New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Typical Werewolf - Loosely Based on Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinator View Post
    I'm not sure what the first four were, but it made me think Team Rocket motto. Pseudo Nym picked up on it. Possibly TFT as well?

I thought maybe Legato was pointing out that I had missed something the first four were referencing. I guess this means that's not quite accurate.

Also, you're not *required* to read it each day, but if roleplaying gets to the point where I want it to be, it's probably a good idea to at least take a glimpse.
    If the first four were referencing something, I have no idea what. I made two fermata puns, then saw what I took were a bunch of non sequitors, and followed with a very obscure meme.
    TFT knew better.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Oh, I caught the music puns. I tried to look up the stick-man, but didn't get any kind of explanation.

Finally forced me into getting one of these.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Count Dingdong
    Guest in the Playground

I saw the fermata puns. Then I saw the posts that obviously hadn't realized them... My only thought was "Disturb not the harmony..."

4. - Top - End - #94
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by LoP View Post
    According to the Interwebs, the English translation of War and Peace is around 560,000 words.

The number of players will be denoted by n, the round by t, and word count by w. The number of players is a function of t, and decreases by 2 every round. We start off with 30 players (n0), so players as a function of round is n(t)=30-2t. Trivially, the day when the game ends (aka, there are no players left) would be at most round 15.

Word count for a given day is 200 times the player count, or w(t)=200 n(t)=200 [30-2t]. The cumulative word count from round 0 to round T is simply the integral of w(t) evaluated from t=0 to t=T, or

Cumulative word count = -200 (T-30) T

We know that the maximum number of days possible is 15... so instead of doing a time consuming algebraic solve, lets just plug in T=15 to see the max word count we could reach and compare that to War and Peace's word count...

-200 (T-30) T
    -200 (15-30) 15

So, if the game were to go to its conclusion, we'd only write slightly more than 8% of Tolstoy's novel.
    Hm, I would change 200 for 200x5=1000, since it's 200 words per play each day, and five days each round. Or is that too many words?

Anyway, I don't have Integral prepared, and honeslty I don't even have the levels in Math required to cast it. So I tried to solve it as a aritmetic progression.

Using p for players: p(n)=30-2(n) [same thing, just changed the letters]
    Using w for words: w(n)=1000(p(n))=1000(30-2(n))=30000

finish later sorry

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

As I mentioned, we could do it if the baner blocks the kill every night, and if Pengi writes 2000 word narrations.

Alternatively, if players continue to role play after their death, we could make it to 900000 words if we dragged the game to its maximum conclusion.
    Awesome Lion Avatar by the wonderful Mr. Saturn. Thanks

I have a bloog now. Go check it out if you love strange poetry.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Barbarian in the Playground

More math! Lets figure out what the daily player word count should be to get us to War and Peace levels, without the baner having to lift a finger (aka, a lynch and a nightkill a day). The boundary conditions are still the same, the game ends on round 15.

Lets have W be our desired daily word count per player, then total word count for a given day is w(t) = W * n(t) = W * (30-2t).

Summing/integrating from round 0 to 15 gives us

Integral (W * n(t)dt) = W * Integral (n(t)dt) (since W is just a constant), Integral (30-2t) = 30t-t^2 + C.

So, W (30t-t^2) evaluated from t = 0 to t=15 yields W(225).

Setting this to our desired War and Peace count of 560 000, we get that W has to be ~2489 per round per player. Divide that up amongst how many days each round represents.

GET WRITING PEOPLE.
    Last edited by LoP; 2014-03-12 at 07:44 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97

...could we not have chosen a smaller book perhaps?
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

None of us had anything better to do than calculate that.

I love it.

9. - Top - End - #99

I do have something to do...

... I just don't want to do it. :-P

10. - Top - End - #100
    Bugbear in the Playground

Is it just Roleplay posts? If we take regular posts, we'll get there quicker (But that would ruin the fun of it... we may want to set stuff up pre-game for RP beforehand, if we actually set that up as a secondary goal.)
    Actually, that could be a cool goal or trophy or something. A trophy for people who do the most RP.
    The statement below is true
    The statement above is false

Thanks to Grinner Cuthalion for the avatar!

Want to play a birdie in 4e? Come check it out!

11. - Top - End - #101
    Count Dingdong
    Guest in the Playground

Well, you see, it's actually a *bit* more complex. There's one person killed per day (72 hours) and one person killed per night (48 hours). If we start with 30 players, that means that it's [(sum of even players 2->30) * 3 days + (sum of odd players 3->29) * 2 days] * 200 (words/(player*day)). The first sum is 2*15*16/2 = 240. Times 3 is 720. The second sum is 15^2 - 1 = 224. Times 2 is 448. Together that's 1168. Times 200 is 233,600 words. We can add 200 words if the final person does a victory post, to make 233,800. We can add 1000 words per narration (?), including opening and ending, to make 263,800, but we still fall short. But we'll at least make it about halfway!

Now, let's see how many words per irl day we'd need. So if we have 1168w + 30,000 >= 560,000, we have 1168w >= 530,000. w >= ~454 words! (about the same even if we have that final victory post) So we just need 454 words per player per irl day! That's barely anything, especially if any of you have done NaNoWriMo. Or it's what, a two page paper or so? We can do it guys! If we just get people to pick up any slack, and the people who fall behind get lynched/killed (incentive to RP, guys? ), this'll be simple!

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sabeki View Post
    Is it just Roleplay posts? If we take regular posts, we'll get there quicker (But that would ruin the fun of it... we may want to set stuff up pre-game for RP beforehand, if we actually set that up as a secondary goal.)
    Actually, that could be a cool goal or trophy or something. A trophy for people who do the most RP.
    Well first, Penguinator should create 20 characters for each of us with a nuanced history, mapped out family tree, and basic personality archetype. Tolstoy had a good 600 characters to run the narrative with. Staying with our base roles would just be taking the easy way out. Once that work is done by...tomoorow, we can begin plotting out all the different possible lynch/wolf kills and how they might impact the plot. Then we'll repeat Tye process with tone and theme. After that, we can fom debate teams to figure out what genre we want to transition into halfway through. War and peace went philosophy, which is an easy out. I'm sure we can do something more hardcore. Oh, and we'll need to take acting classes, so our characters sound believable. And GnrlShrimp, you need to look 5 inches taller for the making of video.

13. - Top - End - #103

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Well first, Penguinator should create 20 characters for each of us with a nuanced history, mapped out family tree, and basic personality archetype. Tolstoy had a good 600 characters to run the narrative with. Staying with our base roles would just be taking the easy way out. Once that work is done by...tomoorow, we can begin plotting out all the different possible lynch/wolf kills and how they might impact the plot. Then we'll repeat Tye process with tone and theme. After that, we can fom debate teams to figure out what genre we want to transition into halfway through. War and peace went philosophy, which is an easy out. I'm sure we can do something more hardcore. Oh, and we'll need to take acting classes, so our characters sound believable. And GnrlShrimp, you need to look 5 inches taller for the making of video.
    I took three years of Theatre in middle school, does that count?

Extended Sig

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    Christmas starts when Halloween ends, Halloween starts after New Year. The only part of the year that isn't a holiday is between Christmas and December 31st.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    I took three years of Theatre in middle school, does that count?
    In unrelated news, I have found us all an acting teacher.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Count Dingdong
    Guest in the Playground

...and I'm about 5 inches taller than Grnlshrimp? Maybe I could understudy after I get mysteriously NK'd Night 1? I'm sure I can pull it off; I've got experience! ...do school plays and projects count?

16. - Top - End - #106

Quote Originally Posted by Count Dingdong View Post
    Snip
    My method used rounds (a complete in game day and night) and glossed over certain details (the big one being the game will certainly end BEFORE Day 15), but if you take my word count per player per round of 2489 and divide by the number of days in that round (3 for day phase, 2 for night phase, gives us 5 per round), you get 497ish per player per DAY, which is pretty close to your estimate. Though my method only requires one line of input in Mathematica to solve and can take any number of players or any desired word count. Am I competitive? .... maybe

Also, if we want to get REAL complex, we can run simulations to determine the general expected outcome on the exact day the game would end and run our calculations using that as our end round, instead of assuming the highly unlikely case that the game goes to the very last villager/wolf. In any case, our figured word count per player per day of about 450-500 words is likely going to go up... for instance, if the game ends Round 7 (which is way more likely than Round 15), word count goes up to 3479ish per round or 696 per day.
    Last edited by LoP; 2014-03-12 at 09:10 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Count Dingdong
    Guest in the Playground

Ah, but see, the real majesty of this is that this specific game is meant for roleplay and not victory. And so it would be reasonable if not likely that we would reveal roles such that we maximize role-playability and maximize the length of the game for an epic roleplay ending (so long as the players can make good roleplay dynamic amongst themselves). So it wouldn't be entirely unreasonable that we would purposefully delay the game to Day 15 (or further, utilizing the baner for our nefarious roleplay purposes)! Take that, logic!

((Also, sum of first n odd numbers is very easy: it's n^2. Likewise, sum of first n even numbers is easy: it's n(n+1). Well, technically it's 2*n(n+1)/2, but the 2s cancel. So we have 200(3n(n+1) + 2n^2) = 200(3n^2 + 3n + 2n^2) = 200(5n^2 + 3n) = 1000n^2 + 600n, where n is starting players/2. Well, for even player games. Odd starting players has 200(3n^2 + 2n(n-1)) = 200(5n^2 - 2n) = 1000n^2 - 400n, where n is (starting players + 1)/2. So if we want to get competitive about simplicity of functions. ))
    Last edited by Count Dingdong; 2014-03-12 at 09:18 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108

Curse your lateral thinking and bringing this into the thespian arena, where my calculatory powers degenerate into nothing more than story-advancing exposition, deus ex machina, or plot device! If you'll excuse me, I have to go install a backdoor Trojan virus behind the firewall of the dark matter phlebotinum reactor's unobtainium core.
    Last edited by LoP; 2014-03-12 at 09:22 PM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ah, but see, the real majesty of this is that this specific game is meant for roleplay and not victory. And so it would be reasonable if not likely that we would reveal roles such that we maximize role-playability and maximize the length of the game for an epic roleplay ending (so long as the players can make good roleplay dynamic amongst themselves). So it wouldn't be entirely unreasonable that we would purposefully delay the game to Day 15 (or further, utilizing the baner for our nefarious roleplay purposes)! Take that, logic!
    I want to use this post as a jumping off point for a related question about the game for Penguinator; Is the expectation that we are voting based on who our characters would actually find more suspicious, or is there still expected to be out of character/game reasons for votes?

I think we should establish the expectation clearly beforehand, as it could be frustrating for people if half of us are voting based on who our characters would actually want to lynch and the rest are still trying to casually find wolves.

If we are going with in-character votes, that may give the wolves an advantage, since the kill is not hampered nearly as much by character choice...even though winning is not the end goal, I think the game should still be balanced, and that may be something to take into consideration...
    Awesome Lion Avatar by the wonderful Mr. Saturn. Thanks

I have a bloog now. Go check it out if you love strange poetry.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Count Dingdong
    Guest in the Playground

On a slightly more meta note, I wonder how far we could push our word count discussing a game whose word count exceeds War and Peace. Could we even exceed it with just discussion regarding exceeding it?!?!? ...anyone want to find out?

21. - Top - End - #111

Wait, what, 5 inches taller? Where did that come from?

And my goodness, look at all that maths.

And we haven't even started playing yet!

Or...or maybe we have? Perhaps this is some fiendish wolf plot to sow discord among us by trying to trick us into writing a very precise number of words per day?
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

On a slightly more meta note, I wonder how far we could push our word count discussing a game whose word count exceeds War and Peace. Could we even exceed it with just discussion regarding exceeding it?!?!? ...anyone want to find out?
    I've been in werewolf games that went over War and Peace's wordcount before. Started with like 35 players, ended up something like 10,000 posts in total.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Count Dingdong
    Guest in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post
    Wait, what, 5 inches taller? Where did that come from?
    And GnrlShrimp, you need to look 5 inches taller for the making of video.
    ...and on that note, I realized that I should stop being dylsexic and spell your name right next time. Whoops. >.>

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

In unrelated news, I have found us all an acting teacher.
    I'm a musical theatre major. Anybody feel like singing?

Quote Originally Posted by Zjoot View Post
    I want to use this post as a jumping off point for a related question about the game for Penguinator; Is the expectation that we are voting based on who our characters would actually find more suspicious, or is there still expected to be out of character/game reasons for votes?
    I... had never considered voting in-character. Seems like it would make the game too challenging. OOC for voting purposes.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

I'm a musical theatre major. Anybody feel like singing?

I... had never considered voting in-character. Seems like it would make the game too challenging. OOC for voting purposes.
    I will be voting in character. And everything I post will be an internal monologue.

Deal with it.

EDIT: Also I'm a tenor.
    Last edited by DoctorWhooves; 2014-03-12 at 10:10 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116

I'll make my OOC votes appear IC, because skills.

I'm a Tenortone. (More comfortable as a baritone, but I can sing tenor well.)
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Zane and Aric by Recaiden. Aric Kat by Hatter.

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: FFRP Newbie Links
    Show

27. - Top - End - #117
    Count Dingdong
    Guest in the Playground

I'm a lyric baritone. If you put things together, maybe I'd help out? I always do like parodies of good songs.

I remember talk of Werewolf: The Musical. Maybe we could actually make that a reality somehow?

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm voting in-character. And writing in-character. And doing my best to think in-character. It's only "too challenging" if you're trying to win.

On a remarkably similar note, I can definitely sing. Poorly. I know, because I've done it in the past. I'd be willing to sing in front of other people, but there's no one I dislike that much.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo_Nym View Post
    It's only "too challenging" if you're trying to win.
    That's a good point, since this game is "not about winning."

'Course, I'm not part of the voting, so I don't have to think about it too much.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

30. - Top - End - #120

I think I'll vote in character.