New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [DSP/PF] Magic of Incarna Playtest Open

Regarding static bonuses: i consider them necessary but boring. Something they may be all you can get to work with a basic level veil, but the binds should do something cool to compensate. Haven't read enough to see if there are any examples. For example, the one you just posted - gives something cool (a summoned weapon), then the other abilities improve it. I consider that good design. If it just gave flat bonuses to melee attacks it may be good, maybe even over powered depending on the numbers, but its not INTERESTING.

Another example that I like is the one that gives an archon. As you noted, it needs toning down at lower levels. I haven't checked its scaling at higher levels, but its COOL. Also thematic for a LG visier. You could even impersonate a paladin, bind melee and save boosts and have an angel following you around. This is great. +2 vs web effects or sonic damage? Meh. Situational and small, too corner to ever be used for its own sake.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Since PF Psionics are DSP owned, you could make an official Aegis/Daevic hybrid PrC. That's 100% what I'd want to play for a melee build in Pathfinder. If not, I suppose I'll have to brew it myself.
    Any generic Incarna/Psi PrC would work actually - Astral Suits are progressed (like Mind Blades) by "+1 psionic class level" PrCs.

I'll give detailed feedback on the playtest later this weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Since PF Psionics are DSP owned, you could make an official Aegis/Daevic hybrid PrC. That's 100% what I'd want to play for a melee build in Pathfinder. If not, I suppose I'll have to brew it myself.
    This is VERY much a distinct possibility (as in, there's already a couple different ideas for blending those classes in development, as well as a possibility of expanding this project into reviving DSP's Psicarnum project that kind of got dropped by the wayside a while back).

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vanitas View Post
    Are there any plans for a PoW/Incarna (god I hate that name) crossover?
    This is something I would absolutely love to work with Chris and Jade on, but it's going to involve this project reaching a certain level of success, and both teams having the time and opportunity to make it happen.

If we reach the level of interest where I get the opportunity to add the PrC's I want to this book, and Chris is okay with me playing in his yard, I really want at least one PrC for veilweaver/initiator characters. Something involving binding Veils to your weapon and investing Essence in maneuvers. I've got plans, yo.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ssalarn View Post
    Quick question on Arcane Imbuement:

It seems like people aren't feeling the static bonuses too much, is that accurate, or are the people who don't like it just the most verbal?

Follow up question: Once upon a time this class had a whole "Sorcerer's Apprentice" trick where it could animate all of it's Arcane Imbuement items to create an army of tiny veil wearing companions. That proved troublesome and had some of the same issues as the master summoner when they had their own actions, and was actually just plain terrible if the Vizier had to spend his own actions to command each one individually.

So what if your Arcane Imbuements could be assembled into a kind of Incarna Golem that you could attach your Veils to? The Seer path would give enhanced bonuses for the abilities shared with your golem, and the Crafter path would make your golem more durable and combat capable.

Thoughts?
    an incarnation golem ability sounds awesome.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feint's End View Post
    The other two classes sound pretty promising too ... especially the Guru. If it really works as described here it would bring some great fresh wind and interesting class concept in. I only hope the Daevic allows for several different playstyles because while I thought the Totemist was awesome there was no good way of playing a weapon wielding (and offensive) Incarnum user. So a weapon path (which works offensively out of the box) would be much appreciated.
    Every Passion available to the Daevic supports at least two different combat styles, at least one of which involves the use of manufactured weapons. Natural attacks are going to be a very sweet option, but you will definitely be able to swing a sword, dagger, or shield with an equal level of effectiveness.

The Guru should be VERY unique, and I'm looking forward to introducing him to everyone once they've gotten to know the Vizier and the subsystem a little better. One thing that's always bugged me is that there aren't a lot of ways to create a character who believes in subduing enemies without killing them without dragging down the party, getting caught up in alignments and codes that severely hamper your ability to be part of any group that isn't entirely composed of pacifists, etc. Since the Guru directly attacks an opponent's chakra, you can be a redemption giving pacifist, or you can be a life-draining vampire who drags out his enemies suffering to punish them for their sins.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    I was thinking about that, lying in bed last night. Having a Lantern Archon at level 1 is a very powerful asset indeed. By dropping a feat on Shape Veil, anyone can get this. At level 7, pick up Access Low Chakra Slot, you get beefier buddies.

Speaking of Access Low Chakra, does it give you a chakra bind? If so, does it work differently for veil-weavers v. non-veil-weavers? There's tons of debate involving Open <whatever> Chakra, and it doesn't appear the wording improved.

Next week I will be giving the core system language an overhaul to make sure binds and veils are clearly defined and delineated. Access Low Chakra should basically be the follow up feat for Shape Veil. First you learn a Veil, then you unlock its bind to get its next level of power.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Dreamscarred Press introduces: Magic of Incarna

Chakra binds are now basically just a "power-up" for Veils that you unlock as you progress in levels. They do not interfere with magic items occupying the same slots any more. And the feats should be decent. But feel free to check out the playtest document and tell me what you think, and what you think we could be doing better!
    Reading through it now, going to use this post as a general stream of thought as I read. Apologies if it gets incoherent at any point, or if anything I mention gets addressed later in the packet.

• It seems like you kept everything I don't like about MoI. I was commenting on it in another thread recently, but MoI has some major flaws. Most notably is it's over complicated for the sake of being over complicated. Having bonuses for Shaping, Investing, and Binding the same soulmeld just seems extraneous. The first class we're given a peek at seems to have an extra mechanic where you gain a separate bonus from essence invested based on body slot. If the goal is to appeal to people who thought MoI was the best thing ever, you're on the right track. If it's to make something a broader audience might appreciate... it could use some streamlining.

At the very least drop the separate body slots for chakra binds. You already have a limit to how many soulmelds you can shape. You've also got a limit to how many you can bind. Do we need to have a bunch of different combinations of "Yes you can bind this" and "No you can't bind that"? Seriously consider just making chakra binds a number (ie you can shape 6 soulmelds and bind 3 of them), rather than tying to body slot.
    • Okay still early in the Vizier, and already we've hit another sticking point from Incarnum. While Essence is supposed to be juggled freely as a big feature of the system, here we have a class feature that requires you to lock in your essence for 24 hours to use. Do not want.
    • Shoulder slot arcane imbuement seems really gimp compared to others. Bonuses to attack rolls, saving throws, movement speed, skill checks... vs +10lbs carrying capacity? 10lbs falls into the realm of "I couldn't care less" whether you're the 8strength caster type or the 50 strength hulking brute. Bonus effective strength when determining carrying capacity might be more worthwhile, but even there it's still carrying capacity. The only people who will really care are hulking hurlers. This just needs something that's going to be more generally useful. ESPECIALLY under the current design where different slots are supposed to be meaningful, and thus unlocking Shoulders specifically is your 9th level ability.
    • Veilshifting is kind of cool. The description of it also led me to thinking "What if a veilweaver did something similar without immediately reshaping the soulmeld?", the description of reshaping unleashed energy just made me think of a veilshaper going nova by detonating all of his soulmelds on enemies.
    • Is it my imagination or is the Seer path the poor man's Tactician? Maybe I need to go look at it again to see how they compare, but I seem to remember the Tactician having a much easier time sharing his teamwork feats around.
    • Okay just got to the table. Remember my complaints from before? Yeah, still in effect. Except it's even weirder. You have a limit to how many chakras you can bind in addition to what chakra slots are available? And the number of chakra slots available is lower? I get that Chakra binds provide more powerful abilities, but unless you've dramatically improved them from the original MoI, there is no way they are worth this many restrictions. I should not need a spreadsheet to figure out what my character is capable of!
    • Table of soulmelds is fairly useless because it gives only a general overview of the ability... which is fine for a feat which has one use. But here we literally have 3 different effects for the soulmeld. Should really make this table provide a different entry for each effect so someone can tell at a glance what they're getting out of it.
    • Avatar of Light-At level 16 I get a 14th level Cleric Cohort with bonus special abilities as a minor class feature. I am having trouble finding words for this.
    • By comparison the very next Soulmeld has a chakra bind that doesn't seem to scale with level at all. 1d4+essence slashing damage for free is cool at level 1. Unfortunately the Wrist Chakra unlocks at level 7, meaning it comes online 2 levels later than your Lantern Archon pokevolves into a Hound Archon, and destroying any thought I may have had about you balancing these chakra binds based on the level they come online (which brings me back to: Just get rid of them). Seriously this could be 1d4+1 per essence invested and it still wouldn't be particularly meaningful given the restrictions on its use.
    • Bloody Shroud is cool, but for some reason gets smacked with the evil descriptor. Why? No idea. Apparently cutting people to death is fine as long as you don't make them bleed.
    • Bralani's Brooch seems on the weak end of things. Your shoulder chakra bind is a 1st or 2nd level spell buff, and the neck chakra bind unlocks at level 13. At which point 17+essence spell resistance is so low as to be insulting. Seriously even with max essence investment you're pulling off SR23, which is the minimum you should be getting at level 13, not the maximum at level 20 (by which point this amount of SR is completely useless).

Once again I'm seeing no correlation whatsoever between the level a chakra unlocks at, and the actual power that chakra grants. If you're not going to have that kind of correlation, then there is no justification at all for having chakras limited by slot.
    • Circlet of Brass seems like it will mostly be useful for a character to pick up with a feat unless there's more fire themed soulmelds around. That said, the chakra bind gives us with max essence investment a 8d6+16 with a save DC of 24+int mod for half, which makes it a better scaling ability than several I've seen so far. I'd probably bind this just to have a solid fallback. Note: This doesn't actually state the range on your attack from the chakra bind, unless Pathfinder has specific range limitation for eye beams that I am not aware of.
    • Collar of Skilled instruction: The shaping and the essence bonuses are cool, but the chakra bind seems completely redundant with the Seer capabilities. If I was interested in this, I'd have picked Seer instead of Crafter and had the same net effect without wasting a chakra bind. If I'm not interested in this, why do I care? I can't imagine this ever gets bound.
    • Cowards Boots give 5+5/essence. The Foot bind gives 5+5/essence. So I'm assuming if I bind these as a Vizier, I end up with like +80ft movement speed? I'm okay with this. Also does the chakra bind get you the bonus essence normally granted by the feat, or just the bonus to AC against AoOs?
    • Daevic looks like you only gain any bonus for essence invested if you pick Wrath. The Desire Bind should probably either be set to your base land speed (so you can get benefit from your Feet binds) or have a speed that scales with essence invested. 30ft fly speed is pretty sub-par. On the other hand Dominion granting immunity to daze is a huge deal, as daze is a condition that is typically nearly impossible for a PC to become immune to. Immunity to Paralysis/Stun is fine, but Daze is what gets used for stuff like Celerity, making an easy way to gain immunity to it is probably a bad idea.
    • Ditchdigger's armlets sound awesome, but then turn out to be pretty lame. The Create Pit spell is extradimensional space so it isn't permanent landscape altering (taking away any fun non-combat uses), so what you get is a weak aoe attack with a secondary that ceases being useful around level 8 or so when most enemies start flying/teleporting/burrowing/anything that is not regular ground movement. Unfortunately you unlock the Chakra for the bind at level 7, right around the time the ability becomes obsolete.
    • Forcestrike knuckles are kind of cool in giving you another at-will offensive option. But that chakra bind is insulting.
    • Skipping ahead a bit because this is running long and I'm getting bored, Horns of the Minotaur... shape it I gain a secondary natural attack. Okay. Essence gives +1 damage, not even a bonus to hit? Ehh... okay. The Bind increases it from a d4 to a d8 and let's me use it as a primary attack? Who cares. Seriously this is a head chakra bind, competing with the very first veil in the packet, the ability to get a pet Hound/Lantern Archon. This isn't even on the same playing field.
    • Horselord's Greaves should really have the Mount's move speed scale up with your own bonuses to move speed. Otherwise this is a dead bind. Why summon a horse with 60ft move speed when I can move 110 on my own with a different bind?
    • By comparison I dig the Lavawalker boots. The resistance seems on the low end compared to other veils with similar capability, but the ability to charge over an open gap is cool, and brings to mind the Hover Boots from Zelda.
    • I was really interested reading Vestments of Majhara... and then I saw limited to 1 hour per character level. Really, this is a high level bind with a strict hit dice cap, and I can't even keep a bunch of minions around indefinitely, with an ability specifically tailored to do just that?
    • What happens if I invest more than 4 essence in Waistband of the Wealthy? Can I not gain more storage space than a Type 4 bag of holding? Even just giving +50% for each essence invested past 4 would be nice. Side note: Something like this might be a better reward for the Shoulder Arcane Imbue. Extradimensional storage space is much more useful than just plain extra encumbrance, and this scales so much nicer as well.
    • Oh boy feats. And apparently Neck/Belt are considered high chakras. Body/Chest are unobtainable through feats. Now I'm curious, what is your Veilweaver level considered if you only use these feats? 0? Doesn't that mess with a lot of veils that use your veilweaver level as a basis?

Also, the Vizier had a limited number of Chakras he could bind, based on level. Does a non-veilweaver have a limited number of binds? Or if I blew through 8 feats to get all of the chakras, could I bind a soulmeld to each chakra?
    • Body Bound Mind is a feat that requires 24 hour investment, and grants a limited amount of PP. Awesome at low levels (when 2-4 PP can make a huge difference), and a waste of a feat and essence by mid-high levels. If this is going to be a thing there's several different ways you could go about it to make it more useful: 1) Make the PP scale more as you increase in level 2) Make the investing instead of being an all day thing a psionic focus expenditure that burns that essence for a minute or so. 3) Make the essence invested act as a buffer for your PP, say reducing the cost of your powers by essence invested (but not raising the cap)
    • Looking at the following feat, at least all feats don't seem to require all-day investment.
    • Chakra enhanced fortitude is straight up worse than Great Fortitude until mid levels. I see no reason to take this besides the bonus point of essence. I assume there are other feats for the other two saves. This applies to them too.
    • Chakra Power on the other hand is nice. Bonus essence and an investment ability that applies to several things that are generally useful.
    • Daevic Rage on the other hand feels like something that should wait for an actual hybrid prestige class.
    • More feats with daily investitures. Seriously any feat that says "My essence is tied up in this for a full 24 hours" needs to be reworked to something that is not. Investing essence as a daily resource takes away pretty much the entire point of the Incarum system.
    • Why are there literally 3 different feats all about boosting HP? Seriously, we have gain HP = Max Essence; gain HP per essence invested; gain HP per incarum feat. Do we need this many different ways to represent incarnum giving extra health?
    • Shared Veil lets me share all of my veils with my pet Hound/Trumpet Archon? Excellent. Also, this seems more like what the Seer should be doing instead of fuddling about with Teamwork feats.
    • Veilbound Metamagic is going to be capital Broken if you have a prestige class that gives any sort of decent caster progression alongside essence progression. Seriously, this sort of metamagic reducing is a bad idea, especially since spells in general are already so much more powerful than anything you let any of your veils do. All this does is encourage people to ignore the majority of the system, dip it to gain a bunch of essence, and utilize that to break the game with free metamagic. I see no way this can be implemented and be a good idea. At all.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

9. - Top - End - #69
    Barbarian in the Playground

I swear these guys are going to get more of my money than Paizo.
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently Glanror in the Political Shenanigans campaign.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rankar View Post
    *I may not teach the paladin communism and the concept of the greater good.
    *It is not within my rights to overthrow the established monarchy using the communist paladin.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Barbarian in the Playground

Why is the brow slot the headband now? I know the 3.5 head slot was split into headband and head in Pathfinder, but previously brow was eyes, and many of the soulmelds, and now the ensuing veils, seem to be eye related.

Edit:
    Some feedback on the Vizier. I like it overall, it's a lot more wizardy than the Incarnate, but still has that Incarnum taste to it.

I definitely like Arcane Imbuement, but in some campaigns having to spend 24 hours doing nothing can be quite difficult. Maybe make it so you can just change one every 24 hours such as when you rest, or make it so you activate the process and 24 hours it takes effect. Because as written it seems you have to sit there for 24 hours doing nothing, and I've played many campaigns where you're rushing around saving the world and have no time to do such things.

For the Seer path the range on the feat sharing isn't clear. If someone moves more than 30 feet away does the effect end? If so, that's awfully restrictive in combat, I'd at least make it Close range, so there's some scaling, and clarify exactly how it works.

Essence capacity is great, +3 is really great. Two problems I see, the essence you get is the same as the Incarnate, but with +3 capacity rather than +2 you'll have even more trouble filling your veils. On the other hand, having to make tough strategic choices could be good... The other is, +2 capacity comes at level 12, when you also get increased capacity from hit dice. This makes so there's a huge jump in power at level 12, maybe bump up improved capacity to level 14? And then lower Veilshifting 2/day to level 12.

Lastly, why does Chakra Rebirth use Wisdom? I'd think it would use Intelligence since that's your main mental stat, Wisdom is used nowhere else.
    Last edited by Eldaran; 2014-01-18 at 07:57 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

How about the magic of blue stuff

And we can call the stuff blue thingy binding points

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Chakra Rebirth should use INT, I'll fix that for the next update. The Vizier's going to get numerous small adjustments, primarily in the areas of fluff and when he acquires some of his abilities. Stay tuned for that.
    Path of the Crafter is going to be getting some additional perks to allow more on the fly manipulation of items he has crafted himself, and to make crafting more accessible to a broader array of campaign types.
    Path of the Seer is getting a bit of a boost in range and effectiveness so that you aren't waiting until 12th level to be able to affect enough allies for it to be useful.
    Both paths "capstones" are getting shifted up to be more accessible at the most commonly played levels (i.e. Transfer the Essence will be available by 12th at the latest).

13. - Top - End - #73

Next week I will be giving the core system language an overhaul to make sure binds and veils are clearly defined and delineated. Access Low Chakra should basically be the follow up feat for Shape Veil. First you learn a Veil, then you unlock its bind to get its next level of power.
    Out of curiosity, are you going to make it function like this?

When you choose Access Low Chakra Slot, choose head, hands or feet. Let's say you choose head. If you have no veilweaver levels, you can bind a veil to that chakra (like giving you +1 to max chakra binds, but *only* head). If you're, say, a Vizier, you don't get any additional chakra binds, merely open that slot.

Similarly for Shape Veil. Not a veilweaver -> get one veil to shape, but only for the one you learn. A veilweaver -> nothing extra (other than knowing it).
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Out of curiosity, are you going to make it function like this?

When you choose Access Low Chakra Slot, choose head, hands or feet. Let's say you choose head. If you have no veilweaver levels, you can bind a veil to that chakra (like giving you +1 to max chakra binds, but *only* head). If you're, say, a Vizier, you don't get any additional chakra binds, merely open that slot.

Similarly for Shape Veil. Not a veilweaver -> get one veil to shape, but only for the one you learn. A veilweaver -> nothing extra (other than knowing it).
    That's pretty much accurate, yeah. The biggest reason for a veilweaving class to take Shape Veil would be to dip into Veils that would normally be locked to another class.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Changelog:

Avatar of Light updated to scale better through low levels.

Arcane Imbuement changed to Essence Bond to more accurately reflect the Vizier's power source and abilities. Numerous small changes made to granted bonuses, and several bonuses now granted as auras to emphasize the Vizier's nature as an advisor and a manipulator of Essence.

Mystic Bond changed to Mystic Attunement and level progression changed to 1st level and every 4 levels thereafter.

Veilshifting ability updated to provide more uses and be available starting at 3rd level.

Improved Essence Capacity acquired at 3rd, llth, and 19th level, allowing earlier access and distributing bonuses a little more evenly.

Constitution requirements removed from Veilweaving, reducing MAD.

Transfer the Essence now available from 1st level for characters who choose Path of the Crafter.

Path of the Seer updated to allow inherent sharing of all Teamwork feats granted by the ability with affected allies, and clarified that allies do not need to meet prerequisites of feats granted this way.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

The Mod Wonder: Merged a couple threads. May be some double posting or whatever before this point. It's cool.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    The Mod Wonder: Merged a couple threads. May be some double posting or whatever before this point. It's cool.
    Thanks Mark!

18. - Top - End - #78

May I ask why you're keeping base essence how it is? Is it simply because you feel it works fine? It's better than Incarnate not only because there's more Improved Essence Capacity, but also the veils are downright better. Still, the DC is 10+modifier+essence, as before... gives me concerns. I'd like to scour the veils with a more critical eye before commenting on this more.

I also saw no mention of epic essence. Rather, do you plan on doing epic stuff for MoI? If so, please tell me it won't be the abysmal 1/10 levels.

EDIT: Would you consider having the flight speed as well as maneuverability increase on Gorget of the Wyrm? Also, are all these abilities (Su)? Or are some (Ex)?

EDIT EDIT: Actually, I was hoping to do something like what Seerow did. Strangely, I almost always agree with Seerow, perhaps because CT is one of the best games of all time.

I do, however, disagree with the do-away-with-chakra-bind-slots idea. Casters have their spell levels and initiators have their maneuver levels. Veilweavers have their chakra bind levels. So *if* new and cool and, perhaps most importantly, progressively more powerful powers became available with higher level chakra binds, so to speak, I'd be all for it. My current concern (and this seems to be the case, to some extent) is that the power level is all over the place. Magic of Incarnum has the same flaw: some *awesome* abilities early on, some absolutely underwhelming abilities later on. Of course there's no easy fix for this, only careful scrutinizing and comparing.

Or, if you take Seerow's advice, I guess you could key everything off of invested essence, which scales with level.
    Last edited by danzibr; 2014-01-21 at 07:32 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to spend a little time on normalization of the Veils to make the binds a little less "Magic of Incarnum" and a little more "logical progression". That being said there are going to be some binds that have base abilities which seem a little bit better than others, but the goal is to ensure that you have all the resources to make a well-rounded character. Scaling skill bonuses probably aren't quite as cool as defensive or offensive options, but they're necessary and important to a lot of campaigns.

I think the base Essence system scales well as is, so I probably won't make any changes to it unless there's a really solid reason to.

The class itself probably won't see any more major changes for at least the next week or so to give players time to get some solid playtesting in without everything changing overnight on them, but watch for small adjustments: Gorget of the Wyrm's flight will scale better based on Essence investment, and I'll try to make every ability share the scaling nature of the system. "Always on" abilities like Stare of the Ghaele will have use activation/deactivation triggers built into them so you don't send every villager you encounter running in terror because you wanted a cool debuff that day.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

Maybe I missed this but... Well, this class seems to be an amazing generalist, in most aspects. I think this has been noted, but while there are ways to boost accuracy for ranged attacks, there doesn't seem to be much to add to melee damage. And there are definitely things that seem to add options to boost damage, but nothing to boost to hit.

That said, this seems like a really cool class to play. I look forward to seeing the others.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by genericwit View Post
    Maybe I missed this but... Well, this class seems to be an amazing generalist, in most aspects. I think this has been noted, but while there are ways to boost accuracy for ranged attacks, there doesn't seem to be much to add to melee damage. And there are definitely things that seem to add options to boost damage, but nothing to boost to hit.

That said, this seems like a really cool class to play. I look forward to seeing the others.
    Currently I'm only making very minor "ease of use" changes to Veils, either to bring them more in line with the expectations of the subsystem, or to repair obvious issues. The class is going to spend at least the next week largely unmodified to allow a couple ongoing playtests to complete and get me their feedback.
    Which means this would be an excellent time to take the class for a spin and see what you think!
    Last edited by Ssalarn; 2014-01-22 at 12:47 AM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Changelog:

Ditchdigger's Armlets changed to deal bludgeoning damage

Polar Snowshoes damage reduced to d4's

Gorget of the Wyrm's fly speed ability changed to scale for both speed and maneuverability.

Standard action "on/off switch" added to Stare of the Ghaele to limit frightened-peasant syndrome.

The word "magic" has been removed from Hand Cannon's attack description to re-emphasize that the point for including damage types in a spell effect is that they should be impacted by appropriate DR (see FAQs and discussions on abilities like the Bardic Weird Words on Paizo forums for relevant info).

Shape Veil clarified to indicate that it does not allow a veilweaving class to exceed their normal number of Veils per day.

Requirements for Enhanced Veil Capacity raised to 7th level.
    Last edited by Ssalarn; 2014-01-22 at 12:17 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Why specifically does Shape Veil not allow you to shape above your max number of veils? It means that characters that multiclass into an Incarna class after taking the feat get shafted, while letting those that only get veilweaving through through feats get extra bonuses. Taking levels should not be an inferior option to taking a single feat. Might I suggest limiting it to only one veil at time from Shape Veil, no matter how many times you take it?
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Why specifically does Shape Veil not allow you to shape above your max number of veils? It means that characters that multiclass into an Incarna class after taking the feat get shafted, while letting those that only get veilweaving through through feats get extra bonuses. Taking levels should not be an inferior option to taking a single feat. Might I suggest limiting it to only one veil at time from Shape Veil, no matter how many times you take it?
    If someone wants to spend all of their feats to get one less Veil than a true veilweaver, and have no Essence to spend on those Veils, they totally can. That doesn't mean that a veilweaver who has an Essence pool being able to dip into another classes veils is an inferior option. Both sides will get varying effects; veilweavers get versatility and access to options they otherwise wouldn't have, non-veilweavers get to dip a toe into the subsystem without committing to it. If anything, I think the veilweaving classes will still be getting more out of this feat than non-veilweavers.

25. - Top - End - #85

@Ssalarn

So do you work for DSP and/or did you create the rewrite? Or are you just an enthusiast?

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    @Ssalarn

So do you work for DSP and/or did you create the rewrite? Or are you just an enthusiast?
    I am the lead designer on the project, and the one who created the new classes, Veils, design direction, rewrite, etc.

27. - Top - End - #87

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    @Ssalarn

I am the lead designer on the project, and the one who created the new classes, Veils, design direction, rewrite, etc.
    I absolutely do not mean to be rude, but based on the answer provided, I still don't know the answer to Person_Man's question.
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

I absolutely do not mean to be rude, but based on the answer provided, I still don't know the answer to Person_Man's question.
    Sorry! Yes, I am working for Dreamscarred on this project, and yes, I created the rewrite.
    Last edited by Ssalarn; 2014-01-22 at 07:30 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

As much as I don't like Paizo or Pathfinder I do like what DSP have done with Psionics within the confides of the system.

I might try this out, I've always loved Incarnum...
    [/opinion]... Usually.

Weapon Skills (Rough Draft 1)
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-Weapon-Skills

Coming soon! Some 8 Bit Sub-Classes!
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ings)-(WIP!!!)

30. - Top - End - #90
    Spamalot in the Playground

This is (or will be) a full-blown DSP product. Both Jeremy and Andreas have made announcements about this playtest through various channels.

I'm not a spokesman for the company by any means, but I have seen the announcements firsthand (which is why I made this thread to begin with.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)