New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 44 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XII - Even Nerds Call Us Nerds

There is no contradiction, here.

If there's an entry linking flat-footed and climbing (and we know that there is), the only reason to dismiss that entry would be if the text and table were in conflict. They are not. Thus the entry in question simply clarifies the situation: climbing makes you flat-footed.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Szar_Lakol View Post
    There is no contradiction, here.

If there's an entry linking flat-footed and climbing (and we know that there is), the only reason to dismiss that entry would be if the text and table were in conflict. They are not. Thus the entry in question simply clarifies the situation: climbing makes you flat-footed.
    I don't think we are certain that Tarquin is climbing, though. He's just kind of...there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

If he's not climbing, then he's balancing on the rail, or a lip beyond it. Balancing also leaves him flat-footed.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Yeah, when he lets go to catch the arrows, he falls, then catches himself. He was doing something that he had to keep doing to avoid falling that required at least 1 hand. All the possibilities I'm aware of would stop him from catching two arrows using RAW infinite deflection: clinging leaves only one hand free; climbing and balancing (and possibly clinging as a subset of climbing) leave you flat-footed.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Yeah. As far as I can see, the only answer would be if he was allowed to instantaneously "drop" the side of the ship, grab both arrows, instantaneously drop *the arrows* and then make a (probably fairly difficult) reflex save to regrab the ship before plummeting.

Its not impossible that this is somehow doable. I mean, he *did* drop the arrows after snatching them and regrab the side of the ship, so its really only the instant drop of the side of the ship that needs to be explained.

But I don't see people lining up to provide explanations for how it would work.
    Last edited by Crusher; 2014-02-13 at 12:06 PM.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

6. - Top - End - #246

BardGuy

By RAW, dropping something is a Free Action, not an Immediate Action, so it can't be done on someone else's turn. However we slice it, we enter the realm of Homebrew.
    See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.

7. - Top - End - #247

MindFlayer

Well, the Gloves of Arrow Snaring say "even if he doesn't meet the prerequisites for it." So if we say that "not being flat-footed" is a prerequisite...

/I know, I know

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SavageWombat View Post
    Well, the Gloves of Arrow Snaring say "even if he doesn't meet the prerequisites for it." So if we say that "not being flat-footed" is a prerequisite...

/I know, I know
    Aren't they "once daily" use, though? We'd need a homebrewed version that can be used at-will.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

9. - Top - End - #249
    Barbarian in the Playground

What if he has the feat and the gloves? That way, X times per day he can ignore prerequisites, and other times he can follow the rules!

I do not actually support this interpretation.
    I Wanna Be the Guy Kid avatar by Ceika. Many thanks.

If I win, I get to be a king. If I lose, then I get to be a legend.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Aren't they "once daily" use, though? We'd need a homebrewed version that can be used at-will.

GW
    It's twice per day. Can he just switch out the gloves he is wearing for new ones and refresh his uses?

11. - Top - End - #251

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    It's twice per day. Can he just switch out the gloves he is wearing for new ones and refresh his uses?
    I think the problem was that the gloves say twice per day, but as the feat - and the feat says "once per round".

That's the reason for my preference for the gloves - because "twice per day" is in the description. But that clearly doesn't pass the RAW test, and some pointed out that magic gloves might be something that would be drawn.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/po...oyantSense.htm

Laurin calls it clairvoyance, but I'll assume she means the above?

13. - Top - End - #253

ElfWarriorGuy

Plus she created two more portals. One to send Tarquin (plus his army) back, and a second to summon in what I presume are soldiers of the Empire of Sweat. They certainly aren't Tarquin's flunkies. Have we seen those uniforms before?
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

They're presumably from the Empire of Sweat (Sweaters? But they're wearing armor...), since Laurin owns the valley now.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

15. - Top - End - #255

Laurin doesn't have the orange stone anymore

16. - Top - End - #256
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Tarquin didn't use the snatching feat while climbing, the hole point is that he had to "stop climbing" to catch those arrows.

We've seen the sweat soldiers here.
    but just as some things can be right and useless at the same time, can’t something be wrong...and priceless?

17. - Top - End - #257
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Tarquin didn't use the snatching feat while climbing, the hole point is that he had to "stop climbing" to catch those arrows.
    This is basically a recap, but if he wasn't climbing, he was clinging, which only leaves one hand free. Once he caught one arrow, he had no hands free. But he still caught the second arrow.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Colossus in the Playground

Wile-E-Coyote's Law of Cartoon Inertia - you can always let go of what's supporting you - and fall the moment you notice there's nothing to support you.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

19. - Top - End - #259
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

wink Re: Class and Level Geekery XII - Even Nerds Call Us Nerds

Which would be a house rule.
    Last edited by Kalmegil; 2014-02-16 at 08:25 AM.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmegil View Post
    Which would be a house rule.
    This rule of comedy has actually been stated in the comic as being in effect though.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0437.html

21. - Top - End - #261

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Wile-E-Coyote's Law of Cartoon Inertia - you can always let go of what's supporting you - and fall the moment you notice there's nothing to support you.
    I'm pretty sure that when falling is caused only by gravity, you do it only during your turn.

And something that causes you to lose your grip doesn't cause you to fall, it merely removes what's preventing gravity from causing you to fall.
    Last edited by warrl; 2014-02-16 at 07:21 PM.
    My blog: Alien America - amusing incidents and creative misinterpretations

22. - Top - End - #262
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

None of which explains how Tarquin would release his hold while the arrows are mid flight. Letting go might be a free action but I don't think it's an immediate action.

23. - Top - End - #263

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    None of which explains how Tarquin would release his hold while the arrows are mid flight. Letting go might be a free action but I don't think it's an immediate action.
    What if he habitually readies his action (while clinging to precarious objects) with the trigger "if someone shoots a projectile at me, release my handholds and catch the missiles?" That would interrupt Haley's action, wouldn't it?

It's probably written on his character notes somewhere.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

It probably is. Remember how, when he first set that up and his team all started throwing things at him just to watch him fall down cliffs? What larks.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

If you believe that you must give Tarquin Infinite Deflection + Snatch Arrows in order to explain this, why take it away just because it's not quite enough to explain that? Doesn't this discussion seem rather tangential to the original one?

26. - Top - End - #266
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

The idea is that in the first instance it the combo explained it by RAW. The second instance is not explainable by RAW which means that there is something homebrewish going on.
    We can assume that T doesn't have two different ways of catching arrows so we can drop the infinite deflection since we know there must be something else at work.

That's the logic as I understand it and I think the assumption in my second paragraph is a fair one.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    We can assume that T doesn't have two different ways of catching arrows
    What if giving him two ways of catching arrows is the only way to explain 925 by RAW? Wouldn't the thread feel compelled to do so?

(I'm not saying it is, but I am saying you could certainly come up with house rules to explain 936 alone.)
    Last edited by Toper; 2014-02-17 at 03:41 PM.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I can't speak to that. My understanding of the rules of the thread is that if something is shown not to be RAW then it's listed as such so I can't see two separate rules being listed but that's not my call to make.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

What if giving him two ways of catching arrows is the only way to explain 925 by RAW? Wouldn't the thread feel compelled to do so?

(I'm not saying it is, but I am saying you could certainly come up with house rules to explain 936 alone.)
    Are there two different RAW ways of catching arrows that, if he had them both, would explain either 925 or 936? I'm not aware of any.

The only way 925 happens with infinite deflection/snatch arrows is if he dropped the reins during the panel where Haley shoots. So far, I don't think anyone has proposed a RAW mechanism that explains what happens in 936, even one that requires him possessing two different abilities.

Also, I don't see any real house-rule that allows 936 that doesn't also allow 925 (assuming he doesn't drop the reins), because the house rule pretty much has to allow two-hand snatching while one hand is not free. I suppose the rule could be "while clinging," but I doubt anyone would seriously propose that.

Basically, if we determine we must house rule one incident of a particular power, I don't think we need to assume all the other incidents of that power were done via RAW. We can safely assume that the house rule covers all instances of that power.

Here, we seem to have a power that states "character can catch two arrows* even when his hands are not free" (*where two is the lower limit; I suppose it could be more). The other possibility is infinite deflection plus snatch arrows plus house rule lifting hands-free restriction or allowing immediate action drops.

I'm NOT saying we should add the rule I listed first to the character sheet, but I think at this point it's enough to take down infinite deflection/snatch arrows, because we have no in-comic means to actually determine which house rule is more likely.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ettin in the Playground

Official name for Tarquin's party: Vector Legion

I was so close.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)