New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default cutting the cord

so..i went and told the cable company to pound sand today since they are just getting too $$$ to keep

can anyone recommend for/against Roku or another service before I plunk any money into it?

and how do they work? do I need to have a digital antenna to use em?
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: cutting the cord

First, you need Internet access. Satellite-based Internet access won't work, since it usually has a data limit attached. Dial-up/DSL, if you can get it, probably isn't fast enough to stream video. Consequently, this may very well mean buying Internet service from the cable company, and if your experience is anything like mine, they're going to require you to buy cable and phone along with that.

Next, Roku isn't exactly a service. They sell tiny computers which plug into your TV and use a WiFi network to stream video to the TV, though you do need to register the device with Roku. To make full use of it, you'll need to subscribe to a streaming service like Hulu or Netflix. They usually cost around ~$10 per month. (On this note, I don't recommend Amazon's streaming service.)

I've never had any trouble with my Roku. Hulu focuses more on television shows, while Netflix has a better selection of movies.
    Last edited by Grinner; 2015-07-17 at 02:55 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

You will need an internet service provider, yes. I have high speed internet through a cable company, but they did not require me to get a package, I do not have cable or a landline. I use Hulu and Netflix exclusively and stream them without a Roku through my Playstation 3. It does not require the purchase of Playstation live to use, so it's been an affordable option for me. This service is also available through Xbox 360 or Xbone, but requires a subscription to Xbox Live. HTH. Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

If you use Android or Chrome, a Chromecast is really cool since you can stream video or music straight from a laptop or phone just by connecting to the WiFi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

yeah..kept the internet..just dropped the cable

so what is the difference between the various roku boxes?
    saw 3 different boxes and the stick at wallyworld last night......
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

full size avatar

6. - Top - End - #6
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

If you have an Amazon Prime account, the Fire Stick is a pretty good option. It's portable (so we use it upstairs usually, but it's easy to haul downstairs), and pretty robust. It's aimed at getting you to use a lot of Amazon Prime services, but my wife more or less lives on Netflix, and has little trouble with it.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

and do you need to subscribe to Netflix or is that included with prime since I am on a 30 day trial with prime atm and need to decide to keep or not
    was leaning more toward Hulu than Netflix as its tv shows more than movies I would be streaming
    Last edited by otakuryoga; 2015-07-20 at 08:09 PM.

full size avatar

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    and do you need to subscribe to Netflix or is that included with prime since I am on a 30 day trial with prime atm and need to decide to keep or not
    was leaning more toward Hulu than Netflix as its tv shows more than movies I would be streaming
    You do need to subscribe to Hulu and/or Netflix separately.

Amazon Prime includes its own streaming service, but it's not recommendable.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    You do need to subscribe to Hulu and/or Netflix separately.

Amazon Prime includes its own streaming service, but it's not recommendable.
    Prime's not horrible, but a lot of it is to drive you to paid services. We use it a lot to rent movies.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Prime's not horrible, but a lot of it is to drive you to paid services. We use it a lot to rent movies.
    that's pretty much what I thought

full size avatar

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Just a note on Hulu, if you have Chromecast (or just a laptop/media PC you can hook directly up to the TV), you don't need to subscribe to it. The benefits Hulu Plus gives are roughly:

1) Certain shows may be Hulu Plus only. This is heavily in the minority though, or at least it was a few years ago when I made the leap.
    2) Shorter commercial breaks.
    3) Ability to use Hulu on mobile devices. This is the reason I have it, since it allows me to stream when I'm away from home.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

So, if we have an Android tablet (it's a wi-fi only Samsung) and we buy the Chromecast plug-in for our TV (which is not a smart TV although it is an HD set), will it show anything from any app on our TV just like it appears on the tablet screen, including sound? Or does it only work with certain apps?

I ask because we usually stream stuff through our PS3 (we also have cable, because sports), but Fox Sports bought a package of NWSL games and stuck most of them on their Fox Sports Go app rather than on a Fox Sports TV channel, and Fox Sports Go does not want to stream on a PS3 unless I've missed something (no Fox Sports Go app in the PlayStation store, and the PS3 web browser doesn't work well enough to watch them that way). NWSL games appear on YouTube when they're not Fox Sports games, which works fine on the PS3 using the You Tube app, and we'd like to continue watching women's soccer on the tv SOMEHOW rather than with everyone gathered around a tiny tablet screen. If we got the Chromecast plug-in, would we be able to watch these games on our TV again?

(Side rant: the last NWSL game I watched on Fox Sports Go was in my home market - Portland Thorns vs Seattle Reign. This game sold out a 20,000+ person stadium, and the only way to watch the sold-out game at home IN THE HOME MARKET was with this stupid app that hung up multiple times during the game, causing me to miss big chunks of the game. It wasn't on TV anywhere, no matter what ridiculous sports cable package you had, let alone on a local broadcast channel, despite being a sold-out rivalry game.)