New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: What if we could swap sexes at will?

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Huh? I'd think nipples are generally if not universally a erogenous zone. The discussion was more concerned with the breast rest(!) of the breast area, I think. (Obviously, tell me if I'm wrong)
    Well, my point was, if your nipples are an erogenous zone then the surrounding area should, as a consequence, also be susceptible to stimulation. Like, female breasts have the nerves more split up (so as to be more responsive to stimulation in a larger area) and they're also more sensitive due to hormones, but the same should work on basically all men as well, just not quite as well. I expect most men haven't had the breast aside from the nipple stimulated by a partner though, so they would be unaware of this.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2014-01-23 at 09:57 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

I like how this has turned rapidly into a boobies appreciation thread.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

3. - Top - End - #63

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Proud Tortoise View Post
    And especially good for anyone who is genderfluid.

)(-EY BLU-E BOY
    CATC)(
    *throws 2x3dent*
    Me, I'm more wondering whether the necessary changes to the universe would preclude genderfluid or intersexed people from existing as it's sorta Binary World as presented in the OP. Or at least as I understood it.

Out of Cheese Error, please reset universe.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Fixed an issue in there for you
    I read it as changing both simultaneously from his wording myself.

It really wouldn't change much biologically if you just switched chromosomes, though. Once the base structure is there, it's there.

And I presume androgyne and 'no sex' would be the same, myself, but who knows?

And Socratov, I hate to say this, but you'd be disappointed. If your breast area isn't an erogenous zone now, it wouldn't be when you switched; it's still just your skin and you still lack the inclination to consider it a special area if it's not already.
    It couldn't just be changing chromosomes anyway, since you also have to change labia to scrotums or vice versa, add or subtract fallopian tubes/uterii/vesicular glands/prostates, all that other messy tubing for another set of messy tubing.

Androgyne has never seemed to me to be synonymous with neuter quite to that extreme level of having no sex characteristics. Usually seems to mean a blend.

From what I'm understanding of the change, it would be, based upon the OP, that, say when a cis man changes into a woman, he's getting a cis woman's body and a cis woman's gender identity and becomes a she for all intents and purposes. So having all of those nerve endings reconfigured would seem to be part of the package. Otherwise the entire scenario fails because one wouldn't have the nerve endings to go along with the ****oris/penis or the gametes and ability to produce/store said gametes.

Hmm. Depending upon whether it's a change or if the gametes get stored in L Space, I suppose it might help eliminate the discrepancy between male and female when it comes to gamete production/storage/aging.

Edit: Though this whole "No, if you "started out" as a MAAB person, you'll never have sensitive breasts" discussion seems like it's far too dependent upon the limited means of bodily reconstruction available currently to us in real life for transitioning.

This is magical sex and gender changing, why on earth would it be limited in such a curiously specific way?

I mean, for one thing, it's not said that sex and gender changing are only introduced after puberty or after sexual maturity, so even if you're thinking that nerves are set at those points...

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    Would we still need gender identities? I don't think so. We would be one species.

But, and here is a question for you. Would this new species have a new case of dysphoria? The people who wish that they could not change at all? To remain one gender, all the time?
    WAT

So far I haven't seen anything about the change being outside of their control, so I'd presume that particular possibility would be a non-issue as the hypothetical scenario stands.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2014-01-23 at 10:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    Naked boobies:

Spoiler
    Show

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

I know I'd become female for long enough to have kids, so I can fulfill my dream of becoming a bitter, man-hating single mother.

After that, eh, it depends. The less exaggerated the change is, the less reason there is to change forms. By which I mean: if my bone structure, height, weight and musculature are going to change closer towards the average woman each time, I'd probably stay as a male expect for those occasions where I feel like dressing in pretty clothes. If my height, weight and muscles stay largely the same between forms, I'd probably stick to male for the most time to avoid periods.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Really, it's one of those cultural differences that arise from considering women a different race or a subspecies; if you stop to think about it, it's saying that all women have a different sense of touch than all men. Which is vaguely true in the skin thickness/sensitivity/hormone sense, but not enough that they have sensations the menfolk can barely contemplate or fathom.

An alternate interpretation is that more men have erogenous boobs than they are given credit for though. XD
    Hey now, I wasn't suggesting a completely different sense of touch. merely different distributions of sensitivity.
    (besides, I'm of the opinion that everyone probably perceives things slightly differently doesn't make them a different species )
    As for sensations that men can barely fathom... hrm. Something about densities of nerve endings in some areas makes me wonder. but ahh well, that's a tangential discussion entirely

More humorously, we'd all be Wyfweres! A race of women who assume the Andro– or "war form" when angered, and are probably vulnerable to silver. Or chocolate. Or diamonds. Or whatever you want to bribe/calm is down with
    That... that sounds like a cool world. I would like this world I think.
    Also, that is a point. appearing as male would probably be considered a subtle form of aggression

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    Hmm. It is hard to say for certain. After all, the entire society would have been built up around that one fact that we can be whatever we want. Who are we to say what the norm would be? And it could even come down t the ratio of men to women would be the same.

It's hard to say when we can't choose but to view this from the outside with eyes trained by our experiences and prejudices.
    I dont mean to be dark and cynical but human society seems to build itself around restricting choice and freedoms quite alot. I can easily see sexism not being a thing, but sadly I think there would be some kind of exclusionary structure in its place. maybe thats just me being a pessimist

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    While I guess it makes sense I'd assume Socratov's (male) mind set would just enjoy the feeling of shapely, squishy, warm breasts in his hand, no matter how his breasts might feel (unless he in fact has a sensible area there)
    Though, couldn't you make the argument that proper fondling would be kind of like a massage? Well, there aren't really prominent muscles in breasts, so I guess that's kind of a moot point as well. Maybe some women just enjoy it because it is a (kind of weird) way for their SO to admire their bodies. Or it really is mostly a male fantasy and I'm just trying to justify male's weird interests
    Oh come on, breasts are great! Its not just guys that think this! Although my girlfriend insists on ruining it for me by pointing out that they are impractical and hindering at times *shakes fist* so unfair forcing me to deal with reality
    Mindset might well be thoroughly different. and I'd imagine if he'd spent his whole life having breasts the fascination might well have worn off.

Well I'd be quite happy being female in this magical world, or I suppose alternatively if such was attainable. no gender, being free from all the reproduction hormones and such things in day to day life sounds rather nice although I'd probably alternate with female. That said, I'd probably definitely pull the dodging periods trick that has been mentioned a few times. I have no desire to find out how bad it is.

As for erogenous zones, damned if I know. I seem to be ticklish pretty much everywhere. much to my girlfriends amusement, not so much to mine. (How am I supposed to be a tall grumpy late-teen if you make me devolve into giggling.)

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Edit: Though this whole "No, if you "started out" as a MAAB person, you'll never have sensitive breasts" discussion seems like it's far too dependent upon the limited means of bodily reconstruction available currently to us in real life for transitioning.
    I can say with absolute certainty it's not necessarily true for everyone
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    Exactly. It's no secret that men think that breasts have this magical power of enslaving (nearly) any heterosexual male. Call me weird, but yeah, they are kind of mesmerising to me...
    You know, I've never really understood this. I mean they're very nice, don't get me wrong, but not exactly a brain-shut-off switch, and I've always been faintly insulted by the suggestion that they should be for me. I'm not quite that pathetic, thanks. Maybe that's just me though

On topic, at first I thought having two wardrobes would be a pain. But on the other hand, I live in the midwest, where a person already needs two wardrobes to deal with the bit where it's Siberia for three months of the year, and a greenhouse over the summer.

This suggests an obvious solution: spend summers female. Not only would that allow me to spend some time in a body with a decent set of hips instead of the disappointingly flat set I've got, but I'd look good in dresses. Spending the summer lounging around in sundresses, sunglasses and one of those floppy sunhats sounds lovely. Winters though? Yeah, I like being large and having facial hair then. Plus I don't want to replace my carefully curated selection of winter coats.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Breasts are nice, breasts do not switch your brain off. I suspect that socratov was being tongue in cheek though do feel free to correct me.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    A status thing? I'm so well-trained I can be female and still be physically strong. Also, there are other advantages to being female - living longer, for instance.
    Yeah. I figure society would be a bunch of lesbian werewolves* because the smaller, social form of the creature requires fewer calories to sustain and can apparently maintain fitness through extended running with kilogram-weights.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    I think this really begs the question of do we need gender identities as it stands?
    It seems that gender identity is an emergent property of brain chemistry, not of socialization. The symptoms of "male" or "female" can be socially conditioned, but the existence of "male" or "female" are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    This might be about many males simply not having experience with someone playing with their nipples/breasts or trying it themselves.
    Basically. That's my point; if they are not already fun spots, they won't be fun just because. You may still enjoy having breasts in your hands, but then, a guy can get that through obesity too, which is basically what would be happening here.
    But yes. My end reversal was "or maybe guys just don't try hard enough" etc.

I believe a large part of that is cultural too; western culture seems to focus on womens' cleavage in particular quite a bit, to the exclusion of other areas considered erotic in many other cultures (the neck in Japan, for instance).
    Depends on the western culture in question, really. And, I'm not familiar with what you're speaking of? Bust maybe, but I can't think of any

Oh. Nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    Well, yeah. "What if guys could become hot chicks?" Was sort of the premise, wasn't it?

Me, I'm more wondering whether the necessary changes to the universe would preclude genderfluid or intersexed people from existing as it's sorta Binary World as presented in the OP. Or at least as I understood it.
    If presented that way, maybe. It's possible that the necessary internal tensions for gender fluid to arise as a concept wouldn't happen for the same reason gender fluid women tend to be dismissed as normal women who sometimes dress with less frills?

Alternately, gender fluidity would be the norm as you say, and us weird static gender folks would be weird.

Androgyne has never seemed to me to be synonymous with neuter quite to that extreme level of having no sex characteristics. Usually seems to mean a blend.
    Sex parts, not characteristics. An androgyne would by definition have both characteristics, but as a sex separate from true hermaphrodite would probably have neither instead of both as far as strictly gonads went.

From what I'm understanding of the change, it would be, based upon the OP, that, say when a cis man changes into a woman, he's getting a cis woman's body and a cis woman's gender identity and becomes a she for all intents and purposes. So having all of those nerve endings reconfigured would seem to be part of the package. Otherwise the entire scenario fails because one wouldn't have the nerve endings to go along with the ****oris/penis or the gametes and ability to produce/store said gametes.
    Yes, but there is not sufficient difference between default male and female nervous tissue, even with hormonal differences, to suddenly make one's nipples a sexy place when they weren't before. As an analogue, if you're normally a woman, and being touched on the biceps does not turn you on, it won't start to just because you turn male.

This is magical sex and gender changing, why on earth would it be limited in such a curiously specific way?
    You're misreading entirely. You're still assuming boobs equals erogenous on women for no raisin.

Naked boobies:

Spoiler
    Show
    The right one is bigger, but the left has a less pleasing shape despite being more perky.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    I don't think it's true for anyone, really. I just think modern media has overplayed the value such that it's considered objective rather then subjective.

I'm quickly running out of ways to allude to what I meant without an infraction :s

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    You know, I've never really understood this. I mean they're very nice, don't get me wrong, but not exactly a brain-shut-off switch, and I've always been faintly insulted by the suggestion that they should be for me. I'm not quite that pathetic, thanks. Maybe that's just me though
    Word.

On topic, at first I thought having two wardrobes would be a pain. But on the other hand, I live in the midwest, where a person already needs two wardrobes to deal with the bit where it's Siberia for three months of the year, and a greenhouse over the summer.

This suggests an obvious solution: spend summers female. Not only would that allow me to spend some time in a body with a decent set of hips instead of the disappointingly flat set I've got, but I'd look good in dresses. Spending the summer lounging around in sundresses, sunglasses and one of those floppy sunhats sounds lovely. Winters though? Yeah, I like being large and having facial hair then. Plus I don't want to replace my carefully curated selection of winter coats.
    Yeah. I love sundresses~

Man. Could you imagine? You square off with the Sheila across the bar, trading angry looks over comments about [SPORTS TEAM] or something, and then she slams a shot and stalks over to you, packing on a few kilos, a foot of width, and a neck beard flaring like a lizard's frills as herhis anger mounts?

It's like a werewolf game. It's bloody hilarious!

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

You're misreading entirely. You're still assuming boobs equals erogenous on women for no raisin.
    Surely not no reason. Breasts are erogenous in many women (70% according to this completely unscientific study).

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

So, just to be clear here, dried grapes increase nipple sensitivity?

The right one is bigger, but the left has a less pleasing shape despite being more perky.
    I've always maintained it's a matter of personality, not size.

Word.
    Although, just to clear, I'm still reasonably pathetic.

Yeah. I love sundresses~
    They've always seemed the ideal garment for hot weather to me; really that they're also startlingly attractive is just a bonus. Tragically I lack the proper gender, and the proper figure, for them to work on me.

Man. Could you imagine? You square off with the Sheila across the bar, trading angry looks over comments about [SPORTS TEAM] or something, and then she slams a shot and stalks over to you, packing on a few kilos, a foot of width, and a neck beard flaring like a lizard's frills as herhis anger mounts?

It's like a werewolf game. It's bloody hilarious!
    This would really complicate some things though. I mean it's perfectly acceptable for dudes to hit each other as a sign of affection, which generally isn't how it's interpreted across gender lines. You'd need an entirely different set of responses for each person based on how they were appearing today.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Would this be like a Ranma 1/2 style change? Poof - I'm suddenly 6 inches shorter and 70 pounds lighter? I can see that being useful when I'm trying to be stealthy. I can't imagine my wife would be much of a fan though.

Or would we be limited by conservation of mass? If so, I'd just morph into a 6'-4", 220 pound lady with slightly redistributed body fat and a bad haircut (business cut ≠ pixie cut). I can't see many advantages to that. Aside from the requisite 'trying out' experience of jumping on trampolines, I'd probably keep myself locked in as my socially more advantageous 'tall white male' body type.
    Homebrew World: Daera - high fantasy setting on a world without humans
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    If the world was a Hollywood movie, Overdrive would be the protagonist.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Breasts are a bit of a toss up for me if it's Narbonic rather than Ranma 1/2. Some of my female family is pretty flat, though not all, so, who knows. I'd be pretty curvy as a woman, with a generous tush, I am fairly certain at least, given that my body is already pretty pair shaped for a genetic male. I'd be short in all likelihood, given I am short for a male.
    Anyhow, I'd give a lot to find out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

15. - Top - End - #75
    Banned

Surely not no reason. Breasts are erogenous in many women (70% according to this completely unscientific study).
    You're making an incomplete statement that gives an artificial sense in vacuum. Yes, nipples can be erogenous. That's not a Female thing at all. It's a nipple thing. Because women are told they are supposed to like it and men are discouraged from even recognizing that they have nipples, however, you get a large bias in Assumption.

The moral is not that women don't like it so much as; try it now as a male, you'll get a pretty solid indicator of whether you'd like it, but don't expect magic change of something not actually sexually dimorphic.

So, just to be clear here, dried grapes increase nipple sensitivity?
    By degrees! The juice sucked out of a grape, leaving it dry, can be fermented and used to increase erogenous zones and reduce inhibition

This would really complicate some things though. I mean it's perfectly acceptable for dudes to hit each other as a sign of affection, which generally isn't how it's interpreted across gender lines. You'd need an entirely different set of responses for each person based on how they were appearing today.
    Yeah, just like if one werewolf is human form or puppy dog form and the other goes full on krinos war form and punts the first? That's a party foul.

werewolves.

Quote Originally Posted by OverdrivePrime View Post
    Would this be like a Ranma 1/2 style change? Poof - I'm suddenly 6 inches shorter and 70 pounds lighter? I can see that being useful when I'm trying to be stealthy. I can't imagine my wife would be much of a fan though.

Or would we be limited by conservation of mass? If so, I'd just morph into a 6'-4", 220 pound lady with slightly redistributed body fat and a bad haircut (business cut ≠ pixie cut). I can't see many advantages to that. Aside from the requisite 'trying out' experience of jumping on trampolines, I'd probably keep myself locked in as my socially more advantageous 'tall white male' body type.
    I'm assuming "exact same history as if you were biologically the other sex", sort of like there are two bodies with nigh-identical genetics (same parents and history, etc.) but one mind, that switches between them.

So if you're healthy, athletic, and a mixed martial artist your chick body would be a healthy athletic mixed martial artist chick body, but could still have potentially massive discrepancies because of your family traits.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

You're making an incomplete statement that gives an artificial sense in vacuum. Yes, nipples can be erogenous. That's not a Female thing at all. It's a nipple thing. Because women are told they are supposed to like it and men are discouraged from even recognizing that they have nipples, however, you get a large bias in Assumption.

The moral is not that women don't like it so much as; try it now as a male, you'll get a pretty solid indicator of whether you'd like it, but don't expect magic change of something not actually sexually dimorphic.
    That's not what you said though. But yes, I agree with Arnold - my nipples are very sensitive. You may not want to know that, but now you do.

― Tim Fargo

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alad View Post
    Breasts are nice, breasts do not switch your brain off. I suspect that socratov was being tongue in cheek though do feel free to correct me.
    Well, it was a bit of hyperbole, just a bit though
    That's not what you said though. But yes, I agree with Arnold - my nipples are very sensitive. You may not want to know that, but now you do.
    I always find my hair (as in the stuff on my head) erogenous. Going to the barber is a very relaxing experience for me... Not that you needed to know, but now you do
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

18. - Top - End - #78
    Banned

Well, it was a bit of hyperbole, just a bit though

I always find my hair (as in the stuff on my head) erogenous. Going to the barber is a very relaxing experience for me... Not that you needed to know, but now you do
    Oh goodness yes.

And Socratov, I hate to say this, but you'd be disappointed. If your breast area isn't an erogenous zone now, it wouldn't be when you switched; it's still just your skin and you still lack the inclination to consider it a special area if it's not already.
    An alternate interpretation is that more men have erogenous boobs than they are given credit for though.
    Yes, but there is not sufficient difference between default male and female nervous tissue, even with hormonal differences, to suddenly make one's nipples a sexy place when they weren't before. As an analogue, if you're normally a woman, and being touched on the biceps does not turn you on, it won't start to just because you turn male.
    [...]
    [...]

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I wonder how this would work with straight couples, assuming people still adhered to a more rigid binary and didn't really swap their sex a whole lot. Girlfriend turns in to a man for a few days. Boyfriend can't stand dating girlfriend while they are a man, because they don't like men. ?????

Also, how would birth certificates work, would sex at birth, which I assume would still be the primary sex, even be notified? If you were swapped, would you revert to your SAB when you die?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    I wonder how this would work with straight couples, assuming people still adhered to a more rigid binary and didn't really swap their sex a whole lot. Girlfriend turns in to a man for a few days. Boyfriend can't stand dating girlfriend while they are a man, because they don't like men. ?????
    Sounds like a golden opportunity to learn some new skills.

The real benefit of being able to switch though is that a substantial fraction of people would have sexual experience with both sets of equipment, which means they have personal knowledge of what works. Sex just got so much better for everybody.

Also, how would birth certificates work, would sex at birth, which I assume would still be the primary sex, even be notified? If you were swapped, would you revert to your SAB when you die?
    I'd figure you'd settle on a 'primary' sex later in life, assuming a person really even bothered to do that.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Sounds like a golden opportunity to learn some new skills.

The real benefit of being able to switch though is that a substantial fraction of people would have sexual experience with both sets of equipment, which means they have personal knowledge of what works. Sex just got so much better for everybody.
    This assumes people would even want to bother with messing around with a swapped SO. And a fair portion of people probably would, but a fair portion still probably wouldn't either. *shrug* I know were I able to turn in to a woman and have sex, I'd almost definitely do it as a lesbian, and not seek out a man.

I'd figure you'd settle on a 'primary' sex later in life, assuming a person really even bothered to do that.
    I suppose so, but most people are pretty happy with their birth sex. Given the ability randomly showed up in today's society, I can't see many people swapping other than to try sex once or twice and to avoid menstruation.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Banned

I dunno, I see a lot of "It works for me, you're just weird". I mean, lesbians and gay men have bad sex, too..

Probably cultural. A neat coming of age ceremony, though don/t you think?

Likely a simple sabbatical. I don't see how it would be much different from not wanting to be with her during her period - EVERYONE can do this, so no one is going to be making ay assumptions about this guy and the "guy" who is usually his girlfriend.

I would normally say it wouldn't be relevant, but then I thought about it. Likely, you wouldn't be able to fully switch until after puberty. You'd be born one sex and likely come to identify with it, huh?

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Likely a simple sabbatical. I don't see how it would be much different from not wanting to be with her during her period - EVERYONE can do this, so no one is going to be making ay assumptions about this guy and the "guy" who is usually his girlfriend.
    I feel like I may very well be misinterpreting your post but ... A male may not want to have sex his female SO while she in on her period, but they're still probably going to go on dates and kiss. If the female SO goes male to avoid her period, the male is presumably not going to want to do even those. Given the primary male is rigidly straight.

A sabbatical probably makes the most sense.

I would normally say it wouldn't be relevant, but then I thought about it. Likely, you wouldn't be able to fully switch until after puberty. You'd be born one sex and likely come to identify with it, huh?
    Hell if I know, it's why I was asking! I think that makes sense though. Not nearly as much differences between the two sexes pre-puberty anyway.
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2014-01-23 at 04:15 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

This assumes people would even want to bother with messing around with a swapped SO. And a fair portion of people probably would, but a fair portion still probably wouldn't either. *shrug* I know were I able to turn in to a woman and have sex, I'd almost definitely do it as a lesbian, and not seek out a man.
    I'd figure a substantial number of people would come around to falling in love/having sex with people they were attracted to, rather than specific genders.

]
    I suppose so, but most people are pretty happy with their birth sex. Given the ability randomly showed up in today's society, I can't see many people swapping other than to try sex once or twice and to avoid menstruation.
    I'm pretty happy with being a guy, it works out for me quite well. Given an easy and reversible way to shift however, I could see a lot of appeal to spending some substantial time as a woman. I don't mean this in the sense of spending hours checking myself out in the mirror, but as a legitimate curiosity.
    I dunno, I see a lot of "It works for me, you're just weird". I mean, lesbians and gay men have bad sex, too..
    This is true. Last I looked at any attempt to quantify such things however, it suggested homosexual people generally had better sex than straight people.

Probably cultural. A neat coming of age ceremony, though don/t you think?
    If a person picked a primary sex at all. I'm not really sure why somebody wouldn't be whatever they felt like, whenever they felt like it. One or the other might dominate, but that's a bit different from deciding 'I'll spend most of my time as __.'

Now that is plausible.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    Yep. Barely any sensitivity before starting HRT and now... well. >.>
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'd probably just be whichever was most advantageous to me at the time. I suppose I'd end up auditioning as a male fairly often, since I frequently find myself feeling annoyed that the roles I'd most want are the male roles, and that'd give me a better chance at them.

Other than that, it would depend a bit on how much changed. I would rather be taller, so if being male would make me as tall as the men in my family, I might go for it most of the time (6'1" or so instead of 5'2"? I'd take that). I hate having to do anything more with my appearance than possibly run a brush through my hair in the morning, though, and also would not want facial hair, so that might be too annoying to keep up. Plus, then I would have to purchase new clothing and boots, and I hate doing that. Still, an extra foot of height for somebody who's always been annoyed at being short is not inconsiderable.

Eh. Whatever offers me an advantage at the time is how I think it would go down. I'm asexual and don't really give much of a damn about my gender, so considerations of gender or romance really wouldn't enter into it. I'm content being female, and I expect I'd be equally content being male.

I've no idea how society or people in general would change if that were to happen.

27. - Top - End - #87

NecromancerGuy

Why does that strike you as likely?

Now that is plausible.
    Why?

You've never heard of all that jazz about homosexuals being better at giving oral sex? I mean, sure, one could question the factual basis of it without some actual figures to back it up...
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2014-01-23 at 05:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

They've always seemed the ideal garment for hot weather to me; really that they're also startlingly attractive is just a bonus. Tragically I lack the proper gender, and the proper figure, for them to work on me.
    That's probably how it'd be for me. Still typically a guy, but I'd use this hypothetical power to make summer more bearable. (And perhaps to avoid monkey suits occasionally)

The real deciding question in how society would be affected: How does the transformation work? Same body, different parts? Hypothetical what-if version of you? Could you modify one body (say by dyeing your hair) and not have it affect the other?
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am a 10/14/11/15/12/14 LG Clr 2

29. - Top - End - #89
    Bugbear in the Playground

If we could change sexes at will then I doubt there would be a separation between male and female clothing 38/

Exactly. It's no secret that men think that breasts have this magical power of enslaving (nearly) any heterosexual male. Call me weird, but yeah, they are kind of mesmerising to me...
    huh. I think breasts are pretty disgusting... tho not sure im a heterosexual male so

Depends on the society I guess...

I'd figure a substantial number of people would come around to falling in love/having sex with people they were attracted to, rather than specific genders.
    That would be nice 38|

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Thought so. The only other possibility was likely illicit substances.
    whos to say it aint both

Out of Cheese Error, please reset universe.
    YES 38D
    white text is the bestest you might want to look for it
    DeviantART

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    The real deciding question in how society would be affected: How does the transformation work? Same body, different parts? Hypothetical what-if version of you? Could you modify one body (say by dyeing your hair) and not have it affect the other?
    All I can say is that my hair had better carry over. I'd have awesome hair for a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Proud Tortoise View Post
    If we could change sexes at will then I doubt there would be a separation between male and female clothing 38/
    I rather doubt that. I'm simply built differently than most women, as are most men. We just tend to be narrower in the hips and wider in the shoulders. What's comfortable and looks good on me is very different than what's comfortable and looks good on most women. My Mom for instance remembers when blue jeans for women were cut exactly like they were for men, and she hated them.

huh. I think breasts are pretty disgusting... tho not sure im a heterosexual male so
    I'm sorry for you on this one. Breasts are awesome.

That would be nice 38|
    It would certainly take some adjusting. I have about zero romantic, and only slightly above zero sexual interest in men. On the other hand if any romantic partner could flip back and forth nearly at will, I'd either be asking them to give up an enormous amount of personal freedom, get even more used to living alone, or learn to go with the, ah, flow. People, being adaptable sorts, would probably learn to deal with it.

Now names though, that would be seriously complicated.