2014-02-24 at 11:22 AM.

Show

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground

As most of the dialogue between the general and his companions, Lucas follows and listens, but as he was not on the roof with them, he has nothing to add. Part of him regretted not killing the monster on the roof while he had a chance, lest it recover and get away to kill again. Lucas was relieved to find the prince safe, but he'd feel safer if they hadn't just exposed his posistion in the process. As conversation moves to that of the final musician, he speaks up.

"I hope you treated the man gently, General. He likely just witnessed the slaughter of what might have been his family and friends, not to mention the fact that he's been addled by other worldly forces. This is one of the reasons I gave you a bottle to heal him, rather than healing him myself. Such exhibited magics might have cause some sort of anxiety." He looks around at his group. "I don't think we'll need everyone in the room to question him. If any of you have spells that you think might calm him, you will be more than valuable, but if not, I'd like to try a gentle approach. He looked half crazed by whatever he saw."
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

Holtti looks between you. "Very well, then." He opens the door from the chamber and begins to walk up the passage.

Wuscfrea quickly glances up at the general and at each of you, then leans back and starts reading again.
    A few odds and ends.

13. - Top - End - #223

Alphonse stands at attention "I'll be waiting here, guarding the Prince."

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

Tass follows Holtti up the passage.

Show

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

Hallway:

You follow the general back up to the hallway. Holtti stops in front of an open door, and says " "The man's in there, and well-guarded. Good luck." He calls to a few guards, and they head for the stairs to the roof.

The room where the musician is kept is simple, with a rug, a chair, and a desk. There are two guards standing on the sides of the room; one is tapping the butt of his spear against the floor impatiently, and the other is leaning against the wall with his arms crossed. The musician himself is sitting cross-legged in the middle of the rug with his head down, clutching the bloody stump of his left hand. He rocks back and forth, and visibly shakes with every motion.
    A few odds and ends.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Tass walks up to the musician and puts her hand comfortingly on his shoulder. After a little while, she speaks up in a soft tone.

What was it you saw?

Show

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ettin in the Playground

The musician recoils at your touch, but ultimately allows you to leave your hand on his shoulder. He eventually seems to relax some, although he's still shaking.

"Th-th-they're all g-g-g-gone... Sh-she went f-f-for J-Jay f-first-t, b-but I-I-I p-p-ulled Her off-f... my h-hand..." He shudders. "S-so f-fast... It w-was all quiet, then everyone was d-d-d-dead-dead-dead... J-Jay... We couldn't-t s-s-speak, but Sh-She c-could... s-said Sh-She would t-take J-Jay's s-soul as p-p-penance-ce, and ours too if we interf-fered..."
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2014-03-08 at 12:41 PM.
    A few odds and ends.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Tass shows a puzzled face.

What would she want a penance for...?

Show

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ettin in the Playground

He shakes his head. "S-sins of the f-father... s-said that each s-son would p-pay their f-father's p-penance... Th-three s-souls for the one d-d-denied to Her..." He covers his face. "Why? ....Why J-Jay? He d-didn't d-do anyth-thing... Th-the others j-just t-tried to s-save him..."
    A few odds and ends.

20. - Top - End - #230

While Alphonse guards the Prince, he'll engage in small talk to sort of ease what worries he might have. A more specific thing he'll ask, however, is "Sir Prince...I know it's vague a question, but do you know of reasons why assassins such as these would be attacking you and yours?"

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ettin in the Playground

The prince looks up from his book with a slightly puzzled expression. "Hrm... I don't know. I know I have a few political enemies, but... I mean, neither of my younger brothers are power-hungry enough to kill me for being next in line for the throne... and I haven't made any particularly unpopular decisions with the nobles or the merchant class... I really couldn't say. Perhaps someone's trying to start a war, like Janick said... Gods, that's the last thing we need now... Or maybe someone has a grudge against the royal family..."
    A few odds and ends.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Tass turns to Béla and Lucas.

Have you heard about anything like this before?

Show

23. - Top - End - #233

"I imagine many people would have a reason to hold a grudge. But who would hate the royal line, and have access to such shadowy magic?" Alphonse asked, still feeling the sting of the magic that burned him.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground

"Well... the Kerrenland is poor, but it wasn't always that way. My grandfather has held the throne for over 60 years. For forty years he built the Cymran empire on the Kerrenland's gold... He made the mining companies in the south filthy rich. But in the past two decades, he's seized a fair amount of that gold in taxes to pay for his wars...

Wuscfrea shakes his head, then smiles. "But what wars! We've never lost a naval battle, Alphonse. At first, we were just defending against invaders... but we've since conquered the north, from the river that flows through this city all the way to the northernmost point of the Navarre mountains. We've seized lands in the far south, too. In twenty years, what was once a destitute port town is now the trade capital of the continent. But nobles of the Kerrenland have suffered. They're still wealthy, far beyond the nobles here, but... it's only a shade of how wealthy they used to be. I'm sure some of those mining companies hate my grandfather enough to want the whole royal family dead..."

The prince shakes his scratches his chin. "I don't know why they didn't start with my youngest brother Sinead, though, unless they plan to puppet him on the throne... He's the one that rules the Kerrenland, anyway. It strikes me as kind of silly to kill the person farthest away first..."
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2014-03-09 at 04:37 PM.
    A few odds and ends.

25. - Top - End - #235

Alphonse thinks on it, and says "Sir Prince, perhaps they are sending a message? They say that beheading the snake will kill it...but starting from the tail may put it under your command."

Spoiler: Checking what passes for Alphonse's brain
    Show
    History Check: Do any of the places or people he bring up have history of black magic, cultist assassins, and other such nastiness?

(1d20+4)[20]

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ettin in the Playground

Wuscfrea furrows his brow and nods his head slowly. "Perhaps... I think it'd be best to send word to my brothers, so they can be on their guard... Honestly, I hate all of this assassin business. Some people will do anything for power... As long as no one's trying to assassinate my grandfather..."

He shakes his head. "Enough of this dark talk! Tell me, Alphonse, where are you from? You seem like quite an interesting fellow; what made you take up adventuring?"

Spoiler: Alphonse
    Show
    There have been assassinations of various southern nobles, although no names really stand out to you as exceptionally suspicious. No nobles have been publicly associated with black magic to your knowledge.

Some of the merchant guilds and mining companies, however, are a bit more suspicious. You remember reading about a feud between two mining companies that happened about 60 or 70 years ago - Central Navarre Mining Co. (owned by a few wealthy nobles), and Kerrenland Mining Company (owned by Fylke's Merchant's Guild). There were a few cave-ins that were suspected sabotage, and some mysterious deaths and disappearances that happened shortly after, believed to be retaliation. There were rumors of black magic at the time. This continued for a year or two, spread across many of both companies' sites in the Navarre mountains.

You also remember two iron mines northwest of Capel Kerig (as both companies have mines up and down the mountain range), perhaps a week or two upriver, relatively near to the battle where Brynne was slain.
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2014-03-14 at 01:18 AM.
    A few odds and ends.

27. - Top - End - #237

Alphonse files away that information for later, and answers the Prince's question with a smile, and subtle pose. "Ah, thank you, my Prince. I hail from deep northern Cymru, or at least I suppose. You see, I was abandoned on the door step of a Dragon Monestary as a babe, and was taught the way of the dragon by the monks. I adventure primarily to provide for my family back in that same abbey, but..." Alphonse reaches behind himself a moment, before removing a hand sized sigil, gold trimmed with twin dragons of inlaid jade coiling up and around a spear "I was left with his, Sir Prince, and am also searching for what it means."

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

Wuscfrea nods. "Monestary life, huh? I suppose that's more interesting than sitting around and memorizing a bunch of military and history books... and all the damn etiquette. It's the sort of stuff you have to know as someone who's effectively a diplomat and a military commander, though; having royal blood kind of sticks you with the job. I..." He pauses. "I think I'm going to have to rely on Janick for a lot of that, though. He's got a lot of experience, both on the battlefield and in keeping the nobles at home happy."

The prince leans back in his chair and sets down the book on black magic that he was holding. "Thank the gods the nobles here are happy. Some of them are a real nightmare, even when they've got what they want. Take Lord Eklund, for example. He's constantly complaining about the taxes, but he so rarely pays his full share of them anyway, so I'm not entirely sure why he bothers. So many damn legal loopholes... At least he's not paying off the city guards to smuggle in some commodity. That one is Lady Aaron, and she's just not worth our time to do anything about it. She pays the rest of her taxes, and no one ever seems to complain about her - granted, that's probably because they've got her gold in their pockets - so prosecuting her and taking her land just isn't worth the trouble to get a few extra gold off of the stuff she imports illicitly. Plus, she can probably hire legal aides just as good as ours - if not with her own money, then with favors pulled in from someone else." Wuscfrea shakes his head. "All the damn favors. You get to nobility, and your gold means nothing. Sure, you can buy other people, but only the most corrupt are going to be loyal to your gold. They're all cashing in favors to get things done. And everyone will jump at a chance to do something for someone desperate... Be careful who you owe favors to, Alphonse. Most of the nobles take that stuff pretty seriously, however laid-back they seem at the time."

He looks at the jade amulet. "Interesting... it seems familiar, although I'm not sure why... What do you know about it?"
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2014-03-14 at 11:23 PM.
    A few odds and ends.

29. - Top - End - #239

Alphonse puts on a serious face, poses with the sigil in hand, pointing at it, and says "I know it has dragons on it."

He then laughs, breaking his stoney expression.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    He shakes his head. "S-sins of the f-father... s-said that each s-son would p-pay their f-father's p-penance... Th-three s-souls for the one d-d-denied to Her..." He covers his face. "Why? ....Why J-Jay? He d-didn't d-do anyth-thing... Th-the others j-just t-tried to s-save him..."
    Lucas scans his memory for any religions involving penance such as what the musician described. Lucas also inspects the man for any more signs of damage besides the hand. As he does so, Lucas attempts to calm the man further, by assuring him that they would find out those responsible for this and find out why.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Knowledge Religion: (1d20+4)[16]
    Heal Check: (1d20+13)[21]
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)