New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sogra IC

1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Sogra IC

You were on a ship. The Wallflower Waftage. Coming out of a storm, the mast was struck by lightning. The fire it caused spread to the hull, leaving her badly damaged. Nobody on the ship knew just how long she would last, and the nearest port was three days away in the best conditons.

After only a few hours, a Godsend. A small town that wasn't marked on any of the Helmsman's maps. As the Waftage pulls into dock, you can see a sign welcoming travelers to Sogra. The town looks to have seen better days, with a nearby house collapsed in on itself.

Captain Burd tells you that repairs should only take a day or two, assuming you haven't just docked in a ghost town. Since the four of you are the most combat-trained, he "asks" you to be the ones to find out.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Sogra IC

Ryth flies happily off the ship. Fair enough then. He hadn't felt particularly welcome aboard anyhow. This no doubt was due to the unfriendly sailors, and certainly not the fact that he carries a magic item that produces an endless volume of fine dwarven ale and did not share. No-siree-bob.

He was equally happy to have firm, unmoving, non-rolling land beneath his feet again (granted, about two meters beneath his feet, but the sentiment stands!) Ryth was a firm believer that sailing was an entirely unnatural form of transportation, likely conjured into existence by fell mages with dark magic and a searing hatred for dwarves. He didn't get seasick or anything, mind (he was far too used to the world around him constantly rocking for that to be a hassle). But he had seemed utterly unable to keep both feet firmly planted on the deck for more than five minutes at a time (a full two-thirds worse than his solid-ground average!)

No matter! They had hit land! And found a town! And the captain had requested for them to clear out everyone who lived there so they could make repairs! Or something like that! It was possible he hadn't been paying complete attention...
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Tereus stepped off of the boat with his new companions and smiled, looking in the direction of the town. Tereus wasn't a fan of daylight, not since he was transformed by the devils, so being on the open sea had not been great for him. He was excited to spend a bit more time indoors. Checking that everything was in his bag, the strange bird-man looks at the raven sitting on his shoulder. "Ready to head out Itys?"
    The raven nods back.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Vestiges bound (both signs suppressed):

Naberius: DC 15 binding check: (1d20+18)[25]
    -Granted abilities: Disguise self, Faster Ability Healing, Naberius' Skills (Tumble and Sleight of Hand), Persuasive Words, Silver Tongue

Buer: DC 20 binding check: (1d20+18)[24]
    -Buer's Knowledge, Buer's Purity, Delay Disease and Poisons, Fast Healing 1, Healing Gift, Track

Beguiling Influence invocation active.

Pact augmentation: +2 initiative

Last edited by Neely; 2014-07-07 at 09:57 AM.
    Due to life things, my posting will likely be quite infrequent for the next little bit. Sorry for any inconveniences.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

A small giggle emanated from the bow, as a younger girl no more than twenty skipped out. Burning, yellow eyes peered out of her as she found her way down onto the docks. She looked around, expecting to see people, to see wildlife, or life in general. A malicious grin crossed her face. The sunlight was uncomfortable, but it would not last. She turns to the others after standing safely at the marina. "What do you think we are to expect here?" As she speaks, it is somewhat evident that she is... different. Smoke, or gas, or something black and misty leaked with every word from her lips. Her smile seemed to stretch further than it should for her skin to handle. Her last word drained, stretching onward for a moment after she had finished speaking, almost like an echo in everyone's ears. The captain aboard the ship shuddered. Her smile only grew.
    Last edited by CryWolfCorrupt; 2014-07-09 at 07:28 AM.
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Shenra: Human Wu Jen(3.5)
    Awesome Avatar by gurgleflep!

Weekends will be difficult for me to post.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

annoyed Re: Sogra IC

Burd does not in fact shudder unless you're actually using a fear effect or something. Even then, he'd still get a save. For now, he doesn't react. Unless you've been doing this for the entire trip so far, in which case he may roll his eyes.

Show

It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

6. - Top - End - #6

"I have no idea. Though hopefully there are some accommodations that aren't so... turbulent."
    Due to life things, my posting will likely be quite infrequent for the next little bit. Sorry for any inconveniences.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm thinkin'...minotaurs. Ayup, this 'ere definitely looks like minotaur country ta me," Ryth said, giving a sage nod and taking a glugging swig from the large flask that hung at his side.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

8. - Top - End - #8

Tereus looks at the dwarf, at his flask, and rolled his eyes. This bit of knowledge was likely incorrect. Tereus began walking towards the town deciding not to waste any more time.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Still bobbing his head confidently, Ryth floats along after, a sort of swaying, uneven flight path, but it takes him in the direction he's facing and that's good enough for him.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

10. - Top - End - #10

The little girl followed the group, enjoying the different personalities who already emerged in the five minutes off the boat more than they had in the time on the boat. This would be fun. As they approach the town she hungrily keeps an eye out for anyone who may be in the streets.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

It doesn't take long. Where the boards of the dock meet dry land; you all see a lone Goblin, longbow in hand, standing over what appears to be a dead Human. At first glance, you aren't sure how the man died (or even if he's dead), but he doesn't have any arrows sticking out of him. The Goblin sees you, then takes half a step back, slightly pale.

Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Ryth narrowed his eyes. Dwarven wisdom was quite clear: there's never only one goblin. Ever. This one here was clearly plotting something. Some diabolical trick. Some...evil plan! Immediate action was necessary! It was up to him, and him alone, to protect the party - nay, the entire ship! - from the goblin menace! Only through peerless cunning and uncanny forethought would he be able to uncover and disrupt the foul little creature's no-doubt-brilliant strategy!

"Hi."

Oh yeah. Crisis: Averted.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

For a few seconds, the Goblin doesn't react. Then: "Um... hello." He briefly glances down at what, now that you're closer, is clearly a corpse at his feet. You can only imagine what the Goblin is thinking.

Show

14. - Top - End - #14

"Did you kill that human?" Tereus says, looking down at the corpse. The raven on his shoulder suddenly disappears.

Show

So Itys uses his invisibility spell-like ability. And makes a loop to fly around to the other side of the goblin.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Dornick

Glaring at the Captain in annoyance at the man's incompetence and the indignity of the delay, Dornick makes his way ashore with all the noble grace he can muster. His loyal hound, Durivar, follows behind his master, eager to leave behind the confines of the ship.

He examines the dead man from a distance, and he can feel Durivar's hunger as he scents the fresh death. In fact, tiny ice shards fall from Durivar's mouth as he looks from the dead human to the goblin and back again. "Down Durivar... You can eat soon enough." Says Dornick as he listens for the Goblin's response to his shipmates question.

16. - Top - End - #16

Fearmonger sits behind the others, watching and waiting. The goblin was already scared, so this would be a piece of cake. She leaned up on her tiptoes, watching the others interact with him. Deciding to play with him, and also preparing for an onslaught of more goblins to pour out of the woodwork, she waits for him to survey the group. As soon as they make eye contact, she suddenly shimmers and separates into two beings who seem even more twisted by shadow than the original girl had. Each form smiles devilishly at the goblin before stepping out around towards the edges of the group.
    Spoiler: Stuff
    Show
    SLA Mirror Image (1d4)[1]
    Hat of Disguise if need be to cause our appearances to change and warp.
    Edit: Sorry for double post... my code went screwy for some reason.
    Last edited by CryWolfCorrupt; 2014-07-11 at 06:26 AM.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

The goblin doesn't react to the vanishing bird, but the (apparently hungry) wolf seems to unsettle him.

"No, that Ribba. Ribba kill!" You aren't quite sure if fear or proficiency issues are behind his broken speech.

When he sees the young girl- er, girls now... He seems more confused than scared.

Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

"What's a Ribba?"

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

The Goblin in front of you starts to calm down. "Ribba other Goblin. He good. He friend. This Goblin town. But Humans come, they try to take home." He nudges the corpse at his feet with a foot. "Why... why you come here?"

Show

20. - Top - End - #20

Tereus smiles, looking back towards the direction they came from. "We came aboard a ship. One that needs repairs. We were looking for aid in this matter." He looks around at his companions, then down at himself, then back to the goblin. "As you can tell, none of us are human. We are simply travelers in need of a shipwright."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

The Goblin looks over your heads, toward the Waftage, then smiles. "We can fix! We can fix, but you help us kill Humans first. Yes?"

Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Ryth frowned and looked to the others. "Well I'll tell ye what, if wipin' out a buncha squatter humans'll get our canoe 'ere afloat again, I can't say as I'm against it. That said, I'm not exactly fond o' the idea o' teamin' up wit' a buncha goblins. Offends me dwarven sensibilities, if I'm frank."

He stopped for a beat, then added, "So clearly, best play would be ta take the humans out ourselves an' have the goblins stay at home, am I right?" He bobbed his head with a contented smile, confident in the brilliance of his plan.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

23. - Top - End - #23

"Backup would be nice, but I suppose we can go on our own."
    Tereus sighs and looks up to the sky. "Okay... so, can you tell us a bit more about the humans? Where are they? Are they fighters or magic users? Do they worship a specific god? Why do they want the town?"
    Last edited by Neely; 2014-07-11 at 03:56 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

"Don't know all. All around town, many Humans. They..." He pauses, perhaps thinking for the right word, then switches to his native tongue. "I'm sorry, but do any of you happen to speak Goblin?"

Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

"What did you just call me?" Ryth demanded angrily.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

26. - Top - End - #26

"Calm down, I think he's just speaking another language. Is that Goblin?" Tereus looks to the goblin, then to his companions.

Show
    Tereus can speak goblin, but he'd rather not let that be known. With Naberius he can take a ten on it, so if it's needed he rolls a 16 on his bluff check.

27. - Top - End - #27

The girl stands quietly, still smiling at the goblin. She turns to Tereus. "It sounds like Goblin... a variation of Orcish, but more chittery. I can't really understand it, we should just kill him." She took a small step forward, curious if he understood what she had said.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

He quite clearly understands, as he immediately runs off screaming bloody murder. He manages to get around the corner of the nearest building, and therefore out of sight, before anyone can react; but you can clearly hear that he hasn't gotten far yet.

He appears to have dropped something.

Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Ryth raised one eyebrow, shrugged, and floated over to examine whatever it was the goblin had dropped.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

30. - Top - End - #30

The little girl considered giving chase. She really loved when they fled. Almost everyone ran. It was more fun that way! The chase, the hunt... that's the thrill. She didn't really need the kill. Just the hunt itself. However, when she noticed the goblin had dropped something, she instead went to examine it with the floating man.
    Show