New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary IV: Chrome and Punishment

I really wonder how many other webcomics generate this kind of discussion?
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

2. - Top - End - #182
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    I actually taken my own line of thought regarding this side of the argument from SFDebris, in his review of "His Way", where he discuss the illogism of having Odo (a liquid specie who reproduce assexually) wanting to have an intimate relationship with a female character.

edit: however, it makes more sense for a being like Odo to associate/identify with a specific gender --> he was raised and developped among beings who all have this dichotomy.
    Last edited by Cikomyr; 2014-04-14 at 01:21 PM.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    You don't associate gender to your liver or teeth,
    Not in English, in my native tongue liver and teeth are masculine, while ears, hands and mind are feminine so I didn't even give a second thought to hive-mind being a she.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

4. - Top - End - #184

You don't associate gender to your liver or teeth
    Yes you do.

Gender isn't sex. Gender is the grammatical concept which determines language elements like which pronoun you use. And "neutral", as it exists in English (and many other languages) is a gender.

Many languages do not have a neutral gender at all, instead having only the masculine and feminine genders. For instance in French, liver is masculine (le foie) and tooth is feminine (la dent). In other languages like German, there is a neutral gender but sexless concepts can still have a non-neutral gender. Note that despite the association with sexes, masculine does not imply maleness, and feminine does not imply femaleness. For example in German the word for little girl is Mädchen, which is a diminutive form of Magd (cf. English "maid"; a calque of Mädchen in English would be something like "maidling") and there's a rule in German language that all diminutives in -chen are neutral. So suppose you have a little German Girl named Gretel: if you refer to her as "Gretel", her gender is feminine; if you refer to her as a Mädchen, her gender is neutral. Some other languages do not have masculine and feminine genders at all, but instead have "animate" and "inanimate" genders, so a man and a woman would have the same gender, but a man and a table wouldn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

5. - Top - End - #185
    Bugbear in the Playground

Pfft. You should see some of the discussions on the (current) official board.

Just remember, as someone (*coff*me*coff*) once posted:

But we have no arguments here. We have civilized, rational, intelligent discussions, punctuated with the occasional burst of heavy weapons fire. But no arguments.
    Because as someone else (*coff*Howard*coff*) posted:
    An armed Schlock Mercenary forum is a polite Schlock Mercenary forum.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

That sounds exactly like the sort of crowd who would read Schlock Mercenary.

7. - Top - End - #187

"Hey there. Just FYI, our main gun also happens to be a WMD"

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    "Hey there. Just FYI, our main gun also happens to be a WMD"
    Really though, aren't all main weapons on Schlockverse warships WMD's? This one just seems a little less fucused on it's target.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

Really though, aren't all main weapons on Schlockverse warships WMD's? This one just seems a little less fucused on it's target.

More than just the ships. I'm not sure any of the Toughs carry a weapon that wouldn't qualify for WMD status depending on your definition of "mass." Man-portable anti-starship fullerened antimatter RPG's, concealed antimatter grenades, that little pistol of Murtagh's, everything Shlock has ever touched.

Actually, does Legs carry a sidearm at all? I don't remember.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

It sounds more like the array irradiates the hell out of itself rather than whatever it's targeting. Also we know there's something going on with the ship, this could be an elaborate story to keep her from getting a look at it to see what it actually is.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Yes you do.

Gender isn't sex. Gender is the grammatical concept which determines language elements like which pronoun you use. And "neutral", as it exists in English (and many other languages) is a gender.

(...)
    It seems then, that I used a wrong term for what I tried to say. I never would have guessed, that the grammatical term for variety in personal pronouns is also gender. In my language the word used for it has nothing to do with gender and aside from feminie, masculine and neutral, there is also a distinction between personal and nonpersonal nouns. To makes things funnier, in plural form there is only personal-masculine and non-personal-masculine (or non-masculine-personal - I'm not sure, how to translate that). And then you learn, that some nouns don't have singular form even if they refer to single objects.

At any rate, I still think, that the choice of pronoun has little to do with the composition of the hive-mind in question, since one can have organs with varied grammatical gender and it has no baring on the gender of the whole being.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

12. - Top - End - #192

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    More than just the ships. I'm not sure any of the Toughs carry a weapon that wouldn't qualify for WMD status depending on your definition of "mass." Man-portable anti-starship fullerened antimatter RPG's, concealed antimatter grenades, that little pistol of Murtagh's, everything Shlock has ever touched.

Actually, does Legs carry a sidearm at all? I don't remember.
    At best, her newest armor suit might have attached weapons, but I don't recall seeing a gun of some kind held.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    It sounds more like the array irradiates the hell out of itself rather than whatever it's targeting. Also we know there's something going on with the ship, this could be an elaborate story to keep her from getting a look at it to see what it actually is.
    +1--although it might not even be an elaborate story; it could be the unvarnished truth, and so long as what the Toughs are trying to hide isn't subject to radiation damage, it could be kept in the dangerous place just fine (although getting it in and out might be a problem!).

14. - Top - End - #194
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ryuplaneswalker View Post
    That sounds exactly like the sort of crowd who would read Schlock Mercenary.
    Well, it has been referred to as "the only community where people will assume that '30 inch sniper rifle' refers to the diameter of the barrel."
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by ChowGuy View Post
    Well, it has been referred to as "the only community where people will assume that '30 inch sniper rifle' refers to the diameter of the barrel."
    All of the boom.

16. - Top - End - #196

In all fairness, arguing: "Yhea, I know there are thousands of fakers, but MY pill will genuinely enlarge your penis" is rarely a selling argument for scammers.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Somewhere out there, there's a Nigerian prince who lost 100 lbs. in 30 days and makes $2000/week from home, who wants nothing more in life than to help other people.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
    Somewhere out there, there's a Nigerian prince who lost 100 lbs. in 30 days and makes $2000/week from home, who wants nothing more in life than to help other people.
    Poor guy, couldn't even give away that fancy car he promised to the one millionth visitor to his website.

Which reminds me just how long it's been since I actually saw that one. Did it stop or does my pop-up blocker just catch them better than it did in 1999?
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    Poor guy, couldn't even give away that fancy car he promised to the one millionth visitor to his website.

Which reminds me just how long it's been since I actually saw that one. Did it stop or does my pop-up blocker just catch them better than it did in 1999?
    It's still around, but it's not normally a car these days. Usually an iPod or a Kindle or something.

Though I bet the Toughs could sell their ships, a ship is a ship after all, they just wouldn't get fair value for them.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

20. - Top - End - #200

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    It's still around, but it's not normally a car these days. Usually an iPod or a Kindle or something.

Though I bet the Toughs could sell their ships, a ship is a ship after all, they just wouldn't get fair value for them.
    They just need to do a...

Demonstration?

21. - Top - End - #201
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    Does this expedition by Neosynchronicity into Sol have anything to do with the Toughs selling the ships? I thought that was all being negotiated back on Parnassus Dom.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe it's the tiny little detail, that the whole hull is made out of transuranic alloys. Nobody in known space has enough of those to spend them on anything else then annie plants.
    This theory got shot down particularly hard and specifically today.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    This theory got shot down particularly hard and specifically today.
    Indeed it was, so I have to wonder, what is it that they need to hide and at the same time, what is it that they try to sell?

edit: on a related note, I do like that the technology does march on in Schlockverse.
    Last edited by Radar; 2014-04-18 at 03:32 AM.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sum1won View Post
    Something being in a contract doesn't make it enforceable. I'd be willing to wager that a general contractual provision for mandated unspecified surgery would not be enforceable in the modern U.S., especially if her original job didn't have anything to do with it, in which case she could not have reasonably expected it would come up.
    The UNS does not play anywhere near as nice as the U.S. does in its grimmest moments. The UNS, in fact, appears to be an openly, unapologetically violent dictatorship whose legal system grants people with even moderate amounts of authority the power of life and death over any prisoner, permits torture to be used openly at the whim of any officer, and which is ready to kill anyone and anything who crosses it even minorly. I personally can't see much difference between the UNS and the Obenn, other than the amount of fur.
    Last edited by Bulldog Psion; 2014-04-18 at 10:30 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

25. - Top - End - #205
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I got the impression that the UNS may have formal rules against that stuff; it just doesn't enforce them at all well. However, a recent footnote on one strip said the UNS legislative body is explicitly a plutocracy - so no, it's not even trying much to look nice.
    Spinnin' that Disc...

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    I personally can't see much difference between the UNS and the Obenn, other than the amount of fur.
    The UNS, more precisely two representatives of one element of one branch of the UNS military, has been shown to be willing to take out the crew of one small warship and carry out a deniable strike with disposable mercenaries in order to preserve secrecy. Meanwhile, when the Toughs accepted a contract to take out a pair of street gangs (granted, that was a bonus to get paid more times for something they were going to do anyway), they used non-lethal means only, while the same was true when they believed they were hired for riot control, and they preferred to pay the Tough's superfortress to go away instead of simply sending a couple of battleplates to crush it into fuel. In addition, the UNS is an openly multispecies nation with very clear traditions of equality.

The O'Benn are openly xenocidal and plan to execute the entire galaxy for the crime of "existing while not being O'benn."

We've seen plenty of nastiness out of the UNS, to be sure. O'benn nasty? Not even close.

27. - Top - End - #207

I agree with Gnoman. I mean, the USN have had some disreputable elements in its military and intelligence agencies, but they are just trying to preserve their security.

O'Benn are openly genocidal and warmongerers. They make me think of myself when I play a 4X space game

28. - Top - End - #208
    Troll in the Playground

Man, is there anything short of hard vaccuum that can hinder Schlock's hearing?
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

29. - Top - End - #209

A vat of genuine imitation ovalquik perhaps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

30. - Top - End - #210

Probably not, with the exception of course, being signal interference. (lots of extra sounds and what not)
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.