New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dark Souls II: The Thread, AND the Game!

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos 51-50 View Post
    Morty has recently informed me that my armour needs some Poise.
    Beliving that any amount of Poise is better than Zero, I've slapped on the Gauntlets of Favour (Oh, yeah! Finally took out Smokey and the Bandit! Got the Bandit last, too!) for now.
    Smokey was the cop. It was Snowman and Bandit.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Smokey was the cop. It was Snowman and Bandit.
    Right, but Smokey's name fits Smough better. Pun damage wins over accuracy.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

3. - Top - End - #393
    Orc in the Playground

I wouldn't worry too much about poise, if you still want to look good. All the most weight efficient poise gear looks pretty stupid, like Gargoyle Helmet or Hollow Soldier Waist Cloth.

Gargoyle Helm, Knight Gauntlets and Hollow Soldier Waistcloth would give you 21 poise and leave you with about 7 weight left.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ettin in the Playground

Plus my Furysword and Heater Shield, that puts me at... half a unit under.

I'll check out what it looks like.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

5. - Top - End - #395
    Titan in the Playground

What rings are you using? Havel's ring (defeat Havel) gives you +50% load and Wolf's Ring (found in a "secret" area of the forest) gives you +40 poise no question asked.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    What rings are you using? Havel's ring (defeat Havel) gives you +50% load and Wolf's Ring (found in a "secret" area of the forest) gives you +40 poise no question asked.
    FaP and whatever, currently. Usually Steel Protection, but I'll switch that out for Rust or whatever if the situation calls for it
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Dammit. Since nowadays I actually manage to get myself summoned, for some reason, I tried helping some folks with the Iron Golem. We killed it through Jolly Cooperation once... but when I got summoned again I tumbled off the tower. And it would have only taken that one fight to become eligible for the Sunbros. I haven't managed to get summoned since.
    I hate the Iron Golem for precisely that reason. Without his arena, he'd be a pretty easy boss. He always seems to manage to punt me off at least once, no matter how careful I am to stay near the center of the arena.

Last time I fought him, I decided to do a good deed and summon another player instead of the NPC you can get. The fight starts, he goes running up, and immediately gets punted off the tower. I swear I heard a Looney-Tunes-esque "WAH WAH WAH WAAAAAAH" sound too.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I hate the Iron Golem for precisely that reason. Without his arena, he'd be a pretty easy boss. He always seems to manage to punt me off at least once, no matter how careful I am to stay near the center of the arena.

Last time I fought him, I decided to do a good deed and summon another player instead of the NPC you can get. The fight starts, he goes running up, and immediately gets punted off the tower. I swear I heard a Looney-Tunes-esque "WAH WAH WAH WAAAAAAH" sound too.
    Gotta get that Tarkus man. What a boss.
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Titan in the Playground

FaP and whatever, currently. Usually Steel Protection, but I'll switch that out for Rust or whatever if the situation calls for it
    The ring of steel protection is crap, the defense bonus is minimal and dodging is way better than tanking the hits (unless you go all the way with ultra-heavy armor and iron flesh). I suggest keeping your amor set as it is and pick the wolf ring, that puts you in 48 poise which means you can tank 2 katana/spear/straight sword hits or a great combustion without being staggered, if you can get at least 3 more points (eastern leggings have 6 poise and are reasonably light) you get to the magic breakpoint of not being staggered by heavy weapons 2hr1.
    Just call me Dusk

10. - Top - End - #400
    Orc in the Playground

If you can get your hands on the Wolf Ring(which you can and should), you could do something like this.

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?b=...AsMCwwLDAsMA==

If you don't want to farm the Hollow Thief Hood or don't like the look, just take the Thief Mask instead. I just put it in there because I'm in love with it. Don't judge me

11. - Top - End - #401
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Dark Souls II

I don't think it's a spoiler to talk about a boss that was in beta/playtest/network test footage, and I really just want to brag.

But I killed the Looking Glass Knight (Mirror Knight as he was previously known) on my first try with only the AI summon for help (who was less "help" and more... "Victim?" I guess I would call him a victim. He didn't contribute much.)

The area after him though runs so counter to my build I actually had to go use my soul vessel just to make it a passable encounter.

In short, the bosses of this game are giving me almost no trouble. The list of bosses that have killed me at all is at about three. While the everyday run-of-the-mill mooks have been slaying me left and right.

Also, in other news, has anyone checked out the Beyond the Bonfire site? Pretty interesting stuff as well as server information so you'll know when it's either broken or intentionally down because those are apparently the only two options for DSII servers...

EDIT: Oh and the whole reason I came here to post. Has anyone seen the effects of your messages being rated? So far the only thing I can see is that they heal you at the time of being rated. Only once or twice has this ever worked out in my favor though, and the amount healed is pretty insignificant. So I hope there's more to it that I'm missing.
    Last edited by Octopusapult; 2014-03-15 at 06:36 AM.
    Like RPGs? Like free stuff? Check out RPG-a-Month by Archfossil! Every month a new game and additional content and updates for the games already active.

RPG-a-Month for May : ACE - Assault, Control, Espionage

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I generally get done once or twice by the bosses while I learn their attack patterns. There's been one exception, and there were...extenuating circumstances, let's say.

Bizarrely, the first boss was dead easy on my first couple runs through him, but on my third run he suddenly went nuts on me and wiped the floor with me over and over again. I eventually gave up and went to smack my way through a different area instead.

Also, fire sword vs. fire boss is hilariously ineffective. I hit it once, said "I'm dead." and resigned myself to watching his attack pattern for the rest of that life.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ettin in the Playground

Looks like I'm going to have to tool around in the Forest of Doom that I've been avoiding.
    Sigh.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    So many awesome covenants to join, so many rewards. I think I'll ultimately settle on the Dragons or Blue Sentinels, but not until I've gotten all of them; in particular the Level 3 perk from the Pilgrims of Dark. The Great Resonant Soul hex is ridiculously powerful when fueled by souls, and an even stronger version is said to be obtainable as a covenant reward.

As far as message ratings go, I'm not sure if there's any effect other than the heals, but the best way to whore upvotes is to write something comical in a high traffic area where there's pausing/reveling/contemplation going on, like right after or before a boss, or at the far fire, so they're more likely to take the time to rate.

I just wish there was a way to downvote messages, and a covenant that exists to invade and punish those who write poorly rated ones; those they kill are prevented from writing messages and seeing messages (including developer ones via Guidance) for a time, besides the usual penalties, and messages they've already written that are rated at say -3 or worse are purged. They could be called 'The Silencers' or some ****, journeying between countless worlds in search of miscreants to STFU lol.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground

Speaking of Covenants...

Spoiler: Rats
    Show
    I got summoned by a rat covenant dude. I don't think I lost anything when he won. He sucker punched me, I BSed him, but then he got me with a good thwack.
    Spoiler
    Show

I really haven't done very much covenant work. I heard there are sunbros cove, so I might max that out.

Blue Sentinels is cool sounding, but I haven't gotten around to PvPing.

Surreal, what is the stat that affects spell uses? Attunement, right? I got an extra lightning spear around 15.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2014-03-15 at 04:10 PM.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, it's Attunement. You get bonus uses up to a certain maximum as you buff this stat, in addition to hit points, cast speed, attunement slot, curse resistance and Agility increments. It's pretty boss.

At 75 Attunement you get the max number of slots; 10. Cast speed increases until 80. HP scales up at 1 / level from 21 to 50, and 2 / level until 20.

I'm not entirely sure what the scaling is for additional casts, but as a hard and fast rule you can get max bonus casts up to either 10 or twice the number of base casts, whichever is lower.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ettin in the Playground

Does anyone know where you buy/acquire the white/orange soapstones in DSII?
    Last edited by TechnOkami; 2014-03-15 at 04:34 PM.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TechnOkami View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pike guy after your first encounter with The Pursuer gives you the White Sign Soapstone if you do his challenge.
    My Steam profile

19. - Top - End - #409
    Titan in the Playground

Well, the lightning has be handy.
    The orange one is in your start menu.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, the lightning has be handy.

The orange one is in your start menu.
    ...wait wat? I missed that.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, so I'm watching ENB's playthrough, and it appears there's multiple ways to get the Small White Sign Soapstone.
    Spoiler: Somewhere in Forest of Fallen Giants
    Show
    In the building with the Bonfire and Melentia in it, there is a door. The door is locked. It is also old and worn and you can break it down. As you explore the area, you'll find a variety of items, including the Soapstone.

Edit: wait, no, the other one is regular White Sign Soapstone.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2014-03-15 at 07:19 PM.
    My Steam profile

22. - Top - End - #412
    Titan in the Playground

...wait wat? I missed that.
    Messaging is a part of your start menu.

I meant to keep up with ENB's playthrough as he did it. I've made good progress this morning.

Spoiler: Progress
    Show
    I got to of the primal bonfires. Sinners and the Rotten.

Spoiler: The Gutter/Gulch
    Show
    Those little statues. I can hear their heartbeats. They are always watching. They can always see me. They haunt the black when I close my eyes.

Make sure you smash them so they don't poison you.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Troll in the Playground

Still haven't found the items need to get a decent enchantment on my weapon. Guess I'm sticking with that fire longsword I found for a bit longer.

Spoiler
    Show
    Also, can anyone tell me where to find some better sorceries? I've purchased everything from the guy on the docks but nothing seems too much more effective than just spamming more soul arrows. That sword spell from the trailers/beta would be awesome to have.

Also, has anyone found the pyromancy flame yet? I'd love to be able to use some of these pyromancies.

I managed to get to my first primal bonfire. It was kind of hilarious how many folks were charging straight at the Sinner, and dying horribly, without getting the key to light the oil first. He became rather simple once I did that.

Now I'm on the wooded area with the mist. I wonder if there's a way to help with those invisible archers?
    Last edited by Tome; 2014-03-15 at 07:07 PM.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Show
    Those little statues. I can hear their heartbeats. They are always watching. They can always see me. They haunt the black when I close my eyes.

Make sure you smash them so they don't poison you.
    Show
    God I hate those things. I'm dreading going back to The Gutter for that very reason.

Spoiler: Forest of Fallen Giants questions
    Show
    Has anyone found out how to get the item that's on the wooden platform above the cave with the creature that breathes fire?

Also, there's a door by the fog wall leading to the Last Giant that no key seems to open. Is it a shortcut to something way later in the game, or am I just missing something obvious?

25. - Top - End - #415
    Titan in the Playground

Just passing to say that I hate you all..... I want to play DkS II too Q_Q
    Just call me Dusk

26. - Top - End - #416
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Spoiler: Forest of Fallen Giants questions
    Show
    Has anyone found out how to get the item that's on the wooden platform above the cave with the creature that breathes fire?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Go up the ladder and find your way down to there.

Also, I was wrong, there's only one Small White Sign Soapstone. The one given to you by an NPC is regular White Sign Soapstone (I think the difference is the timer).
    My Steam profile

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    Still haven't found the items need to get a decent enchantment on my weapon. Guess I'm sticking with that fire longsword I found for a bit longer.

Spoiler
    Show
    Also, can anyone tell me where to find some better sorceries? I've purchased everything from the guy on the docks but nothing seems too much more effective than just spamming more soul arrows. That sword spell from the trailers/beta would be awesome to have.

Also, has anyone found the pyromancy flame yet? I'd love to be able to use some of these pyromancies.

I managed to get to my first primal bonfire. It was kind of hilarious how many folks were charging straight at the Sinner, and dying horribly, without getting the key to light the oil first. He became rather simple once I did that.

Now I'm on the wooded area with the mist. I wonder if there's a way to help with those invisible archers?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Weapon enchantments don't work the same way as in Dark Souls 1 - it's one rank and frankly don't have that great an effect on power. A normal weapon will scale to keep up, like in the first game. Getting to be able to apply enchantments is a long way down one of the paths, but having achieved it I don't think I'm going to take advantage of it and just go with a normal weapon on my Strength build.

The only Pyromancy trainer I've found is the petrified lady in that tower outside Manjula - you need a Fragrant Branch of Yore to be able to unpetrify her, and there are a few of those hidden around, but again in the deeper areas.

On the Sinner...um...there's Oil?

I just summoned another player and the nearby NPC and we took him on 3-1, rotating out and healing when he beat us up. Had a few close calls, but he wasn't too tough (it was only my second attempt at taking him).

28. - Top - End - #418
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Pyromancy
    Show
    Another petrified dude is in the Lost Bastille. He gives a couple of pyromancies.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Use shields and keep an eye out, attacking when they come at you. AoE spells like Scraps of Life help.

The Pyromancy Flame can be found in a chest after being a boss in No-Man's Wharf.

Straid of Olpahis can teach you more powerful sorceries, and hexes; he's located in the Sinner's Rise, petrified.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Halfling in the Playground

Becoming human question...

Spoiler
    Show
    I noticed a few times after being summoned while hollow that is revert to human form and sometimes not. Anyone figure out how that works yet?
    Vereor Nox