New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: First World: weeping and gnashing of teeth and penguins

Cornelius spins out of the flaming maze, grimacing at the pain. He frowns at the effects of his ally's lightning, then flies to stand beside Eucalyptus, calling out in a strident voice.

"(Abyssal) Why do you fight us? We have done nothing to intentionally harm you."

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge Rolls:
    Arcana: (1d20+50)[9](59)
    Religion: (1d20+50)[6](56)
    Planes: (1d20+37)[18](55)
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

The towering demonic... thing flickers like an illusion running out of power. Then it bursts into black smoke and reforms into a girl!
    A five-foot-nothing redhead with a rather good-looking face framed by crimson waves, a curvy body not really concealed behind a filmsy low-necked gown, and a generally unarmed, non-threatening demeanor. Except for the eyes; gleaming black from lid to lid they aren't exactly reassuring, especially when the girl's expression is somewhere between amused condescension and hunger.

Yes, because every attack ever was self defense against harm caused by others. she says in a musical voice that somehow is as dry and biting as the wasteland around you. One couldn't possibly attack because they wanted to take your possessions. Or because you were food to them. Or for hating your being different. Or because they simply liked to fight. Or due to being clinically insane. Or because your destruction served their convoluted plans, political or otherwise. Or to punish or provoke or get back at somebody else. Or -and here's my favorite- for no reason whatsoever.
    She snorts. It's rather cute.
    Your questions and objections to this situation are absurd. Here I am in a walk in the wastes, with a purpose to do with the disassembly of bodies and the consumption of souls - namely yours, my dress and hair are fouled up by all this ash and you've yet to bring up a single point of immediate consequence!

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

"I thought you liked the ash. I can get rid of it entirely if you would prefer. I have been killed a few thousand times before, so if it would make you feel better I don't really mind, but I'm not sure why you didn't just incorporate and ask at first."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

See, that's one reason I attacked. the girl says, responding to Dac. Your kind are so arrogant that when things go totally wrong for you your reactions are hilarious. For example, you're exactly in the right place to make this boast of yours about immortality even better. All you have to do is spend the night right here in this crater. It will even be fun - for me, as I observe your final moments from the safety of several thousand miles of distance.

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Eucalyptus shoots Oril an annoyed look.

As if everyone here wouldn't mind dying a thousand times...

He turns his attention back to the cute demon girl and says, "L-look, I don't think anyone here likes this ash, but one of my companions here did manage to fix that annoying problem! ...You seem to be the type who enjoys doing whatever you want. Do you like music?"

Slowly, Eucalyptus retrieves a lute from his magic satchel.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Slough is afraid. Not at a deep biological flight-or-fight, she hasn't been able to feel that for years now. However, she can cerebrally recognize their's a good chance this person could do some major harm. So, she attempts bargaining.Or stalling. Either way, it's talking while she tries and prepare herself:

"In order: Little of my possessions are good assets, and if your powerful enough to take them then you will find them of little use.
    Given the very diverse group here, it's unlikely any creature would find all of us edible.
    How can you tell we're different when we've been here all of half-a-minute?
    Then why would it be an ambush that would make things quick, as opposed to an announcement to draw things longer?
    The fact you could feasibly recognize the possibility disproves it.
    Dead people are generally less useful than pawns.
    Given how we've never been here before, there's nobody we know that could possibly be a target of such action.
    Then why would somebody do something with even a small degree of risk without at least some gain?
    If it's souls and bodies your after, it would be better to let me live. I can store both within me and cough them up later. So it would be more advantageous to you to let me live. Increase your gain for little effort. As for possible counterpoint: a creature made from my body will fail to possess my mind where such things are stored, making me useless to you dead.
    "

Of course, there is the possibility this creature is simply too stupid to be bargained with. In contingency of that, she begins to change her form away from vision, now that she can see clearly (though she double-checks to ensure the goggles are over her original eyes, in case of illusions), a plan brewing. Out here, it was powerful. Within her own mind...it would be nothing. And if she fought herself...

Spoiler
    Show
    Free:talk
    Swift:Extend Spike Stones graft.
    Move:Change form points from Eyes to the following:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nightmare Gateway (w/nightmare gateway)
    Flesh (pretending (chameleonic), condensedx2,reality warping, regenerativex78) [conservative form avoids base cost]
    Mouth (large mouthx5(colossal+), pseudopodia flowing shape)
    Stomach (Still, Inner Universe (Strongly Negative-aligned, Dead Magic), Monster Within, Dimensional Trap) [applied to primary stomach avoids base cost]

1 form point left over

Standard:Ready action to initiate a grapple with my pseudopod if she takes any aggressive action.
    Spoiler: Attack+grapple, if it comes up
    Show
    Attack roll (vs. touch): (1d20+36)[48]
    Grapple Check:(1d20+56)[62]
    EDIT:realized I forgot some bonuses: the +2 from pseudopodia and +24 from grappling tentacles. Actual grapple is thus 26 higher.
    Last edited by Necroticplague; 2014-02-27 at 09:40 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Faceless Man, realizing that what is before him is as unassailable as the sky itself, slowly moves back over to the group.

Moving very slowly, he offers the incarnate vestige a slightly awkward looking bow, due to the high gravity and barely being able to move without magical assistance.

"My apologies, milady. I did not recognize you, else I would've said something sooner.

I am known as the Faceless Man, First Amongst Assassins. Might I know your name and title?"

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

The girl laughs.

Oh, this is so fun. Let me see... she thinks for a few moments then she nods and begins to answer. Valuable possessions are more the things you are, than those you carry. All of you are sentient thus you do satisfy the food requirements of some groups - false deities for example. You appear to be different so in the minds of many, you are. We are currently drawing things out. Insane people can be perceptive - this doesn't stop them from being insane. People are often far more useful dead - just ask any false god. And most people tend to manufacture the reasons for anything they do rather than rely on reality. Last but not least, I never said *I* was interested in your bodies and souls. But now that you mention it...

She laughs again. You get the idea she's not exactly the stablest of personalities. For now, you may call me Nemo. She nods at the Faceless Man. As for my title, "The too smart to reveal her identity to strangers" will do as well as any. She looks straight up then, and points at the group's flying fortress.
    Say, is this light frigate yours or did you find it here?

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Eucalyptus looks up, relieved to see The Prismatic Darkness flying above. Though it's a pity he had to fall out of it.

He nods, saying, "Yes, she's ours. I suppose it's a miracle she came along with us too... speaking of which, you said something will happen here? Perhaps we should leave posthaste. You're more than welcome to a ride, Miss Nemo." He doffs his fancy hat, realizing it is still covered in ash as well as him, and beats it a little in disgust trying to get rid of some of it.

10. - Top - End - #40

Sighing, Cornelius nods. "So, Miss Nemo... do you actually have a reason for attacking us?"

"And yes, that is my ship."
    He gestures upward, and an illusion of a human woman flickers into life beside him.

"Greetings, Miss Nemo. You may call me Prism."
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Greetings Prism. the girl says, still with that smile. You're beginning to feel there's something disturbing about it. How do you feel about construct experimentation? Specifically, the addition of enhancements that allow intelligent objects to experience various forms of suffering so that new methods of having fun can be tested without needlessly wasting living beings? She shrugs.
    Because you and your... crew? You're now in the domain of a dead madman who has been really bored since he destroyed the souls of all his followers in a botched experiment. He really likes visitors, as long as they're sentient.
    Her tone becomes rather obviously smug.
    Given the results of my own little field experiment, you'll probably survive the first couple of pawns he sends to capture you. Probably the first dozen, even. Unfortunately he has millions and as soon as you draw too much attention to yourselves, he'll start bending reality to have larger groups drop in on you. It might take you hours to get outside his domain, too.

Fortunately for you, I know a way out. And if you do a teensy little favor for me, I'd be happy to lead you to safety.

Her voice now has turned high-pitched and whiny like a little girl's. A girl wheedling to get out of her parents' limitation on sweets at that. And while cute, it is just as obviously false - she is very confident as she's making her offer.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Unable to detect any deception, Eucalyptus asks, "And you work for this madman, don't you? What is it you ask?" his tone cautious and suspicious of this demon girl that seems to enjoy evil just a little too much.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Work for him?! for once, she sounds indignant rather than amused. Most undead are smelly, rotting, maggot-ridden, oozing, slimy, disgusting pieces of once-mortal flesh. A girl must have standards and I draw the line way before random body parts start falling off!

14. - Top - End - #44

Prism blinks and winces slightly. "...I would prefer that not happen to me, thank you very much."

"So what is this 'teensy favor' you want...?"

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Eucalyptus winces a bit as well due to his apparent misstep. He quickly replies, "My apologies miss! Twas just a misunderstanding," bowing slightly.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2014-03-01 at 01:31 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

There are quite a few old things buried in this wasteland, their owners long-dead. She shrugs. Let's just say that some people would like some of them retrieved, and it would be easier if your little group did it instead of I. Nothing your type hasn't done before, yes?

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

"Anything you could describe?"

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Eucalyptus adds, "Yes, anything you know would help us find them faster. Which will mean less time in this wasteland and less risk of... erm... being tortured and 'disassembled'."

19. - Top - End - #49

The Faceless Man nods.

"I'm agreeable to this task."

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

The old Vyshanti did both their burials and their research deep underground. Burrows they called these places. Or maybe bunkers? Nomenclature notwithstanding, one of them near here is my target. I could do the retrieval myself but why bother when there are several of you to do it for me with no effort on my part? She smiles winningly at you.
    And the objects in question aren't anything very dangerous - just a few glass jars of elaborate make full of sand. Handle with care and there shouldn't be problems.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Eucalyptus didn't detect any lying or anything like that, though he still couldn't help but feel mistrusting of this.. person. There was probably some information or twist of words she wasn't letting on to. But it also seemed she was the only way to get out of here safely, so it was a moot point...

"Very well, Nemo. Do you know exactly where that 'burrows' is, or does it need to be pinpointed as well?"
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2014-03-05 at 04:12 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Oh yes, I'd come two thousand miles into the dead Vyshanti Empire's no-teleportation zone, a place full of the demented remnants of its once-living archwizards and the lingering echoes of the magic that slagged a third of the continent, only to leave the detail of where exactly I would be going up to a group of newbies that without some help will soon be losing themselves in an undead lord's back yard.
    She gives you a moment to consider her words before pointing over Eukalyptus' shoulder and into the mists.
    The burrow is two miles beyond the impact crater's edge, which makes it a mere ten miles from here. I suggest walking - the more power you use in the open the greater the chance to draw the attention of someone... or something.

Before we go on though, maybe the rest of your group would like to speak up? One mind may not consider everything you'd like to ask.
    especially one so limited
    You don't quite catch her last comment but from her tone you can tell it is not very flattering.

23. - Top - End - #53

I'm perfectly fine with anything that helps up get out of this terrible area...
    So, if we're not to use any excessive magic, what of our airship? Could you possibly overlook it while we're gone?
    "You mean, more than those who believe stories of demons
    being summoned, and the ultimate war of good and evil,
    and barons who bathe in blood of virgins?"
    "Well, yes. Didn't quite buy that?"
    "I don't believe in virgins."

- Steven Brust, "Jheegala"

This sentence is false.

Thanks to Kymme for awesome avatar

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

"It doesn't seem like there are any better options," Kharren says.

Spoiler
    Show
    Kharren is talking as little as possible around Nemo.
    Last edited by Vedhin; 2014-03-05 at 11:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    Don't you see it? The inert Shrieker may have more raw power, but the rock has something the Shrieker will never have. VERSATILITY.

Also, the rock will probably be lighter than the Shrieker, allowing it to be used as a improvised thrown weapon should the need arise.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Overlook your airship? Sure I could. the redhead readily agrees. Wait, doesn't that mean totally ignore it until it gets stolen by undead hijackers? Or put it in my home, sit on it and look down with a proprietary air? Why would you want me to do those things?
    The girl is smiling now - she even winks at the apparently uncomfortable young paladin nearby.

Spoiler: whisper at Kharren
    Show
    The young-looking paladin hears a whisper in her ear, one she's sure nobody else hears;
    "Appearance is an illusion. You'll do well to remember it."

26. - Top - End - #56

That's... not what I had in mind... Is there any way we could secure it until we return here? I would really prefer for nothing to happen to it while we're gone...
    "You mean, more than those who believe stories of demons
    being summoned, and the ultimate war of good and evil,
    and barons who bathe in blood of virgins?"
    "Well, yes. Didn't quite buy that?"
    "I don't believe in virgins."

- Steven Brust, "Jheegala"

This sentence is false.

Thanks to Kymme for awesome avatar

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

"What're its smallest 2 dimensions? I could probably store it in my head if that's a problem. Warden will provide company."

28. - Top - End - #58

"Ah..." Prism's hologram looks around, then at the little girl, bowing slightly. "If you could take care of me, that would be nice... I could keep you company..."

She then gives the rest of the group a glare. "And I will thank you to not refer to me as an 'it'."

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

"Sorry, I was thinking of you much like I do fellow shapechangers or those that can possess: The mind and body are seperate. Your mind is definitely a she, but as we were discussing your body, the term "it" seemed appropriate. Either way, I shall respect your wishes on that regard.

Anyway, I still believe it better for you to come with us, if only because we may need your leviathan intelligence. Your ody's size is of little import, I can do what is similar to creating a demiplane for you to reside on. The details are much more long-winded and I don't feel like explaining them, but
    The Warden would probably be happy to."

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Eucalyptus folds his arms in reaction to the demon. Though not necessarily offended. The others' opinions and concerns did matter. After listening to the current conversation he chimes in again.

"Wait, wouldn't creating a demi-plane and all that jazz use a lot of power and thus attract attention? But for that matter, considering we haven't been swarmed with minions yet, perhaps there is a subtle way for Prism to travel? I'd much prefer riding her as opposed to walking ten miles. Because this plane... the gravity is so strong..."
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2014-03-05 at 07:48 PM.