New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dark Souls II: The Thread, AND the Game!

Yeah, a casting speed buff would be appreciated. It feels faster than it did in DkS, but it's still slow. It kinda of sucks Faith has the short end on offensive spells. Longer cast times and fewer casters (3 versus 8, WTF). With these changes, I am not sure what I'll do after Santier's and Hexer build. :l
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Ettin in the Playground

As good spells go, Faith has Wrath of God, Blinding Bolt (which only takes up 1 slot!) and Heavenly Thunder. I absolutely _love_ the Blinding Bolt + Heavenly Thunder combo as you follow up with Great Fireballs, or more Heavenly Thunder; lightning ****ing everywhere.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Titan in the Playground

I'm rethinking even bothering now. WoG is getting a nerf, and it probably won't ever be getting any buffs or interesting changes.

I might start using Heavenly Thunder more. My slots have been full of War+Sunlight Spear. My sword does so much more lightning damage than physical, I don't think War is as handy as GMB.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Man, just went through the absolute hell that is getting Chaos Firestorm...and then I log on to find that it's getting nerfed.

Well, at least I broke my record for damage with it first. 5200+ on one of those giant basilisks, and that was only with a +8 Pyromancy Flame. Lord knows how much it would have done with a +10.

I certainly can't say the Firestorm spells getting nerfed is un-deserved though. Those things deal an utterly absurd amount of damage.

Also glad to see I wasn't crazy with Soul Spear - thought I was doing something wrong.

And maybe Lucatiel will actually survive bosses I bring her to now, so I can complete her storyline.

Freja's Press attack getting nerfed is the other major news for me - I got hit by that and one-hit killed from full health, while wearing full Havel's.

On the flip side, I'm really not sure why Lost Sinner is getting a nerf. I've always found her rather easy, unless I'm trying to keep Lucatiel alive.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Titan in the Playground

Heavenly Thunder has gotten me a couple of kills. Too bad about the range, though.

Anyway, I've been using Bonfire Ascetics to farm the Petrified Dragon Bone at the Dragon Aerie for my Defender's Greatsword (now at +5) and Bow of Want (+2, but I have 8/10 of the bones). I'm planning on using excess Titanite material to test the scaling and damage on other lightning greatswords.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

So I've killed the scorpion chick and the giant spider and gotten the souls I need and am now in dranglaic castle. I've managed to get sunlight spear but with my stats split between str and fai I need to lower down its pre req. I've already used 6 skeptic spice on it and I intend to get the +5 faith ring but I was wondering where people would recomend me to go to farm it.

E: Also kinda big news, got my priest's chime tohave lightning and +7 and got my zweihander to +10. Just need to find some armour that I like that doesn't use twinkling and upgrade that.
    Last edited by Gabe; 2014-04-10 at 05:42 AM.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Ettin in the Playground

That damn spider boss... * angry noises of grumbling frustration*
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Ettin in the Playground

TBH, I'd save your Skeptic's Spice for 'Death by Disco' Blinding Bolt.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealistik View Post
    Bellfry Luna has 3. So 5 Ascetics, and I would have enough at my 50 Faith. :s
    Spoiler: Ascetics
    Show

Ascetics can be found after the Looking Glass Knight. Good luck with farming that for a net of 2.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Troll in the Playground

Bellfry Luna has 3. So 5 Ascetics, and I would have enough at my 50 Faith. :s
    Show

Ascetics can be found after the Looking Glass Knight. Good luck with farming that for a net of 2.
    Show
    There's three of them in the Memory of Orro. Probably the best place to farm for them.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

11. - Top - End - #581
    Titan in the Playground

So, I'm planning on trying to pick up a copy of Dark Souls 1 within the next day or two, and have a question I'd like to ask before I play it. One of the few specific things I know about the game is that it has a character creation and class system, and normally in such games I prefer to play a Mage, because I just like spellcaster-type characters in general. But given this series' reputation and the tendency for Mages to be fragile, I'm wondering if that might be a bad idea for my time through this particular game. So, what would the general wisdom be there - best to save a Mage play-through for a subsequent time through where you have a better understanding of the game, or is the game challenging in such a way that it makes little difference which class you go with the first time?
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

12. - Top - End - #582
    Titan in the Playground

The game's class system is just in name, selecting a class only affects your starting stats and equipment, after that you can take your character in any direction you like so you can make a pure mage (there is a pretty neat base soul level sorcerer run on youtube). In addition there are 3 types of magic, Pyromancy (fire spell focus, extremely offensive with a few buff which are nonetheless some of the most powerful effects in the game) Sorcery (Mix of Offensive & defensive spells with a few utility, though I can't recall if they are exclusive to the DLC, which you should get as it is awesome) and Miracles (healing, buffs with some offensive spells thrown in). Having said that there isn't anything that prevents you from mixing 2 or even all of them, though due the vancian nature of the spell system you will have few of each ones, IIRC the maximum number of slots is 12, but that is a massive stat investment (which granted doesn't really matter since you won't be PvPing). Finally you will most likely want to have a melee weapon just in case, if you plan to be a primary caster I'd get the minimum requirements for the weapon you want and invest the rest in your casting stat/vitality.

In my experience there isn't really much difference which class you choose at the start (unless you have something specific in mind, like a SL 1 run or something like that) so feel free to choose, though it is generally assumed Pyromancer is the best all around starting class.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

13. - Top - End - #583
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Mages in Dark Souls do make the early game easier, I've found. They then have a bit of trouble late in the mid-game, when your squishiness isn't yet being matched by the power of end-game spells.

It depends on your playstyle, as well. I've always found heavy armor builds suit me best, despite the "agreed" stance that light armor builds rule all.

14. - Top - End - #584
    Troll in the Playground

I went sorcerer first and found nothing to complain about. The spells for curing poison and casting light will be invaluable in certain parts of the game.

You could start as a Pyromancer as well. They have no stat dependencies, so you could easily build for defence/sorcery on top of that. Their basic attack spells are a bit harder to aim and don't have as much range though.
    Last edited by Tome; 2014-04-11 at 03:59 AM.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Titan in the Playground

So I am ten tokens into my dueling, and I am 8 and 2. It's obvious a lot of these guys have very little experience dueling.

This one "Thewise" guy lost to me 4 times before getting me. He was trying to make a Resonant Weapon lance work. I beat him a few times, backstabbed him to death once. One time, he charged me as a I sprinted past him... and he flung himself into the water.

My Defender's Greatsword is putting in work. I credit all of my kills to that. Great Magic Barrier has saved me a couple times.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Ettin in the Playground

The vast majority of duelers and invaders are trash; this is doubly true until NG+, which features a notable contrast in PvP skill (and equipment!) compared to NG.

Though it isn't an absolute way of gauging PvP talent (I've had some rude/welcome surprises in this way 1st hand), those with intense factional auras tend to be genuinely capable; defeat one of them and you can be relatively confident that you've bested someone with ability.

17. - Top - End - #587
    Titan in the Playground

Either way, I have a long way to go. I only have 21 tokens left, so I'll have to do more boss fights and I'll hopefully be able to aid against an an invader.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Titan in the Playground

The Mirrah Greatsword looks really awesome from what I've seen of it in various material. But it looks like you only get it very late unless you embrace the ways of a murderhobo. Shame.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    The Mirrah Greatsword looks really awesome from what I've seen of it in various material. But it looks like you only get it very late unless you embrace the ways of a murderhobo. Shame.
    Is that the turquoise one that the... I think he's Scottish? guy carries in Majula?
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

20. - Top - End - #590
    Titan in the Playground

It's this one.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Titan in the Playground

So, I picked up Dark Souls 1 today. Haven't played much, between work and the fact that I'm still playing BlazBlue every day too. I just got past the tutorial area, basically. I did die to the first boss, several times, but a big part of that was me misreading one of the notes on the floor and hitting the wrong button to try and do the falling attack when you start the fight, resulting in me taking falling damage and often a free hit from the big guy at the start.

Though honestly, at the moment I feel like I'm fighting the weird control scheme more than the enemies. It's so strange having the right trigger buttons be attack, L1 be block, and the face buttons be used for dodging and items. Very counter-intuitive, since it's the opposite of most other action games. I'm also trying to figure out when to use my shield and when to dodge, though dodging seems to have invincibility, so I guess it's probably the more useful defensive tool.

I started as a Pyromancer, since you guys said it's actually agreed to be the best starting class overall. Will probably pursue either pyromancy or sorcery, since the other magic type sounds more like a Priest-type style, and I'm looking to be a Mage-type.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

22. - Top - End - #592
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    So, I picked up Dark Souls 1 today. Haven't played much, between work and the fact that I'm still playing BlazBlue every day too. I just got past the tutorial area, basically. I did die to the first boss, several times, but a big part of that was me misreading one of the notes on the floor and hitting the wrong button to try and do the falling attack when you start the fight, resulting in me taking falling damage and often a free hit from the big guy at the start.

Though honestly, at the moment I feel like I'm fighting the weird control scheme more than the enemies. It's so strange having the right trigger buttons be attack, L1 be block, and the face buttons be used for dodging and items. Very counter-intuitive, since it's the opposite of most other action games. I'm also trying to figure out when to use my shield and when to dodge, though dodging seems to have invincibility, so I guess it's probably the more useful defensive tool.

I started as a Pyromancer, since you guys said it's actually agreed to be the best starting class overall. Will probably pursue either pyromancy or sorcery, since the other magic type sounds more like a Priest-type style, and I'm looking to be a Mage-type.
    I too had issue with the wonky controls at first, but I learned to overcome them. The thing is that the game utilized all the buttons of the controller for some kind of purpose intended for each, so as annoyed as I was initially by the learning curve, I did eventually overcome it and started to really enjoy the game. Faith-based casting is definitely more priest-like, but if anything its more cleric-like. It does have its defensive healing magic, but there are plenty of offensive miracles too (mainly force/wrath of the gods), some that complement a more melee-type caster such as Darkmoon Blade or Sunlight Blade. But casting is cool too, and come with a buttload of offensive spells, and the ever-useful dark sorceries that just make pvp silly. #pursuers
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Ettin in the Playground

A comprehensive guide to dark magic.

Power. Power. Power. Power. Power. Power. PowerPowerPower.

As of Dark Souls 2, not much has changed.

In other news, Spider Silk and Bat Staff + Dark Fog combo seem to be the ultimate turtle breakers. As weapons go, I just have not found a better concretely-anti shield option than Silk, and I've tried plenty. Silk goes through shields like they aren't even there with its strong attacks which remain blazing fast (and which stagger decently if used with the Stone Ring) and BatFog (as I'm sure many now know from the recent bandwagoning after this info became public domain) = instant poison. Despite the doubled cast time from not having enough Int to properly wield the Bat Staff, this combo is still worth it for being so incredibly strong. The thing about BatFog is that it originates from what seems to be an unintended synergy (essentially the Bat Staff's poison damage applies to the Dark Fog build up), and I've always been leery about relying on it for this reason out of fear it will be patched away.

Bottom line though, I'm really loving all the Havel Greatshield hate that's out there; I ****ing despise Havel's Greatshield, because barring counters, it makes me actually have to work for my kills when used by skilled players, and even they come with their risks/drawbacks.

Beyond that, given the set and namesake character's popularity, I suspect that it'll be around to plague me for as long as the series persists.

24. - Top - End - #594
    Titan in the Playground

Well, we should be much faster than the guys toting around greatshields, right? The combo looks like a good one.

Anyway, intensity 4 gargoyles is... intense. I got it down to 1 gargoyle, but got skewers to the face for my trouble. I'll get my last 3 spice somewhere else.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2014-04-12 at 12:41 PM.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Ettin in the Playground

Unfortunately that's not the way it works in Dark Souls; man can be weighed down with a shield and armour made from solid rock, wielding a literal tree trunk and move just as quickly as a guy in leather with a rapier so long as he's got the requisite Vitality. It's always been one of the things I never really liked about the series.

Personally I think that your armour and shield type/weight should act as a direct cap or coefficient to your overall mobility that remains relevant regardless of your equip load, perhaps influenced by strength, not unlike the way your casting implement has a significant impact on your cast speed regardless of cast speed from other sources.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Troll in the Playground

The thing about BatFog is that it originates from what seems to be an unintended synergy (essentially the Bat Staff's poison damage applies to the Dark Fog build up), and I've always been leery about relying on it for this reason out of fear it will be patched away.
    Hmm... thinking about it, if you could cast Dark Fog through one of the weapon catalysts you should see the same synergy from a poison infusion or green pine resin.

No, wait, the Blue Flame doesn't work with hexes. Blast. If only it was cast with a chime instead, I know the shield is compatible with them.
    Last edited by Tome; 2014-04-12 at 01:23 PM.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    Hmm... thinking about it, if you could cast Dark Fog through one of the weapon catalysts you should see the same synergy from a poison infusion or green pine resin.

No, wait, the Blue Flame doesn't work with hexes. Blast. If only it was cast with a chime instead, I know the shield is compatible with them.
    I believe what you're looking for is a Mace of the Insolent.

I've been experimenting with it; works well, though I'm not a fan its weight, which matters as I'm very close to my 70% encumbrance limit.

Sadly it casts Chime Hexes only so you can't exploit the poison enhancement with Dark Fog.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Ah, damn, that thing looks awesome. Shame I didn't pay attention and used his soul on something else.... I actually think it was for a couple of soul levels :/ whoops.jpg

29. - Top - End - #599
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    Speak of the Devil. I was about to post about the Blue Flame.

Spoiler: Blue Flame
    Show
    It's a catalyst! Cool as hell, for a sword. I wonder how good it can get...

I used Blinding Bolt against a wannabe dragon. He walked away from it. :'(
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2014-04-12 at 02:25 PM.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Ettin in the Playground

+5 Magic Blue Flame has been my favourite weapon on sorcery builds since I discovered it shortly after release; as mentioned before I fully expect it to be the 'new' CMW Moonlight Greatsword bandwagon.

With the CMW buff, its spell damage is just slightly less than Staff of Wisdom and it casts faster while doing double duty as a fast weapon with decent reach and a nice horizontal slash. It also lets you buff another weapon with CMW, or a shield with Strong Magic Shield while it itself is buffed.

RE: Blinding Bolt: Works best in enclosed areas/close quarters and in conjunction with Heavenly Thunder.

It also serves as a potent zoning/area denial option that wards off opponents and their cute little rollstab/attack attempts so you can keep spell spamming them.

EDIT: Apparently WoG now only deals damage equivalent to about a third of my health post GMB and Resonant Flesh; quite a nerf indeed.