New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Goblins XIV: Clerical Omission.

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    And so on. C'mon, people, I understand that some may not have the time or will to read the whole thing (even though it really is not that long), but before you come out with weird accusations based on the blog summary, maybe at least check first if the actual blog supports those in any fashion?
    To be fair, he disses those who only read the TLDR part.

2. - Top - End - #602
    Orc in the Playground

This is not intended to be apart of the discussion but the blog and discussion of deadlines made me think of the different schedules Goblins had over the years. Obviously most webcomics go through schedule changes but when the Goblins were in Brassmoon didn't it only update once a month (due to the level of detail)?

I remember the wait between pages was agonizing during that time but it might have just been my anticipation for each new page at the time, which is why I'm asking for confirmation.

3. - Top - End - #603
    Titan in the Playground

i came in either at the tail end of that arc or just afte it finished, i think i joined in around the scene where Dies and Fox's slave tent was about to fall off a cliff and it was still updating fairly slowly.

s far as i'm aware, he updated once a month at best before joining blind ferret, wich bumped him up to around once or twice a week, he kept that schedule for awhile after leaving it though, so i like to think that his time with blind ferret at least did a little good for him.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #604
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by YeahThatGuy View Post
    This is not intended to be apart of the discussion but the blog and discussion of deadlines made me think of the different schedules Goblins had over the years. Obviously most webcomics go through schedule changes but when the Goblins were in Brassmoon didn't it only update once a month (due to the level of detail)?

I remember the wait between pages was agonizing during that time but it might have just been my anticipation for each new page at the time, which is why I'm asking for confirmation.
    I have no idea how comics without a buffer keep a consistent update rate to begin with to be honest.

But yeah, Goblins has had some incredibly slow update rates during the more eventful times of the story's history.

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

5. - Top - End - #605
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neoriceisgood View Post
    I have no idea how comics without a buffer keep a consistent update rate to begin with to be honest.

But yeah, Goblins has had some incredibly slow update rates during the more eventful times of the story's history.
    I was able to manage it during my first webcomic run, only needing to do filler once a year for two years. Granted, I wasn't super busy as I had plenty of time when I was university, I could manage 1 page a week with ease. I only took a one week break when it was the final week to hand up assignments. Updates only slowed when I started working.

And I also know when to stop over-drawing a page and just move on.
    Last edited by Humbug; 2014-05-13 at 05:17 AM.

6. - Top - End - #606
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Humbug View Post
    I was able to manage it during my first webcomic run, only needing to do filler once a year for two years. Granted, I wasn't super busy as I had plenty of time when I was university, I could manage 1 page a week with ease. I only took a one week break when it was the final week to hand up assignments. Updates only slowed when I started working.

And I also know when to stop over-drawing a page and just move on.

I guess it's probably different for once a week, I've pretty much always gone for a multiple pages a week format. Did you update pages as you finished them, or keep em in store to update at a certain weekday?

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

7. - Top - End - #607

Quote Originally Posted by Neoriceisgood View Post
    I guess it's probably different for once a week, I've pretty much always gone for a multiple pages a week format. Did you update pages as you finished them, or keep em in store to update at a certain weekday?
    Certain weekday, setting a deadline makes it easier for me to focus and build a routine around. Which is probably what Thunt was trying to do, except he doesn't have the discipline to see to it.
    Last edited by Humbug; 2014-05-13 at 06:25 PM.

8. - Top - End - #608
    Ogre in the Playground

Mmh, I don't think once a month was that regular. There were a few pages that took a long time, sure, such as the one with the special effect panel when the guards hit Complains's shield, but I don't remember "once a month" as a regular thing.

However, it was definitely less often than once a week. But remember at the time, he also typically uploaded more than one page at a time.

It's been a while, and at that time I typically watched him draw every day so it didn't really feel like waiting, so I could be wrong. However, the pages are named after the date they were put online. That makes it easy to check how long there was between two specific strips, how many pages were in there, etc. Do remember to actually count the pages though. The archives only list the first page of each update, so often there are 2-3 pages per link in the archive, sometimes even more.

EDIT: For instance, I just went to check, the page with the big special effect panel was posted on 10/11/2008, and the page with Chief on the wall was posted on 01/03/2009. So that's under 2 months. The number of pages, counting the two ends, is 15. So 15 pages in 21+30+3 days, 15 pages in 54 days, that gives us a page every 3.6 days during that point in the battle of Brassmon City. (I picked a famous panel and went until the point of view changed, so the starting and ending points are pretty random, but you're free to do your own count).
    Last edited by Lissou; 2014-05-14 at 04:14 PM.

9. - Top - End - #609
    Titan in the Playground

Is someone following the blog? any news at the horizon?
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

10. - Top - End - #610
    Titan in the Playground

There were no new blog posts since. The last Twitter message said that he was inking the upcoming Goblins page, though. However, that was six days ago, and there were no more messages since.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

11. - Top - End - #611
    Titan in the Playground

At least, something is apparently, slowly, moving. tnx.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Spoiler
    Show
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.

12. - Top - End - #612
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, well now THunt's tweeted about his new psychiatrist.

13. - Top - End - #613
    Banned

Good. I've pretty much given up on Goblins at this point, but I'm glad to hear he's getting help.

14. - Top - End - #614

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    Somehow though, the fans, the FANS, are the ones that were the true bosses that caused all his stress, and now that we have been "fired" everything will be just fine. Riiiiight. *sarcasm*

I can't help but feel he's just trying to blame others for his own issues..
    I skimmed parts of the blog, but that wasn't how I interpreted it.

He wasn't blaming the fans for acting like his boss - he was saying that he had been treating the fans as though they were his boss.

And we haven't been "fired" (how do you fire your boss?) - he "quit", meaning he is no longer going to treat making the comic as working for a boss.

15. - Top - End - #615
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post

He wasn't blaming the fans for acting like his boss - he was saying that he had been treating the fans as though they were his boss.

And we haven't been "fired" (how do you fire your boss?) - he "quit", meaning he is no longer going to treat making the comic as working for a boss.
    Well, he can't quit because I fired him!

16. - Top - End - #616

ClericGirl

Hmm, that does actually raise a serious question, as the comic is literally how he made his living. Now that it's not coming out even quasi-regularly, I can't think the job market in Practically Need A Helicopter, Ontario is very promising.

(But as for Toma, I remember her saying the comic had seriously gone downhill back when the Shield of Wonder was wreaking havoc in Brassmoon. It's a bit weird to feel personally rejected at this point.)
    Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.

17. - Top - End - #617
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

I stopped reading Goblins when all the drama started happening. Just now went back to read the blog post.

It's kind of silly. Thunt just got himself overwhelmed on a web comic.
    Top 5 Favorite Characters:
    5) Leeky Windstaff
    4) Malack
    3) Vaarsuvius
    2) Redcloak
    1) O-Chul

18. - Top - End - #618
    Barbarian in the Playground

Just so we know I did actually read Thunt's post, well, skimmed it. I found it annoying, mostly. I could have replied to Lissou explaining that his clarification doesn't change my opinions, at all, and say why, but then we'd get into a long thing and I don't care for doing that. I made my statements and stand by them.

If there is one thing I have learned, over the years, is to NOT drag internet arguments out. It's just too stressful.

Anyway, I simply found it easier to make a reply to the summery and I did get the feeling he was blaming others. Especially when I remember arguing with him and other forum goers back then and his personality really hasn't changed.

Quote Originally Posted by DomaDoma View Post

(But as for Toma, I remember her saying the comic had seriously gone downhill back when the Shield of Wonder was wreaking havoc in Brassmoon. It's a bit weird to feel personally rejected at this point.)

It's *him* thanks, and I've never had major complaints about the story itself. Heck, I never even complained about stuff that was popular to be upset about, like the wall of text pages, or the rape that tossed a lot of people off.

Well, Chief dying hit pretty hard, I find the images of his mutilated body to be excessive. I also can't help but feel that he does like making his characters cry a bit too much, but I've never really said anything about the latter point. Most of my complaints have been on updating or the lack thereof, various decisions he's made outside of writing the story and that his personality puts me off.

Even that though, I haven't done much griping for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    but I don't remember "once a month" as a regular thing.

However, it was definitely less often than once a week. But remember at the time, he also typically uploaded more than one page at a time.

The archives only list the first page of each update, so often there are 2-3 pages per link in the archive, sometimes even more.
    The updating honestly wasn't too bad and I liked some of his text update ideas he had like doing profiles on characters, which I believe were taking out of the archives so simply counting pages isn't entirely accurate. I don't remember once a month being a thing either and I've been reading since just before book 2 started. He just kept up making arbitrary deadlines for himself which failed.

Also, his update rate was much higher in book 1. Which is understandable when you look at the less detailed art. Things only started slowing down after.

He stuck to the multiple pages thing until he started working with LFG. He really, really, didn't want to give that particular thing up. Personally, I take that as a sign of his problems. He stubbornly hangs on to things in ways that cause him grief.

*shrugs* Sounded to me like he was blaming people. The whole Darth bit stood out. He was making good points and then is gets shooed away and, to me, that is saying that it's so obviously wrong. Which I interpreted and blaming commenters.
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2014-06-16 at 03:13 AM.

19. - Top - End - #619
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    *shrugs* Sounded to me like he was blaming people. The whole Darth bit stood out. He was making good points and then is gets shooed away and, to me, that is saying that it's so obviously wrong. Which I interpreted and blaming commenters.
    Of course it had good points. It was Thunt's own manifestation of guilt, not something anyone else said or thought (the fact that it might align with what commentators have said is besides the point). He was told to go away because he was a representation of Thunt letting his guilt ruin his career, marriage, and whole life. Perhaps a more accurate representation would be having Guilt Vader sit in the corner on a time out. Managed but never really gone.

20. - Top - End - #620
    Halfling in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

At this point, it's been over four months since the last comic. In that time, we've gotten a disturbing image of the artist's psyche (since removed), one half-completed gag comic, a string of odd Twitter posts, and a blog update that kinda-sorta-maybe explains part of the reasoning (which is slightly different, or at least tangential, to some of the reasons posted on the message boards). The artist has not posted on Twitter since May 28, and it appears he has relapsed. I doubt that Goblins will ever fully recover from this, and that makes me sad, since I did enjoy some aspects of the comic once.
    Is very bad to steal Jobuu's rum. Is VERY bad.

21. - Top - End - #621

Quote Originally Posted by Jobuu View Post
    At this point, it's been over four months since the last comic. In that time, we've gotten a disturbing image of the artist's psyche (since removed), one half-completed gag comic, a string of odd Twitter posts, and a blog update that kinda-sorta-maybe explains part of the reasoning (which is slightly different, or at least tangential, to some of the reasons posted on the message boards). The artist has not posted on Twitter since May 28, and it appears he has relapsed. I doubt that Goblins will ever fully recover from this, and that makes me sad, since I did enjoy some aspects of the comic once.
    I've no idea what the future of Goblins is. I do know that sometimes getting better takes a long time.

And by the way, Thunt left a link to the disturbing psyche image in his blog post, for those interested.
    Last edited by Bird; 2014-06-17 at 12:09 AM.

22. - Top - End - #622
    Banned

I think even if he gets better most of the fans will have moved on. I know I have, and I probably wouldn't even think of the comic if it weren't for this thread. It's probably safe to say that Goblins as we knew it is over.

23. - Top - End - #623
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I think even if he gets better most of the fans will have moved on. I know I have, and I probably wouldn't even think of the comic if it weren't for this thread. It's probably safe to say that Goblins as we knew it is over.
    For me it's easier to follow a comic that went on hiatus again due to RSS feeds. I don't think I'll remove it from my RSS feed, so when it comes back I'll probably give it another look.

24. - Top - End - #624
    Titan in the Playground

It's probably safe to say that Goblins as we knew it is over.
    Sadly, i must agree.
    But who knows? if it'll ever start again, maybe it will be less... sour.
    Do I contradict myself?

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #625

Found a parody of Goblins (censored for the forum):
    Spoiler
    Show

Commence agreeing/lauding/disagreeing/angrying/ignoring

26. - Top - End - #626

SwashbucklerGuy

That's good and all, but it's a bit subtle, don't you think?

27. - Top - End - #627
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Yes that's pretty much how it's for me too. Over a month ago, after the x-th "I'll continue. This week. Honestly. Tomorrow it's done." from Thunt I deleted the Goblins bookmark from my "check every day" folder.
    At the beginning I was still checking the goblins page every now and then manually, but not for weeks now, and yes, usually only think about it when I see the thread here.

28. - Top - End - #628
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Janus View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

The only things that's missing is a dwarf with really fat legs.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Titan in the Playground

Found a parody of Goblins
    I'm not particularly impressed...
    Do I contradict myself?

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #630

Spoiler
    Show

It's good to see the comic back on track.
    Wait, what signature?