New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Superman vs Saitama (aka One Punch Man)

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Did you read the OP? Superman watches him one-shot a Mysterious Being.
    Your point is? One shooting a demon class mysterious being is nothing that should impress Superman.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    Your point is? One shooting a demon class mysterious being is nothing that should impress Superman.
    My point is that's still enough information to stay out of reach, dodge, or do the phasing thing.

Also, I don't know the classes of mysterious beings or anything but I was presuming that anything Lex deemed worthy of unleashing anywhere wouldn't be a pushover either.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

My point is that's still enough information to stay out of reach, dodge, or do the phasing thing.

Also, I don't know the classes of mysterious beings or anything but I was presuming that anything Lex deemed worthy of unleashing anywhere wouldn't be a pushover either.
    Eh it could probably easily destroy cities, but we haven't even seen anything continent destroying yet in One Punch man. So nothing which should worry Superman enough to cause him to play it safe, except if you can demonstrate that that is Supermans standard way to deal with superpowered enemies who haven't displayed anything which could be a danger to him based on the feats ascribed to him. I don't think it matters since I don't think that one punching is literally Saitamas superpower.
    Standard fighting styles and behaviour are a part of vs fights and I had the impression that Superman is usually more a "just tank hits" than the "instantly withdraw and nuke from orbit" fighter, Especially since he probably would try to subdue Saitama without killing him.

4. - Top - End - #94

Superman doesn't use his true Int score in most media any more than Batman does. Hell, according to the internet Batman would supposedly win every battle ever, yet his "standard way" is to get beat up by the villain (or led on a wild goose chase) until he figures something out.

It all comes down to how savvy he is in this scenario. If Supes does indeed know he'll get OHKO'ed then he will stay out of reach and win; if not, he might do that anyway and still win anyway, or he might not and lose.

Also, I've never read OPM - does he brag at all? Would he let his ability slip? And how would Supes react to the claim? It's all a bit nebulous.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2014-01-21 at 05:16 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

5. - Top - End - #95
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tanuki Tales View Post
    Edit:

Also, good heapings of plot stupidity.
    It's not an outlier when there are just as many depictions one way as the other. It's especially not an outlier when depictions of Supes struggling against street level enemies are faaaaar more common in modern media than depictions of Supes performing planet busting feats.

I agree with what is stated earlier. He's too variable to function well in a vs thread.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

Superman reacts depending on the writer and the situation he's in. If he knows he's fighting someone who's in his weight class or someone he needs to beat down fast, he'll pull out his speedblitz, matter phasing, pressure point spamming, etc. tricks at the get go. If he's up against someone he doesn't really want to severely hurt or doesn't need to put down fast, he'll take it to the chest and fight with less finesse.

Saitama is still just a supersonic mountain level brick who fights supersonic city to mountain level foes though. I wish I could think of a brick who's a good fight for Saitama. Colossus is too weak, but She-Hulk and Thing are too strong.

Edit:

@Anteros: Media that isn't comics.

And it's your prerogative if you want to low-ball and downplay Superman.
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2014-01-21 at 05:33 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97

I agree that in a base pairing of power suite to power suite Supes wins hands down. OPM's only hope in this scenario is being underestimated.

Actually, he kinda reminds me of that one idiot from Bleach, the Fullbring guy with the brass knuckles.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

I agree that in a base pairing of power suite to power suite Supes wins hands down. OPM's only hope in this scenario is being underestimated.
    Only if we're ignoring Saitama's actual feats. Even by his character statements, he's not above planet level.

Actually, he kinda reminds me of that one idiot from Bleach, the Fullbring guy with the brass knuckles.
    I don't care what anyone says, I personally liked the Fullbring arc.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Colossus in the Playground

Also, I've never read OPM - does he brag at all? Would he let his ability slip? And how would Supes react to the claim? It's all a bit nebulous.
    Nope. The worst he would do is come off as kind of cocky, talking about how Superman's such a famous hero, maybe he can give him a challange, to the point where Superman might let him get a punch in. I don't know Superman much, but I've heard that he's in the buisness of letting people who appear cocky break their fists on his apparently molecular vibrating super muscles, so he'd probably let Saitama get a punch in.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Banned

Superman reacts depending on the writer and the situation he's in. If he knows he's fighting someone who's in his weight class or someone he needs to beat down fast, he'll pull out his speedblitz, matter phasing, pressure point spamming, etc. tricks at the get go. If he's up against someone he doesn't really want to severely hurt or doesn't need to put down fast, he'll take it to the chest and fight with less finesse.

Saitama is still just a supersonic mountain level brick who fights supersonic city to mountain level foes though. I wish I could think of a brick who's a good fight for Saitama. Colossus is too weak, but She-Hulk and Thing are too strong.

Edit:

@Anteros: Media that isn't comics.

And it's your prerogative if you want to low-ball and downplay Superman.
    Even in comics. I personally own about 50-100 80s era superman or justice League comics. Even in those he's commonly shown to be around city busting levels of power barring the rare exception. He's far more commonly depicted as having to exert himself for feats such as lifting a building, or racing to save someone across a town than he is shown moving a planet or traveling at light speed. His power fluctuates wildly depending on the writer and the plot, and those who choose to consider his lower powered depictions as the "True" superman are no less correct than someone who wants to view silver age superman being able to move 10 planets at once as the true version.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Even in comics. I personally own about 50-100 80s era superman or justice League comics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anteros
    He's far more commonly depicted
    And there's your problem.

Edit: You're basically ignoring everything that's happened with him since the 90s and up to the DCnU reboot.
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2014-01-21 at 06:37 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

Colossus is too weak, but She-Hulk and Thing are too strong.
    Really? I'll admit that I don't know much about She-Hulk outside of Marvel Vs Capcom 3, but I've not seen The Thing do anything truly I'd consider above "Mountain Busting". I remember in one copy of Marvel UK, when the comic was doing Thing Vs Hulk, it listed Ben Grimm lifting a mountain and throwing it as his max level strength feat. I'd put this on par with Saitama, or even above him if we go only be feats shown. But he's far far too slow to be an equal match to him, and Saitama has taken blows from attacks that would send The Thing flying but not knock him out, and not even flinch.

For a clear demonstration of his speed, in the latest arc of OPM, Saitama and his pupil Genos are training under one of the S-Rank heroes Bang (Rank 3) when they are called to the Hero Association. An alien space ship appears during the S-Rank hero meeting and destroys all of A-City in seconds except the Hero Association tower using a giant machine gun which shoots bullets around 3 times Saitama's height. Saitama not only jumps through the roof of the same building the aliens haven't even scratched, but when he gets to the top he dodges one bullet and then kicks another back at the ship.

I can see Thing taking more than "One Punch", but just can't see him winning when Saitama is just that much faster than him.

Also, yeah, Fullbring Arc was pretty interesting. Better than the 1000 year blood war one that's going on now anyway.
    "The advantage of fighting your clone is you know EXACTLY what will make him feel guilty. That's also how Catholicism beats up so many ninjas." - Christopher Hastings, Dr McNinja

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Hasnt the thing quite often displayed unusually fast reactions?
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Hasnt the thing quite often displayed unusually fast reactions?
    Ben and Jen have country level feats and massively hypersonic reaction speed feats. Though it'd take me more time to dig those out than with Superman because they're honestly not two characters I'm terribly versed in.
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2014-01-21 at 08:07 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105

Only if we're ignoring Saitama's actual feats. Even by his character statements, he's not above planet level.
    Did you read what I wrote? I was giving Superman the upper hand abilities-wise.

I don't care what anyone says, I personally liked the Fullbring arc.
    HERETIC! UNCLEAN!

(Even the captains were like "well, glad this **** is over" and walked out of the theater during the final battle.)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

Fallacy based arguments are going to be dismissed on the basis that they aren't grounded in reality in this case.

It isn't arrogance when someone dismisses your entirely assumption based argument, and it's not rudeness when someone points out you're wrong, and even if it was either of those things it wouldn't matter because people follow it up with ad hominem.

Superman wins this before Saitama's nervous system can fire the signals to his brain with his supersonic reactions. Before the light reaches his eyes he is incapacitated having his musculature reduced and his "One Punch" abilities removed in the fortress of solitude.

Superman can do this, he's a scientist and has done it to people who's powers are both purely biological and those magical in nature.

Saitama not only loses, but loses his powers as well becoming a non threat.

Superman solos the setting as well if we expand it to that.
    Last edited by Fan; 2014-01-22 at 03:56 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

Just playing Devil's advocate:

Who did Superman de-power and had it stick? Discounting anyone who's powers came from a specific item that was removed and they never re-obtained.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

Just playing Devil's advocate:

Who did Superman de-power and had it stick? Discounting anyone who's powers came from a specific item that was removed and they never re-obtained.
    It stuck to The Elite for awhile, the organization had to go and reobtain their powers. (In this case their damaged minds and removed powers were given back to them by President Lex Luthor.)

It sticks until it's unstuck in most cases. Even Doomsday had to be taken out of the phantom zone at several points.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Banned

And there's your problem.

Edit: You're basically ignoring everything that's happened with him since the 90s and up to the DCnU reboot.
    I'll admit that I don't follow as avidly as I did when I was a child...but I've still read multiple copies of Superman comics in more recent years. For example, I remember when they re-launched him recently with the undies on the inside of the pants...there's a point in that issue where he's pinned down by some sort of gravity gun...yet Lois is able to drive a normal truck through the increased gravity in order to save him.

Maybe you're correct and more recent depictions have drifted back towards silver age levels of power...but that's not the impression I've gotten from my admittedly less than avid following. It's certainly not the way he's depicted in other forms of media. Thus, when people create a thread talking about how a character is commonly predicted...they're talking about the way the character is perceived by the general public, rather than a handful of examples in one specific set of media that contradict themselves regularly.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I'll admit that I don't follow as avidly as I did when I was a child...but I've still read multiple copies of Superman comics in more recent years. For example, I remember when they re-launched him recently with the undies on the inside of the pants...there's a point in that issue where he's pinned down by some sort of gravity gun...yet Lois is able to drive a normal truck through the increased gravity in order to save him.
    That's DCnU Superman...who's weaker than Post Crisis. Still has some good feats for him lately and still above Saitama though.

Maybe you're correct and more recent depictions have drifted back towards silver age levels of power...but that's not the impression I've gotten from my admittedly less than avid following. It's certainly not the way he's depicted in other forms of media. Thus, when people create a thread talking about how a character is commonly predicted...they're talking about the way the character is perceived by the general public, rather than a handful of examples in one specific set of media that contradict themselves regularly.
    Yeah...read through the thread and check the OP again. IrnBru was looking for comic book Superman and was more than satisfied with Post Crisis Superman being discussed. Post Crisis is also the most common Superman as he's the Superman with the most printed history. Golden Age Superman was from 1938 to 1956, which is 18 years of material. Silver Age Superman was from 1956 to 1970, which is 14 years of material. Bronze Age Superman was 1970 to 1985, which is 15 years of material. Post Crisis Superman popped up following the Crisis, so about 1987, and lasted until 2011; that's a whopping 25 years of material. DCnU Superman popped up in 2011 and has been with us thus far, giving him only 2 or 3 years of material.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Fan View Post
    his "One Punch" abilities removed in the fortress of solitude.

Superman can do this, he's a scientist and has done it to people who's powers are both purely biological and those magical in nature.
    Actually, I'm not sure he can. No one really knows how Saitama got his powers and the best speculation is that Saitama doesn't have a "limiter." Basically Saitama's powers stems from the fact he literally doesn't have limits to what he can do. How does Superman remove powers from someone whose powers are the result of lacking something that is theoretical and pretty much philosophical?

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Tira View Post
    Actually, I'm not sure he can. No one really knows how Saitama got his powers and the best speculation is that Saitama doesn't have a "limiter." Basically Saitama's powers stems from the fact he literally doesn't have limits to what he can do. How does Superman remove powers from someone whose powers are the result of lacking something that is theoretical and pretty much philosophical?
    By putting hard limiters on his body, or removing musculature, removing his capability to punch people. Lobotomizing him to remove all aggressive tendencies, super hypnosis to make him believe that he's taken a oath of non violence he'd rather die than break.

It's really not hard to make a brick a non threat.

Also there are plenty of limits to what he can do. Please stop being a no limits fallacy.
    Last edited by Fan; 2014-01-22 at 07:52 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

By putting hard limiters on his body, or removing musculature, removing his capability to punch people.

It's really not hard.
    Doesn't work, because Saitama's power would have to work logically for it to work. Saitama already doesn't have the musculature to punch as hard as he does and likewise there's no reason to think that putting hard limiters on his body would do anything.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

Doesn't work, because Saitama's power would have to work logically for it to work. Saitama already doesn't have the musculature to punch as hard as he does and likewise there's no reason to think that putting hard limiters on his body would do anything.
    Do you have any reason besides "it's fiction" to back that up?

I mean, Superman's powers don't work logically either, and he's depowered people who work purely on magic.

Cause if you don't... Concession accepted. That's not a valid reason and if you don't have others well, no point in arguing further.
    Last edited by Fan; 2014-01-22 at 07:53 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

Some people in this thread have been treating Saitama name of "One Punch Man" as being prescriptive instead of descriptive.

I think that's the right turn of phrase.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Do you have any reason besides "it's fiction" to back that up?

I mean, Superman's powers don't work logically either, and he's depowered people who work purely on magic.

Cause if you don't... Concession accepted.
    The reason is: The rule of funny. In-universe his power doesn't make sense. There's no reason he should be as strong as he is, but he is and that's just how it is. Superman has justifications for his powers and they work logically in-universe.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

The reason is: The rule of funny. In-universe his power doesn't make sense. There's no reason he should be as strong as he is, but he is and that's just how it is. Superman has justifications for his powers and they work logically in-universe.
    Saitama got his powers from doing 100 push ups and sit ups every day forever and from sacrificing his hair. I've read the manga, it's not nearly so Bugs Bunny.

His power has an explanation, in universe it's because he's just that strong. Removing his musculature, giving him his hair back, and hypnotizing him to make him a non threat would work and you've given no reason why it wouldn't in a situation not dictated by a greater plot.

Concession accepted.
    Last edited by Fan; 2014-01-22 at 08:06 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Saitama got his powers from doing 100 push ups and sit ups every day forever and from sacrificing his hair.

His power has an explanation, in universe it's because he's just that strong.
    No one in-universe believes that explanation because it's impossible. It's treated just like if someone in the real world did it and gained superpowers from it.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

No one in-universe believes that explanation because it's impossible. It's treated just like if someone in the real world did it and gained superpowers from it.
    No one has to believe it? It's the explanation given and until there's a new one that's what is canon.

This is again.. completely irrelevant to anything that has been said and is based entirely in speculation. Your argument at this point is literally just nonsense. Concession accepted.

Thank you, have a nice day.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

He gained his abilities by doing 100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups and 100 squats along with running 10 km every single day. Of course most people who have met him think he is either lying or gained them elsewhere, but flashbacks to before or during his training have shown he's probably telling the truth. He doesn't really have any way you can "remove" his powers without killing him. It's 100% him. He was shown to have amazing stamina as a child, not dying when chasing a weak mysterious pig being, but he didn't have any true beyond-human feats till after he started training.

Taking his strength away would be like taking Spiderman's sense of humour away, or Batman's detective skills. While Supes could likely take them away using his Fortress of Solitude bots, we stated no gadgets on his part to ensure fairness since Saitama has never used one himself. Giving Supes his FoS or a Phantom Projector is like giving Batman prep-time, auto-win, no fun at all.

edit: you mentioned lobotomy in a post you ninjad me on. I thought you meant the same way he had removed the Elites powers since you mentioned that example.

Ignore this post.
    Last edited by IrnBruAddict; 2014-01-22 at 08:20 PM.
    "The advantage of fighting your clone is you know EXACTLY what will make him feel guilty. That's also how Catholicism beats up so many ninjas." - Christopher Hastings, Dr McNinja